watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

TC Signs new deal

Started by junior white, May 03, 2019, 03:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camel Club

Given that even lengthy contracts appear to be fairly meaningless these days, the fact that Tom has committed to a further year at this point is hugely encouraging. Always the optimist I hope that this is a statement of intent not just from Tom but from the club. Lets face it; if we are to stand any chance of getting straight back to the PL players like Tom are going to be essential. I don't know if we'll be able to hold on to Mitro and Sess but contract extensions for the likes of Stef Jo would in my opinion be good news.

Mitch

He had a contract until 2023 anyway.

This gives him one extra year, at a point in his career when we all would expect him to not be at his peak.

So it begs the question, why have we done this? What is Fulham's benefit to giving a contracted player an additional year, which would be at the age of 34.

It won't be Tom on less money, will it? Could it be less, but over a long period? If so, any benefit to that for Fulham?

Mitch

Quote from: fulhamben on May 03, 2019, 03:43:21 PM
Quote from: ex-Pat on May 03, 2019, 03:24:02 PM
Good Championship player, not Premier quality,  need two feet for that..
two 5gings, Beckham was the most one footed player I've ever seen, and he did ok, and secondly we aren't a prem team

Ben, Beckham played for Real Madrid, Manchester United and AC Milan in his time. A bit of an unfair comparison  :005:!

Steven Ageroad

He likes SP, so do you think that a little bird has told him that SP has a very good chance of becoming the manager next season and therefore he wants to stay?!

Milo

Great news! So important to nail down the captain first... and allow him to be the flag bearer with Parker as a united front to keeping the rest.

Good work by TK.

ALG01

Brilliant news, love him and that makes me happy
Timing suggests season tickets prices are iminent.

Statto

Quote from: Mitch on May 03, 2019, 04:48:48 PM
So it begs the question, why have we done this? What is Fulham's benefit to giving a contracted player an additional year, which would be at the age of 34.

It won't be Tom on less money, will it? Could it be less, but over a long period? If so, any benefit to that for Fulham?

The obvious benefit would be Tom Cairney playing for us next season.

Yes he was on a long contract but at the end of the day, if he was desperate to leave and instructed his agent to seek out offers from better clubs, then although we could prevent him from leaving, we can't force him to give 100% on the pitch whilst he's here.

We probably gave him a small pay raise and promised to keep him as captain, etc, and in turn he's promised to stay and fight for our cause in the Championship.

Seems like a reasonable quid pro quo to me. 

bog

One player showing some loyalty.  :54:

092.gif

YankeeJim

Don't most contracts carry a relegation pay cut? Perhaps, in order to keep him, the club dropped the pay cut clause in exchange for another year. The club entices him to stay and he isn't hurt by it. Win. Win

Some might call that ambition.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Mitch

Quote from: Statto on May 03, 2019, 05:15:13 PM
Quote from: Mitch on May 03, 2019, 04:48:48 PM

The obvious benefit would be Tom Cairney playing for us next season.

Yes he was on a long contract but at the end of the day, if he was desperate to leave and instructed his agent to seek out offers from better clubs, then although we could prevent him from leaving, we can't force him to give 100% on the pitch whilst he's here.

We probably gave him a small pay raise and promised to keep him as captain, etc, and in turn he's promised to stay and fight for our cause in the Championship.

Seems like a reasonable quid pro quo to me. 

Maybe I'm old fashioned. He was contracted to Fulham until 2023.

Mitch

Quote from: bog on May 03, 2019, 05:15:27 PM
One player showing some loyalty.  :54:

092.gif

If he gets a new contract because he wanted away for more money... because of the relegation he was part of, is it loyalty? Devils advocate?

Twig

Totally uncalled for in my view.

Friendsoffulham

Fulham captain Tom Cairney signs new five-year deal which sees relegation wage drop clause removed

Fulham captain Tom Cairney has signed a new five-year contract with the club

Cairney's new contract sees his relegation wage drop clause removed

There is also an option to extend Cairney's stay at Fulham by a further year

By ADRIAN KAJUMBA FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 17:19, 3 May 2019 | UPDATED: 17:21, 3 May 2019

Tom Cairney has signed a new five-year deal at Fulham - and had his relegation wage drop clause removed.

