Main Menu

Summer Transfer Gossip.

Started by Mince n Tatties, April 28, 2019, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

Quote from: Statto on July 04, 2019, 10:34:30 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on July 04, 2019, 05:36:37 PM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 04, 2019, 04:45:19 PM
Can we stop with this myth that Tony Khan being in America means he is completely incapable of progressing deals at Fulham? It's quite boring at this point. Unless they haven't invented Phones and/or the Internet in Jacksonville. Plus, despite what some want to believe, he's not a one-man band. Unless Brian Talbot and our other people are associated with recruitment are told to cease functioning while Tony Khan's away.

Besides, I thought the whole criticism of Tony Khan was he does everything on a computer? So surely he doesn't need to be at Motspur Park to sign our Belgian 2nd Division players we've never heard of.

Lol, thank you for this. I work in video conferencing, it's as simple as joining a meeting through VOIP, dial in, or internet phones (H323/SIP).

I accept he can work remotely... but are you suggesting he's devoting 100% of his time to Fulham, and just choosing to do it from the US because he prefers the weather or food over there?

Clearly the reason he's in the US is that he's spending much of his time on things related to his wrestling business and the Jaguars.

So yes of course he can pick up the phone and speak to a player, agent, Mackintosh etc. But he only has one mouth. He can't speak to them if he's busy on a telecon with Giant Haystacks and Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

Guess he'll have an excuse when we buy our next $30 bust.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Chutney

Can we stop with this myth that Tony Khan being in America means he is completely incapable of progressing deals at Fulham? It's quite boring at this point. Unless they haven't invented Phones and/or the Internet in Jacksonville. Plus, despite what some want to believe, he's not a one-man band. Unless Brian Talbot and our other people are associated with recruitment are told to cease functioning while Tony Khan's away.

Besides, I thought the whole criticism of Tony Khan was he does everything on a computer? So surely he doesn't need to be at Motspur Park to sign our Belgian 2nd Division players we've never heard of.

Lol, thank you for this. I work in video conferencing, it's as simple as joining a meeting through VOIP, dial in, or internet phones (H323/SIP).

I accept he can work remotely... but are you suggesting he's devoting 100% of his time to Fulham, and just choosing to do it from the US because he prefers the weather or food over there?

Clearly the reason he's in the US is that he's spending much of his time on things related to his wrestling business and the Jaguars.

So yes of course he can pick up the phone and speak to a player, agent, Mackintosh etc. But he only has one mouth. He can't speak to them if he's busy on a telecon with Giant Haystacks and Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

This. People seem to forgot he has other priorities, so while yes, on paper it is possible for him to work remotely, it isn't possible for him to do so while he's physically working on something else.
C O Y W

Matt10

I am in no ways making any suggestion. That's the problem with this mentality as a whole. The power of suggestion. It starts a snowball effect, which leads to these types of thought process that our DoF doesn't care to put in the time and effort for our team.

I'm sure the NFL and AEW could probably care less if he's physically in the office or not. They just want things to get done I'm sure. So, I'm not sure why we're sitting here worried about where he is physically just because something hasn't been done. There are way too many elements that I'm not or anyone on this board, that is privy to what is being done behind the scenes.

This is why I stay in my lane and enjoy this time of the year. Hoping that something happens. I'll be frank, we were spoiled last season with those rapid-fire signings - but it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time.

wheelerdeeler

Is he thinking about Fulham 24/7? No. But equally, he's not going to not talk to let's just Jorge Mendes because he mentioned him last weekend because he's talking to Chris Jericho instead. Again, similar to what I think some peoples perception is of him as our DoF, he has a whole network of people around him for AEW as he does with Fulham.

Just a quick Google later;
Chris Harrington- Vice President of Business Strategy
Dana Massie- Chief Marketing Officer & Chief Merchandising Officer
Nik Sobic- Vice President of Business Operations
Brandon Cutler- Executive Content Producer
Christopher Daniels- Head of Talent Relations
Brandi Rhodes- Chief Brand Officer
Leva Bates- Brand Coordinator
Dean Malenko- Senior Producer
Michael Cuellari- Associate Producer & Coordinator
Rafael Morffi- Director of Live Events
Shawn Carr- Head of Ring Crew

There's more as well.

It comes down to do I believe that Tony Khan's involvement with AEW (or the Jaguars) is costing us signings/delaying them, and I simply don't. Frankly, we don't even need many- and we know that regardless of Tony Khan's involvement in other companies he always saves 1 or 2 signings for Deadline Day as he has done in previous years without the "distraction" of Chris Jericho and The Young Bucks so I'm pretty chilled out about it all at the moment.

