News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Fave Films That No-One Else Has Seen?

Started by White Noise, October 05, 2010, 02:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Just wanted to start a thread on films that you love but none of your friends have seen. I am probably on a wrong un with this first one, you lot have probably all seen it,  but none of my mates have ever heard of it. British Classic -

Hell Drivers (1957) Trailer

LBNo11

...a great film with Stanley Baker an evil Patrick McGoohan and a very young Shorn Canary, classic gritty stuff... :045:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

White Noise

I am big Sean Connery fan and this is probably my fave film from the big man (even better than 'The Man Who Would Be King'!). It saddens me that with TV the way it is these days my kids will never stumble across little gems like these -

The Offence (1972, Sidney Lumet) - Memory Montage

White Noise

The greatest living Irishman in my book is Mr O'Toole. 'My Favorite (sic) Year' is a sublime film about a former silent film star who has hit hard times and the bottle getting back for one last hurrah!

My Favorite Year (Final scenes)

finnster01

For me, what popped immediately into my head is Boondock Saints. Possibly best indie film ever. Brilliant. Get it out if you can find it.
Boondock Saints Official Trailer

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

White Noise

To round off with the greatest of the hellraisers - a man you may recognise from somwhere. Villain is another gritty British gangster film with the feel of 'Get Carter'. You may ask why was Richard Burton making a small film like this in 1971 but I think its quality. His character is Vic Daykin and lovers of 'Viz Comic' may notice the similarity with 'Big Vern' Daykin - "You'll never take me alive copper, I'm losing a lot of claret" etc

Villain (1971) trailer

licker

Just seen one of my FAVs on the telly today.

Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne in the Quiet Man, the fight scene with Victor McLaglen must be the longest fight sequence i have ever seen in a movie.
Brilliant acting from the whole cast.

Bill.

White Noise

Great call Licker. Brings back some great childhood memories.

The Quiet Man Fight

ron

Quote from: White Noise on October 05, 2010, 02:21:43 PM
Just wanted to start a thread on films that you love but none of your friends have seen. I am probably on a wrong un with this first one, you lot have probably all seen it,  but none of my mates have ever heard of it. British Classic -

Hell Drivers (1957) Trailer

...there's also a younger original Doctor Who (William Hartnell) admiring Baker's driving in there. (Although not admiring the cheapo special effects of speeding up the action in the driving sequences)

HatterDon

All good films listed, y'all, although hardly any of them fit the sobriquet "no-one else has seen." I mean The Quiet Man is generally acclaimed as a brilliant film and has been on television in dozens of countries every month for the last 30 years or so.

I have an "obscure" film to report that I absolutely love. It's called Matewan and it's a story about a coal mine strike in West Virginia. John Sayles was the writer-director, and he later went on to become quite popular, but I really love this movie. I think it has a better potential audience in the UK than in the US.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteJC

one of my favs stars Peter Sellers, not a comedy, but a great film never the less
The Optimist of Nine Elms - 1973

THE OPTIMISTS - Peter Sellers Rare Movie Stills

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SoCalJoe

Last year's Oscar winner for Best Picture; The Hurt Locker did around 15/16 million at the box office in the US (not sure what it did overseas) last year, which means practically no one saw it, is a great film.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

jarv

Sorry socalJoe....hurt locker. I gave up on it after the 3rd battle scene which was the same as the second which was the same as the first.  What did I miss after about 45 minutes which made this a good film?

Maybe I am old but modern films....give me a break.

Old uns like "who's afraid of virginia wolf, the third man, the fireman's ball (czech film) etc"
Titanic....eeeek. The first one was better, none of that gooey hollywood rubbish in it.

Lighthouse

Hurt Locker was fine. Not great but worth watching.

For the kids who may have missed them.

1945 or thereabouts - Ray Milland in Lost Weekend

and a Hitcock film that sometimes is missed - Shadow of a Doubt.

The Innocents - best spooky film ever

A few that may have passed you by

The Escapist, Breach, Brick, ( all good films in their own way I think). Lots of good stuff out there.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

alfie

Quote from: licker on October 05, 2010, 02:33:20 PM
Just seen one of my FAVs on the telly today.

Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne in the Quiet Man, the fight scene with Victor McLaughlin must be the longest fight sequence i have ever seen a movie.
Brilliant acting from the whole cast.

Bill.

Darn licker i now have 2 favourite films the quiet man and "same time next year"   Alan alder and ellen bernstein, classics both of them
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Peabody

If I remember rightly, was'nt Herbert Lom in Hell Drivers? That was a brilliant film. Another from that era was Adam Faiths first film, cant remember the title but it had Peter Sellars in a straight role, as a gangster. Also liked The Leather Boys, with Dudley Sutton and Rita Tushingham. However, I will never forget the effect that Saturday Night and Sunday Morning with Albert Finney had on me.

Ron Sheepskin

There's three I really like - the original George A Romero movie "The Crazies", the original John Carpenter movie "Assault on Precinct 13", and an Aussie Vietnam war movie called "The Odd Angry Shot".

Come to think of it, that last one could have been about Bobby a couple of seasons ago...
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Peabody

I count myself really lucky to have been around in the late fifties and early sixties when British films had a change of direction and instead of producing upper class twit films, produced films such as A Kind of Loving, The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner(some of which was made in Fulham), The Virgin Soldiers (I was one of them) Sporting Life.