more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (31/01/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 31, 2019, 08:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham's fabulous fightback restores belief

I don't mind admitting that I was flagging a bit last night. The monotony of the Premier League was beginning to wear me down. It has been something of a traumatic season. The loss of Slavisa Jokanovic was keenly felt because of the identity and sumptuous football that he got Fulham playing and, of course, the magical run towards the end of the season and an unforgettable day out at Wembley. The realisation that this squad was plucky and determined rather than properly equipped to be competitive at this level meant that grim gallows humour has been the order of the day for a few weeks now.

It was no surprise that the gut-wrenching defeat by Spurs was followed by the quick concession of a couple of goals to Glenn Murray last night. Whatever Claudio Ranieri does – and the defence has become a lot better since he took charge – our back line seems keep on making damaging mistakes. Murray could have had a first-half hat-trick and it wasn't as if Brighton played us off the park or he was making magnificent runs. The basics of getting goalside and shutting down crosses from the flanks are honed at a young level: it is as our defenders have forgotten everything they have been taught.

The comeback was as glorious as the weather was icy. There was simply no inkling of it coming. Jean-Michael Seri has had his detractors since that summer move from Nice but he was outstanding in the middle of the field. Some of the one-touch stuff Fulham played in the second half was reminiscent of that Jokanovic side at its silky best. I am still firmly of the belief that our best side includes Tom Cairney, whose cameo on the right side of midfield injected some class into proceedings, but whether Ranieri will be willing to jettison his back five to fit Fulham's two best passers into the team remains to be seen.

It does give Fulham's previously rather forlorn fight against the drop a real shot in the arm. There's no question that Aleksandar Mitrovic is one of the best strikers in the division and it is clear that he relishes a scrap. His first goal last night was a throwback to goals strikers snaffled in the 1940s and 1950s and the second was a great illustration of his desire and aerial ability as he beat Mat Ryan when Lewis Dunk was blatantly backing into him. He clearly has a great understanding with Ryan Babel, who continues to look a smart acquisition, and Luciano Vietto built on an encouraging cameo at Brighton with probably his most complete display in a Fulham shirt.

I do hope there is a change of emphasis in Ranieri's strategy going forward. It is clear that he is the archetypal Italian coach who wants his teams to be cautious and hard to beat, but barring a phalanx of defenders arriving at Motspur Park in the closing days of the transfer window, I don't think this Fulham squad has the personnel to play the way he would like. Instead, we are packed with ball-players and attacking talent – the route to safety could well be found by allowing our artisans to express themselves.

The last time the Whites came back from 2-0 down to win a Premier League fixture was that incredible revival against Manchester City that sparked the Great Escape under Roy Hodgson. Last night, reminded me a bit more of that feverish fightback against Tottenham at Loftus Road capped by Sylvain Legwinski's injury-time winner. Momentum is vital in a relegation run-in – we can't afford to waste ours now.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/01/fulhams-fabulous-fightback-restores-belief/

WhiteJC

What Roy Hodgson has said about transfers amid Fulham's reported interest in signing Scott Dann

Fulham have been linked with a move to sign Palace defender Scott Dann in recent days

Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson insists that the Eagles are not in a position to let any more players go this month, amid reported interest from Fulham in signing defender Scott Dann.

The Whites have been linked with a move to sign the former Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham City defender, who has found his opportunities limited at Palace so far this season, having returned from a long injury lay-off.

Dann did feature for the Eagles in their FA Cup fourth round win against Tottenham on Saturday, but he has not yet made an appearance in the Premier League this season, although he has been on the bench for several games.

But Hodgson says that as things stand Palace have no plans to let the 31-year-old, or any other player from the first team squad, leave the club before the transfer deadline tomorrow (Thursday).

He said: "We're not in a position where we can let players go. We've let eight go since the summer, we've trimmed down enormously.

"We're not looking to move players out. If anything, we've got a vacancy for someone to come in if the right man turns up."

Several players have departed the Eagles this month, either on loan or on a permanent basis, including Jason Puncheon, Alexander Sorloth, Jonny Williams, Jordon Mutch and Sullay Kaikai, with the first two going on loan.

From the development squad, Francis Jno Baptiste has also left the club to join Swedish side Ostersunds, while Nya Kirby, Joseph Hungbo and Oliver Webber have also left on loan this month.

https://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/transfer-news/hodgson-transfers-fulham-interest-dann-15752486

WhiteJC

Ranieri declares Fulham alive in relegation battle after win over Brighton

Claudio Ranieri declared Fulham are "alive" again following the dramatic 4-2 win over Brighton.

