watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Something I heard yesterday before kick off

Started by Riversider, October 28, 2018, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Size or lack of it is no excuse for playing without passion, desire or hunger.
No matter your size you can still punch your weight, and a lot of players you see in other clubs punch above their weight.
How many Fulham players are doing that.
It's not how tall you are, it's how high you jump.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

We buy too many players, we don't buy enough, we don't spend enough, we spend too much, too many foreign players, not enough home based.
Always going to have issues in a squad that changes. The Parker clique when he was last here, the McCormack drinking group, happens all the time.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

Jokanovic doesn't do the hiring and firing.  He doesn't do player contracts.  Even the Khans, as unfamiliar as they may be with English sport, would/should have known that any real imbalance in wages will alway cause problems unless it can be seen by all to be absolutely justifiable.  It is equally common sense that the Khans explain that to the whole squad when it was first assembled after the window closed, or at the very least at the first signs of unrest.  Perhaps it also explains why Jokanovic is not so keen to pursue his own renewed contract.  It is a mess that has nothing to do with football, everything to do with human nature, running a united enterprise, and FFC didn't see it coming?  I very much hope someone saw it coming and I very much hope that someone was a Khan.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: MJG on October 29, 2018, 08:03:19 AM
We buy too many players, we don't buy enough, we don't spend enough, we spend too much, too many foreign players, not enough home based.
Always going to have issues in a squad that changes. The Parker clique when he was last here, the McCormack drinking group, happens all the time.

+1, if we hadn't improved the squad, and been in this situation, then people would've moaned about lack of investment.

Moltobueno

Quote from: Andy S on October 28, 2018, 09:30:19 PM
No squad of 30 pros are all going to get on perfectly well. There will be cliques as well as competition for places. Sorry to say but this is the same at all clubs. Competition is fierce and the manager wants it to be because he wants the aggression to carry on in the game on Saturday. Money can be a part of it but if you don't pay it you don't get the player.

I agree. The players are professionals and are aware of the situation. If someone is unhappy with their paycheck, they can have contract negotiations etc. Your partners salary shouldnt be your issue to worry about.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 28, 2018, 10:41:52 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 28, 2018, 09:02:13 PM
Quote from: Statto on October 28, 2018, 08:56:20 PM
Shock horror, there is a divide between last season's squad and the new, foreign, higher paid and (on paper) better players?!?

What sensational inside rumour is coming next - Graham Norton is secretly gay?

Sorry but of course there will be tension between these two groups. Not sure why it is so shocking or a reason "we really can't afford to keep the coach"

Nothing to see here as far as I'm concerned... Except the bit about Schurrle being put on his arse perhaps... But he's at the NFL smiling today without a mark on him so I find that very hard to believe sorry

You don't necessary get marked when put on your arse.
I was Stablelads boxing champ twice in my younger days,put a few on their arse by giving them one in the bread basket.
Were you wearing hooves at the time, and a nose bag mince.

I had a horseshoe in each glove.🐎

Mince n Tatties

Was Ream the perpetrator of the dressing room scuffle?🎃

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Quote from: the nutflush on October 28, 2018, 11:16:45 PM
Quote from: One James stannard on October 28, 2018, 07:51:39 PM
Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on October 28, 2018, 07:46:18 PM
Sounds totally feasible. That transfer window was a total disaster... we shouldn't have gone near the likes of Seri and Anguissa. An utter waste of 45 million.

You cannot honestly believe what you have just posted!

I do.  Anguissa is a massive bust and Seri is a lightweight.  He's talented but hes just too small.
Really too small,  Kante, Messi, the new chap at Arsenal don't know his name, his about 5,2, and numerous other players, don't think too small is the issue.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Gezza

The same doom and gloom merchants who are already saying we are relegated are probably the same experts who were writing off last season in November and Calling for Slav's head.

Jimpav

Quote from: Gezza on October 29, 2018, 01:44:52 PM
The same doom and gloom merchants who are already saying we are relegated are probably the same experts who were writing off last season in November and Calling for Slav's head.

