The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2018/19

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 17, 2018, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock

The Rock

Quote from: colinwhite on July 21, 2018, 11:05:25 AM
Quote from: Statto on July 21, 2018, 10:20:19 AM
Quote from: The Rock on July 21, 2018, 03:28:06 AM
Khans won't fail again don't think. After Seri, We mean biz.

It's heart wrenching, but it'll be done.

Mitro came at what time was it?

I hope you're right.

The thing is that even relatively recently, we've still appeared terrible at transfer business at times. Remember January 2017. We had 2 strikers, Chris Martin who wanted to leave, and Matt Smith. The clubs around us were making moves for Rhodes, Nugent, Gestede et al. We sold Matt Smith and failed with a last-minute attempt to sign AK47. Perhaps I occassionally exagerate some drama on here but that evening, when the window shut, I genuinely remember thinking it must be some sort of joke or mistake until about 10am the next morning when it was finally clear beyond all doubt that there was no one else coming in. You could tell from Jokanovic's interviews the next day he felt the same way.

Felt the same Statto . But all those players you mentioned Rhodes etc failed to set the world alight (possible exception of Nugent ),so with the benefit of high insight we did the right thing not to sign any of them.Especially when you consider our FFP predicament  at the time .

Additionally, stat boy Kline is no longer with the club, and SJ may have more say, which isn't a bad thing.

Spirit of 2000

Sergio Gomez from Celta Vigo bid firmly made. Mitro and Fabri deals done. Final bid we're hopeful with of 10 million for Targett. Kalas and Piazon still likely at 8 million for the pair. Now if the majority of that came to fruition and we add two very high level season loans that the club are trying to get in ... we won't be far off. Just coz the revolving door isn't spinning yet, it doesn't mean behind that door every effort isn't being made to push people through. The club are simply trying to keep deals sensible rather than just pay what's initially asked, and you cannot blame FFC for that.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alexbishop on July 21, 2018, 10:47:37 AM
Quote from: Statto on July 21, 2018, 10:20:19 AM
Quote from: The Rock on July 21, 2018, 03:28:06 AM
Khans won't fail again don't think. After Seri, We mean biz.

It's heart wrenching, but it'll be done.

Mitro came at what time was it?

I hope you're right.

The thing is that even relatively recently, we've still appeared terrible at transfer business at times. Remember January 2017. We had 2 strikers, Chris Martin who wanted to leave, and Matt Smith. The clubs around us were making moves for Rhodes, Nugent, Gestede et al. We sold Matt Smith and failed with a last-minute attempt to sign AK47. Perhaps I occassionally exagerate some drama on here but that evening, when the window shut, I genuinely remember thinking it must be some sort of joke or mistake until about 10am the next morning when it was finally clear beyond all doubt that there was no one else coming in. You could tell from Jokanovic's interviews the next day he felt the same way.

Oh god yes I remember that well. I had the same feeling. There's no shame in saying that we aren't fantastic at transfer windows. I wonder if it's because we set our sights quite high in terms of quality of player but don't have the financials to back it up. Ali Mac does like to nickle and dime over fees and wages etc. and I have no issue with that given the relatively small size of the club. The consequence is that we probably lose out on a lot of targets and have to bring players in last minute or, if there's no one available last minute that's an improvement on current players, not bring in any one at all (Jan 17).

Well he didn't save very many nickel and dimes when he threw 9mill down the drain for Fonte last summer.
So perhaps there is a question mark against his judgement and negotiating skills.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

GJB

The championship is a very different league to the premiership, so we should judge Fonte on how he plays off the bench this season, rather than focusing on how he played last year. I may be wrong when I say that I think Fonte will have a better season this year in the new league, but it also can't be said that he is certain to be a flop and a continued waste of money until we have seen his performances, now he has had time to adjust to English football.

I also think Kamara will mature into a more composed threat this season and could be quite a handful for those left back's who are better in attack than defence.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on July 21, 2018, 12:16:29 PM
Sergio Gomez from Celta Vigo bid firmly made. Mitro and Fabri deals done. Final bid we're hopeful with of 10 million for Targett. Kalas and Piazon still likely at 8 million for the pair. Now if the majority of that came to fruition and we add two very high level season loans that the club are trying to get in ... we won't be far off. Just coz the revolving door isn't spinning yet, it doesn't mean behind that door every effort isn't being made to push people through. The club are simply trying to keep deals sensible rather than just pay what's initially asked, and you cannot blame FFC for that.

Who are the loans we're trying to get? I feel like in all of this we're missing a LB so surely that's got to be one of the positions, and I don't see the point in bringing Kalas back if we're trying to buy another CB as that would leave us with 5, nor do I actually see where Piazon fits into the team going forward.

Woolly Mammoth

I agree about Kamara, as for Fonte, he certainly cannot do any worse than last season, so I hope for all our sakes he bucks his ideas up and starts to show why Fulham felt than can invest that kind of money in him.
But the overal lesson there is, and so far Fulham never seem to learn, is not buy a player who is going to spend at least a year acclimatising and settling in, didn't they do their homework on him, seeing as they take so long to make their minds up in the first place.
After all professional players in the main, should be exactly that professional, and make a concerted effort to settle in far quicker.
As for Fonte going by his demeaner off the pitch and on the touchline and in the dressing room, he had settled in quite well already.
Which begs the question why has he not settled on the pitch. Is it ability, is it his mental strength.
We may find out if and when he gets his opportunity next season.
But for me I would not be planning my playing strategy around Fonte.

