https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2018/19

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 17, 2018, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gang

Quote from: FFC NY on July 17, 2018, 12:19:36 PM
According to Turkish social media we are back in for Fabri at 5 million Euros

Makes sense now we have offloaded Button.

St. Andrews White

+1

6 signings give us quality and depth, only a few small holes which should be left for the academy players such as O'Reilly etc
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 17, 2018, 01:35:24 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 17, 2018, 12:32:35 PM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 17, 2018, 12:10:42 PM
Perhaps, but we are running out of time and have more or less reached the point where getting someone who has played here successfully before and knows our style will be a wiser choice than a better player who hasn't.

Sadly I don't think we will get Targett. We can't afford to wait for Southampton to make up their mind and gamble on a last minute loan.

As ridiculous as it sounds I personally think we need to see a new player every 3 days from now until deadline day to have a competetive squad. And that's the absolute minumum IMO.  :022:

Indeed

3 weeks left of the window and we need 10 players IMO

One every other day

Also reckon we need 2/3 more Seri level signings. One of them per week.

How have you arrived at 10 players? We don't need to sign basically a whole team's worth of players when we've already got probably 5 or 6 of our main Starting XI for next season and decent depth in some areas already. I'd be happy with 6. A Keeper (Fabri), a RCB (Musacchio), a LB (Augustinsson, Bryan, Targett), a back-up DM (M'Vila), a Right-Winger (Cavaleiro, Malcom etc.) and a Striker (Mitrovic).

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on July 17, 2018, 02:59:05 PM
Quote from: MrFFC on July 17, 2018, 02:45:32 PM
We may need 10 players but we won't sign 10 players I personally think we will see another 6/7 in next few weeks with likes of Steven Sessegnon & Matt O'Riley also coming in to the squad

For me we should rule out Djalo, Cisse, Fonte and Woodrow which leaves 13 first team players. Arguably you could take Kebano out too, given Jokanovic didn't seem to have confidence in him in the Championship, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

IMO you need a squad of about 25 players - something like 23 senior players and 2/3 youths making up the numbers.

Remember in the PL a matchday squad is 18 players. You need to be able to suffer 5 or so injuries at any one time and still be able to name a complete squad.

IMO we need GK, RB, RCB, LB, RW, CF in the first team and for competition, another two midfielders, a winger and a forward.

I wouldnt rule out Fonte either, his amount of game time last season is completely different to the others. You can also consider Rodak as currently the sub GK who wont go out until a GK is signed. So back at 15... still require 6-8 players I think but

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on July 17, 2018, 02:59:05 PM
Quote from: MrFFC on July 17, 2018, 02:45:32 PM
We may need 10 players but we won't sign 10 players I personally think we will see another 6/7 in next few weeks with likes of Steven Sessegnon & Matt O'Riley also coming in to the squad

For me we should rule out Djalo, Cisse, Fonte and Woodrow which leaves 13 first team players. Arguably you could take Kebano out too, given Jokanovic didn't seem to have confidence in him in the Championship, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

IMO you need a squad of about 25 players - something like 23 senior players and 2/3 youths making up the numbers.

Remember in the PL a matchday squad is 18 players. You need to be able to suffer 5 or so injuries at any one time and still be able to name a complete squad, surely. Thank goodness AFCON has moved because that's 4 players right there. 

IMO we still need GK, RB, RCB, LB, RW, CF in the first team and for competition, another two midfielders, a winger and a forward. 

Just for context, we've signed 10-15 players every summer recently and that's been without the massive need to step up which we have to do this year.

So let's dissect this...

"For me we should rule out Djalo, Cisse, Fonte and Woodrow which leaves 13 first team players. Arguably you could take Kebano out too, given Jokanovic didn't seem to have confidence in him in the Championship, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt."

That's fair enough. Only one I can see being in and around the 18 next season is Fonte depending on what options Jokanovic wants on the bench. Good start.

"IMO you need a squad of about 25 players - something like 23 senior players and 2/3 youths making up the numbers."

