watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We still can't defend

Started by The Swan, December 06, 2018, 12:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

With 15 minutes to go Maddison is allowed to stroll into our penalty area unmarked and not challenged by any or our team to score .

Mr Ranieri please sort out our defending. You said you would.
The Swan

Woolly Mammoth

The manager will need the help of another centre back and full back in the January Window to help him avoid the drop. He probably knows than anyway.
All he can do for the moment is get the best out of what he already has, he is already working on it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Nightwind15

Agreed.  The first rule of defense is go to the ball. 
I played in the first match I ever saw!

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: The Swan on December 06, 2018, 12:55:42 PM
With 15 minutes to go Maddison is allowed to stroll into our penalty area unmarked and not challenged by any or our team to score .

Mr Ranieri please sort out our defending. You said you would.

How dare Ranieri not fix the worst defence in Europe's top leagues within 3 games.

#RanieriOut

Artful Dodger

Who was supposed to be marking Maddison? It came from a long ball upfield so we shouldn't have been out of position or stretched so not sure how he ended up on his own??
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Woolly Mammoth

Midfield should have tucked in and tracked him back once we lost the ball.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Matt10

It's a completely different system where our center mids cover the wings, while our wingers stay high to be ready for the counter. We got caught out - that's it. In more detail, Chambers is at fault here as he tracked Okazaki instead of dropping to cover Mawson, who had also tracked Okazaki, and got turned around. Seri is the CM in the right spot and pressure the winger facing LeMarchand.

I'd say we defended quite well, giving up 13 shots, 5 on target. Keeping them under 70% passing. They were their own downfall too though with poor crossfield passes, counted about 6 of those going out of bounds or wayward.

N_O_W_S

Quote from: Matt10 on December 06, 2018, 01:32:30 PM
It's a completely different system where our center mids cover the wings, while our wingers stay high to be ready for the counter. We got caught out - that's it. In more detail, Chambers is at fault here as he tracked Okazaki instead of dropping to cover Mawson, who had also tracked Okazaki, and got turned around. Seri is the CM in the right spot and pressure the winger facing LeMarchand.

I'd say we defended quite well, giving up 13 shots, 5 on target. Keeping them under 70% passing. They were their own downfall too though with poor crossfield passes, counted about 6 of those going out of bounds or wayward.

This it was a quality counter attack. The players back were back peddling to cover the advance and Maddison found space as a result. I'm not sure many teams in the league would have stopped that counter.

filham

We were having a good spell of attacking and the Liecester broke very quicly and found  space and there execution was clinical. Give credit where it is due, it was a good goal.
Letting a goal like that in is not that bad, more critical of our attack, we need to score more than one at home and we had some chances.

Riverside

I think it was also a case of Leicester having just made attacking subs and changing their formation and we got caught out 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b+w geezer

Quote from: Matt10 on December 06, 2018, 01:32:30 PM
Thanks for that. Although I was present and realised in broad terms the system was different, your precise summary (assuming correct, which I do) makes an interesting read.

Deeping_white

Not sure if this is a WUM post or not but it follows up the one you started last night quite well too. Leicester have been good at counter attacking for years now, something Ranieri instilled in them. We were trying to kill the game off and got caught out, it happens. If we'd tried to sit on a 1 goal lead then arguably they wouldn't have been able to do it but then we'd have been crucified if they'd eventually scored after we'd tried to shut up shop. The team should be applauded for a positive performance where they looked like a coherent unit where players knew their roles, stuck to them and almost got 3 points against a team that could've gone 6th if they'd beaten us.

nose returns

actually they broke down their right and our defence, who were back in sufficient numbers, did what they have done all season, namely got caught ball watching. It seemed to me christie is responsible for that area and just did not raise his head at any time to survey the danger.. he was as much t blame as the midfield, probably more and when I saw the highlits he was the one I thought should have already seen maddison in the box and gone to deal with him.

cookieg

I've not seen the build up only what was on MOTD but he was all on his own. Not sure where Cairney was, I think Seri was going towards the ball on the wing but someone should have tracked back. Christie or Odoi maybe should have been aware and try to close down the shot but we live and learn and I'm sure CR will sort this.

toshes mate

Quote from: nose on December 06, 2018, 03:40:48 PM
actually they broke down their right and our defence, who were back in sufficient numbers, did what they have done all season, namely got caught ball watching. It seemed to me christie is responsible for that area and just did not raise his head at any time to survey the danger.. he was as much t blame as the midfield, probably more and when I saw the highlits he was the one I thought should have already seen maddison in the box and gone to deal with him.
Like moths to a light too many appeared to be tracking the ball and not the opponents movements, but, we should remember, this team hasn't kept a clean sheet all season.

Bassey the warrior

We can defend but we don't have enough focus to keep things tight for 90 mins yet. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a fitness issue.

bahay18

defending still felt very last ditch . But for me the big plus was that it finally looked like we had a shape . 2 wide players that were prepared to do the dirty work of defending as well . the goal though came from switching off , someone has to spot that and bust a gut to get back in the area. moments earlier cairney almost made it 2-0 and the crowd was buzzing , such a shame  .

The Swan

Reply to Facts Not Fiction.
                                      I wanted our new manager to ensure our players stopped ball watching and marked a danger man in our penalty area. That's not too much to ask.
I played Sunday League Football in London and our manager made sure that we always marked the opposition in our penalty area.
If we failed to do this he gave us a good rollicking.
The Swan

nose returns

Quote from: cookieg on December 06, 2018, 04:26:39 PM
I've not seen the build up only what was on MOTD but he was all on his own. Not sure where Cairney was, I think Seri was going towards the ball on the wing but someone should have tracked back. Christie or Odoi maybe should have been aware and try to close down the shot but we live and learn and I'm sure CR will sort this.

in these days of the ranieri.... TC is played muc further up the pitch so unless he breaks ranks from what the manager wants and does what he should which is different, he will never be tracking a player like maddison.

Denver Fulham

Both of our central midfielders got sucked way out to the left. Without knowing what the responsibilities are, it's hard to parse blame, but that left a gaping hole in the middle of the park for Maddison to stroll into. We originally were OK with Christie and Odoi there to cover two, but Odoi ended up dropping deep into the box and marking no one while Christie picked up Iheanacho. There was no one else to mark Maddison.

It seemed pretty bad to me, but again, I don't know what the players were asked to do. Odoi seemed miffed that there wasn't anyone there, but either he and/or Rico should have also seen the danger instead of ballwatching.