watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

substitution

Started by sarvenpa, February 09, 2019, 02:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarvenpa

I absolutely lost it when he changed Schyrrle for Christie.
Not becuse Schyrrle, i wanted him off the pitch after 15 minutes.
But Christie goes on, holy sh*t!

That did it for me.............

Neil D

It was a bewildering decision.

David I

No one around us could understand that substitution either...... Rainiei must be either a) having a mental break down or b) probing a point that we needed a RB.

Twig

Quote from: David I on February 09, 2019, 03:43:51 PM
No one around us could understand that substitution either...... Rainiei must be either a) having a mental break down or b) probing a point that we needed a RB.

Same in our area. Bewildering.

bahay18

it was one of a number of bewildering decisions today. It started with the team line up and after the first 5 mins it spread to the players with some mind blowing decisions being made . Trying to dribble the ball around pogba on the edge of our own box. bryan unable to play offside when he had the line of the penalty area to use. Rico deciding that he won't cover the near post or make any attempt to save it ( which he only does if its straight at him). Odoi ( although he does try and play) getting caught up pitch and then not do whatever it takes to take out martial before he gets in the box. vietto running with the ball in acres of space in the middle of the pitch and somehow loses control without even a challenge and runs into jones. It goes on and on. these were unforced errors , these were choices players made . Completely oblivious to a dangerous situation emerging.

But how ranieri can think that the answer was to bring on christie in that situation is amazing . Sess and cairney sitting on the bench must be wondering what on earth is going on . I think ranieri has made such a big point now about those 2 that he won't swallow his pride and admit he has it wrong .

Statto

FWIW I was disappointed with the crowd reaction to Christie coming on. I moan an awful lot on here but I'll never boo a Fulham player. Christie is an average championship player out of his depth in the PL but that's not his fault and he seems a decent lad off the pitch. But to be clear I agree it was an effing woeful decision to bring him on.

Bill2

Quote from: bahay18 on February 09, 2019, 04:22:05 PM
it was one of a number of bewildering decisions today. It started with the team line up and after the first 5 mins it spread to the players with some mind blowing decisions being made . Trying to dribble the ball around pogba on the edge of our own box. bryan unable to play offside when he had the line of the penalty area to use. Rico deciding that he won't cover the near post or make any attempt to save it ( which he only does if its straight at him). Odoi ( although he does try and play) getting caught up pitch and then not do whatever it takes to take out martial before he gets in the box. vietto running with the ball in acres of space in the middle of the pitch and somehow loses control without even a challenge and runs into jones. It goes on and on. these were unforced errors , these were choices players made . Completely oblivious to a dangerous situation emerging.

But how ranieri can think that the answer was to bring on christie in that situation is amazing . Sess and cairney sitting on the bench must be wondering what on earth is going on . I think ranieri has made such a big point now about those 2 that he won't swallow his pride and admit he has it wrong .
Absolutely agree with most of the above, but not about Dennis Odoi. We were attacking and he had gone forward, the ball bounced among a number of players and then nothing more than a luck rebound went stray to Martial who went and scored. By the time Odoi had got close enough to foul him it would have been a straight red and probably a penalty. So he did the correct thing. But I cannot defend the bringing on of Christie when we are 0.2 down.

bahay18

that goes back to the poor decision making and being caught ahead of the ball when you are right back. to be fair to dennis(and i think he has given everything this year)  he got back at martial outside the box , if that had been city they would have floored him and probably escaped a booking as well

Dodger53

Schurrle off yes but not for Christie for crying out loud.

Berserker

I think it was awful our fans booing Christie when he came on. I know we are in a bad spot tbis season but there is no need for fans to boo their own players.

From my seat I thought Ream made some poor decisions and switched off at times

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

The Enclosurite

Nobody booed Christie. It was aimed at Ranieri for the substitution.
¡COYW!

David I

Think the booing was more to do with Ranieri choice of substitution as it was swiftly followed by chants of "you don't know what you're doing"

Clearly CR doesn't!!

MikeW

Agree: I don't think it was Christie who inspired the ire, it was the crass substitution decision.  But Odoi .... dear oh dear.  Has anyone even dared count how many conceded goals he and Ream have been directly responsible for this season?

Answer me this though.  If CR gets the boot, who worth their salt is going to take on the 'get relegated but you might get the chance to re-build' job opportunity?
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Berserker

I bet Christie thought the booing was aimed at him, not going to build his confidence is it

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Sting of the North

Quote from: MikeW on February 09, 2019, 05:12:29 PM
Agree: I don't think it was Christie who inspired the ire, it was the crass substitution decision.  But Odoi .... dear oh dear.  Has anyone even dared count how many conceded goals he and Ream have been directly responsible for this season?

Answer me this though.  If CR gets the boot, who worth their salt is going to take on the 'get relegated but you might get the chance to re-build' job opportunity?

Which goal today was Odoi directly responsible for? The first was a little of MLM losing possession, a little more of Bryan not holding the line, and a lot of Rico not covering first post.

The second, yes he was caught up field when we were attacking and losing the ball, not really a mistake but something that happens. Then, he could have taken Martial out maybe but why would he when MLM was in a much better position to do something that at least would have allowed Odoi to catch Martial. MLM unfortunately decided to do absolutely nothing and let Martial just run unchallenged past him. At least 95 % MLM in my opinion.

For the third I believe that not even an Odoi hater would say that it was his fault.

I don't think Odoi had a particular good game, but I don't think he was the one that let us down. I also don't envy the player having to spend most of the game one on one vs Martial without any cover what so ever. Martial would have made most defender look bad in that situation.

Baszab

I thought the Christie  substitution was correct

Problem is CR wanted 2 up front but we dont have anyone else as Vietto is a joke - could have done with AK in this game

Should have taken off Vietto and put Cairney on and pushed Babel upfront
Then when Babel was knackered bring on Kebano

RS looks strangely subdued all season really

Twig

Quote from: Statto on February 09, 2019, 04:34:23 PM
FWIW I was disappointed with the crowd reaction to Christie coming on. I moan an awful lot on here but I'll never boo a Fulham player. Christie is an average championship player out of his depth in the PL but that's not his fault and he seems a decent lad off the pitch. But to be clear I agree it was an effing woeful decision to bring him on.

To be fair Statto I don't think the booing was aimed at Christie. It was aimed at Ranieri and his decision to replace a winger with a full back and revert to five at the back at a time when we needed to chase the game. I am not condoning it but I don't think Christie should take it personally (Ranieri certainly should).

HV71

Quote from: Statto on February 09, 2019, 04:34:23 PM

+ 1

HV71

Bizarrely Claudio's comments after the game suggests that he thought the crowd were angry for him taking Schurlle off ! The man has obviously lost it - hasn't a clue what is going on