I understand your sentiments as there are a portion of our support that are quick to condemn the team/management at the slightest opportunity, but the issue we have is bigger than this.

I'm normally firmly in the Optimist camp, and would be one of the last ones calling for the managers head, this time feels different though.

It's not so much the defeats that are bothering me, it is the way in which they are occuring. We have conceded more goals than any other team in the leaguge and are on course to break the record for goals conceeded at this stage of the season.

There appears to be no efforts being made to improve our defence or tactically adapt to the league.

Even in the matches where we have picked up points (Burnley/Brighton/Watford), we have looked very vulnerable and not won at all comfortably.

I think that I speak for most Fulham Fans when I say that we have a lot of respect for Jokanovic. His unbeaten run was incredible and the play off victories were inspired. These were great achivements, but sadly football does not allow it's heroes to rest on their laurels.

There is no evidence that Jok is capable of turning this situation around, so unless we put in a performance against Citeh and pick up points at Huddersfield, I cannot see him being here much longer.

nose returns

the reason the new players get more money is because they have more talent. however if they do not pull their finger out and perform then they are n't worth a penny. the championship team must have realised this was a problem for them and some of them look well out of their depth. the manager and management should have forseen this and managed it better.

the nutflush

Quote from: alfie on October 29, 2018, 12:59:40 PM
Quote from: the nutflush on October 28, 2018, 11:16:45 PM
Quote from: One James stannard on October 28, 2018, 07:51:39 PM
Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on October 28, 2018, 07:46:18 PM
Sounds totally feasible. That transfer window was a total disaster... we shouldn't have gone near the likes of Seri and Anguissa. An utter waste of 45 million.

You cannot honestly believe what you have just posted!

I do.  Anguissa is a massive bust and Seri is a lightweight.  He's talented but hes just too small.
Really too small,  Kante, Messi, the new chap at Arsenal don't know his name, his about 5,2, and numerous other players, don't think too small is the issue.

I've seen Seri get pushed off the ball far too easily in the last month.  I can see the talent he has but for me the jury is still out on him.  As for Anguissa I have not seen anything remotely justifying his price tag.

Riversider

What has concerned me the most this season, is this, I went to see QPR v Villa on Friday night, and  what I liked about QPR was how good they were when they didn't have the ball, to a man the outfield players were all like Jack Russell's every time Villa were in possession,  they didn't give Villa a second the entire match, at no time during the 90 minutes did they let up,
Individually (on paper) they are poor but as a collective they are a decent side,
So if QPR can do it why can't we ?
I can't ever remember a Fulham team as poor as this one out of possession,  we don't have the energy, we don't have the desire and we don't have the passion to get the ball back,
We are an unbelievably slow side and we appear to lack fitness and energy,
I'm old enough to remember players like Ray Houghton and Ray Lewington and more recently Steve Sidwell , it was their mission to get the ball back, where are those players now ?
At some point in the next two transfer windows we need to bring in 2 or 3 "Jack Russell" type players to address the slide, in the meantime Jokanovic can at least try to motivate this slow, lazy,demotivated group of players,
And one last thing, Andre Schurrle, pound for pound the worst player I've ever seen in a Fulham shirt, £6.3 million a season on a 2 year contract, £12.6 million in wages for what he does is abhorrent, please, please tell me that Fulham can break the contract in the event of relegation, if we can't then we are right royally fu**ed next season, Simon Davies was at the game on Saturday,  I bet he earnt a fraction of that money and yet Schurrle isn't fit to lace his boots.