Never forget your Roots.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Deeping_white on July 21, 2018, 12:51:41 PM
Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on July 21, 2018, 12:16:29 PM

Who are the loans we're trying to get? I feel like in all of this we're missing a LB so surely that's got to be one of the positions, and I don't see the point in bringing Kalas back if we're trying to buy another CB as that would leave us with 5, nor do I actually see where Piazon fits into the team going forward.

Wouldn't surprise me if one of the loans we're trying for was Bolasie.

gang

Please can someone let me know what is a wum? It's obviously an insult but I have asked people here in Hamburg  and nobody knows.

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 21, 2018, 12:52:53 PM
I agree about Kamara, as for Fonte, he certainly cannot do any worse than last season, so I hope for all our sakes he bucks his ideas up and starts to show why Fulham felt than can invest that kind of money in him.
But the overal lesson there is, and so far Fulham never seem to learn, is not buy a player who is going spend at least a year acclimatising and settling in, didn't they do their homework on him, seeing as they take so long to make their minds up in the first place.
After all professional players in the main, should be exactly that professional, and settle in far quicker. As for Fonte going by his demeaner off the pitch and on the touchline and in the dressing room, he had settled quite well already.
Which begs the question why has he not settled on the pitch. Is it ability, is it his mental strength.
We may find out if and when he gets his opportunity next season.
But for me I would not be planning my playing strategy round Fonte.

I agree about Kamara too. Lots of potential there!

As for Fonte... I'm sure he has a lot more quality than what we saw of him last season but how exactly should we use him? He can't possibly be considered as a backup/sub for Mitrovic (if we get him). They are far too different in physique/style. He doesn't look like a winger either, at least not from what I've seen. And there's no room for him at CM. I have a feeling he would work better as a second striker in a different formation. He's just doesn't look like the kind of player we need.

Fonte seems like a very nice person and really dedicated to the club so I would love for him to have a great season. But I just don't see it happening. It's not just the lack of goals. He doesn't seem to fit into our style of play.

And worst of all, I can't see us signing more than one striker this summer with Fonte still around. I really can't see us holding on to a 9m striker if he ends up THAT far down the pecking order. And judging by his recent interview on ffctv he's not going anywhere. Meaning, we will have to rely on Mitro not getting injured (assuming we even get him...).

Ok, so AK47 could probably do a decent job as a backup striker, at least better than what I've seen of Fonte, but AK has been FAR better as a winger. He's probably our best option at RW at the moment and should play there IMO. At least unless we sign a better RW.

So where exactly does this leave us?

Lighthouse

Brighton have turned down bids from Hull for Oliver Norwood.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

Yes I can see Kamara pushing on and improving for us. Great upper body strength and blistering pace.
Perhaps he needs a better first touch at times, and a little more composure in front of goal, but I like him.
As for Fonte, maybe if he played in the hole behind the striker, would we see his strengths, but not sure if that would generally be our system of play, and then of course others may have already been pencilled in.

Never forget your Roots.

GJB

Yes, agreed! Kamara should be primarily used as a winger - worst type of player you'd want to mark as a full back with his strength and pace, especially as wing backs are so forward thinking now.

Regarding Fonte, I think it's important to remember that Mitrovic isn't necessarily the only type of striker to suit our system. If Fonte can make the right runs and get into the right positions, he may not need physicality to get goals, we've got good enough midfielders to provide the opportunities. He'll need an immediate impact off the bench though to stop him going down the pecking order, because I can't see Slav only looking for one striker in Mitro this summer.

Hoppus

Roberty

Quote from: Hoppus on July 21, 2018, 04:32:23 PM
Sergi Gomez is signing for Toulouse. 🙈

Celta are pushing him to move and have refused to offer a new contract - they have two other players in the same boat one of whom is "training at home" - something does not sound right about this bargain buy
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

General

Anyone have any idea of andre schurrle? In talks with an unnamed  premier league club - think I saw somewhere it was a London based club?

Considering it's unnamed could be anyone although crystal palace fans seem the keenest. Being an unnamed club does tie into fulham's policy of keeping things quiet and as I'm led to believe we were interested in Malcom another RW who seems to be on his way to Roma, although someone suggested his preference was a premiership club.

Currently 27 so under 28 policy, lost his way a bit recently and also has had personal issues with breaking up with his fiancée - so a family club, with less pressure could work well for him?

fulhamben

Quote from: General on July 21, 2018, 07:26:23 PM
Anyone have any idea of andre schurrle? In talks with an unnamed  premier league club - think I saw somewhere it was a London based club?

Considering it's unnamed could be anyone although crystal palace fans seem the keenest. Being an unnamed club does tie into fulham's policy of keeping things quiet and as I'm led to believe we were interested in Malcom another RW who seems to be on his way to Roma, although someone suggested his preference was a premiership club.

Currently 27 so under 28 policy, lost his way a bit recently and also has had personal issues with breaking up with his fiancée - so a family club, with less pressure could work well for him?
was he the lad that played for Chelsea? If he is the one I'm thinking of, then he was fantastic for them, and I can't believe they let him go
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: General on July 21, 2018, 07:26:23 PM

He certainly fits the right profile.

Never forget your Roots.