Plus as Tony Khan stated on the Podcast, we're waiting for some sales before making any big financial commitments to signings- and those sorts of signings are really all we need to actually improve the team whether it be a Cavaleiro, Pontus Jansson etc. From what I can tell we're waiting for Leicester to buy Tielemans so we can sell Seri to Monaco and that should give us some room to manoeuvre for example. We're at the end of the chain of dominoes so to speak.

I thought most people would've been saving this whole "Tony Khan/AEW" line until January when it could actually be a problem considering they're going to be running a weekly TV show that he'll presumably be at as the booker of said shows rather than when they're still just doing one show a month.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: filham on July 04, 2019, 11:22:17 AM
Quote from: SP on July 03, 2019, 10:00:44 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 03, 2019, 09:59:26 PM
Radio now.....Palace want Seri.

I wonder what for?
I like Seri but we proved last season that there is not room for Seri and Cairney in the same team. It would be good to see Seri leave and another striker/wide right player (Gayle) come in quickly. We may then be able to bolt up the doors, concentrate on training, and say no more transfers confident of having a team to make a top six position by Christmas.

Seri could be a great loan or buy for Palace. Hodgson will produce the best out of him.

Statto

OK well I've certainly been put in my place.
It's fine that TK spends most of his time on other business ventures during the transfer window, because he has a team of people around him.
So just out of interest, in addition to showing me another club who's DoF had no experience of football prior to taking up the role, can someone show me another DoF who only works part-time?
Or are we the only English club privileged enough to have a totally inexperienced, part-timer in charge of transfers?

Statto

Quote from: Matt10 on July 04, 2019, 11:39:01 PM
I'm sure the NFL and AEW could probably care less if he's physically in the office or not.

Hmmm... I suspect they do care.
That's why he's there.
If they didn't care, surely he'd be here.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on July 05, 2019, 12:34:26 AM
It's fine that TK spends most of his time on other business ventures during the transfer window, because he has a team of people around him.
So just out of interest, in addition to showing me another club who's DoF had no experience of football prior to taking up the role, can someone show me another DoF who only works part-time?
Or are we the only English club privileged enough to have a totally inexperienced, part-timer in charge of transfers?

I'm more interested in knowing how Tony Khan spends his every waking hour, seeing as you're clearly privy to that information to suggest he spends most of his time away from Fulham stuff. Beyond your perception that he's putting us on the back burner, and that is all it is.

For all we know as the plebs that we are he's been in America for three days since the season ended. The two AEW shows and the day he did the Podcast with Steve Austin. And on those days that he was in America, I'm fairly certain it's Brian Talbot's role to be at Motspur Park continuing on the recruitment process.

Can I also suggest if we're looking for a DoF with footballing experience we look to get Mike Rigg back? He fits the bill after all given he's worked for half a dozen clubs. Never mind that he was the villain of the piece while he was here as well.

I think people are just using the AEW thing to dig into Tony Khan for a perceived lack of activity when he's following the exact same pattern of the last two summers when he didn't have the AEW "distraction" in regard to when we're making signings (i.e. later than we'd all like him to) and this summer we're arguably in the best shape we've been in squad wise since Tony Khan took control of transfers and don't need many signings compared to the last two seasons. Let's say Mitrovic is going to Portugal with us hypothetically we'd be bringing;
Bettinelli, Fabri, Rodak, Christie, Odoi, Mawson, Le Marchand, Bryan, McDonald, Cairney, Johansen, Kebano, Ayite, Fonte, AK47, Mitrovic and whatever kids we're bringing along as well like S. Sessegnon, O'Riley etc.

I keep seeing this thing about us lacking chemistry at the start of the season because of a lack of early signings when we could have a team playing against Barnsley of;
Bettinelli (or Fabri); Christie, Mawson, Le Marchand, Bryan; McDonald, Cairney, Johansen; AK47, Mitrovic, Ayite made out of players who will be in Portugal with us next week (again, assuming Mitrovic is going).

Tony Khan's said publicly that we're waiting for sales to go through before making any big financial commitments, and those are the only signings we really need. Whether it be 12m on Cavaleiro etc. so I'm waiting for the aforementioned dominoes to fall into place like;
Tielemans- Monaco > Leicester, Seri- Fulham > Monaco which will then give us money to work with.

Milo

Think we are diverging slightly from the thread topic..!

I know we are hardly swimming in transfer rumours but let's at least stick to thrashing out the few we do have!

wheelerdeeler

I saw Cyrus Christie was being linked with Sporting CP earlier. So that's the most random rumour we'll see this summer.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 05, 2019, 01:17:55 AM

I keep seeing this thing about us lacking chemistry at the start of the season because of a lack of early signings when we could have a team playing against Barnsley of; Bettinelli (or Fabri); Christie, Mawson, Le Marchand, Bryan; McDonald, Cairney, Johansen; AK47, Mitrovic, Ayite made out of players who will be in Portugal with us next week (again, assuming Mitrovic is going).