How many PL teams have 23 senior players on their books (other than the Chelsea's and City's who have loan armies that are yet to be deployed as it's Mid-July)? Other than the ones in Europe I'd bet at the most 2 or 3.

"Remember in the PL a matchday squad is 18 players."

As opposed to last season in the Championship where it was clearly only 5 subs and it was roll-on roll-off subs. Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

"You need to be able to suffer 5 or so injuries at any one time and still be able to name a complete squad."

Again, how many PL teams other than the ones in Europe can do that? Palace completely fell apart at the start of last season because Zaha was injured.

"IMO we need GK, RB, RCB, LB, RW, CF in the first team and for competition, another two midfielders, a winger and a forward."

I've said in a few threads we need 6. That would leave us with;
Keepers; New Signing (Fabri), Bettinelli, Ashby-Hammond/Norman
Defenders;
RB: Christie, Odoi, S. Sessegnon
RCB: New Signing, Odoi
LCB: Le Marchand, Ream (order that however you want)
LB: New LB, Le Marchand, Odoi, Sessegnon if really necessary

Midfielders: Seri, Cairney, McDonald, Johansen, New Signing, O'Riley (could see Fonte ending up in this group as well).

Wingers: Sessegnon, New Signing, AK47, Ayite, Kebano

Strikers: New Signing (Mitrovic), AK47, Fonte.

"Just for context, we've signed 10-15 players every summer recently and that's been without the massive need to step up which we have to do this year."

Last summer we made 14. So we brought in a lot of bodies. And that served us so well. Cisse, Mollo, Graham, Rafa Soares all served us so well. Quality not quantity.

MJG

Here is a breakdown on squad usage last season in the PL

I'd add that if you use West Ham as the average team, then 6 of them made less than 9 apperences
Just the views of a long term fan

Woolly Mammoth

We also have to take into consideration, injuries, suspensions and loss of form.
We are now in the Premier League, and if we come up short, we will get our backsides slapped very hard.
So it might be wise to start placing hard back magazines down the back of our shorts just in case.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MJG on July 17, 2018, 03:43:51 PM

For me if I have done my sums right, that works out at around 24 players per team on average.
Therefore, if we are using that as a marker, then currently two or three of our promising youngsters may get more game time than they realise.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 17, 2018, 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: MJG on July 17, 2018, 03:43:51 PM

For me if I have done my sums right, that works out at around 24 players per team on average.
Therefore, if we are using that as a marker, then currently two or three of our promising youngsters may get more game time than they realise.
And thats about right. The majority of teams will use 3 or 4 youngsters to fill up games here and there. And why not if they are good enough.
We used 28 players last year, 9 played less than 10 games and of those 9 i'd say 4 are youngsters/reserves and the rest were loans/misfires.
Hardcore wise we need 18 and then 2 or 3 full squad players and then rest from youngsters.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on July 17, 2018, 04:03:26 PM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 17, 2018, 03:33:51 PM
How many PL teams have 23 senior players on their books (other than the Chelsea's and City's who have loan armies that are yet to be deployed as it's Mid-July)? Other than the ones in Europe I'd bet at the most 2 or 3.

MJG has saved me time by digging out the stats on this, which seems to be the only part of my post you actually challenge.

Looking at the teams we'll be competing with, Watford, Brighton and Huddersfield, average of 26 players used by each of those teams, of which on average 24 were starters.

On your numbers (14 of the current team plus 6 signings) we'd have Rodak, Steven Sessegnon and O'Riley, oh and Fonte, all starting league games at some point. Very keen to know who you'd have coming off the bench.
Id be careful with the starters number as that could mean they started just one game all season.

wheelerdeeler

MJG has saved me time by digging out the stats on this, which seems to be the only part of my post you actually challenge.

Looking at the teams we'll be competing with, Watford, Brighton and Huddersfield, average of 26 players used by each of those teams, of which on average 24 were starters.

On your numbers (14 of the current team plus 6 signings) we'd have Rodak, Steven Sessegnon and O'Riley, oh and Fonte, all starting league games at some point. Very keen to know who you'd have coming off the bench.

As MJG has just pointed out, having "X" number of starters doesn't equate to having first team regulars.Not sure how you've worked out we'd have to play a 3rd choice Keeper at any point in the league. Unless you can see into the future and see Bettinelli and a Keeper we sign both getting injured at the same time.

I've not seen anything to suggest Jokanovic doesn't like working with a core group of about 20 and then having 3 or 4 kids in and around the squad as well.

In my ideal scenario my Starting XI and Bench would be
New GK; Christie, New CB, Le Marchand/Ream, New LB; McDonald, Cairney, Seri; New RW, New ST (Mitrovic), Sessegnon.
Bettinelli; Le Marchand/Ream, Odoi, New DM, Johansen, AK47, Ayite/Kebano/Fonte

and depending on the game I'd bring on Johansen, AK47, Ream/Le Marchand and/or Odoi if we want to switch to a 5 to protect a lead.

On the starters point, you mention Brighton. Among their "starters". Liam Rosenior (1), Connor Goldson (2), Jamie Murphy (1), Leonardo Ulloa (2), Izzy Brown (4).

wheelerdeeler

And adding on to this you also mention Huddersfield;
Huddersfield;
Martin Cranie (2), Kasey Palmer (1), Abdelhamid Sabiri (2), Joe Lolley (2)

Three of that four weren't even at the club after the January window.

MJG

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 17, 2018, 04:18:57 PM

As MJG has just pointed out, having "X" number of starters doesn't equate to having first team regulars.Not sure how you've worked out we'd have to play a 3rd choice Keeper at any point in the league. Unless you can see into the future and see Bettinelli and a Keeper we sign both getting injured at the same time.

I've not seen anything to suggest Jokanovic doesn't like working with a core group of about 20 and then having 3 or 4 kids in and around the squad as well.

In my ideal scenario my Starting XI and Bench would be
New GK; Christie, New CB, Le Marchand/Ream, New LB; McDonald, Cairney, Seri; New RW, New ST (Mitrovic), Sessegnon.
Bettinelli; Le Marchand/Ream, Odoi, New DM, Johansen, AK47, Ayite/Kebano/Fonte

and depending on the game I'd bring on Johansen, AK47, Ream/Le Marchand and/or Odoi if we want to switch to a 5 to protect a lead.

On the starters point, you mention Brighton. Among their "starters". Liam Rosenior (1), Connor Goldson (2), Jamie Murphy (1), Leonardo Ulloa (2), Izzy Brown (4).
of the 14 players who played the most minutes (Picked 14 as starting XI and 3 subs used) they played a total 92.13% of playing time for Brighton.
The other 10 players had only 7.87% playing time between them.  The equalivant of 7 mins playing time per game.

MJG

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 17, 2018, 04:25:15 PM
And adding on to this you also mention Huddersfield;
Huddersfield;
Martin Cranie (2), Kasey Palmer (1), Abdelhamid Sabiri (2), Joe Lolley (2)

Three of that four weren't even at the club after the January window.
Huddersfield first 14 players played 84.2% of all minutes.

MrFFC

I would rather quality come in personally. I would rather club focused on 6 new signings of real quality instead of average signings where they trying to bring in 10.
For me we need a GK , CB , LB , RM , ST X2

Would be happy to see for example Fabri , Musacchio, Targett , Cavaleiro , Mitrovic , J Ayew.

That would make us so much stronger.
I am happy to see O'Riley come in as a 5th CM & Steven Sessegnon as back up RB a thats what Academy is for for me. Ciise may not be good enough but he was new to England this is his 2nd Pre Season maybe Joka sees progress & thinks he could now be useful. We don't know what happens behind the scenes but after the last few years & the signings of Le Marchand & Seri I trust the club to do what's right for us to have a successful season.

Come on you Whites!! :)

General

Perhaps, but we are running out of time and have more or less reached the point where getting someone who has played here successfully before and knows our style will be a wiser choice than a better player who hasn't.

Sadly I don't think we will get Targett. We can't afford to wait for Southampton to make up their mind and gamble on a last minute loan.

As ridiculous as it sounds I personally think we need to see a new player every 3 days from now until deadline day to have a competetive squad. And that's the absolute minumum IMO.  :022:

Indeed

One every other day

How have you arrived at 10 players? We don't need to sign basically a whole team's worth of players when we've already got probably 5 or 6 of our main Starting XI for next season and decent depth in some areas already. I'd be happy with 6. A Keeper (Fabri), a RCB (Musacchio), a LB (Augustinsson, Bryan, Targett), a back-up DM (M'Vila), a Right-Winger (Cavaleiro, Malcom etc.) and a Striker (Mitrovic). 

Sorry but we need at least two premier league quality signings up front.. and we need depth. We only have one GK, one RB... one semi decent CB in Ream  (who's still got obvious weaknesses at this level), ... in fact that only position we have genuine quality and even the slightest depth is cm with seri, Johansen, Cairney, Mcdonald and Cisse.

MJG

Quote from: General on July 17, 2018, 05:31:34 PM

Indeed

One every other day

Sorry but we need at least two premier league quality signings up front.. and we need depth. We only have one GK, one RB... one semi decent CB in Ream  (who's still got obvious weaknesses at this level), ... in fact that only position we have genuine quality and even the slightest depth is cm with seri, Johansen, Cairney, Mcdonald and Cisse.
while I agree in an ideal world you have same quality across all positions, but that's not possible and you have utility men as well who cover more than one from time to time.
While Rodak and also Norman are not really what I'd like as second keeper, I know they are both good and for me is not something I'll lose sleep over.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on July 17, 2018, 05:16:00 PM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 17, 2018, 04:18:57 PM

But who are these people who are only going to start a few league games for us?

The reason I mentioned Rodak is you're proposing a squad of only 20/21 senior players plus youngsters which I presumed would be Rodak, Steven Sessegnon, O'Riley. So if we use 24 starters like our peers did last year, that means all those kids, including Rodak, getting starts at some point. Maybe Rodak doesn't get used and the 24th starter we have instead is Kait - does that win you the argument?

Sorry but it's all well and good saying "Izzy Brown only started 4 games" but in practical terms, what you're suggesting is next year we have Fonte as our equivalent, starting 4 games (please tell me in advance what those games are because I don't want to watch them) and presumably coming off the bench much more than that, and youngsters who weren't getting a look in for league games next year suddenly on the bench regularly and even thrown into the starting XI for the odd game, which by the way will be against the likes of Hazard and Aguero. It's on of those ideas that sounds ok... until you actually think about it. 

The point I'm trying to make is I don't fundamentally believe we need to have "24 starters" after this window. The average is higher because it includes January transfers, the fact it was a weird season for Keepers in the Prem (Karius/Mignolet, Heaton/Pope, Karnezis/Gomes, Hart/Adrian etc.) which raises the average and it includes end of season rotation such as Ulloa getting a few pity starts at the end of the season, City and Liverpool changing everyone around the Champions League etc.

As MJG has said on here, Brighton and Huddersfield which were your examples had their "14 players" that they,more or less stuck to throughout the whole season. That 14 for me would be New Keeper, Christie, New CB, Le Marchand, New LB, McDonald, Cairney, Seri, New RW, New ST, Sessegnon, Ream, Johansen, AK47.

I won't say no to any further additions on top of my proposed 6 of course, but I'd be mindful of just padding the squad out with no-hopers like we did last summer with Cisse, Graham, Mollo etc. because as you say we're a Premier League team which means we'd be forking out more money for said no hopers. We've made 10+ signings the last two seasons, but we've ended up with among others Jozabed, Cyriac, Petsos, Mollo, Graham and Rafa Soares who have literally just cost us money in wages while barely contributing anything- and I'd rather have a smaller squad than have players hanging around and playing for our U23s in the JPT.

hovewhite

spikey norman

I don't do twitter  but a fellow Fulham fan told me he saw someone write that Mitro was seen at Motspur Park today.
Though someone replied this  was fake news.
Who knows but would love It to be true.