watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

ITV not fit to show England games

Started by Nick Bateman, July 04, 2018, 05:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Congratulations to England but a wonderful effort was nearly spoiled by an unprofessional commentary and reaction by Clive Tyldesley and exasperated by colleague Glenn Hoddle.

Both seemed unaware of Colombia's crime cartel methods of cheating and fouling at every occasion.  With the help of a timid and inexperienced American referee they were allowed to bully the official into awarding them numerous dives and all manner of antics, while Tyldesly barely remarked nor gave any support to our brave lads.

BBC were far different, both commentators condemning Colombia and the ref, Danny Murphy stating they were "cheating".

But for me the worst comment made by Tyldesley when Harry Kane was about to take the first penalty against Ospina he said, "It's Tottenham versus Arsenal".  For him to bring it down to club loyalties was crass and uncalled for.  One can only imagine the many England-supporting Arsenal fans feeling aggrieved at this careless and ignorant remark.

Not content with this he again made the same "Tottenham versus Arsenal" elucidation when Keiren Trippier was about to take a vital penalty in the shoot out.

Tyldesley screamed the Colombian late equaliser and was constantly getting excited when they attacked and sounded bored when England were looking more dangerous.  The studio panel were making jokes and laughed loudly (twice) after England were so cruelly prevented from the normal time victory, from a no-foul free-kick which the American allowed to be taken 10 yards up the field (something again picked up by BBC).

ITV are a tacky company with employees who seem to want England to fail, based upon club loyalty not national pride.  People like Tyldesley cannot get behind the nation because he is stuck in a club-v-country mental negative block which comes out in his anti-England bias and it made for very painful listening to last night, while our team have to battle such 'dirty tactics'.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

FFCSteve

I don't think its the whole of itv!
Just that awful Tyldesley! Cant stand his commentary! World cup or any other game!
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

Carborundum

Hoddle was on risqué  form last night.  Couldn't believe it when England's corner formation with four men standing immediately one behind the next was described as "the love train".

elgreenio

that Fal-cay-oao and the other fella, Could-woulda-rado were good though weren't they Glenn. He needs to give Eileen a bell to see if she does pronunciation sessions as well
touch my camera through the fence

hovewhite

Last week on here it was the BBC who were anti England and got my post deleted by the mods on my post as I love my country and I'm not European .
So better say nothing.

CottagersOnTour

Quote from: Carborundum on July 04, 2018, 05:52:10 PM
Hoddle was on risqué  form last night.  Couldn't believe it when England's corner formation with four men standing immediately one behind the next was described as "the love train".

This made me chuckle...!

Baszab

Anyone is better than Matterface who is surely the World Cup winner of worst commentators

Twig

Frankly it is water off a duck's back to me. I switch on to watch the football and the commentary is of secondary importance.  That said, I usually find Hoddle ok, he still seems tactically pretty savvy.

Holders

Agree with Twig but I very rarely watch ITV at all because of the adverts. Still, it cuts down the prattling time for the "pundits".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Andy S

Itv's commentary is not good but how or why do we expect perfection from human beings? I expect a lot of us know as much about football as any of them. Commentating is another thing. It is not something that has ever interested me

WokinghamWhite

Didn't Sky once have a "red button" option of crowd noise only? There have been any number of times during this WC when I would really have liked that option. There are hundreds of thousands of people who go to live football every week and enjoy the match without a running commentary from people who often seem annoying or biased. In this era of UHD and HDR match coverage that makes it feel like you're almost at the match surely it's not beyond the bounds of technology to offer a "crowd noise only" option.

gang

It's only the second time England have won a World Cup match on ITV since 1998. Hopefully BBC will be showing the rest.

Mitch

Quote from: Carborundum on July 04, 2018, 05:52:10 PM

I actually laughed out loud.

Rupert

Quote from: gang on July 05, 2018, 08:37:54 AM
It's only the second time England have won a World Cup match on ITV since 1998. Hopefully BBC will be showing the rest.

Well, that proves Nick's point, ITV are clearly biased against England if they never show us winning. I trust the BBC will only show England victories from here on in.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

nose returns

as a rule of thumb nearly everyone I know prefers BBC. I wasn't very bothered by the commentary on the Columbia game because i was so engrossed in the action. I thought the hoddle love train was funny but still do not understand what he brings to the party.
ITV reminds me a bit of Talksport aiming at a very low common denominator, sacrificing quality for pub style banter. generally BBC have more quality and professionalism, but they are far from perfect.
What really annoys me about highlits shows, both sides, is there is mopre talk than action. they show goals but precious little each. Original MOTD was one then two games and you saw quite a bit of the game and saw the ebb and flow, now it is the goals plus a few efforts and that's it, the rest is inane comments, meaningless graphics where they attempt to complicate simple things etc.
the live broadcast games spend too long with replays when there is live action happening, or focusing on the manager when the game is still taking place. we can save replays until half time or end of match. let us see the game uninterrupted in real time.

aaronmcguigan

I have watched a lot of World Cup matches this year and I couldn't tell you what station they're on . I'm not into football just to be spoonfed statistics by ex pros or to listen to Mark Lawrenson or Glenn Hoddles attempts at humour

If anyone has been enlightened or informed by the likes of Ian Wright, Patrice Evra, Dion Dublin or Pablo Zabaleta; id be concerned.

They hold the rights and show the matches. Anything else is over the top. The amount of presenters that they've sent there by both channels could have funded another few topical shows through the year; but I am pleased they've got the rights though. I think if it went sky sports or something not free to air, all hell may have broken loose

cmg

I am a little surprised that people get particularly exercised these days about commentry on football matches (or any other sport for that matter). over the years I've managed to almost totally filter it out.
In this fine weather, with the windows open and the sound quite low, all I get is the crowd noise (without which the thing is quite sterile, otherwise I'd mute off the sound totally).
A list of numbers is all that's necessary to identify any unfamiliar players (Google if you want any further info), the channel switcher becomes vital at half-time and headphones if I want to hear any after match interview (which I generally don't).
One day the TV companies may realise they are wasting a fortune providing an extra pension for retired sporting heroes.

filham

I hope it is BBC on Saturday, that should give us all confidence to start with.

alfie

4 words from me "I really don't care"
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Three words from me " come on England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 ".
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.