Aleksandar Mitrovic scored twice as the Cottagers came from two goals down to breathe life into their relegation battle.

The Cottagers, who had lost all four of their previous matches since the turn of the year, were staring down the barrel of another defeat after two first-half goals from Glenn Murray.

But Calum Chambers pulled one back with his first Fulham goal before two trademark Mitrovic headers put the hosts in front, and Luciano Vietto opened his account with the fourth to wrap up the victory.

"This three points means that we are alive, we can see a little light in front of us," said manager Ranieri.

"It is only a little step but we are alive. We showed very good fighting spirit.

"It was a very strange match, we were 2-0 down after 17 minutes. At half-time, I gave confidence to my players and positivity. I told them we are in the match.

"The goal from Chambers was very important, it gave the players the opportunity to say 'we can do something good tonight'.

"We deserved to win and we played very good football."

Murray had not scored in his previous nine Premier League matches but found Fulham's defence as accommodating as usual – he had tucked away his sixth and seventh goals in his last five games against them.

Yet somehow Fulham clawed themselves back into the contest two minutes after the interval, Chambers beating Mat Ryan from 20 yards before Mitrovic twice threw himself in where it hurts to turn the match on its head.

A nervous final 10 minutes looked in prospect until Tom Cairney struck the crossbar and Vietto tucked the rebound away to complete the dramatic turnaround.

Fulham remain second from bottom but are now two points behind Cardiff and five from safety.

It is now three straight defeats for Brighton, and manager Chris Hughton said: "Of course I was angry afterwards. You don't expect to concede four goals. That's not like us.

"I thought as good as we were in the first half we were as poor in the second half.

"Mitrovic is a very good player but we conceded poor goals. If I'm looking at the first goal we allow a player to strike from the edge of the box and that gives them momentum.

"Looking at the four goals we conceded they are four poor goals which is not like us, particularly in the form we have been in. We found it hard to cope in the second half and we didn't work hard enough."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/soccer/--901071.html

WhiteJC

Fulham still in race to sign defender as second source backs up potential move

Turkish newspaper Star claim Fulham are still in the race to sign Besiktas defender Domagoj Vida but Italian giants Roma and Inter Milan have edged ahead of them to land the Croatia international.

Yesterday we covered a report saying Vida had this week been offered to Fulham, with Claudio Ranieri looking to bolster his defensive options in this window. The player has been receiving reported interest from the Premier League ever since helping his country to last summer's World Cup final.

In recent weeks it's been reported Besiktas could sell Vida to ease their financial situation and Star say the Istanbul side club are ready to part ways if any of the interested clubs match their valuation.

It's reported Besiktas are close to signing Mauricio Lemos as a replacement for Vida and that Fulham, Inter Milan and Roma are all interested in signing the 28 year old defender.

Vida is currently the highest earning player in the Besiktas squad and the Turkish club are hoping to get him off their wage bill.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-continue-linked-world-cup-finalist-ahead-deadline/

WhiteJC

West Ham and Fulham eyeing Chelsea man ahead of deadline

West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini is reportedly looking to tie up a pre-deadline deal to take Danny Drinkwater on loan from Chelsea.

The Mail say West Ham have asked about Drinkwater and that there is also interest from Fulham as well as Burnley and Bournemouth, who are all said to be considering making a move for him.

Maurizio Sarri has reiterated that Drinkwater is not in his plans.

Drinkwater has been overlooked by the Chelsea boss, who does not believe he is suitable for the Blues' three-man midfield.

And Sarri made it clear at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon that he has not changed his mind.

"At the moment he is with us," Sarri said.

"I told you my opinion about this player. He is a very good player but I think he is more suitable for playing with two midfielders.

"He is not a central midfielder and not centre-right in a midfield with three players. In a 4-4-2 he is a very good player."

Sarri remains keen to bring in a midfielder to replace Cesc Fabregas, who recently left for Monaco.

oungster Ethan Ampadu struggled in the role in Sunday's FA Cup win against Sheffield Wednesday.

Sarri said: "I thought for us it was important to have two players. One (Gonzalo Higuain) has arrived. I am waiting for the other.

"If he will arrive, I will be very happy, otherwise I have to work with these players. It's not a big problem for me.

"Ampadu didn't play very well in that position. He is very young, it's a new position, and it's not easy to play there in our team."

http://londonfootballnews.co.uk/chelsea/football-west-ham-chelsea-danny-drinkwater-fulham-burnley-bournemouth/

WhiteJC

Turkish club beat West Bromwich Albion to striker target - reports

Outlets in Turkey say the 23-year-old is set to sign on Wednesday

West Brom target Aboubakar Kamara is set to sign for Malatyaspor, according to reports in Turkey.

