Main Menu

Transfer speculation true test of Fulham's board and Ali Mack

Started by Nick Bateman, June 04, 2018, 05:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

Quote from: FulhamStu on June 05, 2018, 07:17:24 AM
Quote from: Statto on June 04, 2018, 10:03:27 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on June 04, 2018, 08:30:42 PM
but you are and don't even know it. If you are a free transfer you can demand higher wages.  Yes you could get someone better than Fred for 50k a week. But by the time you add in a transfer fee, it will cost you more.

But then your wage structure goes out the window.

Denis Odoi comes along and says, if he's getting £50k a week that's what I want.
We
Then you say, you're not a free agent Denis. So he says ok, don't bother asking me to renew my contract, I'm gonna let it run down then ask you to double it when I'm a free agent.

Meanwhile Kamara comes along and says, I cost half as much as Fonte so can I get paid twice as much?

Sh1tshoww

I was going to say something similar to this.  We have suffered in the past with players running down their contracts.  Steed, Moussa being 2 of these.  Giving in to Fred would make this even worse.  We need to reward loyalty, ie increase wages and contract length to players like Sess and Tom who signed extensions. 

My other point is that Fulham will have worked out a budget for if we got promoted and if we stayed in the championship.   This will be I suspect a generous one for player aquisition but not stupid.  Khan is on record early in his ownership for saying I did not buy a football club to burn money and I don't see him starting now.

If we could add £50 million to that budget by selling Sess, we would have to seriously consider it.  If we could bring that sort of increased budget in and get Sess back on loan I think we would have to do it.

It will be about priorities, supporting the manager/coach, and understanding where our must improve areas are.  Striker and Central defender as per the last few years are where we have to focus the most in my view.
Metro plus one striker and 2 centre backs needed.   If we don't get Targett, left back is more critical than keeping Fred, again in my view.
of we sell sess for 50 million then I hope to god we buy a replacement rather than loan him back. It's one thing gambling on you own youth, but a totally different thing doing it with somone else's. If he struggles in the prem with us then, then you be patient as it will be worth it in the long run. If it's someone else's kid on loan, then you dump them out of the squad ala ojo Graham and that other left back we had last season.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

fulhamben

Quote from: MJG on June 05, 2018, 09:57:44 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on June 05, 2018, 09:46:12 AM
but you are and don't even know it. If you are a free transfer you can demand higher wages.  Yes you could get someone better than Fred for 50k a week. But by the time you add in a transfer fee, it will cost you more.

Denis Odoi comes along and says, if he's getting £50k a week that's what I want.

Then you say, you're not a free agent Denis. So he says ok, don't bother asking me to renew my contract, I'm gonna let it run down then ask you to double it when I'm a free agent.

Meanwhile Kamara comes along and says, I cost half as much as Fonte so can I get paid twice as much?

Sh1tshow
that's why you don't let players get even close to running down a contract.
so we should have sold Fred either last summer or January?
no because we needed him for promotion. If Fulham could have got a player as close to Freds ability for the same money then we would have sold him. But alas we couldn't. We paid more for his understudy who is no where near Freds quality.

MJG

Quote from: fulhamben on June 05, 2018, 10:03:09 AM

Sh1tshow
no because we needed him for promotion. If Fulham could have got a player as close to Freds ability for the same money then we would have sold him. But alas we couldn't. We paid more for his understudy who is no where near Freds quality.
so a club does allow players to run down their contract after rejecting offers... If he's good.
Just the views of a long term fan

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on June 05, 2018, 10:02:55 AM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on June 05, 2018, 09:52:22 AM

Sh1tshow

You cant force them to sign. Bigger clubs have made the same mistake, Utd with Fellaini, Liverpool with Can, etc

Exactly. If we give Fred a massive deal now, clearly the lesson our other players would take from that is it's better for them to do the same thing rather than renew contracts with 1 or 2 years still to run
yes but you have to
Quote from: Statto on June 05, 2018, 10:02:55 AM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on June 05, 2018, 09:52:22 AM

Sh1tshow

You cant force them to sign. Bigger clubs have made the same mistake, Utd with Fellaini, Liverpool with Can, etc

Exactly. If we give Fred a massive deal now, clearly the lesson our other players would take from that is it's better for them to do the same thing rather than renew contracts with 1 or 2 years still to run
and if Fred goes to westham that will also send a message to run down your contract and move to a bigger club on better wages. It's how the market works now, and how the players have the power.

fulhamben

Quote from: MJG on June 05, 2018, 10:05:36 AM

Sh1tshow
so a club does allow players to run down their contract after rejecting offers... If he's good.
only if you think it's worth the risk. Arsenal gambled on sanchez and sold him for peanuts when they realised top 4 was out of reach

MJG

Quote from: fulhamben on June 05, 2018, 10:11:29 AM

Sh1tshow
only if you think it's worth the risk. Arsenal gambled on sanchez and sold him for peanuts when they realised top 4 was out of reach
well exactly. Main thing is you can't force anyone to sign a contract. I find it telling that of all our players in last couple of years he seems to be only one to turn down an extension. Others have agreed and so I'd say wages are not an issue from our pov. He clearly has a high regard and worth for himself, but it's above where we see him. He's not a player I'd break any wage structure for. I'd prefer he stayed, but I'd also prefer him to understand his place in the pecking order.
Just the views of a long term fan

fulhamben

Quote from: MJG on June 05, 2018, 10:14:39 AM

Sh1tshow
well exactly. Main thing is you can't force anyone to sign a contract. I find it telling that of all our players in last couple of years he seems to be only one to turn down an extension. Others have agreed and so I'd say wages are not an issue from our pov. He clearly has a high regard and worth for himself, but it's above where we see him. He's not a player I'd break any wage structure for. I'd prefer he stayed, but I'd also prefer him to understand his place in the pecking order.
this is why we might struggle. The average prem wages in now 50k a week. Granted that would be bumped up by some players on mega wages. But a player bought for 4mill on half those wages would cost about the same as it would to give Fred a 3 year deal at 50k a week.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: fulhamben on June 05, 2018, 10:20:07 AM

Sh1tshow
this is why we might struggle. The average prem wages in now 50k a week. Granted that would be bumped up by some players on mega wages. But a player bought for 4mill on half those wages would cost about the same as it would to give Fred a 3 year deal at 50k a week.

