watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mawson Signs

Started by Friendsoffulham, August 02, 2018, 06:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

The Club is delighted to confirm the capture of Alfie Mawson from Swansea City for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old centre-back has signed a four-year deal, tying him to Fulham until at least the summer of 2022.

Born just 15 miles away from Craven Cottage in Hillingdon, Mawson came through the ranks at Brentford, making his professional debut as a 19-year-old in the League Cup.

He took in brief loan spells at Luton Town and Welling United, and had his first full season of senior football in 2014/15, scoring seven times in 51 appearances as Wycombe Wanderers reached the League Two Play-Off Final where they were beaten by Southend United on penalties.

His efforts that year were duly rewarded, winning the club's Player of the Season award.

Mawson was playing in League One the following term, with his performances for Wycombe attracting the attention of Barnsley.

In his one full season at Oakwell, Mawson again demonstrated his knack for goals, bagging seven in a campaign that saw him make a further two Wembley appearances. They were far more fruitful this time, though, as Mawson helped the Tykes win both the League One Play-Off Final, and the Football League Trophy.

Four matches into the 2016/17 Championship season – in which time he had already scored two more goals – Mawson moved to the Premier League when Swansea swooped for his services. He quickly established himself at the heart of the Swans' defence, scoring four times in 27 appearances as they comfortably avoided relegation.

That form saw him rewarded on an international level as he was called up by England for the Under-21 European Championship, scoring once and playing every minute as the Three Lions reached the Semi-Final stage, where they were beaten by Germany on penalties.

Mawson played 44 more times for Swansea last season and scored three goals, including the winner against Liverpool, and his consistency saw him named in Gareth Southgate's senior England squad for the first time in March.

Mawson said: "I'm really happy to get this over the line and join Fulham. I'm excited by the project going on here and the football being played last season was lovely on the eye but also effective and I can't wait to be a part of it and get going.

"I'm excited to be a part of this great Club moving forward and to help achieve success in the Premier League."

Tony Khan added: "I'm pleased to announce that Fulham Football Club has signed Alfie Mawson! Alfie is an exciting young player with a strong future at a position of major importance to our club.

"Alfie is also very highly regarded by our scouting department and our data analysts, giving us great confidence in our back line as we prepare long term for Premier League competition.

"It's only fitting that such a fine homegrown talent like Alfie will flourish in the presence of the finest supporters in London at Craven Cottage for years to come. Come on Fulham!"

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/02/totally-mawson

MrFFC

Mawson , Odoi , Ream , Le Marchand that's looking much more like it
Come on you Whites!! :)

Andy S

That will do very nicely thankyou

The old mucker

Quote from: Andy S on August 02, 2018, 06:29:40 PM
That will do very nicely thankyou
fantastic news welcome alfie

Barrett487

Great news, i was starting to worry about that knee!

Just a LB, DM & SS needed now

Milo

Really is good news. So is he injured for the start of the season..?

One LB away from an exciting season!

What a great job the back room staff have done this year! The only person I can criticise this year is Slav himself for not fielding more first team players in their correct positions during pre season. However I am sure he has his reasons!

paulbrookersmazydribbles

Such a cracking signing. We've brought in some serious quality this summer - excited to see how it all blends together.

bog

hovewhite

Welcome Alfie Mawson to our great club.

Woolly Mammoth

The signing of Alfie Mawson is a massive plus for Fulham, as important as anyone they have signed so far in this Window.
He will be a very important cog in Fulhams wheel.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HV71

This is a great signing. I am both relieved and delighted that this has come to fruition. Welcome Alfie !

Favershampaul

RP24

Wonder why he chose number 26? Does it mean we have a number 5 coming in?

Roberty

Quote from: Robertprocter1 on August 02, 2018, 06:55:33 PM

He was 6 at Swansea - Kalas had 26 so presumably he is not on our shopping list
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

brightster

What a great job the back room staff have done this year! The only person I can criticise this year is Slav himself for not fielding more first team players in their correct positions during pre season. However I am sure he has his reasons!
[/quote]

Are you having a laugh 🤨, Pre season is about trying different options while getting fitness, can't see who was playing out of position last night. In fact they looked good last night until all the subs from both teams came on, it stopped the flow of the game.

General

Great potential in Alfie, but I am slightly puzzled as to why we've brought in two CB'S who are left footed. Seems like it'll leave our defence slightly lopsided?

I'd start Mawson next to MLM any day.. but just seems odd.

Sherlock

Quote from: General on August 02, 2018, 06:59:43 PM
Great potential in Alfie, but I am slightly puzzled as to why we've brought in two CB'S who are left footed. Seems like it'll leave our defence slightly lopsided?

He's right footed. I assume he played LCB for Swansea because he was more two footed than there other CBs.

bencher

Where does it say that?

RP24

Quote from: General on August 02, 2018, 06:59:43 PM

Isn't he right footed

RP24

Quote from: bencher on August 02, 2018, 07:01:13 PM

Where does it say that?

It was on one of the videos, and then Fulham did a twitter post of #26