In a report highlighted by Sport Witness , website Fanatik claims the Fulham attacker will put pen to paper on a move to the Süper Lig on Wednesday.

That news comes amid interest in the Fulham striker from the Baggies who were claimed to have lined up to a move in the next 48 hours.

The striker has been suspended by the Craven Cottage club after a fight with a security ground at the training ground.

He also had a confrontation with teammate Aleksandar Mitrovic after a dispute during a yoga session.

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri has said that he has forgiven Kamara and hinted that the door is open for him to return to the team.

But The Sun reported that Ranieri believes Kamara will benefit from a loan move – and is keen to send him to The Hawthorns.

Albion's interest in the 23-year-old first emerged this week – after he was banned from Fulham's training ground following his arrest on suspicion of actual bodily harm following an alleged fight at Motspur Park.

Ranieri said: "The players are free. They are concentrating on their job.

"If he goes or he comes back, then nothing happens. There is not an impact in this sense.

"I have forgiven him. If I have to tell him something, I will tell him something. After this is it is finished for me.

"I don't remember and say 'ah you did this, this and this...' It is finished."

The Baggies expect to complete a deal for an attacking signing before tomorrow's 11pm cut-off.

Newcastle United's Jacob Murphy is understood to be Darren Moore's top target – and Albion were boosted in that chase after the Magpies agreed a dead to bring in play-maker Miguel Almiron for a club-record £20m fee.

Which means the loss of Kamara might not be too much of an issue for the Albion head coach.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/turkish-club-beat-west-bromwich-15753320

WhiteJC

Fulham ready to pay asking fee to sign player before deadline, he's dithering over move

Aksam claim Fulham are interested in signing Galatasaray defender Serdar Aziz ahead of tomorrow's transfer deadline.

The Premier League side were linked with the player earlier in this transfer window following claims he'd offered himself to the London club.

The Turkish international is expected to leave Galatasaray this month after being banished from the first team squad by the Istanbul club's manager Fatih Terim.

According to Aksam, Italian side Lazio are also interested in signing the player, but Fulham are ready to pay Aziz's €2.4m transfer fee. CimBom are keen to get rid of the player in this window and have subsequently have lowered his valuation.

His time at the club was pretty much over when he took time off claiming illness and then an Instagram post showed he'd actually started his winter holidays in the Maldives early.

However, Aziz is now unsure on a move to Fulham, despite the earlier reports. It's claimed he's not considering a move to Craven Cottage due to Fulham's position in the Premier League.

The 28-year old has made 10 appearances for Galatasaray this season and is under contract with the Super Lig club until June 2020.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-ready-pay-asking-fee-sign-defender-deadline/

WhiteJC

What Ryan Babel has said about his short-term deal and the gamble of joining Fulham

The 32-year-old was signed from Besiktas during the January transfer window on a six-month deal

Ryan Babel has revealed he'll hold discussions with Fulham over extending his stay in west London - but only if the club stay up.

The Whites signed the forward on a six-month contract from Besiktas during the January transfer window to give Claudio Ranieri more experience and more options up front in order to try and survive in the Premier League.

His signing went against the club's usual policy of signing players aged 28 or below, something that has represented a change in approach for the club's recruitment department this January as they chase experienced Premier League plays to help their struggling side.

Ranieri has made sure everyone is aware that he feels his side lack the experience, something he highlighted over and over again after the 2-1 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur.

Babel provides that experience, but with only a short term deal on the table his future is very much still uncertain.

Speaking to Fulham's matchday programme, he said: "The idea is that if Fulham stay up, we'll sit around the table.

"It's a decision that will be made further down the line, but that's what we're all hoping for."

Babel had been at Besiktas for two seasons having signed for the Turkish club from La Liga side Deportivo La Coruna in 2017, where he won the Turkish title in his first season.

Previously he had spells at United Arab Emirates side Al Ain, Turkish side Kasimpa, Ajax and Hoffenhein after leaving Liverpool and the Premier League in 2011 and Fulham's move for him this January got the 32-year-old thinking what was best for his career.

The move certainly represents a risk for Babel, but he's hoping it will prove to be the right one come June.

He added: "I was at a training camp with my Turkish team and my agent called me and said Fulham were showing an interest.

"They tried to see if it was possible. That got me thinking - do I want it? Is it good for me?

"I had to think of all the different scenarios and whether it was the right decision. Hopefully it is the correct one."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/what-ryan-babel-said-short-15750610

WhiteJC

Seven momentum-turning Premier League results that give Fulham hope of survival

Fulham came back from the dead to beat Brighton - will that spark a change in fortunes? CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

Sitting inside Craven Cottage with their side 2-0 down at half-time against Brighton, Fulham fans will have been resigned to their fate: another defeat and the inevitable drift towards Premier League relegation. Cue a four-goal second-half masterclass and manager Claudio Ranieri announcing: "We can see a little light in front of us. It is only a little step but we are alive."

Ranieri's side remain five points from safety but could that incredible turnaround prove the catalyst for Fulham's survival act?

It is still early days but should they need any further inspiration, here are seven times one unlikely result altered a club's momentum to ensure they avoided relegation against the odds.

Crystal Palace, 2014/15

January 10, 2-1 win v Tottenham

Crystal Palace were not necessarily destined for relegation even while sitting 18th at the halfway stage of the season, but three wins from their first 20 games ensured avoiding the drop had become the sole aim. Things looked to be continuing in the same vein when Harry Kane gave Spurs the lead in new manager Alan Pardew's first game in charge at Selhurst Park, but a late Jason Puncheon goal secured the win that prompted a huge turnaround. Palace even finished the season in the top half of the table.

Portsmouth, 2005/06

March 11, 2-1 win v Manchester City

Harry Redknapp had taken charge in December and half a dozen new signings had been made made in the transfer window that followed, but still Portsmouth were plummeting. Having lost seven of their previous eight games (and drawn the other), they hosted Manchester City and, courtesy of a 25-yard pile-driver from Pedro Mendes in injury time, triumphed 2-1. Safety was still some way off but they went on to beat West Ham, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Wigan to seal their Premier League status with a game to spare.

West Ham, 2006/07

March 17: 2-1 win v Blackburn Rovers

West Ham looked to be sunk when they sat at the foot of the table, 10 points adrift of safety, with nine games remaining. A little helping hand from an overly eager assistant referee set the wheels in motion to change that. Having gone 1-0 down at Blackburn, Carlos Tevez equalised on 71 minutes before Bobby Zamora scored a winner four minutes later when the assistant referee ruled his shot had crossed the line despite replays showing otherwise. West Ham won six of their next eight games, paid a fine and significant sum to Sheffield United for the whole Tevez third-party ownership affair, and remained a Premier League club.

Queens Park Rangers, 2011/12

March 21: 3-2 win v Liverpool

It was mid-March and there were 10 games left for QPR to climb out of the relegation zone when Liverpool's Sebastian Coates did something quite ridiculous at Loftus Road by hammering a scissor kick into the net from just inside the penalty area. A 1-0 Liverpool lead soon became 2-0 and Rangers looked sunk. Cue goals from Shaun Derry (77min), Djibril Cisse (86min) and Jamie Mackie (90+1min) for a victory that halted QPR's slide in a flash. Wins followed against Arsenal and Spurs among others, and they survived despite a somewhat eventful defeat on the final day of the season at Manchester City.

Wigan Athletic, 2011/2012

March 24: 2-1 win v Liverpool

Just three days after they gave QPR the boost needed to push for survival, Liverpool did exactly the same thing to Wigan. An appalling start to the season had seen Wigan go on a run of eight straight defeats and meant they were always attempting to claw their way back to retain their Premier League status. Gary Caldwell's goal in this match secured Wigan's first-ever win at Anfield and sparked an end to the season that included seven victories (against the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal) in nine games.

Leicester City, 2014/15

April 4, 2-1 win v West Ham

Promoted the previous season, Leicester looked to be returning to the Championship as they sat seven points from safety as they entered April. A late Andy King goal secured a 2-1 win over West Ham that changed everything. Jamie Vardy's injury-time goal then provided back-to-back wins in their next match against West Brom and Nigel Pearson's side would win seven of their final nine games to eventually finish six points clear of the relegation zone. The next season would prove rather different.

Sunderland 2013/14

April 16: 2-2 draw v Manchester City

Few envisaged Sunderland having much of a say on the title race as they prepared to face Manchester City and Chelsea in the space of four days. Gus Poyet's side were seven points from safety and written off at the bottom of the table. Two late Connor Wickham goals changed that as they secured a 2-2 draw in a match they may well have won at the Etihad Stadium and they then inflicted Jose Mourinho's first home Premier League defeat in 78 games as Chelsea manager. A victory at Old Trafford soon followed in a remarkable late run to stay in the top flight.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/30/seven-momentum-turning-premier-league-results-give-fulham-hope/

WhiteJC

Lazio interested in signing Manchester United youngster before Thursday's deadline

Manchester United allowed Timothy Fosu-Mensah to join Fulham on a season-long loan deal last summer.

The Dutchman has eight appearances in the Premier League this season, which includes seven starts and all of those were when Slaviša Jokanović was in charge.

Since Claudio Ranieri took charge at Craven Cottage in November, the 21-year-old has made only one appearance and has been left out of the squad in 11 league games.

His limited playing time at Fulham is something both the defender and the Red Devils are unhappy about, according to Calciomercato.it.

Manchester United wanted him to develop by playing regular football elsewhere, but that hasn't happened so far this campaign. Therefore, Fosu-Mensah could leave Ranieri's side and join another club on a temporary deal.

It is claimed that Lazio are one of the clubs who have tested the market to see if they can land the fullback on loan in the winter market.

The report doesn't mention whether Fosu-Mensah, Fulham or United are interested in the loan transfer.

A source has told Sport Witness that, right now, it's likeliest for Fosu-Mensah to continue at Fulham beyond the mid-season transfer window, even though he's featured only once since the former Leicester City manager took charge in November.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/139207-2/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney: 150 Not Out

Lost in all the euphoria of last night's epic comeback against Brighton and Hove Albion was the fact that Tom Cairney's introduction as an early substitute marked his 150th appearance for Fulham.

Cairney's class on a football field has never been in doubt. He flickered brightly with Hull City as a teenager and his capture from Blackburn Rovers for little more than £3m in 2015 seems a steal in hindsight. With such a smart football brain and crisp passing ability, it was no surprise that he flourished under Slavisa Jokanovic's tutelage and, when he was switched into a playmaking central midfield role, the classy midfielder became the fulcrum around which an unassailable team was built. Cairney's partnership with Stefan Johansen and Kevin McDonald comprised the most complete midfield in the Championship, with Fulham's domination of possession appearing almost absolute at times.

The Scottish international, who has also matured markedly as he assumed the captaincy following the retirement of Scott Parker, has also had to show serious resilience as he has battled back from two troubling injuries over the past couple of seasons. It was noticeable that Fulham's indifferent start to the last campaign ended with Cairney's return to the side and, despite another injury-troubled season this term, there is no doubt that he makes such a difference to the side. Last night's turnaround only served to underline the point, with Fulham able to impose themselves on Brighton only once Cairney had come off the bench to replace Tim Ream on 26 minutes.

The difference in Fulham's patterns of play and assertiveness with Cairney able to protect possession and set the Whites moving forward alongside the outstanding Jean-Michael Seri was massive. Although Claudio Ranieri has so far sought to play only one of the pair having opted for a back five, I'm hoping that he can tweak the system to fit Fulham's two best passers of a ball into the same side. The momentum garnered from last night's revival is massive – and, with a number of away wins needed to secure survival, it would make sense for Ranieri to become a little more adventurous.

Without Cairney, Fulham suddenly seem primitive and predictable in possession. His composure on the ball in tight spots is a real asset for a defence that has suffered so regularly this season and his eye for a pass provides a greater threat going forward. Ranieri might have correctly identified that Cairney doesn't score enough goals for a player of his calibre, but you could hardly quibble with his effectiveness last night. He was incredibly unfortunate not to mark his landmark with a goal, curling two sumptuous efforts against the crossbar, even if one did rebound kindly for Luciano Vietto.

Cairney has already served up so many special moments in his time at the club. His tears at Reading following the play-off defeat were followed by his desire to lead the team back to the promised land and he delivered in such fine style on that magnificent day at Wembley. That outstanding injury-team equaliser at Leeds that propelled the Whites' late charge into the play-offs will live long in the memory as well his wondrous strike at Wolves. He's already etched his name into Fulham folklore – and you wouldn't bet against Cairney carving out a few more memories between and now and the end of this campaign.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/01/tom-cairney-150-not-out/

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Fulham and Cardiff working on deals to sign Man United 22-year-old

Manchester United defender Demitri Mitchell is a target for Fulham and Cardiff before the close of the transfer window, Football Insider understands.

Premier League duo Fulham and Cardiff have both made enquiries about Mitchell's possible availability and are working on signing him by Thursday night.

Mitchell is currently on loan at Hearts, but United could cancel the loan if they receive a suitable offer for the defender who has come through the ranks at Old Trafford.

The 22-year-old made his first-team debut for United on the final day of the 2016/17 season against Crystal Palace and he spent the second half of last season on loan at Hearts.

The England Under-20 international is highly-rated at United, but he is well down the pecking order to break into the first-team and United are open to considering offers for the full-back.

Fulham and Cardiff have monitored Mitchell's progress at Hearts this season and see him as a potential star in the making who would boost their defensive options.

In other Manchester United news, Football Insider can reveal Paul Scholes has landed a new job.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-fulham-and-cardiff-working-on-deals-to-sign-man-united-22-year-old/

WhiteJC

Can Fulham Produce Another 'Roy Hodgson' Style Miraculous Escape Or Is It Too Late?

After the first 45 minutes on a wet, windy and snowy evening at Craven Cottage, it seemed all was lost.

A shambolic display from the home side, knowing that only a win and 3 points would give them any chance of salvation. One down following the most simple of goals coming from a Brighton defender running from inside his own half totally unchallenged. He sent a low cross into the Fulham penalty area, and with one outstretched right leg, the 35-year-old veteran striker Glenn Murray put the visitors ahead within 3 minutes.

It was to get worse, as Fulham ran around again like headless chickens. Defending like a team of ten-year-olds, Brighton totally dominated the proceedings, looking like a team of champions compared to the home side. Another set of defensive errors after another led to Murrays and Brighton's second goal. It was fortunate for Fulham, owing to a fine save from Rico they only went in 2 goals behind at the break.

A change of tactics from Ranieri with Ream off, followed by Schurrle replaced by Cairney and Vietto, the second half seemed like Fulham had swapped shirts with their opponents. It was Fulham that started on the front foot. Within 3 minutes of the restart, Chambers volleyed in a lovely left-footed shot into the corner of the net. Cairney started to dictate the play, together with a much-improved performance from Seri, who at last started to show why Fulham paid the high price tag for him last summer.

The whites deservedly equalised with a fantastic header from Mitrovic, who out-jumped and out-muscled Brighton's defenders and goalkeeper. Fulham were on equal terms. Vietto was causing Brighton problems with his clever runs, and now it was Fulham that looked more likely to score each time they attacked a shaky defence. Bryan worked well with Babel down the left and crossed perfectly for Mitrovic to bulldoze his way above the Brighton defence to send the rampant home fans wild with his second headed goal.

Vietto was soon to put the game beyond reach for the Seagulls finishing another swift attacking movement after the rejuvenated Cairney smashed a shot against the crossbar as he calmly slotted home.

At last a victory, the first for a month, but it may be too little too late. With Burnley getting a point at Man Utd and Newcastle beating Man City, the gap between the other stragglers at the foot of the table is not closing. With four of the next eight fixtures, Fulham have, four are against the top six teams. There are also local derbies with Palace and West Ham too.

Can Ranieri and the lads repeat the amazing survival Roy Hodgson led Fulham to a few years back?

Is it history repeating itself, as that run began following a 2-0 half time deficit away to Man City where the whites ran out winners 3-2?

In all truth, I honestly believe the lack of bringing in a stronger back line has cost Fulham their place in the EPL this season. Was sacking Jokanovic and replacing him with Ranieri the right decision?

The facts are, they both (after tonight's match) were/have been in charge for 12 league games.

Here are their stats:

Jokanovic

• Played – 12
• Won – 1
• Drawn – 2
• Lost – 9
• Goals For – 11
• Goals Against – 31
• Points – 5
• Goal Difference – -20

Ranieri

• Played – 12
• Won – 3
• Drawn – 3
• Lost – 6
• Goals For – 14
• Goals Against – 22
• Points – 12
• Goal Difference – -8

Both had 4 games against the top 6 and both lost all 4.

I hope I am wrong, and Fulham amaze us all once again by surviving. It is a big ask!

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/can-fulham-produce-another-roy-hodgson-style-miraculous-escape-or-is-it-too-late/

WhiteJC

Reported Fulham and Burnley target Clinton Njie wants Premier League move

Marseille's Ligue 1 outcast Clinton Njie reportedly wants to return to England amid interest from The Cottagers and The Clarets.

Former Tottenham Hotspur attacker Clinton Njie wants to return to the Premier League before the end of the January transfer window, according to France Football.

The Cameroon international is expected to leave Marseille this month after making just two Ligue 1 starts all season for under-fire manager Rudi Garcia.

France Football reports that Njie has been in talks over a loan move to Besiktas but it is understood that he has his heart set on a second chance in English football – or a money-spinning move to China or Saudi Arabia.

Earlier in the month, it seemed that there was a lot of interest from Premier League clubs with The Mail claiming that Fulham, Burnley, Cardiff City and Newcastle United were all interested in signing the 25-year-old speedster.

Newcastle may be out of the race now with Miguel Almiron set to complete his big-money move to St James'. But relegation threatened Cardiff, Fulham and Burnley are still in need of attacking reinforcements with goals in relative short supply, although The Cottagers and The Clarets impressed in the final third on Tuesday night.

Tottenham paid £12 million to sign Njie in 2015 (The Guardian), though he failed to score a goal in 10 Premier League appearances.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/30/reported-fulham-and-burnley-target-clinton-njie-wants-premier-le/

WhiteJC

The six players Fulham fans want the club to sell before the transfer deadline

We asked the Fulham fans to have their say on who they wanted to keep and who they wanted to sell

With less than 36 hours left in the transfer window, Fulham are expected to be active as they look to bolster their squad for the battle to avoid relegation.

The Whites currently sit second from bottom in the Premier League, despite coming from two goals down to win 4-2 against Brighton & Hove Albion last night (Tuesday) to give themselves a boost in their battle to avoid the drop.

However, Fulham have only managed to sign one player so far in this window, securing the services of Ryan Babel from Besiktas until the end of the season with defensive targets so far eluding them.

Fulham have been heavily linked with signing a number of players before the deadline, including Gary Cahill and Scott Dann as the Whites look to bolster their options.

A host of the club's stars have also been linked with moves away from Craven Cottage this transfer window, with Stefan Johansen, Neeskens Kebano, Kevin McDonald, Aboubakar Kamara and Fabri among those names.

The only players to have been sold are Cauley Woodrow and Stephen Humphrys, but both of these were already out on loan during the first part of the season and had no place in Fulham's first team.

But Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri has not ruled out further departures in the window.

"Could be – if somebody comes, somebody may leave the club," he said.

"I spoke with some players, and we said maybe it is much better for them to go and play and not stay here.

"But of course I have to replace these players. If a player goes I have to replace.

"We want to maintain this group, because it is a very good group, and I need everybody. Everybody that is available, and I have to choose the best XI.

"I am optimistic we can get players in, one, two, three, I don't know. Maybe four!"

At football.london , we recently asked the Fulham fans to give their views on who they would want to keep and who they would sell in the transfer window, and they have spoken.

And of the current first team squad, not including players in on loan, there are six players the Fulham fans who have voted in our poll want to see sold.

They are Kevin McDonald, Ibrahima Cisse, Neeskens Kebano, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, Floyd Ayite and Fabri.

Of those, goalkeeper Fabri polled only 17.6 per cent of votes in favour of being kept, with more than 50 per cent of fans also voting to sell McDonald (54.5 per cent in favour of being sold), Cisse (56.1 per cent), Kebano (67.5 per cent), Anguissa (68.3 per cent) and Ayite (71.4 per cent).

Two other players, Stefan Johansen and Aboubakar Kamara, polled just over 50 per cent of votes in favour of being kept, with 46.8 per cent and 44.4 per cent of fans voting to sell them respectively.

Unsurprisingly, very few fans want to see Aleksandar Mitrovic or Ryan Sessegnon sold, with both players polling more than 96 per cent of votes in favour of being kept.

All other players in the first team squad polled at least 60 per cent of votes in favour of being kept.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/six-players-fulham-fan-want-15753868

WhiteJC

Report: West Ham leading the race to sign Danny Drinkwater

According to reports from the Daily Mail, West Ham United are leading the race to sign Chelsea midfielder Danny Drinkwater before the window closes.

The report claims that the Hammers are looking to sign the 28-year-old on loan in January.

The Hammers are expected to face strong competition from other rival clubs, as Fulham, Burnley and Bournemouth are also considering a move for the former Leicester City midfielder.

Drinkwater joined Chelsea from Leicester City in the summer of 2017 for £35million but has struggled to make an impression under Maurizio Sarri.

He is yet to play a single Premier League game this season, and is likely to leave the club this month.

While Chelsea would want any potential suitors to take him on a permanent deal, it is more likely they will have to offload him on loan.

Drinkwater is a very good player, and he would be a superb addition for both the Hammers and Cottagers. His move at Chelsea may not have worked in his favour, but he still remains a quality Premier League player.

It remains to be seen whether West Ham or Fulham can seal a loan move for him before Thursday's deadline.

https://sportslens.com/report-west-ham-leading-the-race-to-sign-danny-drinkwater/258100/

WhiteJC

Tiehi's Pro Deal

The Club can confirm that Jean-Pierre Tiehi has signed his first professional contract with The Whites on his 17th birthday.

The powerful forward has signed a deal keeping him at the club until 30th June 2021.

The 17-year old has missed most parts of the Under-18s' season with a long-term injury, but made his comeback in the 3-1 defeat to Southampton last Saturday.

After signing his deal, Tiehi told fulhamfc.com: "I don't think there is anything better than signing this contract on my birthday. It could be the best present I ever receive.

"It's a big achievement for me in everything I've worked for since I started playing football. I think every football player dreams of this moment in reality. It's a big dream.

"I'm at a great Club with a great environment for young players to develop so I'm very excited to see what happens in the future."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/30/jpt-contract

WhiteJC

Stephens: Mitrovic's second shouldn't have counted but Brighton only have themselves to blame for Fulham defeat

Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Dale Stephens felt Fulham's third goal should have been disallowed last night but added the Seagulls only had themselves to blame for the defeat.

Albion led 2-0 at half-time of the Premier League game through a double from Glenn Murray but Fulham hit back in the second half to claim a 4-2 win. Brighton felt captain Lewis Dunk was fouled by Aleksandar Mitrovic as the Fulham striker headed in his second goal to make it 3-2 and Stephens said afterwards: "I think it's a foul. I think he jumps on Dunky's back. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't.

"But overall we're disappointed with what we produced in the second half, rather than blaming anybody else."

Reflecting on the match, Stephens said: "I thought we played well in the first half and deserved our lead at half-time.

"We went away from what we were doing and they've got a lot of quality in their team and they showed it in the second half but it was all our own undoing in the end.

"Taking a two goal lead into half-time is where you want to be away from home. Everyone is disappointed with the way we defended and conceded goals in the second half."

Stephens added the Seagulls have to quickly move on from the defeat and said: "We've got some tough and important games coming up. We've got to move on from this one tonight and fully focus on Watford at the weekened."

Read more at: https://www.brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/sport/football/albion/stephens-mitrovic-s-second-shouldn-t-have-counted-but-brighton-only-have-themselves-to-blame-for-fulham-defeat-1-8790666

WhiteJC

Seafarers given tickets to their first Premiership football match bring good luck to team

Four seafarers working in the UK for the last five months were given a special treat thanks to Fulham Football Club, which provided them with free tickets to their game against Brighton last night (29th January).

Captain Archival Bait and three of the MT Gerda crew travelled to Craven Cottage after international maritime charity Sailors' Society contacted the club to see if they could help realise their dream of watching a live Premiership match.

Captain Bait said: "It was a fantastic experience and a great game. We're really grateful to Sailors' Society and Fulham Football Club for getting us to our first Premier League game and can't wait to tell our family in the Philippines about our unforgettable experience.

"We'll be Fulham fans for life now!"

After the excitement of the game, which finished 4-2 to Fulham, the men travelled back to Tilbury docks where they will be based until 7th February, when they set sail for Denmark.

Frans Sahetapy, Sailors' Society's port chaplain for Tilbury and London Gateway, helped the men get to the game and has become firm friends with the seafarers.

He said: "Since the crew have been in the UK, they've become big fans of the Premier League.

"When I collected the men to go to the game, they said 'Santa's coming'."

The world's 1.6 million seafarers can spend months at sea, transporting 90% of the goods we rely upon on a daily basis.

Sailors' Society's CEO, Stuart Rivers, said: "What can seem like a small gesture like tickets to a football game, will live long in the memory of these seafarers and we are really thankful to Fulham for making their dream to see a live game come true."

http://shipmanagementinternational.com/seafarers-given-tickets-to-their-first-premiership-football-match-bring-good-luck-to-team/

WhiteJC

West Brom to lose out on Kamara

Reported West Bromwich Albion transfer target Aboubakar Kamara is set to sign for Turkish side Malatyaspor, according to the Birmingham Mail.

The Birmingham Mail states that reports in Turkey say the Fulham attacker will complete a move to the Süper Lig on Wednesday.

West Brom were believed to be weighing up a move for the player before the January transfer window closes on Thursday but now look likely to have missed out.

The striker hit the headlines last week after a fight with a security guard at the training ground lead to the police being called and Kamara being suspended by Fulham.

Kamara also had an argument with Fulham teammate Aleksandar Mitrovic after a yoga session at the club's training facilities.

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri had said that the door would be open for Kamara to return to the squad, though West Brom were looking to pounce on his likely availability following his suspension by the club.

Ranieri spoke of Kamara's situation earlier this week, saying:

The players are free. They are concentrating on their job.

If he goes or he comes back, then nothing happens. There is not an impact in this sense.

I have forgiven him. If I have to tell him something, I will tell him something. After this is it is finished for me.

I don't remember and say 'ah you did this, this and this...' It is finished.

However, it now looks as though Kamara will leave Fulham but not for West Brom.

https://readwestbrom.com/2019/01/30/west-brom-to-lose-out-on-kamara/