watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Espanyol line up Fulham's Jokanovic

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 18, 2017, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Doubt very much that he would go there. His Spanish is far worse than his English. Madness to even think of replacing him until at least the end of the season.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: grandad on December 18, 2017, 09:26:54 PM
Doubt very much that he would go there. His Spanish is far worse than his English. Madness to even think of replacing him until at least the end of the season.
Got to agree with 'Grandad' here.
Lets see where we are in March.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Asotosyios

So, what happened to stability? What happened to all the "We have our Fulham back" and "Slavisa; making Fulham great again" quotes and flags from last year? What happened to all the compliments about the football we played? All forgotten, so quickly and so predictably. We want to think of ourselves as different, but we are exact copies of the "traditional" fans' mould; get the results or get out of here. I agree we are underachieving this year; I expected us to be better and built on last year's 6th place. It hasn't happened so far; neither the results, nor the performances have been great. However, we have forgotten how we overachieved last year and the euphoria of the second-half season created high expectations for this year.

I like Jokanovic and don't think though that he has changed in these 6 months: as they say, you are never as good as people think you are when you are winning and not as bad as people think you are when you are losing. He is not the best manager and definitely not the worse one, but I think he is a good fit for Fulham. Perhaps I am just biased or blind, because I like the possession football we play or, at least, are trying to play (and am glad we play that way). Still, I don't think a bad season or half-season should lead us to knee-jerk reactions. He has a contract until the end of next season and I want us to have another go with him at the helm, even if we finish between 10-16 this year. I believe that our owner feels the same.

Matt10

Quote from: Asotosyios on December 18, 2017, 11:28:38 PM
So, what happened to stability? What happened to all the "We have our Fulham back" and "Slavisa; making Fulham great again" quotes and flags from last year? What happened to all the compliments about the football we played? All forgotten, so quickly and so predictably. We want to think of ourselves as different, but we are exact copies of the "traditional" fans' mould; get the results or get out of here. I agree we are underachieving this year; I expected us to be better and built on last year's 6th place. It hasn't happened so far; neither the results, nor the performances have been great. However, we have forgotten how we overachieved last year and the euphoria of the second-half season created high expectations for this year.

I like Jokanovic and don't think though that he has changed in these 6 months: as they say, you are never as good as people think you are when you are winning and not as bad as people think you are when you are losing. He is not the best manager and definitely not the worse one, but I think he is a good fit for Fulham. Perhaps I am just biased or blind, because I like the possession football we play or, at least, are trying to play (and am glad we play that way). Still, I don't think a bad season or half-season should lead us to knee-jerk reactions. He has a contract until the end of next season and I want us to have another go with him at the helm, even if we finish between 10-16 this year. I believe that our owner feels the same.

Well said, and it's good to challenge the status quo once in a while.

I spent all of last season not joining any boards because I didn't want to spend time arguing, etc. I've found this place in particular though, a breath of fresh air. Yes, there are some very logical Point A-B discussions and responses, but I think you need that so comments like yours are more impactful to having open and honest conversations.

I don't want our manager gone. I don't want Fulham to be another cliche club and fall down the endless spiral of manager whack-a-mole. If it were up to me, we would have never sacked Jol (of course, I'd rather keep Roy, but that wasn't in the stars). I can only imagine where the club would be if Jol was still in charge. Sure he's a stubborn nut, but he would've figured a way out of it and to have a club invested in a manager for once would have been an interesting sight.

And that's where I think your post hits home. When was the last time any club took care of their manager as best as the manager wants to take care of their club? Anyone here ever work contract positions? I used to do this for 3 years, 3 different companies. How can you commit when you know the other side isn't committed to you?

I highly suggest watching the Netflix movie called "Trainer!" that has a point in which it talks to the owner and discusses why Frank Schmidt has served the club for so long (since 2007, promoted FC Heidenheim from 3.Liga to 2.Liga). It was an incredible moment in the documentary that brought me some hope to work for an owner like that someday in this profession.

On the other side of the conversation though, I can't agree with the manager's decision making because he's not getting the results from his players. A saying I lived with as a striker was "Shoulda, woulda, coulda, doesn't score goals" (I'm American obviously), and that is exactly where we are at. We're not scoring goals. We're having plenty of chances, but we're not scoring goals. Because of its simplicity of not scoring goals, it begs for a simple solution..."sack the manager" or "buy a proven striker". Sack the manager because the belief is that he won't change his stubborn ways, thus we'll never get the goals. Or buy a proven striker so that on paper the fans can feel better about the manager/club/future, since they've also given up with some of the players who wear the shirt, and are also invested in the club. 

