watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RICO - Very Poor on Saturday

Started by Fulll Time Andy, December 10, 2018, 02:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulll Time Andy

Haven't posted for a while, so be gentle...  i was at Old Trafford, and had the use of a lounge, so not only had a great view of the live game, but also lots of replays immediately after the game and half time.
I have to say i thought (as well as my goalkeeper son!) that although he did make some great saves during the game, Rico was at fault (along with other player too!) for 3 of the 4 goals - the only one i wouldn't apportion any blame to him would be the tap in form the (possibly offside) cross!
The 1st one he just left as he thought it was wide/over, the 2nd he was so slow to get down, and although partially blocked he could see the initial direction of the shot, and the 4th was quite simply shocking goalkeeping.
Whilst he has been very good recently, i don't think Betts did a lot wrong to be replaced (apart from win 3-odd MOTM awards in 5-odd games), and i guarantee he would have done better against Man U!

nose returns

Quote from: Fulll Time Andy on December 10, 2018, 02:05:05 PM
Haven't posted for a while, so be gentle...  i was at Old Trafford, and had the use of a lounge, so not only had a great view of the live game, but also lots of replays immediately after the game and half time.
I have to say i thought (as well as my goalkeeper son!) that although he did make some great saves during the game, Rico was at fault (along with other player too!) for 3 of the 4 goals - the only one i wouldn't apportion any blame to him would be the tap in form the (possibly offside) cross!
The 1st one he just left as he thought it was wide/over, the 2nd he was so slow to get down, and although partially blocked he could see the initial direction of the shot, and the 4th was quite simply shocking goalkeeping.
Whilst he has been very good recently, i don't think Betts did a lot wrong to be replaced (apart from win 3-odd MOTM awards in 5-odd games), and i guarantee he would have done better against Man U!

when I say such things I am torn to shreds but I do agree totally

sarnian

Sorry absolute twaddle.

Betts would not have saved any of the first 3. Everyone says keepers should not be beaten at the near post but they all let in goals there at some time. I think that no one expected Rashford to shoot as soon as he did

More to the point Rico installs far more confidence to the defence than Betts does and his kicking is far better.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Other than the 4th goal, which was still very good, I disagree completely, and anyone who thinks Bettinelli is anywhere near the level of goalkeeper Rico is is having a laugh frankly.

Moltobueno

Agree with the last comments here (sarnian and Neutral Zone Ultra)... Just can't forget the Patterson's goal to Betts  :doh:

davew

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 10, 2018, 02:24:53 PM
Other than the 4th goal, which was still very good, I disagree completely, and anyone who thinks Bettinelli is anywhere near the level of goalkeeper Rico is is having a laugh frankly.
+1
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Fulham1959

Fans get very fickle and they rush to judgement (good or bad) far too quickly.

Rico has a few good games and suddenly, "at last we've found our goalkeeper", "must sign him to a permanent deal", etc.  Betts was a bit of a hero last season, and rightly so.  I don't see Rico as any better than Betts.

I played in goal at the lowest possible levels but have studied goalkeepers, generally, for about 60 years.  I have yet to see one who never makes mistakes.  Football is a fast moving game with a bouncing ball, often rainswept and windswept, with deflections, unexpected happenings etc. and a goalkeeper's view is often restricted.  I don't see the 'blunders' by De Gea and Pickford, during the last 7 days or so, as blunders at all.  With hindsight, misjudgements, yes - but, without mistakes by all players at various times, how boring the game would be.

I'd love to see Betts back.  I have nothing against Rico though, clearly, he's still to get to grips with the English language (recent interview on FFC).

Statto

Quote from: Fulham1959 on December 10, 2018, 02:34:28 PM
Betts was a bit of a hero last season, and rightly so.  I don't see Rico as any better than Betts.

Not sure he was a hero - most summers the general view on here seemed to be he was an average championship keeper and we may need better if we had top 6 aspirations. in any case that was the championship. this is the premier league now.

Milo

Agree with OP. First and fourth goals he takes the majority of responsibility for. However there were also quite a few good saves throughout so, on a day where a lot of players didn't cut the mustard, I don't want to be too critical of the poor bloke.