That average is heavily thrown off by the big players at top 4 clubs. Do you think Burnley, Bournemouth, Palace pay that? (SPOILER: they don't)

fulhamben

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on June 05, 2018, 10:28:16 AM

Sh1tshow

That average is heavily thrown off by the big players at top 4 clubs. Do you think Burnley, Bournemouth, Palace pay that? (SPOILER: they don't)
I did say it was bumped up. And yes, crystal Palace paid 27 million for benteke and he is on 120000 a week. So the whole package works out about 250k a week over his 4 year contract.
(spoiler they do)

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on June 05, 2018, 10:44:13 AM

Sh1tshow

Premiership wages are high. So what? that just brings you back to the point about needing a structure. If the average (including Man City strikers) is £50k per week then the level for a defender at a mid-table team is probably about £25k per week. If you give Fred £50k then every other defender who signs/renews at Fulham In the coming years is going to want £50k per week
hey I'm not saying we should pay it. I'm merely stating that to replace him with somone who might not even match his ability could cost the same amount or even more when the whole package is taking into account.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on June 05, 2018, 12:36:49 PM
The "whole package" of giving him a 200% pay rise is having to give 20 other players the same. That's what you need to take into account and it's much more expensive than paying a £4m fee for someone just as good
player still has to be worth It though. Somone mentioned Odoi further up, well I'd imagine we will be replacing him as a first teamer anyway so we wouldn't offer him that much if he went and ran his contract down. And likewise we wouldn't hesitate in selling if we knew his intentions. Not quite sure why some are unwilling to see/accept or are even getting the slight hump at the fact that free agents can and do demand more in wages. It's been happening ever since the bosman rule came into effect in 1995.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: fulhamben on June 05, 2018, 01:22:01 PM
The "whole package" of giving him a 200% pay rise is having to give 20 other players the same. That's what you need to take into account and it's much more expensive than paying a £4m fee for someone just as good
player still has to be worth It though. Somone mentioned Odoi further up, well I'd imagine we will be replacing him as a first teamer anyway so we wouldn't offer him that much if he went and ran his contract down. And likewise we wouldn't hesitate in selling if we knew his intentions. Not quite sure why some are unwilling to see/accept or are even getting the slight hump at the fact that free agents can and do demand more in wages. It's been happening ever since the bosman rule came into effect in 1995.

The point isn't that though. The problem is then having All the other players who are currently happy knocking on the door demanding pay rises. Fred is not worth that problem

simplyfulham

Yes but he is only a free agent if he moves somewhere else.

Otherwise he is just a Fulham player holding the club to ransom. Different things.

simplyfulham

... also I genuinely think that Christie is a better player than Fred.

fulhamben

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on June 05, 2018, 01:36:12 PM

The point isn't that though. The problem is then having All the other players who are currently happy knocking on the door demanding pay rises. Fred is not worth that problem
so by your theory we won't sign any decent players, and it will only be cheapies that no other prem team will touch, so as not to pee off all our players on championship wages. If you want good players you pay the money. And to me getting Frederick's for a combined total of 7.8m for 3 years is absolute bargain in this day and age. It wouldnt even get kalas through the door to start wage negotiations. Freds will be a huge loss to us and we will be weaker for it. Unless of course we spend a big part of our budget to replace him

fulhamben

Quote from: simplyfulham on June 05, 2018, 01:46:30 PM
... also I genuinely think that Christie is a better player than Fred.
can't say that I saw him much at borro. And I hope he does come good, but I've personally seen nothing to suggest he is even on par let alone better than Frederick's. Time will tell

Bassey the warrior

Couple of thoughts.  Firstly, I imagine most if not all first team players probably already have a clause in their contracts to get a pay rise upon promotion. So the argument we're paying Championship wages is probably not true.

Secondly we won't just pay the monthly wage upon signing a new contract, there will be additional fees and Fredericks agent may be demanding a significant fee because he knows he will get one if Fredericks moves on a bosman. We don't know either way.

Finally, Christie actually has similar stats to Fredericks, so I don't buy the argument he's nowhere near as good. He impressed me when we played Boro under Monk.

Fredericks had a significantly improved last season but prior to that he was nothing special, all pace and no brains. I would be sad to see him leave after Slavisa did so well to develop him, but I don't see why he can't develop Christie further.

Either way, I'm not going to get too irked by him leaving.

filham

If we believe the media it really looks as if Fredericks is on his way to Wet Spam. I wonder why he was so intent on leaving Fulham when other players seem quite content to stay. 
Fulham should now share the excess money  that Fredericks was demanding among those contented players that are staying. Loyalty should be rewarded.

JoelH5

You lost me when your compared Fredericks to Kyle Walker!!! Haha
I was there, standing in the Putney end

fulhamben

Quote from: JoelH5 on June 05, 2018, 10:51:01 PM
You lost me when your compared Fredericks to Kyle Walker!!! Haha
it's a fair comparison. Both heavily rely on pace, and both are better going forwards than defending.