Watching the 90 min replays matches each week (I watch the current season and last season), and the energy is completely different last year. The football moved quicker than ever, and there was a sense of purpose to score goals. What I see now is a lot of hesitancy and decisions based on not wanting to be the one to screw up. This suggests that there is an indecision or lack of belief in the process, which creates such a heavy burden to perform. I mean, look at Betts, apologizing to the fans. Here they are taking ownership for the matches and apologize to the fans, and we want their manager to be sacked?

We have to get out of this customer service mentality. Like Slav is just the rep you deal with to get the job done, and if he doesn't, tell his supervisor to sack him because he's incompetent. We need to end this cycle of managerial hiring and firings. I feel like Slav is in it for the long haul, but there are many of those that have the power of suggestion such as conspiracies of him tanking the team for his own benefit, or wanting to go find another club on his own. Regardless, I want to see what he has in store each and every day. I want to see a drastic change from him that can be pushed onto the players. Just like any relationship, there is a moment to commit or bounce, the only question here is who's going to do it first, the fans, the players or the manager?

Baszab

Very eloquently put ....and yes we were brilliant in the second half of last season..........however I go to most games and sit close to SJ and I can tell you there is something wrong with the attitude of the players and staff this year - if you actually watch the players live, the game plan looks stale and needs a shake up - tactically, motivationally and personnel - unfortunately life changes and nothing is for ever

toshes mate

Two excellent contributions above from Asotosyios and Matt10 which reflect upon what really helps any team in sport to prosper.  Stability. 

In any relationship the ability to negotiate through the good and bad spots with the same equanimity is priceless when it comes to preserving the things that make any relationship work. 

If Fulham had failed last season then I could understand the negatives about SJ better, but Fulham didn't fail, they nearly succeeded.  And not only that the football Fulham played was widely acknowledged as being sensational and not only from just those interested in the Championship.  This season's outcomes have not been at that level and yet, particularly looking back at last Saturday's ninety minute TV rerun, the signs are still there that we are not far away from that final step in the long climb to being better.

Sure we could get a better coach than SJ but we could also get a worse coach and the latter is a much more likely outcome than the former.   Keep what you have until it becomes impossible to hold onto.

hovewhite

I worry that lraving the chioce of getting the new head coach in the hands of the khans.

Twig

I would come out strongly in terms of the stability arguments were it not for SJ's infuriating insistence on playing Sess at LB.  he has no excuses, Odoi is more than competent in this position and SJ's intransigence on the issue is driving me to distraction.

I said on another thread that it reminds me of Tigana's insistence on playing Steve Marlet as a central striker when it was obvious he was a winger.  That inflexibility did for Tigana's career and I fear it could be the same with Jokanovic.

jarv

It was not Joka's fault that 3 players left for other teams against his wishes and not adequately replaced, Cairney got injured and Johansen picked up an injury as well for a few games. It has been said before, you don't go from being rated the best footballing team in the division to the poor showing today without some great assistance from the club management.

ron

"Could anyone left at the club do me a favour and post this on the wall in the dugout addressed to my successor....?

'To whom it may concern;

I'm off to the sunshine. I wish you well in your new position, although when I was here, I never got to talk to or see the owner. With a bit of luck, you won't be troubled by him either in your tenure at the Cottage.

As a bit of advice, don't rock the boat. I suggest that you keep insisting during team talks that the defensive line try at all times to play the ball out from the back, not bothering too much if they occasionally get caught in possession. Get the rest of the team to play square or backwards, and whatever you do, keep picking Fonte on the understanding that he must always be facing the wrong way, and be as deep as possible. Sessegnon is a very promising attacking left midfielder, so threaten to drop him if he ventures into the opposing half.

If you do all these things, you'll find they won't even realise I've gone, and you'll be left alone  to enjoy your salary without any of that meddling from above that is so irritating in normal football clubs.

Oh, I nearly forgot - have a couple of platitudes ready...on second thoughts, just one will do...to explain poor performances at post-match interviews on the box.

