Main Menu

Mitro for £40m?

Started by Southcoastffc, March 16, 2019, 01:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

Quote from: filham on March 23, 2019, 09:32:02 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on March 17, 2019, 04:33:02 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 16, 2019, 01:44:19 PM
Interesting snippet in today's Times that if (!) we're relegated and Mitro decides to go we'd ask for £40m. He has 4 years left on his contract and  no release clause.  Also says that Seri, MleM and Schurrle have relegation  pay cuts built in  to their contracts and would want to  go.

All kinds of good in this post.

I love Mitro...but if you get 40 million for him you can bring in a quality replacement striker with a bit more pace.

People know how I feel about MLM, Seri and Schurrle.

All three can go and I wouldn't lose a second of sleep.   They'll need to be replaced...but I'd get younger up and coming players for all of them.

If we were to get £40m for Mitrovic we would never find a better striker than him but would settle for someone not up to the job.

Amen, promotion earns £170m which is more than £40m. If we want to sell Mitro, we need his replacement here for six months first.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on March 17, 2019, 08:25:00 PM
Quote from: Luka on March 17, 2019, 05:50:00 PM
Benitez was right, Mitro is not a PL striker.
He has some strengths but at this level the defenders are big, strong and mobile, something Mitro struggles with. He will play a tune for us again next season in the championship, but if someone wants  to offer £40m then we should bite thier hand off.

Couldn't disagree more.
Luckily for us he is off form at the moment so not putting himself in the shop window, which in any case must be difficult in such a crap team, but he remains a top, PL quality player IMO

In one sense Mitro is a non suited to the premier league. I think Mitro is one of best half dozen strikers outside the top six teams. But in one sense he doesn't fit well in the premier league anywhere. He is not good enough to a first choice at most of the top six, he seems like the kind of guy that will struggle on the bench, and he is not a great count attacker due to his pace so maybe not ideal for most relegation teams. I guess he would be good for non top six and non relegation counter attack team.

Where he is brilliant is in a congested penalty area with service, cross a great ball within half a metre of him and even if triple marked his dangerous. He is thus probably the best striker outside the top six starters to have in the championship if you have a team that is going to provide service.

The Rock

We were so close and the Khans blew it.

If Mitro goes, and he might not, we won't find a replacement for a decade.

Milo

Quote from: The Rock on March 24, 2019, 12:13:35 AM

This is very true!

The Rational Fan

The Khans haven't blown it, this time next year we could be where Norwich City is (expecting promotion). We have very good Championship players (eg Anguissa and Bryan), a few very saleable assets and poor teamwork with 4 months to fix. If we lost the playoff final and FFC had this team on the 26th May 2018, then i'd be very optimistic.

Our performance against Liverpool is better than i think Norwich could do right now. I think this team can get promoted next season and i think this team can with a little development and recruitment, we can average 1 point per game in the premier league in 18 months time.

The Rock

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 24, 2019, 02:52:53 AM

The Khans haven't blown it, this time next year we could be where Norwich City is (expecting promotion). We have very good Championship players (eg Anguissa and Bryan), a few very saleable assets and poor teamwork with 4 months to fix. If we lost the playoff final and FFC had this team on the 26th May 2018, then i'd be very optimistic.

Our performance against Liverpool is better than i think Norwich could do right now. I think this team can get promoted next season and i think this team can with a little development and recruitment, we can average 1 point per game in the premier league in 18 months time.

I was speaking of the past. The Khans have blown this opportunity of staying up. If Mitro leaves, history shows we have had great difficulty in finding a striker that good, and the Khans have a history of not being able to produce good decision making in player recruitment.

You are avoiding the facts. Not rational, but speculative no?

Twig

Quote from: The Rock on March 24, 2019, 11:21:08 AM

I was speaking of the past. The Khans have blown this opportunity of staying up. If Mitro leaves, history shows we have had great difficulty in finding a striker that good, and the Khans have a history of not being able to produce good decision making in player recruitment.

'Fraid I have to agree with you. There is no guarantee we will keep the nucleus of the side that Rational believe would do well in the Championship next year (who knows).  We could just as easily see several key players depart.  The fact is the Khans have blown it. If they were to get another chance then let's hope lessons have been learned.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Twig on March 24, 2019, 08:02:37 PM

'Fraid I have to agree with you. There is no guarantee we will keep the nucleus of the side that Rational believe would do well in the Championship next year (who knows).  We could just as easily see several key players depart.  The fact is the Khans have blown it. If they were to get another chance then let's hope lessons have been learned.

The Khan's haven't blown it, the "Summer Transfer Window of 2018" is only a disaster if any of those players leave before we get promoted.

If Seri or Anguissa leaves, it will be a "disaster on the profit and loss statement", which will cause a disaster on the football field.

If Mitro leaves, it will be a "on-field disaster" straight away, and any profit we make on the "profit and loss statement" will be wasted.

The Rock

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 25, 2019, 12:14:53 AM

The Khan's haven't blown it, the "Summer Transfer Window of 2018" is only a disaster if any of those players leave before we get promoted.

If Seri or Anguissa leaves, it will be a "disaster on the profit and loss statement", which will cause a disaster on the football field.

If Mitro leaves, it will be a "on-field disaster" straight away, and any profit we make on the "profit and loss statement" will be wasted.

The only thing I can partially agree with here is that if Mitro leaves it may be an "on-field disaster" if the Khan's repeat past mistakes and don't find a proper replacement. Doesn't change the facts.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: The Rock on March 26, 2019, 02:38:42 PM

The only thing I can partially agree with here is that if Mitro leaves it may be an "on-field disaster" if the Khan's repeat past mistakes and don't find a proper replacement. Doesn't change the facts.

So, i assume you don't agree that selling Anguiisa won't be a disaster on the profit and loss statement. Do you seriously think we sell him at a profit? If we sell him at a loss, what profitability players would you like to sell to balance the books?

If you sell Seri or Anguissa at a loss, then you need to balance the books by selling a highly profitable player like Betts, Cairney, Any Sessegnon and Mitro.

The Rock

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 26, 2019, 11:10:26 PM
Quote from: The Rock on March 26, 2019, 02:38:42 PM

So, i assume you don't agree that selling Anguiisa won't be a disaster on the profit and loss statement. Do you seriously think we sell him at a profit? If we sell him at a loss, what profitability players would you like to sell to balance the books?

If you sell Seri or Anguissa at a loss, then you need to balance the books by selling a highly profitable player like Betts, Cairney, Any Sessegnon and Mitro.

I'd agree PnL wise they would likely be a loss. But they are already a loss. The money is just gone, that's all. It's just Tony spending daddy's money. It is already a disaster.

We sell Anguissa for £5m, and buy another MF for the same price, it is well within FFP rules, and potentially on lower wages as well.

Fair play to say it depends on how you view it. On a mark to market basis, it's a loss anyway you cut it UNLESS the player starts to perform.

KJS

Quote from: Milo on March 24, 2019, 12:33:43 AM

Andy Carroll ?????

This is very true!