watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

WORLD CUP THREAD

Started by Maidstone Lee, June 14, 2018, 11:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Loving the Columbian fans, always been very entertaining when they've played at the Cottage.  We could use Putney blocks P1 & P2 for the Fulham Columbians next season.

Twig

Quote from: Milo on June 24, 2018, 07:54:59 PM
Quote from: Twig on June 24, 2018, 07:27:39 PM
Quote from: Milo on June 24, 2018, 02:10:39 PM
Quote from: Twig on June 24, 2018, 01:51:30 PM
Quote from: Milo on June 24, 2018, 01:26:36 PM
The amount of pointless free kicks England are giving away is ridiculous.

Loftus-Cheek just gave away a free kick and got a yellow card for NO reason in their half.

I know they're all young but it's amateur stuff really. The coaches need to seriously get hold of them and remind them that cheap free kicks cost games.. especially when the other team have very little chance of scoring otherwise.

For "amateurs" they are doing pretty well i'd Have said.

... It is clear I am not talking about the entire performance. Instead, trying to point out improvements for us against the better teams.

Against these better teams these cheap free kicks will cost us goals. A half decent delivery by a Brazilian or German winger and the likes of Gomez etc will capitalise. Also the cheap yellow from Loftus Cheek would have been costly 75 minutes into the game against such a team when we are under the cosh.

That would be the Brazilian and German teams that are struggling to close out their group stage matches?

So having seen Panama score from a cheap free kick minutes after rejecting my prediction of exactly that you now want to take a swing at my suggestion that Germany and Brazil are better teams than Panama?

Bold!

No, I want to take swings at pretty much all your negative posts.  Yes England conceded one goal against Panama when they were 6 - 0 up, it hardly validates your point does it?. Yes, the defensive shape can improve. Do I see Germany or Brazil as in any way superior to England on the basis of current showings? No, emphatically not. 

Milo

Quote from: Twig on June 24, 2018, 09:48:25 PM
Quote from: Milo on June 24, 2018, 07:54:59 PM
Quote from: Twig on June 24, 2018, 07:27:39 PM
Quote from: Milo on June 24, 2018, 02:10:39 PM
Quote from: Twig on June 24, 2018, 01:51:30 PM
Quote from: Milo on June 24, 2018, 01:26:36 PM
The amount of pointless free kicks England are giving away is ridiculous.

Loftus-Cheek just gave away a free kick and got a yellow card for NO reason in their half.

I know they're all young but it's amateur stuff really. The coaches need to seriously get hold of them and remind them that cheap free kicks cost games.. especially when the other team have very little chance of scoring otherwise.

For "amateurs" they are doing pretty well i'd Have said.

... It is clear I am not talking about the entire performance. Instead, trying to point out improvements for us against the better teams.

Against these better teams these cheap free kicks will cost us goals. A half decent delivery by a Brazilian or German winger and the likes of Gomez etc will capitalise. Also the cheap yellow from Loftus Cheek would have been costly 75 minutes into the game against such a team when we are under the cosh.

That would be the Brazilian and German teams that are struggling to close out their group stage matches?

So having seen Panama score from a cheap free kick minutes after rejecting my prediction of exactly that you now want to take a swing at my suggestion that Germany and Brazil are better teams than Panama?

Bold!

No, I want to take swings at pretty much all your negative posts.  Yes England conceded one goal against Panama when they were 6 - 0 up, it hardly validates your point does it?. Yes, the defensive shape can improve. Do I see Germany or Brazil as in any way superior to England on the basis of current showings? No, emphatically not. 

Okay... personal vendetta aside...

I said better teams than Panama.. not better teams than England.

I said against those better (than Panama..) teams we would concede goals giving away cheap free kicks. As it happens today even Panama who barely threatened all game still managed to score because of one of those cheap free kicks. So yes... that really does illustrate the point. Especially because if we are playing a better team (than Panama) there may only be one goal in it.

Milo

Well anyway the point is we had a good win! Roll on Belgium.

love4ffc

I saw good for England as the completely controlled the game.  Good for them and the manager.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Carborundum

Better teams than Panama will struggle with our set pieces.  Kane, Stones, Maguire and Loftus-Cheek - any opposition will struggle to find four players to adequately mark them.  Playing three centre backs as a way of coping with the defensive frailties of a couple of them - seems  as good a plan as we can try out.

grandad

I will wait until after the Belgium game to say how good England are. This will be areal test as we have only played against Non league sides so far.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: grandad on June 25, 2018, 09:09:07 AM
I will wait until after the Belgium game to say how good England are. This will be areal test as we have only played against Non league sides so far.

No wonder you've been exiled abroad.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bassey the warrior

Good performance but still worrying signs that our defence is shaky. Panama had two or three decent chances apart from the goal. We must defend better, especially on the left side where Maguire and Young look uncomfortable at times.

grandad

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 25, 2018, 11:04:20 AM

Viva españa
Where there's a will there's a wife

Woolly Mammoth

No worries, maybe a tiny bit of surgery may be needed at the back, one or two tweeks maybe. Like all defenders moving up at the same time, instead of one or two playing them onside. But no matter the opponent, it is impossible to dominate for 90 minutes, they will always get a chance or two. Ask Argentina, Germany, Brazil, France, Spain, Portugal, etc. They have all had close matches v so called inferior opposition.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: grandad on June 25, 2018, 11:22:42 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 25, 2018, 11:04:20 AM

Viva españa

You should mean Viva El Fulham.
It's all coming out now, treachery, an outcast, banished expelled.
That explains it. Just carry on supporting Spain, or anyone else, but perhaps you should keep your resentment, enmity, rancour, bitterness and cheap shots towards England to yourself, it's clearly eating you up inside, there cannot be much left of you by now abuelo.

Never forget your Roots.

MrFFC

Columbia were impressive last night. England Mexico Croatia all playing well. Brazil seem to be warming up now & Germany got a huge win at the weekend. Great World Cup so far
Come on you Whites!! :)

Woolly Mammoth

Swollen Huge Enormous Gigantic Head Ronaldo Number One Poser and Ego man has his penalty saved.
There is a God.

Never forget your Roots.

F(f)CUK

S.F.Sorrow

Anyone watching Iran-Portugal? VAR is a disaster!

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: F(f)CUK on June 25, 2018, 08:51:14 PM
VAR is a joke

If that ever comes into our league,I will stop
going to matches....Its just sheer nonsense.

Fernhurst

This Portugal game is bloody horrendous- VAR is currently taking over the whole game.

This is not the game I fell in love with.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Andyb

Syd Cupp

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on June 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM
Anyone watching Iran-Portugal? VAR is a disaster!

Have to agree here also noticed with the Portugal v Iran
ref goes to VAR but the time continues and i didnt think it was added onto added time.
Added time at the end was 6 mins but the VAR farce for Iran's crap penalty shout was almost 2-3 on its own.

I am dreading next season as its going to be all about VAR.
Like FIFAs new toy.
Mark Lawrenson got it right (as much as i dont like him) its all about Refs and VAR the football is a sideshow.