Holders

Quote from: Baszab on October 28, 2018, 05:06:08 PM
I heard silmiiar story - also Khan went ballistic after the game and there was a massive row with SJ and certain players - when SJ went  into the after match conference he was still shaking with rage

Khan went ballistic at SJ or there was a row between SJ and certain players?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

nose returns

Quote from: Riversider on October 30, 2018, 10:27:48 AM
What has concerned me the most this season, is this, I went to see QPR v Villa on Friday night, and  what I liked about QPR was how good they were when they didn't have the ball, to a man the outfield players were all like Jack Russell's every time Villa were in possession,  they didn't give Villa a second the entire match, at no time during the 90 minutes did they let up,
Individually (on paper) they are poor but as a collective they are a decent side,
I can't ever remember a Fulham team as poor as this one out of possession,  we don't have the energy, we don't have the desire and we don't have the passion to get the ball back,
I'm old enough to remember players like Ray Houghton and Ray Lewington and more recently Steve Sidwell , it was their mission to get the ball back, where are those players now ?
At some point in the next two transfer windows we need to bring in 2 or 3 "Jack Russell" type players to address the slide, in the meantime Jokanovic can at least try to motivate this slow, lazy,demotivated group of players,
And one last thing, Andre Schurrle, pound for pound the worst player I've ever seen in a Fulham shirt, £6.3 million a season on a 2 year contract, £12.6 million in wages for what he does is abhorrent, please, please tell me that Fulham can break the contract in the event of relegation, if we can't then we are right royally fu**ed next season, Simon Davies was at the game on Saturday,  I bet he earnt a fraction of that money and yet Schurrle isn't fit to lace his boots.

I agree with everything you say. First schurrle is dreadful and seems to be picked no matter what.. he will score a few but is certainly causing more problems berba like, as I have said before.

second and more to the point, out of possesion we are clueless. watching bournemouth slip into a proper formation when defending, keeping shape and doing simple things correctly was impressive, our team looked worse than a sunday morning side. Hard to know who is really at fault but certainly so many last minute signings was not likely to work, especially as the key positions have not been dealt with namely full backs of a proper experienced quality, central midfielder that has a physical prescence, and proper partner/understudy for mitro.

Losing the defensive coach was clearly an indication something is wrong and Parker seemed very odd and not a good thing in my opinion.

Matt10

Rico only had to make 1 save in the first half. Yet, our defense is horrible?

I think our mindset is flawed. We are looking at "0-3" loss, and saying "Yup, we have a terrible defense."

If Schurrle scores, it's 1-1 at halftime. We also had two headers by Kamara and Odoi of corners that were wide, not to mention Kamara's early header that looped just on top of the netting.

It's like we forgot what the first 60 minutes of the match showed us. A capable formation, that may just need some personnel changes. Kamara out of the RW spot and Vietto in. Then the CM spot alongside Seri would be Cairney when needing to score goals, and McDonald/Anguissa when needing to defend a lead.

The problem is the perception is skewed. I'd love for someone to bring up the stats of how many goals we have conceded after changing our formation and tactics mid-match. I understand chasing the game, and goals, but we looked much better staying in the base 4-2-3-1 than going to the 3-4-3. While great for possession's sake, it was a risk to have such a high line, and we were easily exposed on counters. The premier league players do not waste counters, and Bournemouth were on point with this. I thought we would have learned this by now.

What's funny is that there were several times in the base formation that we actually got spread out far enough in the attack to dominate possession regardless. Why Slav needed to change all this is most likely because it is the brave thing to do. However, I wish we would stick to what we started with, and only change personnel. I've said it before that it's the complicated nature in switching formation + tactics which is doing us in. Sure, they are professionals and should know how to adjust to what I'm sure is practiced, but unfortunately the team just is not gelling enough to get 1 formation down, let alone 2 + new tactics.

That first 60 minutes we played had a lot more good than bad. I hope we stick to it and just modify personnel in logical positions.

IKnowNothing

Quote from: Matt10 on October 30, 2018, 01:20:01 PM
Rico only had to make 1 save in the first half. Yet, our defense is horrible?

I think our mindset is flawed. We are looking at "0-3" loss, and saying "Yup, we have a terrible defense."

If Schurrle scores, it's 1-1 at halftime. We also had two headers by Kamara and Odoi of corners that were wide, not to mention Kamara's early header that looped just on top of the netting.

It's like we forgot what the first 60 minutes of the match showed us. A capable formation, that may just need some personnel changes. Kamara out of the RW spot and Vietto in. Then the CM spot alongside Seri would be Cairney when needing to score goals, and McDonald/Anguissa when needing to defend a lead.