No matter how early you buy in the window, rarely there will be chemistry from the first game. The best way for a player to developing chemistry with the team is coming on from the bench over a few months and when the team is better with that player, then you trying starting with him to play 45-60 minutes. Based on last season, the player from the "summer transfer of 2018" that develop anything with the FFC that "resembled chemistry" quickest was Calum Chambers and it took him 14 weeks (from 7th August to the 11th November), and most other players took a lot longer (half took til March and the rest we are still counting).

For me, the mistake last season wasn't buying players on deadline day, the mistake was in the first game against Crystal Palace not playing the "front six from the playoff final". If the McDonald, Stefjo and Cairney trio were tried as a combination and had failed, then i think acceptance of new players would have been much better.

The first game this season against Barnsley, we should play a back five from last season and the front six from the playoff final (with Atiye at backup if someone leaves). I am huge fan of Anguissa, but I think it would be best for him to come off the bench until the Huddersfield and Cardiff games. Its a long season and the midfield trio of 17/18 can dispose of weaker teams early, plus it gives Anguissa a chance to ease himself into the Championship and play his first games against teams he knows.

Statto

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 05, 2019, 01:17:55 AM
Can I also suggest if we're looking for a DoF with footballing experience we look to get Mike Rigg back?

:plus one:

Finally something we agree on, the man that built our promotion-winning team on a shoestring and hired Jokanovic... Not sure why he'd leave his current PL club to join us in the Championship however

grandad

a lot of DoF´s have been spotted doing the weekly supermarket shopping, mowing lawns, washing cars, drinking coffee at Starbucks. Do none of them have their minds 100% on their job?  How dare they , should be at their desk 24/7.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Sting of the North

Quote from: grandad on July 05, 2019, 08:42:52 AM
a lot of DoF´s have been spotted doing the weekly supermarket shopping, mowing lawns, washing cars, drinking coffee at Starbucks. Do none of them have their minds 100% on their job?  How dare they , should be at their desk 24/7.

That is not really the same thing as having multiple jobs though, is it? Regardless of your position on TK, wouldn't it seemingly be better if FFC was his sole work priority?

Chutney

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 05, 2019, 09:15:08 AM
Quote from: grandad on July 05, 2019, 08:42:52 AM

That is not really the same thing as having multiple jobs though, is it? Regardless of your position on TK, wouldn't it seemingly be better if FFC was his sole work priority?

DOF is a full time job, unless you're the owners son at fulham fc.
C O Y W

ScalleysDad

Quote from: bobby01 on July 04, 2019, 09:46:59 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on July 04, 2019, 09:31:04 PM
Quote from: Nero on July 04, 2019, 07:42:23 PM
West Ham have agreed to sell Arnautovic to a Chinese club, dont know if they are calling his bluff but if he goes they might want Mitro

If he does go they will almost certainly upset the apparent Karma at Motspur as they will need a replacement match fit and ready to go. Will Mitro go, will the money be enough? I suspect this could become a thread all on its own.

Not trying to be funny, but I have never been convinced that mitro suits the way that pelligrini wants his team to play. I personally believe he wants a mobile front line and for all his good points that is not micro.

You may be right of course but what Pellegrini has that we don't is options. He has pace on the wings, he has players who can find that killer pass and a defensive system that does not usually require the No.9 to defend corners. He may want another option by way of a target man, he has lost Carrol as well, and Mitro, on fire, is easily the best option at the moment for relatively little money and is right on the doorstep.

KJS

You seem to have forgotten that TK was part of the team who put a side together that got us promoted still I'd expect nothing else from you as your always wearing blinkers when it comes to Anything good the Khans do for the club.

FFC1987

Does anyone know if TK is in the office today or should we expect no signings again?

Twig

Quote from: KJS on July 05, 2019, 09:56:20 AM

You seem to have forgotten that TK was part of the team who put a side together that got us promoted still I'd expect nothing else from you as your always wearing blinkers when it comes to Anything good the Khans do for the club.

Careful with that line; 2 relegations, 1 promotion. Now that leaves a net negative by my simple arithmetic.

junior white

Quote from: Twig on July 05, 2019, 10:06:30 AM
Quote from: KJS on July 05, 2019, 09:56:20 AM

Careful with that line; 2 relegations, 1 promotion. Now that leaves a net negative by my simple arithmetic.
I didn't think TK was involved till after we were relegated