watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Denis Odoi

Started by Peabody, March 07, 2018, 08:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

What about his amazing run in the second half?

bobbo

Yeah it was amazing. And what's not good about it is . Back in the earlier days he would have got through before the cynical tackle came in . I was sooo not surprised he didn't make to goal it's just how the game is nowadays - sad and not for the good.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

snarks

Was saying that Kalas wouldn't have done that. Very impressed with Denis last night (again)

bucksfulham

I was impressed too but in the second half he was very lucky to get away with two dreadful passes which were intercepted and could have put us in trouble.

Milo

Quote from: snarks on March 07, 2018, 09:56:22 AM
Was saying that Kalas wouldn't have done that. Very impressed with Denis last night (again)

Ha ha very unfair. Since when is "defence splitting runs" a key defender criteria? I get what you mean though.

snarks

Quote from: Milo on March 07, 2018, 10:10:25 AM
Quote from: snarks on March 07, 2018, 09:56:22 AM

Ha ha very unfair. Since when is "defence splitting runs" a key defender criteria? I get what you mean though.

Yes it is unfair, and as you gathered not a criticism of Kalas, I just meant the confidence/ability to do it.

filham

Odoi was heading straight for goal when that tackle came in , thought the ref may have given a red card instead of the yellow.

Chutney

Odoi has been excellent for us in multiple roles now, he's the new chris baird in my eyes, you can play him anywhere any he won't let you down.
C O Y W

MJG

Surprised no one has mentioned his too dreadful passes he made second half.
Just the views of a long term fan

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: MJG on March 07, 2018, 11:50:30 AM

They were horrible and could have cost us dearly. Odoi is one of my favourite players but he can be a bit reckless. He can do spectacular things but when he fails he also fails spectacularly.

I have no problems with Odoi starting at ANY position on our defense but I expect Kalas to be back at CB when he's fit. A bit harsh on Odoi but Kalas is the safer option at CB.

Southcoastffc

After his introduction to Fulham (v Newcastle first game of last season when he did that wonderful trick with the ball on his back) I'll forgive Denis Odoi anything.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Twig

I take a different view.  I would like to see Odoi continue instead of Kalas.  Yes, there were two misplaced passes but he gives us so much in other parts of the game.; a great deal of our build up play went through Dennis, he is a ballplayer like Ream and that takes some pressure off Tim, he is not afraid to get forward either on a run or in support and that gives us an extra option.  No CB is perfect (well very few) but for me Odoi edges it over Kalas given our style of play.

MJG

Quote from: Twig on March 07, 2018, 01:06:44 PM
I take a different view.  I would like to see Odoi continue instead of Kalas.  Yes, there were two misplaced passes but he gives us so much in other parts of the game.; a great deal of our build up play went through Dennis, he is a ballplayer like Ream and that takes some pressure off Tim, he is not afraid to get forward either on a run or in support and that gives us an extra option.  No CB is perfect (well very few) but for me Odoi edges it over Kalas given our style of play.
I will disagree.
As well as Odoi has done in covering that position his body positioning as a full back is one reason why he made those two bad passes. He goes to square on where as other CB's can pass crossfield standing at a different angle. Its not the first time he has done it.
He makes up for a lot of his lacking as a centre back using his general overall ability, but a CB he is not and I would revert to Kalas when fit.

MrFFC

Odoi is very underrated. I like him a at CB good competition for Kalas for the run in
Come on you Whites!! :)

Carborundum

Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 07, 2018, 01:05:42 PM
After his introduction to Fulham (v Newcastle first game of last season when he did that wonderful trick with the ball on his back) I'll forgive Denis Odoi anything.
Me too. One of the most extraordinary things I'll see on a pitch.  Probably the only championship defender the phrase "free spirit" can be applied to.

He and Ream together may work for some games, but Kalas at centre back seems a better option.

VicHalomsLovechild

I like the fella and just like Chris Baird he has the utility player cross to bear. Not having a defined position probably means even in training he's moved here there and everywhere. So those little kinks in his playing style never gets coached out of him.
In the few interviews he's given on the offal he comes across as a smart guy. As did Bairdino. After that run Tuesday night maybe we should call him Odoieoo?

Carborundum

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on March 08, 2018, 08:19:22 AM
After that run Tuesday night maybe we should call him Odoieoo?
..and thus the first yodelling football chant was brought into creation

bucksfulham

Look above and you'll see that's exactly what I said.

MJG

Quote from: bucksfulham on March 08, 2018, 09:19:50 AM
Look above and you'll see that's exactly what I said.
Stand corrected, missed it.

Deeping_white

Quote from: MJG on March 07, 2018, 01:10:54 PM
Quote from: Twig on March 07, 2018, 01:06:44 PM
I will disagree.
As well as Odoi has done in covering that position his body positioning as a full back is one reason why he made those two bad passes. He goes to square on where as other CB's can pass crossfield standing at a different angle. Its not the first time he has done it.
He makes up for a lot of his lacking as a centre back using his general overall ability, but a CB he is not and I would revert to Kalas when fit.

Another thing which might be me being slightly picky is his tendency to get caught under the ball when crosses come from out wide into the box. He's done it a couple of times this season and it happened early on again on Tuesday. Don't get me wrong because I love how versatile he is to play across any position in the back four, but I just see Kalas as the slightly more solid centre half option.