Best Wishes again,

SJ '"

Riversider

Quote from: MJG on December 18, 2017, 03:21:51 PM
Quote from: Riversider on December 18, 2017, 01:46:13 PM
Oh well
You seem not too bothered if he left?
Its interesting that there have been two twitter polls (A thousand votes between them) over last 24 hours and both give an overwhelming verdict (75% & 81%) that they want Joka to stay in place and they would not sack him.

So ?
What's your point ? Does that make me wrong and others right ?
Kindly explain.

FWIW I posted "Oh well " because there's nothing I can do about it as can nobody else, so it's not anything to concern or worry me , that was all.

FFCAli

Quote from: Twig on December 19, 2017, 11:19:00 AM
I would come out strongly in terms of the stability arguments where it not for SJ's infuriating insistence on playing Sess at LB.  he has no excuses, Odoi is more than competent in this position and SJ's intransigence on the issue is driving me to distraction.
:plus one:  It's this more than anything else that I really can't understand.

bod

We do create many opportunities and send over numerous corners but cannot convert them into goals. If Joka can manage to persuade Khan to sign a decent striker (of his choice??) in January (what's McBride up to these days?), then things should look up in the second half of the season.  With more wins as a result, we will then be praising Joka for a job well done! - I hope!!

We Are Premier League

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 18, 2017, 04:14:18 PM
I am caught between the two. Half of me that's about 50%, tells me, now that Kline has gone, will Jok be able to run the show on the pitch without interference, and has he targeted the right players to bring in, if any. Maybe we would be better off keeping things stable and let him build his team not anyone else's. Rather than changing the manager halfway through the season and maybe even go further backwards, as the current players are not his either
Then again, the other half of me around 50% then reminds me, of Joks bizarre team selections, his game management, his substitutions that generally happen after the horse has bolted.
His habit of continuing to play square pegs in round holes
He appears to lack emotion, passion, motivation, does that rub off on the players.
I get the impression that not every player makes the right effort to play for him.
I fear that his communication skills are lacking.
There is also a stubbornness about him which I am not sure if that's good or bad.
One of my biggest concerns is that I am not sure he can attract the quality players, that other managers can, and that for me is a huge worry.
His system of play is too rigid for comfort, and he is digging a hole for himself, he is not playing to some players strengths, and that is to the detriment of the team.
Our League position shows me that Jok who overseas the team in training and on the pitch in matches, and with only 7 wins in 22 is losing the battle.
We are currently not heading in the right direction.
So I am just glad I haven't got to make the decision,
But Jok better start getting his judgement right far more often than not from now on.
Because this inconsistency on the field of play, and watching the team and Jok appear to make the same errors of judgement with the same post match excuses every time we lose or draw, and when we do win, it's more often than not by the skin of our teeth.
Therefore it's a must do better half term report.
But I am extremely disappointed with him and Khan Junior and the rest of the recruiting dept, as they are so far failing miserably, and Jok and the rest of them are running out of credibility very quickly at our expense.
Nevertheless it doesn't do any harm to monitor who else is out there, because the time could come sooner rather than later, and you have to have a back up plan if issues are taken out of the clubs hands.
The other concern is that I have no confidence with the Chairman/Owner or his team to be able to resolve any issues with the best solution.

wow, hard to see how you feel that you are on the fence after reading that...95ish% negative comments (of which a large part is perfectly valid)

I will hold my judgement of our Head Coach until in early/mid January.

Asotosyios

Just putting this here, so that it won't get lost on Wednesday's Fulham stuff thread:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-speaks-14083093

I know a lot here will be pleased if  Jokanovic left, but I hope there is no such offer from Swansea

