watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Summer Transfer Gossip.

Started by Mince n Tatties, April 28, 2019, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twang

As others have said, Nkoudou would have been interesting before we signed Cavaleiro and Knockaert, but not any more. Unless two of Ayite, Kebano and AK leaves of course, but can't see that happening.

Onomah has been on loan to Championship clubs before without impressing too much. As we have Cairney as a nailed on starter in his role, I'd much rather put trust in de la Torre/O'Riley/Francois/Harris as backup options.

SuffolkWhite

Be happy with another striker and CB and that would be it for me. Dont want too many additions remember last year.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Skatzoffc

I believe it's still only 2 loan players in PL at any one time.

This is how we got caught out last season. We lost 7 1st team players who were on loan and had to start the season with a whole new team.

If we are looking to promotion, we should limit loans to non starting team members imo.

COYW!

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Bracken White

The two players cited obviously played for Scott Parker & Matt Wells at Tottenham - Onomah is an England youth & U21 International but surplus to requirements & I understand that he plays in the Sessegnon role. N'Koudou? Another winger and not really required but appears that SP is having a say in transfers inwards, which in itself is encouranging.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

FFC1987

Quote from: Skatzoffc on July 22, 2019, 01:09:26 PM

This is how we got caught out last season. We lost 7 1st team players who were on loan and had to start the season with a whole new team.

If we are looking to promotion, we should limit loans to non starting team members imo.

COYW!

In simple terms, you don't get the quality of Cavaleiro and Knockaert without them though. I think as long as both have reasonable buy clauses at end of loan spell, it's not only fine, but essential for teams wanting to get promoted.

N_O_W_S

COYW!

Both of these loans have options to buy, so I view them more as permenant signings unless they dont perform as expected and then we havent spent a transfer fee on them so no big loss.

twang

COYW!

The (huge) difference this time though is that both Cavaleiro and Knockaert have been brought in on loans with permanent option (at £12m and £10m respectively if the rumours are to be believed). So if we get promoted and want to keep them, both will be with us when pre season starts.

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 22, 2019, 01:23:53 PM

COYW!

In simple terms, you don't get the quality of Cavaleiro and Knockaert without them though. I think as long as both have reasonable buy clauses at end of loan spell, it's not only fine, but essential for teams wanting to get promoted.

Loan with an option to buy is the best of both worlds IMO.

Try before you buy... keep them if you want to

Even better than a permanent signing

The only downside is that, I suspect, we've had to pay significant loan fees, and/or we'd perhaps have got them slightly cheaper than the option exercise price had we bought them outright now

Tabby

Don't think we could take the FFP hit of buying them outright. The loan with option would push most of the fee to next season, as well as not having to give any sign on bonuses at the moment.

fulhamben

I'm not hearing any talk of left back cover. Surely this is our weakest position as we only have Bryan and er Bryan.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: fulhamben on July 22, 2019, 01:46:16 PM
I'm not hearing any talk of left back cover. Surely this is our weakest position as we only have Bryan and er Bryan.

Le Marchand can easily slot in if needs be. Edun too has experience at LB.

Ruleszz

Quote from: twang on July 22, 2019, 12:42:20 PM
As others have said, Nkoudou would have been interesting before we signed Cavaleiro and Knockaert, but not any more. Unless two of Ayite, Kebano and AK leaves of course, but can't see that happening.

Onomah has been on loan to Championship clubs before without impressing too much. As we have Cairney as a nailed on starter in his role, I'd much rather put trust in de la Torre/O'Riley/Francois/Harris as backup options.
ak better not go anywhere, rather him than nkoudou, ak been brilliant pre season

Jimmy Hill

I always think you should give youth a chance at the start of a season to be cover. You always have ream and MLM odoi that can play there. Then if they are not cutting it get someone in Jan. There is alaways getting and experienced pro on a free if we were really desperate too. I think that having too big a squad causes more problems than its worth plus you can spend the money on mitros wages.

Statto

Quote from: Jimmy Hill on July 22, 2019, 02:02:36 PM

I always think you should give youth a chance at the start of a season to be cover. You always have ream and MLM odoi that can play there. Then if they are not cutting it get someone in Jan. There is alaways getting and experienced pro on a free if we were really desperate too. I think that having too big a squad causes more problems than its worth plus you can spend the money on mitros wages.

Odoi can play there too. He was primarily a left back when we bought him.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on July 22, 2019, 02:09:25 PM

to be fair , you could say every position is adequately covered though if we are going to invludebplayers who could do a job if required
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Tabby

I think "able to do a job" is sufficient for backup options. We have MLM, Odoi, S.Sess and Ream (in that order imo) all able to play at LB should Bryan get injured.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Tabby on July 22, 2019, 02:29:23 PM
I think "able to do a job" is sufficient for backup options. We have MLM, Odoi, S.Sess and Ream (in that order imo) all able to play at LB should Bryan get injured.

Personally I dont. The 'able to do a job' mindset is how you end up with players such as Sakari Mattila. You need to sign players to challenge for starting positions - then McD, Ayite, Christie etc become the backup options...

Statto

Quote from: fulhamben on July 22, 2019, 02:12:49 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 22, 2019, 02:09:25 PM

to be fair , you could say every position is adequately covered though if we are going to invludebplayers who could do a job if required

Well Odoi has played more games in his career at LB than anywhere else, according to transfermarkt. So he's basically an LB who also does a job for us at CB and RB when required

FFC1987

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on July 22, 2019, 02:41:44 PM

Personally I dont. The 'able to do a job' mindset is how you end up with players such as Sakari Mattila. You need to sign players to challenge for starting positions - then McD, Ayite, Christie etc become the backup options...

or they leave and you're in a similar scenario.......

Tabby

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on July 22, 2019, 02:41:44 PM

We aren't signing players that "are able to do a job". We already have them. Do you think we'll be able to get a LB that is better than Joe Bryan at our level? Fulhamben wants someone to act as cover, not to replace Bryan.