The problem is the perception is skewed. I'd love for someone to bring up the stats of how many goals we have conceded after changing our formation and tactics mid-match. I understand chasing the game, and goals, but we looked much better staying in the base 4-2-3-1 than going to the 3-4-3. While great for possession's sake, it was a risk to have such a high line, and we were easily exposed on counters. The premier league players do not waste counters, and Bournemouth were on point with this. I thought we would have learned this by now.

What's funny is that there were several times in the base formation that we actually got spread out far enough in the attack to dominate possession regardless. Why Slav needed to change all this is most likely because it is the brave thing to do. However, I wish we would stick to what we started with, and only change personnel. I've said it before that it's the complicated nature in switching formation + tactics which is doing us in. Sure, they are professionals and should know how to adjust to what I'm sure is practiced, but unfortunately the team just is not gelling enough to get 1 formation down, let alone 2 + new tactics.

That first 60 minutes we played had a lot more good than bad. I hope we stick to it and just modify personnel in logical positions.
Thank You!

Whitesideup

Quote from: Jimpav on October 29, 2018, 03:09:47 PM
Quote from: Gezza on October 29, 2018, 01:44:52 PM

I understand your sentiments as there are a portion of our support that are quick to condemn the team/management at the slightest opportunity, but the issue we have is bigger than this.

I'm normally firmly in the Optimist camp, and would be one of the last ones calling for the managers head, this time feels different though.

It's not so much the defeats that are bothering me, it is the way in which they are occuring. We have conceded more goals than any other team in the leaguge and are on course to break the record for goals conceeded at this stage of the season.

There appears to be no efforts being made to improve our defence or tactically adapt to the league.

Even in the matches where we have picked up points (Burnley/Brighton/Watford), we have looked very vulnerable and not won at all comfortably.

I think that I speak for most Fulham Fans when I say that we have a lot of respect for Jokanovic. His unbeaten run was incredible and the play off victories were inspired. These were great achivements, but sadly football does not allow it's heroes to rest on their laurels.

There is no evidence that Jok is capable of turning this situation around, so unless we put in a performance against Citeh and pick up points at Huddersfield, I cannot see him being here much longer.

The comment that "no effort is being made to turn things around" is, I believe, completely mistaken. The formation and the tactics at the start of the Bournemouth game were noticeably different as we made sure we got everyone behind the ball when we lost it, ceding space to Bournemouth. We tried to move the ball faster from defence without committing ourselves to the attack in the numbers that we do normally. And initially we seemed more secure, and one very silly challenge (plus clever forward play from Wilson who certainly made the most of the contact) undid the whole plan. When Cearney came on I began to believe we would find a way of unlocking what seemed to be an impenetrable defence (MotD highlighted how good Bournemouth were at getting back into their 5-4-1 formation) and Bournemouth were not causing us much trouble, partly perhaps because they were defending a lead and we had to take the game to them. Then another ridiculous goal conceded .. and a man sent off .... game over. 

So I believe conscious decisions were taken for us to be more conservative in our approach, but you cannot cope with disastrous pieces of defending that hand the oppo goals and games.

Deeping_white

Quote from: nose on October 30, 2018, 12:48:55 PM
Quote from: Riversider on October 30, 2018, 10:27:48 AM

I agree with everything you say. First schurrle is dreadful and seems to be picked no matter what.. he will score a few but is certainly causing more problems berba like, as I have said before.

second and more to the point, out of possesion we are clueless. watching bournemouth slip into a proper formation when defending, keeping shape and doing simple things correctly was impressive, our team looked worse than a sunday morning side. Hard to know who is really at fault but certainly so many last minute signings was not likely to work, especially as the key positions have not been dealt with namely full backs of a proper experienced quality, central midfielder that has a physical prescence, and proper partner/understudy for mitro.

Losing the defensive coach was clearly an indication something is wrong and Parker seemed very odd and not a good thing in my opinion.

Schurrle is the worst player you've both ever seen in a Fulham shirt? Mods the trolls have escaped from the dungeon