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: mlangstrom on December 19, 2017, 11:56:00 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 18, 2017, 04:14:18 PM
I am caught between the two. Half of me that's about 50%, tells me, now that Kline has gone, will Jok be able to run the show on the pitch without interference, and has he targeted the right players to bring in, if any. Maybe we would be better off keeping things stable and let him build his team not anyone else's. Rather than changing the manager halfway through the season and maybe even go further backwards, as the current players are not his either
Then again, the other half of me around 50% then reminds me, of Joks bizarre team selections, his game management, his substitutions that generally happen after the horse has bolted.
His habit of continuing to play square pegs in round holes
He appears to lack emotion, passion, motivation, does that rub off on the players.
I get the impression that not every player makes the right effort to play for him.
I fear that his communication skills are lacking.
There is also a stubbornness about him which I am not sure if that's good or bad.
One of my biggest concerns is that I am not sure he can attract the quality players, that other managers can, and that for me is a huge worry.
His system of play is too rigid for comfort, and he is digging a hole for himself, he is not playing to some players strengths, and that is to the detriment of the team.
Our League position shows me that Jok who overseas the team in training and on the pitch in matches, and with only 7 wins in 22 is losing the battle.
We are currently not heading in the right direction.
So I am just glad I haven't got to make the decision,
But Jok better start getting his judgement right far more often than not from now on.
Because this inconsistency on the field of play, and watching the team and Jok appear to make the same errors of judgement with the same post match excuses every time we lose or draw, and when we do win, it's more often than not by the skin of our teeth.
Therefore it's a must do better half term report.
But I am extremely disappointed with him and Khan Junior and the rest of the recruiting dept, as they are so far failing miserably, and Jok and the rest of them are running out of credibility very quickly at our expense.
Nevertheless it doesn't do any harm to monitor who else is out there, because the time could come sooner rather than later, and you have to have a back up plan if issues are taken out of the clubs hands.
The other concern is that I have no confidence with the Chairman/Owner or his team to be able to resolve any issues with the best solution.

wow, hard to see how you feel that you are on the fence after reading that...95ish% negative comments (of which a large part is perfectly valid)

I will hold my judgement of our Head Coach until in early/mid January.

Yes you are 95% correct.
Please amend 95% negative to 95% realistic, and I can see by your observations that you feel that a large part of that realistic 95% is perfectly valid, and I also agree to reserve judgement until early mid/ January.
I also note on other threads over the period of this season so far that some people are accused by others of being fickle when expressing their views on the bizzare way this club is operated and run at times.
Well I am not sure they are fickle, and I don't think that's a fair judgement.
I reckon it's more the case of not being commatosed when the club are making such a pigs ear off of the back of an encouraging play off place last spring to some of the keystone cops shenanigans that have occurred unnecessary since then.
The thing we must all remember, and I include myself, is that if we behave like a door mat, we will be treated like one. That's why these supporters who are accused of being fickle, but are actually standing up for what they believe in, if they feel the club or Chairman or owner or manager or players are not doing enough to match their ambitions and aspirations, which at times they clearly were not.
Otherwise we would get nothing done, and we wouldn't live happily ever after.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Delboy

We have a fantastic manager who knows the game and wants his team to play it stylishly. He can only use the tools at his disposal. If, in the transfer window, he gets the players he has asked the board for and we don't get better then he can be judged accordingly. In Slav I trust. COYW.

filham

We really should have one or two managers under review just in case Jocanovic decides to walk.
Jocanovic could possibly take us into a play off position again and we really need to retain him until we see that is not possible.

Count Flapula

Makes me chuckle reading all these "Slav out / hurry up" etc. posts on here as if all he is doing is holding up the arrival of Pep on his trusty steed to lead our march to inevitable Champions League glory in 2020.

Opinions aside, let's look at some facts / hopefully add some perspective:

- Led Watford to the league title in this very division a few years back.
- Took Fulham from 21st to 6th in his first full season with some of the best football played with virtually the same team as now.
- Of the players missing from last season, Slav lamented Malone wasn't adequately replaced and also stated he didn't want Aluko to leave. Factors out of his control.
- He has also stated we need more competition at CB and we are in desperate need of a goal scoring no.9 - again all out of his ultimate control under the current set-up, yet he is either blamed for being tactically inflexible / blamed when he does change his tactics to try and get the best out of his currently unbalanced squad he has been handed.
- Whereas last season we were fairly lucky with injuries, this season we have been hit with injuries to key players such as StefJo, TC, Ayite, Piazon, Kalas and Ojo. Given our squad is already unbalanced, asking anyone to put together a title contending run against teams such as millionaire playboys Wolves is expecting a lot.
- When SJ has had a fairly balanced squad and lucky with injuries, we have performed well / got the points to go with it.

Yes he has made some questionable tactical decisions, but so did Pep last season and now look at Man City. He has just had more luck with injuries this season and been given the players that now fit his system.

My point being, factoring all the above points when SJ is afforded players that fit his system and luck with injuries we perform - his teams get results, so why get rid of the manager? Just give him the players he (and most of us) can see he needs in January. It's far too lazy to blame the coach when things aren't going right - most the time it is their fault but that doesn't stack up presently given the clubs recent recruitment not fitting his system / injuries to key players - all factors out of his control. The evidence is there that if you back Jok then he will deliver.