watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Ryan Fredericks

Started by bog, January 09, 2018, 09:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I see Swansea are eyeing up Fred. Apparently he is out of contract in the summer. Why is he not on longer one? If we let him go well.... :doh:

092.gif

Marcel_Gecov

He isn't on a longer one because he hasn't signed one. He has a choice in this too.

bog

The point I was trying to make is that I hope the club has tried to sign him on longer contract.

092.gif

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: bog on January 09, 2018, 09:45:43 AM
The point I was trying to make is that I hope the club has tried to sign him on longer contract.

092.gif

Apparently they have. Whether it's money or league etc that's holding him back from signing da ting I don't know.

filham

Quite right bog, all of our best players should be tied down to at least a 12 month contract to keep predators away.

The fact that Fredericks is able to leave for free in the summer suggest negligence by our management/ admin.

bog

What concerns me is what our manager thinks of it....we miss Malone and of Fred goes as well....a lack of ambition by our chairman seems to show up if he does. MAF in his prime would never have allowed this.

092.gif

Deeping_white

Quote from: filham on January 09, 2018, 09:51:39 AM
Quite right bog, all of our best players should be tied down to at least a 12 month contract to keep predators away.

The fact that Fredericks is able to leave for free in the summer suggest negligence by our management/ admin.

How about the fact that we opened contract talks already twice this season and they were put off due to him, rather than the club? Still the clubs fault?

Bill2

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 09, 2018, 10:24:46 AM

How about the fact that we opened contract talks already twice this season and they were put off due to him, rather than the club? Still the clubs fault?
This is what I feel is the situation. He is quite within his rights in not signing a new contract, holding out for more money or a move. The question I have is how valuable is he to the Club as the papers are mentioning a £3 mill offer,  even though he has only a few months left on his contract. These days that is quite small fry and may not be enough for the Club sell him if it weakens the team and he can't be replaced.

bill taylors apprentice

Whichever way you look at it his move to Bristol C and then a move to us after almost no time was a bit odd!

If he's now looking to further his career/salary by running his contract down who can blame him, its the modern way.

What exactly does he bring to the team (or not)
He has pace, lots of pace!
He is quick to recover and make a challenge or close down the opposition.
He gets on the ball in positions that stretch the opposition.
errrrr ?

He's not good in the air, in fact he's poor.
You wouldn't call him an asset at dead ball situations, at either end.
He's temperamental, likely to do something rash.
Either, crosses blind to no one or his poor technique lets him down.
Almost never gives the defender a decision to make by running into the box with the ball.
Considering the times he gets the ball in areas where there's potential for a shot, pass, cross etc the success rate is low.

Having said all that I quite like him, and he's worth his place, the opposition have to keep an eye on him due to his speed but he lacks a football brain and flatters  more than delivers. 

If his delay in contract talks are a bargaining tool to get a better deal, fair enough but if we sell him now it highlights to me that business model is too inflexible

S.F.Sorrow

I'm not that worried if Fredericks goes. I'm more worried how we replace him. We might see a Malone situation all over again, only worse as we will be force to use Odoi at RB, losing valuable cover at CB/LB.

If Fredericks won't sign a new contract and wants to go I don't see the point of forcing him to stay until summer. Selling him now might  be the best available option. At least it will give Odoi a chance to play in his best position. This will of course leave us with only Kalas and Ream as realistic options at CB (assuming Madl goes) meaning we will probably need two CBs this window. And THAT's the main problem for me because it will never happen. We will also need cover at RB unless Steven Sessegnon (or some other youngster) is ready.

Personally I think Fredericks is a bit overrated. Not that he's a bad player but it's all about his pace. We always look more dangerous attacking on the left. With Fredericks we end up loosing possession far too often. Odoi will do a fine job at RB but the lack of cover in defence is worrying.

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on January 09, 2018, 11:15:30 AM
This season he was already in his final year, so we've already left it late, giving him more leverage, risking other clubs coming in, and potentially leaving him feel a bit unwanted. Discussions should have been opened early last season, ie late 2016, and if he still hadn't signed by last summer 2017, it could/should have been put to him than that we'd buy and integrate a replacement or bring though Steven Sessegnon ahead of him
I agree we should have been quicker off the mark especially given the fact both Fredericks and Malone were instrumental in making the first half of last season better than it may otherwise have been.  He seems a strong minded guy and may prove difficult to shift if he has made his mind up that his future is elsewhere with or without promotion. 

New Kid on the Block

He hasn't gone yet, and may not want to. Let's not be presumptuous.

bog

What concerns me is that when Malone and Fredericks were at full throttle last season we were superb, Malone as gone and we have struggled down the left for consistency and not replaced him....if Fred went also....emm. It is just that after 65 years of I tend to worry easily....

Thank you and good night

092.gif

Dodger53

Let him go, he really isn't that good. Poor defender and poor at picking out the best cross for the situation facing him. Pace, he has it but doesn't always seem willing to use it.

MJG

thing is Fredericks seems to be the odd one out of all the squad. When you look at the length of all the contracts we seem to have done a very good job of getting them to sign long term. I suspect contract talks have been long in discussion and we know his agent has been dealing with it and for whatever reason it's not signed.
Easy to knock the management on this issue but on the flip side as I say he seems to be the odd one out in not having agreed to an extension unlike many others.
Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

To back up my last post here is a list of the main first team squad contracts.

Just the views of a long term fan

bog

Emmm...perhaps he wants a higher stage...if it don't look like with us then he will be off. 

092.gif

grandad

As usual the same few turn every thread into an anti Khan situation.
The management can´t force a player into signing a contract extension. If the player is holding out for more money than our salary base there is not a lot that can be done.
Malone wanted to play in the Premiership. Not really got his wish there. Aluko wanted more money than he was worth. He got his money but not a lot else.
With Fredericks he is probably looking at a final 3 year deal with a big increase in wages. If the club are not prepared to do either then it´s best that we cash in now. The club are not prepared to be held to ransom. Quite right too as if they caved in it would be a domino situation with other players.
It is all a shame really as I have always liked Fredericks.
Where there's a will there's a wife

MikeW

Let's not forget there is a mitigating factor in all this - the M4.  The last time Fred ventured down it to Bristol City he got homesick and was back in weeks.  Swansea is twice as far - plus it's a different country.  Nosebleed territory for him. Can he cope with this?
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

f321ffc

Quote from: grandad on January 09, 2018, 03:44:53 PM
As usual the same few turn every thread into an anti Khan situation.
The management can´t force a player into signing a contract extension. If the player is holding out for more money than our salary base there is not a lot that can be done.
Malone wanted to play in the Premiership. Not really got his wish there. Aluko wanted more money than he was worth. He got his money but not a lot else.
With Fredericks he is probably looking at a final 3 year deal with a big increase in wages. If the club are not prepared to do either then it´s best that we cash in now. The club are not prepared to be held to ransom. Quite right too as if they caved in it would be a domino situation with other players.
It is all a shame really as I have always liked Fredericks.
:plus one:
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional