more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (31/01/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 31, 2019, 08:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham willing to pay £2m for Galatasaray's Serdar Aziz

Turkish Super Lig champion Serdar Aziz is reportedly a target for Premier League Fulham.

Fulham have identified yet another centre-back target in Galatasaray's Serdar Aziz, according to Haberturk.

The Cottagers have been linked with a number of experienced defenders this month. But Fulham, who have conceded more goals than any other Premier League side this season (53), have signed just one player so far – the winger Ryan Babel.

Haberturk, however, believes that they have now launched a late bid to bring Aziz to Craven Cottage from reigning Turkish Super Lig champions Galatasaray.

A 28-year-old defender who has earned 16 caps for the Turkey national team, Aziz won the second league title of his career last year, almost a decade after he lifted the title with Bursaspor.

Haberturk reports that Fulham are willing to pay £2 million with Gala ready to listen to offers. However, it is understood that the 6ft stopper does not want to join a club stuck in a relegation battle.

Despite coming from two goals down to beat Brighton and Hove Albion on Tuesday evening, Claudio Ranieri's side are still five points adrift of safety in the Premier League.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/30/do-report-fulham-willing-to-pay-2m-for-galatasarays-serdar-aziz/

WhiteJC

Fulham beating Newcastle to sign this 2-time PL champion would be a massive coup for Ranieri

Why Fulham should beat Newcastle United to sign Antonio Valencia

According to a report from the Sun, Fulham and Newcastle United are interested in signing Manchester United outcast Antonio Valencia this month.

Antonio Valencia, 33, has featured in just five Premier League matches for Manchester United this season and only once under caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The right-back, whose contract is up at the end of the season, fell out of favour towards the end of Jose Mourinho's tenure at the club.

The report claims that United are willing to allow their skipper Antonio Valencia to leave Old Trafford this week rather than lose him for absolutely nothing at the end of the season. That said, Fulham must do everything to beat Newcastle for the signature of the Ecuadorian star.

The January transfer window shuts tomorrow and so far Fulham have made only one signing – Ryan Babel from Besiktas. The defence has been an area of concern for the Cottagers, having leaked in a staggering 51 goals this season.

Manager Claudio Ranieri has very little time to bring in defensive recruits to help their Premier League survival chances. And while bolstering the options in central defence has to be of paramount importance for the Cottagers, Ranieri would do a good job if he manages to land Antonio Valencia in a cut-price deal, especially after missing out on Victor Moses.

Ranieri has already confirmed that he does not see Manchester United loanee Timothy Fosu-Mensah as a key part of his plans, giving the Dutch defender a thumbs-up to return to his parent club if he wishes to. Instead, the Italian tactician possibly wants Valencia to join his forces at Fulham and United should allow their skipper to leave the club this month.

Valencia joined United back in 2009 from Wigan Athletic and has racked up 338 games for the Red Devils, netting 25 goals. The Ecuadorian's legs aren't what they used to be and he has noticeably become slower since the last year or so, but his vast Premier League experience and leadership skills would come in handy for Fulham.

In truth, any defensive-minded player would be a welcome addition for a Fulham side who have conceded the most goals in the Premier League this season. And the two-time Premier League winner should represent a coup for Ranieri if the West Londoners manage to land him before the transfer window slams shut.

https://soccersouls.com/2019/01/30/fulham-beating-newcastle-to-sign-this-2-time-pl-champion-would-be-a-massive-coup-for-ranieri/

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney believes passing football is blueprint for Premier League 'great escape'

Purist: Tom Cairney believes Fulham must pass their way to Premier League safety

Tom Cairney declared after Tuesday night's remarkable victory over Brighton that it will be "the great escape" if Fulham manage to beat the drop this season.

Given the fact they remain 19th in the Premier League and five points from safety, the midfielder is probably right.

However, at least now Fulham have the blueprint for how they should go about pulling off such a feat.

And Cairney, who was called off the bench after 27 minutes to help inspire a comeback from two goals down, believes the Cottagers can do so playing the attack-minded football that earned them promotion from the Championship last season.

"Look, we have got players to play football," Cairney told Standard Sport.

"I just feel like we have got to pass the ball. I think that is what we did in the second-half. 

"That is what I came on and tried to do to the team. I mean it is tough, we can't really outfight teams.

"We aren't big enough, we aren't strong enough.

"But we have got good footballers in the team with Ryan Babel coming in, Jean-Michael Seri who can play football, myself.

"With Aleksandar Mitrovic up top, we have always got a chance to score. That is our best way; playing to feet."

At half-time on Tuesday night Fulham looked dead and buried. Striker Glenn Murray had scored twice for the visitors inside the opening 17 minutes to suck the life out of Craven Cottage.

The bitter wind and snow was doing that anyway, but the fact Murray essentially scored the same goal twice in a row certainly didn't help matters.

It was the 52nd and 53rd time Fulham have conceded in the Premier League this season, a remarkable statistic when you consider they have played 24 games.

No one in Europe's top five leagues has been so porous in defence.

When Claudio Ranieri was appointed as the club's manager back in November, he promised to put a stop to all that.

"Fulham concede a lot of goals," he said. "I'm an Italian manager. For us Italians it's important to maintain the clean sheet."

Defensive failings had been a key factor in the downfall of his predecessor, Slavisa Jokanovic.

The Serbian struggled to stop Fulham leaking goals and the fact he had five different centre-back pairings in the 12 Premier League games before he was sacked says it all.

As a torrid first-half against Brighton showed, Ranieri has not been able to address that issue but he may have stumbled upon a better solution.

The second-half was Fulham at their very best under the Italian. In fact, they improved from the time defender Tim Ream was taken off to bring on Cairney.

Suddenly the idea of packing the defence with three centre-backs and two wing-backs was ditched as Fulham threw caution to the wind by going on the attack.

Lining up in a 4-3-3 formation, the team was now revolving around a midfield trio of Chambers, Seri and Cairney himself.

With Cairney and Seri dictating matters Fulham focused on getting the ball down and playing, not out-muscling Brighton – which few teams in the top flight can do.

It worked in magnificent style. First Chambers scored a sumptuous volley two minutes after the break, before an Aleksandar Mitrovic brace, taking the striker's league tally to 10 for the season, and a first goal from Luciano Vietto completed the stunning comeback.

The style of the turnaround was as remarkable as the fact it took place at all.

There were no long balls forward. Fulham did not have to scrap and fight their way to victory. Instead they passed their way there.

"I think that is the only way we can do it," Cairney added. "We tried to fight, we tried to scrap a little bit, go a bit more direct.

"But I think we have our most success and look most dangerous when we play football.

"Obviously it is still going to be the great escape if we get out of the situation we are in.

"I think to have any chance we have got to go back-to-back wins for the first time."

Chambers was in full agreement with his team-mate.

"I think we changed it tactically. I think it is safe to say we had a poor first-half, we know that as a team," he said.

"In the second-half we just came out and we moved the ball a lot better."

Fulham have not won two Premier League games on the spin all season and they will have to beat Crystal Palace on Saturday if they wish to do so. 

It will be no easy task, and the same goes for trying to avoid relegation. However, at least now the plan is clear. Attack really is the best form of defence.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/fulham-midfielder-tom-cairney-passing-football-blueprint-premier-league-great-escape-a4053326.html

WhiteJC

What happens in a football medical? We find out what players go through before a transfer is confirmed

Sunday league journeyman Jacob Murtagh went along to the world-class facilities at St George's Park to see what lots of players will be put through on Transfer Deadline Day

When you read that a player joining your club has "passed his medical", you can breathe a sigh of relief.

One of the final steps in the transfer process, it usually means the deal is about to be sealed.

Medicals will be happening left, right and centre on Transfer Deadline Day this Thursday.

But what does a medical actually entail? Mirror Football's Jacob Murtagh went along to the world-class facilities at St George's Park to find out.

Here's his account of a frantic day at the National Football Centre:

I've played football for more than two decades and never had any problems, so I was pretty confident heading into the medical after Mirror Football triggered the £10 release clause in my Beesotted contract.

But before we start it's important to note a player doesn't just pass or fail a medical.

Perform's clinical director Dr Charlotte Cowie explained: "That is a bit simple compared to what actually happens.

"You're trying to give a club as much information as possible because in the end they have to decide whether they want to take a player or not."

First I was put through my paces by Perform's leading sports scientist Dr Carl Wells in their state-of-the-art performance lab.

After a quick warm-up on the bike, I took part in the Biodex assessment, which is designed to test the strength between muscle groups.

You are strapped into a chair and required to extend your leg by kicking out before pulling it back to the starting position. This was repeated five times, then again with more resistance.

Unfortunately, this highlighted a strength imbalance between my quads and hamstrings. I was told this was common with footballers, so not a massive problem. However, extra work to strengthen my hamstrings was recommended.

Not exactly a storming start.

Cause for concern: Results show Murtagh has some weakeness in his hamstrings (Image: Julian Hamilton/Daily Mirror)

Next was the V02 max test, which assesses your aerobic fitness. This is used to feed back to the buying club what level their prospective signing is at. Are they ready to go straight into first-team action?

Or would this risk injury because they are not up to speed and need time working with the fitness staff instead?

You are required to run on a treadmill at varying speeds while breathing into a mask to determine your aerobic capabilities.

This went fairly well. I might not be ready for Premier League action, but I'll have no problem getting through 90 minutes on a Sunday morning.

On the run: Murtagh tries out the VO2 max test (Image: Julian Hamilton/Daily Mirror)

Dr Wells, who was speaking from Perform at St George's Park, said: "Every player is unique, so you have to notify a club if there is a potential red flag. Then it's their decision whether they work with that or do not sign the player."

Out of the lab and in to see Dr Cowie. She takes a look at a player's medical and injury record.

Players who have been dogged by injury problems throughout their careers could be high-risk signings, so Dr Cowie needs to determine whether their past will hinder their future performances for the buying club.

She said: "There have been times in the past when you see a player who is so bad that you say there's just no way he can train or play.

"Or there have been instances when you might have to advise a club that their prospective signing has an ongoing injury and they might only be able to do limited training.

"An older player who a club wants because of their experience, you might say if this player trains too much or plays Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday they might break down."

However, there are some instances where a player 'fails' a medical at one club but is successful elsewhere.

Charlie Austin's proposed move to Hull in 2013 broke down after testing, only for him to sign for QPR three weeks later.

"Sometimes a manager will want or need a player so much because either their squad is depleted or it's a player he has wanted for a long time that they overlook some injury risks in order to get them," Dr Cowie added.

"Other times they could be looking for someone who is a long-term investment. If a player has a short-term injury like a calf strain and we are confident that will settle down, then they might be willing to go with that.

"Other times they may be looking at a massive investment of money. They could be looking at two or three other players, there might be something wrong with one of them to say 'we won't go with this player' and go for another option."

Luckily I've had a clean bill of health throughout my Sunday league career, and after a closer examination I'm given the green light.

With a spring in my step I head off to see England physio Steve Kemp for an orthopaedic and movement screen.

He takes the medical assessment from the first two parts and goes though it in more detail. He looks at every joint individually, paying particular attention to ankles, knees and hips.

Kemp said: "We look at their mobility and write a report – red, amber or green. The red ones are a real concern, like fluid on the knee. This makes a player a high risk signing.

"Amber things are like weakness in muscles or poor calf capacity. We grade it and then summarise it for the clubs."

Feeling the strain: Murtagh is examined by England physio Steve Kemp (Image: Julian Hamilton/Daily Mirror)

After a series of stretches and exercises Steve has an issue with my left hip, which could lead to problems later in my career.

This hasn't affected me whatsoever during my life – in fact I didn't even know about it.

Kemp added: "If a player with a really bad knee problem is offered a five-year contract then that's not good management. It might be that they are given a year or two with appearance-based clauses. It protects the club."

I guess I'll have to forget about the mega-money deal and settle for a couple of pints and a packet of peanuts instead.

So in conclusion I'm a bit of a risky signing due to my new-found hip problem. I've discovered more about my body in three hours than I have in the past 30 years.

However, I'm an old head in the dressing and may be worth a punt if any managers need a bit of experience in their squads for the business end of the season.

Perform at St. George's Park are available for the support of players and clubs during the transfer medical process, to keep up to date with Perform news follow @PerformSGP on Twitter.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/transfer-deadline-day-2019-medical-8732021

WhiteJC

Club reach 'agreement in principle' to sign Fulham player

Futbol Arena, and many others in Turkey, on Wednesday afternoon report Yeni Malatyaspor have agreed a deal to sign Aboubakar Kamara from Fulham.

They also state the Turkish Super Lig club have made a new offer to sign Kamara's Fulham teammate Neeskens Kebano.

According to news outlet, Yeni Malatyaspor president Adil Gevrek, who's currently in London, has made an improved offer to sign Kebano but the Turkish club's officials are not seeing the transfer as a huge possibility due to high cost.

Kamara is different, and it's explained there's an 'agreement in principle' to take Fulham's resident misfit away from the Premier League club.

The club's official social media are also talking up the player's impending arrival.

On Twitter they've published a message reading 'A London Story' with an outline of a player and the words 'Coming Soon – Are You Ready?'.

Fans of the club and the media following are taking that player to be Kamara, given it was known a deal was close and the message has the 'London' part.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-reach-agreement-principle-sign-fulham-player/

WhiteJC

Newcastle beating Fulham to sign this midfield powerhouse would be quite a terrific move by Benitez

Why Newcastle United should beat Fulham for Ibrahim Amadou

Rafael Benitez has always faced an impossible task of keeping Newcastle up in the Premier League. Yet, the former Liverpool manager has somehow done it once, and has done a good job so far this season. His main objective is to save Newcastle United from relegation and do it without any real influx of funds from owner Mike Ashley. The Magpies have had their moments of doubt, and at the moment they sit five points from relegation.

Spanish news outlet Mundo Deportivo has revealed that the Magpies are in the race for Ibrahim Amadou. The Sevilla midfielder was at his very best against Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey semi-final and his performance impressed both Newcastle United and Fulham.

However, while the Spanish side are unwilling to sell the 25-year-old who arrived in the summer, things could get interesting if a high enough offer is made. So far, the Frenchman has only managed to play eight games in the La Liga, with just two starts to his name.

Now with the January window coming to a close soon, the Magpies want to make a deal worth somewhere around £8million but with Fulham also in the race, they need to act fast. If anyone needs Ibrahim Amadou – it's Rafael Benitez and company. At the moment, Newcastle United have eight players out to various injuries.

That includes main midfielders – Jonjo Shelvey, Mohamed Diame and Ki Sung-Yueng, which leaves just Isaac Hayden fit. It has caused a few problems for the Magpies and Benitez even had to call up U-23 star Sean Longstaff to play against Cardiff City and Chelsea. That's why the club needs to drum up the money and bring in Ibrahim Amadou before they suffer the consequences of what has been a terrible injury season for them.

The former Lille star would be a great signing for the Magpies. A defensive midfielder by trade, Amadou has a brilliant eye for the game and can see moves happen, which allows him to cut it out. That combined with his defensive contributions should be of massive help to Newcastle in their relegation scrap.

His willingness to work hard and give everything for the side will help the Magpies going forward, which is exactly why they need to make the move.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2019/01/30/newcastle-beating-fulham-to-sign-this-midfield-powerhouse-would-be-quite-a-terrific-move-by-benitez/

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Stefan Johansen in talks over move to Fenerbahce which could allow Claudio Ranieri to bring in Chelsea outcast Danny Drinkwater

Fulham midfielder Stefan Johansen is in talks over a move to Fenerbahce
    The 28-year-old has been a target for Championship side West Bromwich Albion
    A move to Turkey would allow the club to push for Chelsea's Dany Drinkwater

Fulham midfielder Stefan Johansen is in talks over a move to Fenerbahce.

The 28-year-old Norwegian was a target for Championship side West Bromwich Albion but is tempted by a move abroad even though Fenerbahce are languishing at the wrong end of the table.

Johansen's departure could allow Claudio Ranieri to push for Chelsea midfielder Danny Drinkwater.

Fulham midfielder Stefan Johansen is in talks over a move to Turkish giants Fenerbahce

Johansen has featured 12 times in the Premier League for the Cottagers this season but has failed to register a goal or an assist.

The Norwary captain joined Fulham in 2016 when he completed his £2million move from Celtic.

His current deal at Fulham is set to expire this summer.

Chelsea's Danny Drinkwater has been linked with loan moves to West Ham and Fulham

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6649715/Fulham-midfielder-Stefan-Johansen-talks-Fenerbahce.html

WhiteJC

Celtic To Rival Valencia For The Signature Of This Premier League Midfielder: How Can He Fit Into Rodgers' Plans?

According to the latest reports in the Scottish Sun, Celtic are eyeing a pre-contract deal with Fulham's 18-year-old midfielder Tyrese Francois. The youngster is in the final six months of his contract and is yet to commit his future with the Premier League outfit. Celtic's next Europa League opponents Valencia are also in the mix to sign him, and they are confident of luring him to the La Liga. Premier League outfit Crystal Palace's name is also doing the rounds as one of the interested parties.

The Australian born midfielder has come up from Fulham's academy and is yet to make a senior team appearance with the Cottagers. Francois has been regular for his side in the Premier League 2. With Fulham fighting relegation, one can understand why Claudio Ranieri is unwilling to experiment at this stage by giving a newbie a run into the senior team.

Celtic have a knack for picking out terrific young footballers, and it seems like they are looking at Francois as a prospect for the future. Celtic apparently won't have to spend a penny to land him as they can secure a pre-contract move which would see the midfielder join Celtic Park after his contract expires after the end of the ongoing season.

We don't expect the 18-year-old to have an instant impact in Celtic's first team and it is likely that the young midfielder might have to bide his time with the reserve squad before coming in contention to start for the first team.

Francois can play anywhere across the midfield, and it would be interesting to see how Rodgers would want to use him if the Hoops agree on a deal with him. The 18-year-old lacks on the physical side, but he makes it up with his technical abilities on the ball.

The youngster has everything to his game which a midfielder needs as he can create chances as well as recover balls. He works hard out of possession and is tenacious in his approach. That is one of the primary reasons why the young prodigy can be deployed in different roles in the middle of the park.

However, with a Spanish top-flight club also in the reckoning, Celtic might find it hard to lure him. A signing like this might not make an immediate impact on the first team but it is always good to have a young pool of players coming in, and Francois would be a decent addition for the future given his talent and abilities.

https://the4thofficial.net/2019/01/celtic-to-rival-valencia-for-the-signature-of-this-premier-league-midfielder-how-can-he-fit-into-rodgers-plans/

WhiteJC

Fulham working on agreement to sign Norwegian – Hangeland says he's better than Odoi

Fulham always seem to spring a few surprises as transfer deadlines approach.

Who can forget the January 2017 winter window and the striker search which covered most of Europe and included an ambitious move for Sergi Enrich which failed due to payment instalments.

This time one of the late men is Håvard Nordtveit, according to TV2 in Norway.

Recognise the name? That'll be because he played for West Ham in the 2016-17 season and came through the youth system at Arsenal.

Now at Hoffenheim, the 28 year old could be on the move again.

TV2 says the parties involved are trying to 'nail an agreement' before the window closes.

The Norwegian media outlet has even got comments from former Fulham captain Brede Hangeland, who thinks the player would go into Claudio Ranieri's starting line up: "I can't see any other reason why Fulham should sign him than to go straight to the team. They have no need to get someone who cannot start and reinforce the base. Håvard also has no interest in sitting on the bench in the Premier League.

"Fulham has a defence that is definitely not good enough. If he is intended for a defender role, he will be an upgrade on Odoi who plays to the right of the middle now."

That's straight to the point from the former defender, a man who Fulham would love to have back with them if he could only roll back the years.

A big thanks to @RonnyS0L in Norway for heads-up.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-working-agreement-sign-norwegian-previously-west-ham-arsenal-youth-set/

WhiteJC

Ranieri signing this 28-year-old AFCON winner would make a huge difference in Fulham's relegation battle

Why Fulham should go all out to sign Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui

According to a report from Calciomercato, Fulham, Cardiff City and Newcastle United are all keen on Slavia Prague defender Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui.

Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui, 28, helped Slavia to the title in his debut campaign in Prague and helped Cameroon lift the Africa Cup of Nations in 2017. He has been stellar this season as well, helping Slavia sit four points clear at the top of the Czech first division table and reaching the last 32 of the Europa League.

The Cameroonian defender's displays have caught the attention of the Premier League trio. The report claims Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui has a release clause in his contract worth £4.5million, a fee that must surely tempt Fulham to ramp up their efforts and beat the likes of Cardiff and Newcastle in landing the defender before Thursday's transfer deadline.

Fulham have dealt a big blow after centre-back Alfie Mawson was ruled out until April at least after undergoing surgery for a knee injury. Mawson arrived at Craven Cottage from Swansea City in the summer but has failed to live up to the expectations and will not be back to the fold until the final month of the Premier League campaign.

The Cottagers have already been in shambles defensively and Mawson's injury will certainly cause a lot of panic in Claudio Ranieri's camp. The Englishman's injury leaves Ranieri with the likes Denis Odoi, Calum Chambers, Tim Ream and Maxime Le Marchand as options in central defence.

None of the aforementioned defenders has performed constantly this season and that should prompt Ranieri to make a move for Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui.

Renowned for his physicality and tough-tackling traits, Ngadeu-Ngadjui is a central defender by trade but he is also comfortable operating as a defensive midfielder. The Cameroon international reads the game very well, uses the ball efficiently and has the maturity to be a frontline defender for a Premier League club

Not to forget, the 28-year-old's vast European experience and leadership skills could also come handy if Fulham manage to land him. Furthermore, he boasts of impressive agility and a decent turn of pace despite being so tall.

There is no question that Ngadeu-Ngadjui has the potential to be an inspired signing for Ranieri's Cottagers. And with Fulham involved in a relegation battle, the Cameroonian could perhaps make a huge difference.

https://soccersouls.com/2019/01/31/ranieri-signing-this-28-year-old-afcon-winner-would-make-a-huge-difference-in-fulhams-relegation-battle/

WhiteJC

Why is Ryan Sessegnon Struggling?

As Gareth Southgate mulled over his England World Cup squad in May of last year, one name stood out as an exciting possible selection. That man was not Jadon Sancho, but instead Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon.

Whilst Sancho was just kick-starting his career at Borussia Dortmund, Sessegnon was coming towards the end of a remarkable Championship season. The 18-year-old would eventually finish the season with 16 goals and eight assists.

Ryan Sessegnon's Fall From Grace
In the end, Sessegnon narrowly missed out on Russia 2018. Nonetheless, the future appeared bright for the versatile winger. With Fulham winning promotion back to the Premier League, things looked to have set up nicely for Sessegnon to further enhance his already glittering reputation as one of English football's most talented prospects.

Fast-forward eight months and there is a stark contrast in the fortunes for the youngster. Sessegnon's role as a key cog in the Fulham machine has somewhat disintegrated, and the England Under-21 international now finds himself something of a bit-part player under Claudio Ranieri. Compare that to the meteoric rise of Sancho at Dortmund and the picture painted is dark and bleak.

What has Happened to Ryan Sessegnon?
Sessegnon's struggles are attributable to a number of different factors this season. Perhaps most significantly for Sessegnon and Fulham, the biggest factor in their paralleling failure has been the vastly different landscape in which they find themselves.

Whilst Slaviša Jokanović's expansive and attacking style deservedly earned plaudits and points in English football's second tier, the same philosophy ultimately earned him the sack in the Premier League. On too many occasions was his side comprehensively beaten by an opposition who were more robust defensively and more clinical in attack.

Much like his former manager, Sessegnon's game revolves around an inclination to attack, but the quality of opposition in the Premier League has limited his attacking threat and exposed him defensively.

Interestingly from a defensive perspective, Sessegnon featured for the full 90 minutes in heavy defeats against Arsenal (5-1 and 4-1), Manchester United (4-1), Bournemouth (3-0), Cardiff City (4-2), Everton (3-0) and Manchester City (3-0), but has only featured prominently in one of Fulham's four Premier League wins this season – a 3-2 win at Southampton.

There is a sense growing that Ranieri, being a defence-minded coach, doesn't trust Sessegnon to fulfil the duties he expects of his fullbacks, wingbacks and wingers. The proof is in Sessegnon's relegation to the Fulham bench.

The selection of Joe Bryan in the left wingback slot does also offer some food for thought for Sessegnon. Bryan, like Sessegnon, spent most of last season operating as an advanced role for Bristol City, yet still gets the defensive nod from Ranieri.

Expensive Recruitment Costing Sessegnon
Sessegnon's defensive frailties are not the only issue. The goals have also dried up. Prolific in the Championship, Sessegnon has only found the back of the net on two occasions this season – both of which came against the two other sides promoted from the Championship last term; Cardiff City and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

A large part of that can be put down to Fulham's expensive recruitment over the last two windows. The acquisition of household names such as André Schürrle, Luciano Vietto and ex-Liverpool man Ryan Babel have thrust Sessegnon out of an advanced role and into a competition for a wingback slot in which his manager clearly doesn't trust him.

As Ranieri prepares his Fulham side for the impending relegation battle, displacing the experienced aforementioned trio is going to be difficult. Schürrle, Vietto and Babel all possess extensive European top-flight pedigree, whereas Sessegnon remains indebted to the Championship for his best form.

Since the arrival of Babel in January, Sessegnon has only played a total of 48 minutes of football spread over two games. If his 13-minute cameo against Brighton & Hove Albion on Tuesday night is anything to go by, the remainder of the season does appear ominous for Ryan Sessegnon.

However, whilst transfer links with the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea have vanished and with that the talk of an England senior call-up too, it is very easy to forget that Ryan Sessegnon is still only 18 years of age.

Even in the Championship, Sessegnon was far from the finished article and his debut Premier League season will act as a harsh learning curve for a young talent looking to reimpose himself.

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2019/01/30/why-ryan-sessegnon-struggling/

WhiteJC

Cairney eyes another 'great escape'

Tom Cairney says last night's stirring fightback against Brighton and Hove Albion shows that Fulham can pull off another 'great escape' and stay in the Premier League.

The Cottagers are still five points from safety, but Cairney feels that coming back from two goals down to record their first win in a month has boosted morale around the club. The Scottish international, who was introduced as an early substitute after Glenn Murphy's double inside the first twenty minutes, also believes that passing football is the way to get Fulham out of trouble.

Look, we have got players to play football. I just feel like we have got to pass the ball. I think that is what we did in the second-half. That is what I came on and tried to do to the team. I mean it is tough, we can't really outfight teams.

We aren't big enough, we aren't strong enough. But we have got good footballers in the team with Ryan Babel coming in, Jean-Michael Seri who can play football, myself. With Aleksandar Mitrovic up top, we have always got a chance to score. That is our best way; playing to feet.

I think that is the only way we can do it. We tried to fight, we tried to scrap a little bit, go a bit more direct. But I think we have our most success and look most dangerous when we play football.

Obviously it is still going to be the great escape if we get out of the situation we are in. I think to have any chance we have got to go back-to-back wins for the first time.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/01/cairney-eyes-another-great-escape/

WhiteJC

3 Ideal Premier League destinations for Newcastle's struggling star including Fulham

Three Premier League clubs Ayoze Perez can join

Sky Sports has reported that Atlanta United star Miguel Almiron is close to a move to Newcastle United, for a club-record fee, which if true does effectively end Ayoze Perez's time at St. James' Park. The Spaniard hasn't been at his best since arriving at the club, failing to hit the heights he once did for former club CD Tenerife.

The 25-year-old has only managed to produce seven goals in 27 appearances this season, which has been one of the many reasons why the Magpies are struggling. However, now with Almiron arriving, it could mark the end of Perez's time, but he could still stay in the Premier League. That being said, here are three sides that Ayoze Perez can join.

Fulham
The Cottagers are currently residing in the bottom three of the Premier League table and are among the favourites to get relegated this season. However, bringing in Claudio Ranieri has changed things a little but they still lack creativity in the final third. Adding Ayoze Perez however, could be their answer even if it's only on a loan move for the next six months.

The 25-year-old needs to prove himself and helping a relegation-threatened side survive in the Premier League could essentially be his answer. Not to mention, Fulham could definitely use his ability to find the net and his creativity in the final third of the pitch. However, while he would take some convincing to join a relegation-threatened side, the idea of playing football again could convince Perez to join.

Leicester City
With Shinji Okazaki interested in moving on from the King Power Stadium, Leicester City need another star to replace the hard-working Japanese striker. In steps Ayoze Perez, and while the 25-year-old isn't a hard-working striker, he is technically proficient, which is more towards what manager Claude Puel needs.

The Spaniard has struggled during his time in the Premier League but he has consistently chipped in with goals when required. Together alongside James Madison, Jamie Vardy and even Kelechi Iheanacho, Perez can provide competition for places and even become a super-sub.

All in all, he would be an interesting signing for the Foxes.

Southampton
At the moment, manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has used both Nathan Redmond and Danny Ings together but the former Norwich City star's best spot is on the wing. Adding Ayoze Perez allows the boss to bring in a second striker, with proven Premier League experience.

This would not only allow Redmond to play in his preferred position on the right-hand side but also allow Ings and Perez to form a rather lethal partnership up front. The on-loan Liverpool star is among Southampton's best player this season, and adding a creative second striker next to him would simply improve any chances he gets at scoring goals.

However, it's up to Hasenhuttl to convince Ayoze Perez to join his team and stay up in the Premier League.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2019/01/31/3-ideal-premier-league-destinations-for-newcastles-struggling-star-including-fulham/

WhiteJC

Mitrovic revels in 'magical night'

Aleksandar Mitrovic revelled in what he described as 'a magical night' at Craven Cottage after Fulham roared back from two goals down to breeze past Brighton and Hove Albion last night.

The Cottagers breathed new life into their battle against the drop with a storming second half display that stood in stark contrast to their abysmal first half showing. Mitrovic scored two goals and came out on top in a real battle with Brighton's two centre backs, Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy, after a display of classical centre forward play.

The Serbian striker told Fulham's official website that he relished the physical battle with the Brighton centre halves:

They are tough, tough guys, really strong, tall guys, like every Premier League defender.

I enjoy competing with different defenders every week, and against Brighton I scored two goals.

I had good service second half and we played unbelievably. We got four goals, and could have scored a few more, so it really was an unbelievable night. After a very bad first half, we tried to give everything second half. We wanted to go out and do everything we could.

We scored nice and early with the first goal, then the second goal, third goal, and the fourth goal finished the game. We didn't concede any goals at the end.

It was really a joy to play in, and the fans were unbelievable. They believed as well, like we believed, and it was a magical night, and hopefully there are more wins to come.

It was a big game, a big three points. We had an unbelievable second half. We believed, and we fought until the end, and I think we deserved this.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/01/mitrovic-revels-in-magical-night/

WhiteJC

Fulham signing former Premier League winner on the cheap would be an absolute steal by Ranieri

Why Fulham must quickly snap up Shinji Kagawa from Borussia Dortmund

According to a report from the Bild, Borussia Dortmund could allow Shinji Kagawa to leave the club for as little as €2-3million this month.

Shinji Kagawa, 29, has been frozen out by manager Lucian Favre at Signal Iduna Park this season. He is surplus to requirements at Dortmund largely, thanks to Marco Reus' ability to stay injury-free this season.

The Japanese has managed just four outings this term and is nearing the end of his career at Dortmund. With the German club looking to offload Shinji Kagawa before the January transfer window closes, Fulham must make a move for the playmaker.

So far this month, Fulham have brought in just one player. Ryan Babel is the only man to have arrived at the Craven Cottage, with the Dutchman signing from Besiktas on a six-month contract until the end of the season.

It's clear the Cottagers still need more recruits, especially in the defensive department, but manager Claudio Ranieri should further boost up his attacking ranks with the acquisition of Shinji Kagawa.

Fulham will know what they'll exactly get from Shinji Kagawa, who had a torrid time with Manchester United earlier in his career despite winning the title with them. Apart from his creativity, the Japan international can aim for the goal from a variety of ranges and could be a menace for the opposition if utilised in the right way by Ranieri.

The 29-year-old primarily plays in the number 10 position due to his ability to dribble with the ball and score goals from both inside and outside the box. Moreover, Kagawa has already won the Premier League title with Manchester United a few years ago, so he won't have too much headache adapting to life in the Premier League.

Fulham need more creativity and stability in their midfield to control the tempo of the game and someone like Kagawa would be a good choice. Available for a low fee, the Japanese would be a steal for Ranieri's Cottagers.

And that's why Fulham should get a deal for Kagawa over the line as quickly as possible.

https://soccersouls.com/2019/01/31/fulham-signing-former-premier-league-winner-on-the-cheap-would-be-an-absolute-steal-by-ranieri/

WhiteJC

Fulham fightback showed spirit they'll need on horror run, says Calum Chambers

Attitude that beat Brighton from 2-0 down will be handy in successive home games against four of the top six

Calum Chambers reckons Fulham showed with their comeback to beat Brighton they DO have the bottle Tim Ream accused them of lacking.

Back in October as they struggled to cope on their return to the Premier League, Chambers fellow Cottagers defender Tim Ream said "there are not enough guys who want it" in the squad.

Subsequent results, and the sacking of Slavisa Jokanovic just six months after steering them to promotion, suggested Ream has right. But on Tuesday, Fulham battled back from 2-0 down at home to win 4-2 — their first victory this year.

Two goals from Aleksandar Mitrovic and one each by Chambers and Luciano Vietto ended a run of four straight defeats for new boss Claudio Ranieri's men.

"We have shown we have the stomach for the fight. We were 2-0 down, conditions weren't nice, we could have easily crumbled — but we didn't," said Arsenal loanee Chambers.

"We showed fighting spirit, we showed character and we showed a bit of pride. I think that's what we are capable of and that's what we need to do every game from now on. That's going to be crucial. We have got to look at that second-half performance and what we did well. We have got to learn from that and take it into the next game.

"That is the important thing – to try and build a bit of momentum. I think we can take a lot of positives from the second-half and go into the next games knowing we are capable of that."

The three points were even more vital to Fulham's survival chances because of who they face in their next four home games — Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City.

Chambers says they will carry on looking to 16-goal Mitrovic for leadership as they try to avoid an instant return to the Championship.

He said: "Having him in the team can help you. He is a fighter, he is strong, and he scores goals. Having a player like him is crucial. That is why we need to use him. We need to use him as a player, know what his qualities are, and use them to our advantage.

"He is a great character. He is a fighter. To have someone like that in the team is brilliant. He leads from the front. So having someone like that in the team is what we need.

"There were obviously words from the manager at half time. We all spoke among ourselves as players. It was just a case of, we know it wasn't good enough and we knew had to go out in the second-half and turn it around, show a bit of pride and character. That is what we did."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-fightback-showed-spirit-theyll-13930375

WhiteJC

The Fulham View

It seems quite some time since we opened the season against newly promoted Fulham, so TEB had a chat with popular Fulham fan group Fulhamish Pod to find out their views on the season so far and the fixture at Selhurst.

Q. How has the season been for Fulham so far?

Disappointing, to say the least. Coming into the season with so much optimism, with so many new signings who we thought would fit; everything seemed like it was all set for a season kicking on into the promised land. Safe to say it hasn't gone to plan. Whilst Tuesday's win gave a glimmer of hope that salvation might be achieved, it's going to take an almighty effort to keep Fulham in the Premier League. That's not something we envisaged on that first day of the season at the Cottage.

Q. What did you make of the game at Craven Cottage on the opening day of the season?

It seems a long time ago now, but I remember leaving that game somewhat optimistic. We'd lost, yes, but because of naivety rather than poor play, and we were denied a stonewall penalty at 1-0 down. I thought it was a fairly even game and remember thinking that as long as we played like that, we'd be alright. It soon went downhill.

Q. What are your hopes for the rest of the season?

The second half against Brighton was almost vintage Fulham. Dominant on the ball, creative, looking to get the full-backs in. If we can play like that until the end of the season, including the fight and passion shown by the players, it would go a long way to restoring some pride and would give us the best possible shot of staying up.

Q. Did the fans fully support the managerial change and how has Claudio Ranieri done since coming in?

It was a hard decision to make, and a lot of people miss Slavisa. Stylistically, I do as well, although I appreciate that given the results at that point and the fact that the manager hadn't signed a new contract, that it was probably the right decision to let Jokanovic go, but replacing him with a manager with a polar opposite style still jars. Ranieri has done okay, getting more points on the board, but his marginalisation of Ryan Sessegnon and Tom Cairney hasn't endeared him to the Fulham faithful.

Q. Who has been the stand out Fulham player?

Aleksandar Mitrovic. In a season of almost constant lows, the big Serb has been a leader on and off the field and is fast on his way to becoming a Fulham legend. If Fulham survive, Mitrovic will have had about 90% to do with it.

Q. Do Fulham have any needs ahead of the transfer window and how active do you think they will be?

We desperately need a centre-half and some cover at right back. Given the ongoing talks with Scott Dann, I think he could be a player that we bring in to shore up a back line which is still leaky. I think two or three will come through the door before the window slams shut.

Q. If you could pick one Palace player for Fulham to sign in January, who would it be and why?

Aaron Wan-Bissaka. Whilst the obvious options obviously appeal, Fulham are so reliant on their full-backs to do the damage and AWB looks a world class prospect. Think he would suit how important the role is in Fulham's system. Wonderful footballer.

Q. Name one Fulham player and one Palace player that you believe will be a threat in this game?

The aforementioned Mitrovic aside, Ryan Babel has had a really positive impact since signing from Besiktas in January. His direct nature and physical presence compliments Mitrovic and it's no surprise that since his introduction, performances have improved. At the other end, it's hard to look past Wilf. Whilst he hasn't been quite at his frightening best of late, the ability and talent he has is scary and if he turns up on Saturday, the Fulham defence are in for a long afternoon.

Q. Perhaps you could share your opinions on Palace so far this season?

It's been a strange season for a Hodgson side – weak at home and strong away seems like a weird thing to happen but it seems to be just about working. The big scorelines against City, Liverpool and Tottenham look great on paper, but realistically Palace need to be winning games like Saturday if they're truly to move clear of the relegation scrap.

Q. Your prediction?

I'm going to be bold and say that Fulham will thrive off the back of the Brighton result. 2-1 Fulham.

https://theeaglesbeak.com/2019/01/31/the-fulham-view-2/

WhiteJC

Fulham working on Nortdveit deal

Fulham are working on a deal to sign centre back Havard Nordtveit from Hoffenheim, according to reports from Norway this evening.

The 28 year-old Norwegian international, who can also play as a holding midfielder, has had two previous spells in English football with Arsenal and West Ham United and is reportedly keen on returning to the Premier League. Nordtveit has spent the past two seasons with Hoffenheim since leaving the Hammers, but has made just eight Bundesliga performances this season.

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri has been desperate to bring in a centre back for much of the January transfer window, but talks over a potential move for Chelsea defender Gary Cahill broke down earlier this month. The move to sign Nordtveidt, who has won 45 caps for his country, has earned a thumbs up from former Fulham captain Brede Hangeland, who himself made a January move to Craven Cottage with the club deep in the relegation mire back in 2008.

Hangeland, who now works as a television analyst, told TV2 tonight:

I can't see any other reason why Fulham should sign him than to go straight to the team. They have no need to get someone who cannot start and reinforce the base. Håvard also has no interest in sitting on the bench in the Premier League.

Fulham has a defence that is definitely not good enough. If he is intended for a defender role, he will be an upgrade on Odoi who plays on the right of the back three right now.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/01/fulham-working-on-nortdveit-deal/

WhiteJC

Southampton and Fulham battle for in-form star – Sky Sports

Premier League rivals Southampton and Fulham are both interested in signing Birmingham City striker Che Adams before Thursday's transfer deadline, according to Sky Sports.

The attacker has been excelling at St Andrews this season and looks like a player capable of making the jump from the Championship up to the top flight with either the Saints or Cottagers.

Southampton have been relatively quiet in the market this month but as speculation over Charlie Austin's future continues, their reported interest in Adams makes some sense.

The St Mary's Stadium side have improved since the appointment of Ralph Hasenhuttl as manager but are reliant on Danny Ings for goals – the addition of another centre forward would certainly take some of the goalscoring burden away from him.

Fulham are in a real battle to secure their Premier League status and need to start picking up points soon to avoid a first-team relegation back to the Championship.

While the Craven Cottage outfit's weakness this season has been at the back, the impending exit of Aboubakar Kamara will free up a space in attack for Claudio Ranieri's men.

Fulham are spearheaded by Aleksandar Mitrovic in the final third but having someone of Adams' quality to provide support would be a boost for the London outfit.

Birmingham will be reluctant to sell their star man at such a late stage in the window, but if either Southampton or Fulham come in with a considerable offer, their hands may be tied.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/southampton-and-fulham-battle-for-in-form-star-sky-sports/

WhiteJC

Chambers says Fulham 'have stomach for the fight'

Calum Chambers believes Fulham's incredible fightback against Brighton and Hove Albion on Tuesday night shows that they 'have the stomach for the fight' as they battle to stay in the Premier League.

The Arsenal loanee's first goal for the club sparked a remarkable comeback as the Whites scored four second-half goals without reply, having trailed to an early Glenn Murray brace. Chambers feels that the precious victory could serve as a turning point in their season and gives Fulham belief heading into Saturday's trip to Crystal Palace.

He told the Mirror after the final whistle:

We have shown we have the stomach for the fight. We were 2-0 down, conditions weren't nice, we could have easily crumbled — but we didn't.
We showed fighting spirit, we showed character and we showed a bit of pride. I think that's what we are capable of and that's what we need to do every game from now on. That's going to be crucial. We have got to look at that second-half performance and what we did well. We have got to learn from that and take it into the next game.

That is the important thing – to try and build a bit of momentum. I think we can take a lot of positives from the second-half and go into the next games knowing we are capable of that.

Chambers also praised the impact of Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, who grabbed a double to rock Brighton back on their heels.

Having him in the team can help you. He is a fighter, he is strong, and he scores goals. Having a player like him is crucial. That is why we need to use him. We need to use him as a player, know what his qualities are, and use them to our advantage.

He is a great character. He is a fighter. To have someone like that in the team is brilliant. He leads from the front. So having someone like that in the team is what we need.

There were obviously words from the manager at half time. We all spoke among ourselves as players. It was just a case of, we know it wasn't good enough and we knew had to go out in the second-half and turn it around, show a bit of pride and character. That is what we did.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/01/chambers-says-fulham-have-stomach-for-the-fight/