Captain Cairney was due to see his salary slashed by around 30 per cent after Fulham's fall into the Championship.

But his new contract, signed on Friday and which runs until the summer of 2024, no longer features the pay cut and will see him remain on £60,000-per-week.

Fulham captain Tom Cairney signs a new five-year deal as vice-chairman Tony Khan looks on

There is also an option to extend Cairney's stay at Craven Cottage by a further year.

His previous contract was signed last July, not long after he led Fulham back into the Premier League, scoring their play-off final winner against Aston Villa, and due to run until 2023.

Midfielder Cairney's new agreement underlines caretaker Scott Parker's claims since Fulham's relegation was confirmed that their owners 'will do everything in their power to keep as many players as they can and keep the squad as strong as they possibly can.'

Cairney's new contract sees his relegation wage cut clause removed

Cairney said: 'The club's been amazing to me, and to extend my contract again is an amazing feeling. I want to stay for a long time, and hopefully finish my career here.

'This place feels like home. I don't think you can put a price on happiness, and your life off the pitch as well, and I can't see myself anywhere else.

'I feel like I've got unfinished business. I want to stay here and I want to get the club back to the Premier League.

'I want to bounce straight back next season. I know how hard the Championship is, but knowing our owners and how ambitious the club is, I'm sure we'll give it a good go.'

Influential Cairney has made 161 appearances for Fulham since joining from Blackburn in 2015, scoring 28 times and recording 24 assists.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6989857/Fulham-captain-Tom-Cairney-signs-new-five-year-deal-sees-relegation-wage-drop-clause-removed.html

Fulham Tup North

I must say, very pleased with this😁 Now get Mitro & Babel please 👍👍😍😁
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Buffalo76

Sorry but no chance with Babel. Brilliant news about TC though   049:gif

Mitch

Quote from: Buffalo76 on May 03, 2019, 05:37:55 PM
Sorry but no chance with Babel. Brilliant news about TC though   049:gif

Feel the same re Babel. Proved my initial thoughts very wrong - he's come in and done everything (and more) that the team would have wanted him to. Expect him to sign for Gala or Fenerbache for a final big £££ contract.

St Eve

Now the real miracle is keeping Sess and Mitro

@jolslover

STH H3

itombomb

He probably had a big relegation wage cut,
Quote from: Dougie on May 03, 2019, 04:03:59 PM
This is a weird one, given he only signed a long-term deal last Summer. We had him to 2023 + an option for a further year.

Lots of possibilities - maybe there was a relegation minimum release fee clause in his contract, or maybe he wanted one put in (and has taken a wage drop?).

Or maybe he didn't like the idea of his wages being halved in the Championship, and he or his agent has pulled some strings or kicked up a stink.

Or (*tinfoil hat comes on*) maybe this is a way to pay a fee, lawfully, to Cairney's agent, who is Sessegnon's agent, and who may be engineering something with respect to the latter.

Either way, I don't see how there is any obvious material benefit to the club from doing this deal, and I don't understand the gormless celebrations on Twitter.
Even if there was a big relegation wage cut, he could have done loads to start angling for a move as he's shown when fit he's well good enough for this level. It's a fairly big commitment to the club.

My guess is there is a restructuring where the wage cut isn't as bad, there is some additional bonuses if we get promoted next year, and there is probably some minimum release clause.

fulhamben

Quote from: Mitch on May 03, 2019, 04:49:59 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on May 03, 2019, 03:43:21 PM
two 5gings, Beckham was the most one footed player I've ever seen, and he did ok, and secondly we aren't a prem team

Ben, Beckham played for Real Madrid, Manchester United and AC Milan in his time. A bit of an unfair comparison  :005:!
unfair comparison? I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is to state that one footed players can't make it in the prem.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.