Woolly Mammoth

He had a mixed game, some good saves, some poor goalkeeping, not convinced about him yet. But some of his team mates in front of him, did not do him any favours. As I say I am not convinced about him, and he has to improve his English, it is madness and self defeating not to.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Facts Not Fiction

I can't believe the drivel that is being posted here.

Rico has been superb of late, a given the amount of shots he is facing, 1 mistake shouldn't be criticised this much.

He is easily our best keeper since Schwarzer. Bettinelli isn't anywhere near him in terms of ability.

S.F.Sorrow

Maybe he wasn't quite up to his usual standards but any goalkeeper can have a bad day. I still think he looks like the best goalkeeper we've had in years. Hopefully it won't matter if we lost 4-1 or 2-1 away against ManU. The only thing that matters now is that we start collecting points in the next couple of games.

HillingdonFFC

Totally agree with the OP, hes looked (generally) a bit of an upgrade on Betts but think he was slow to react at times on Saturday

RaySmith

Quote from: Fulham1959 on December 10, 2018, 02:34:28 PM
Fans get very fickle and they rush to judgement (good or bad) far too quickly.

Rico has a few good games and suddenly, "at last we've found our goalkeeper", "must sign him to a permanent deal", etc.  Betts was a bit of a hero last season, and rightly so.  I don't see Rico as any better than Betts.

I played in goal at the lowest possible levels but have studied goalkeepers, generally, for about 60 years.  I have yet to see one who never makes mistakes.  Football is a fast moving game with a bouncing ball, often rainswept and windswept, with deflections, unexpected happenings etc. and a goalkeeper's view is often restricted.  I don't see the 'blunders' by De Gea and Pickford, during the last 7 days or so, as blunders at all.  With hindsight, misjudgements, yes - but, without mistakes by all players at various times, how boring the game would be.

I'd love to see Betts back.  I have nothing against Rico though, clearly, he's still to get to grips with the English language (recent interview on FFC).

There was a very strong blustery wind and torrential rain up there on Saturday.

Not sure myself how much there is to choose, if anything, between Rico and Betts, but I think we need to stick to one or the other.

Mickeyboro

We have to stick with him, but...

He doesn't command his box and come for crosses.

He uses the opposite hand to push the ball away.

Both bad habits in my view.

@jolslover

If you genuinely think Betts is on the same level as Rico then I am at a loss.

But I don't think anyone can believe this, I think what it comes to for some is that Betts is an ENGLISH Fulham man. Even if we had Neuer this section of supporters would still be calling for Betts.
STH H3

Fulll Time Andy

For the record, it wasn't too windy, and it was steady light rain, certainly no more than that.

As I started this lively debate, I'd also like to say that i did say he has been very good since he came in, I just thought he could have so much better for a few of the goals, to make 2 or 3 mistakes in one game is quite worrying...

happy to give him the benefit of the doubt though, although he's far from proven yet to be a "big improvement on Bett's", the keeper which the England manager thinks is one of the top 4/5 in England right now...

@jolslover

Quote from: Fulll Time Andy on December 10, 2018, 05:29:38 PM
For the record, it wasn't too windy, and it was steady light rain, certainly no more than that.

As I started this lively debate, I'd also like to say that i did say he has been very good since he came in, I just thought he could have so much better for a few of the goals, to make 2 or 3 mistakes in one game is quite worrying...

happy to give him the benefit of the doubt though, although he's far from proven yet to be a "big improvement on Bett's", the keeper which the England manager thinks is one of the top 4/5 in England right now...

If Rico was English he would probably be in the top 2 keepers in England. Would definitely be ahead of Betts in the pecking order tell you that much.
STH H3

FFC1987

No idea why people get so tribal about players. We're supporting the worst team in the EPL this year and we're pointing at the goalkeepers....quite frankly, it's pathetic. The mere suggestion that if someone likes Betts its because he's English or if you like Rico it's because you know more about football.....The margin on whose better is so marginal it's irrelevant for this team. We've had issues all year and I'm extremely dubious to lay much or any blame on a goalkeeper(s).

YankeeJim

When you consider that our defensive back four resemble a colander, Rico hasn't been half bad.
The real issue is the midfield. They constantly allow the opposition to charge in on the back four which stretches them and causes said colander effect.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.