watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

TC Signs new deal

Started by junior white, May 03, 2019, 03:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e4b

Great news i for one am really happy about this,despite some trying to put a downer on the news.

WindyCity

Quote from: ex-Pat on May 03, 2019, 03:24:02 PM
Good Championship player, not Premier quality,  need two feet for that..

Not sure how to feel about this, although as pointed out this is just a minor extension to a contract which has TC at FFC over the next several years anyway.  I like TC, but, quite frankly, I'm not so sure he has the talent or is the type of player this club should be extending or relying upon when FFC returns back to the PL.  I was not impressed with his overall contributions this year.

colinwhite

Well done Fulham . Well done TK !

Mitch

Quote from: fulhamben on May 03, 2019, 06:32:09 PM
Quote from: Mitch on May 03, 2019, 04:49:59 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on May 03, 2019, 03:43:21 PM
two 5gings, Beckham was the most one footed player I've ever seen, and he did ok, and secondly we aren't a prem team

Ben, Beckham played for Real Madrid, Manchester United and AC Milan in his time. A bit of an unfair comparison  :005:!
unfair comparison? I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is to state that one footed players can't make it in the prem.

He wasn't one footed. A bad example. I agree with the OP - it's a minor point however.

Milo

I think bigger picture here. Nailing down the Captain is showing the rest of the team we are a stable ship they shouldn't abandon.

hovewhite

Credit to TK on this news and really happy that TC wants to play for us for the rest of his career.

bucksfulham

Quote from: hovewhite on May 03, 2019, 08:37:23 PM
Credit to TK on this news and really happy that TC wants to play for us for the rest of his career.
For £60k a week why wouldn't he!

The Cravenette

Quote from: bucksfulham on May 03, 2019, 08:41:42 PM
Quote from: hovewhite on May 03, 2019, 08:37:23 PM
For £60k a week why wouldn't he!
No doubt he could get those same big bucks for a premier league club. Leta enjoy this good news!

grandad

Great news, BUT, didn´t both Saha & EVDS both sign new long contracts before their big money transfers.
Where there's a will there's a wife

hovewhite

Quote from: grandad on May 03, 2019, 08:52:10 PM
Great news, BUT, didn´t both Saha & EVDS both sign new long contracts before their big money transfers.
your right grandad it makes him more expensive to any sutor.

Tabby

Quote from: grandad on May 03, 2019, 08:52:10 PM

Ferguson's United team isn't exactly comparable to West Ham and Newcastle, who have been the main suitors so far.

None of the top 6 will come knocking for Cairney. Just need to fend off mid to lower table teams.

Dougie

Quote from: itombomb on May 03, 2019, 06:08:52 PM
Even if there was a big relegation wage cut, he could have done loads to start angling for a move as he's shown when fit he's well good enough for this level. It's a fairly big commitment to the club.

My guess is there is a restructuring where the wage cut isn't as bad, there is some additional bonuses if we get promoted next year, and there is probably some minimum release clause.

A "big commitment to the club" would be showing a willingness to honour the contract he himself agreed to not even a year ago. At £40k a week he would still be one of the best-paid players in the division.

If he wanted to angle for a move we were under no pressure to sell him below our valuation of him.

Fulham76

Quote from: e4b on May 03, 2019, 06:55:41 PM
Great news i for one am really happy about this,despite some trying to put a downer on the news.

+1

Riversider

Cairney on a long contract is fine provided we never get promoted !

Mitch

Quote from: Dougie on May 03, 2019, 09:00:50 PM
Quote from: itombomb on May 03, 2019, 06:08:52 PM
Even if there was a big relegation wage cut, he could have done loads to start angling for a move as he's shown when fit he's well good enough for this level. It's a fairly big commitment to the club.

My guess is there is a restructuring where the wage cut isn't as bad, there is some additional bonuses if we get promoted next year, and there is probably some minimum release clause.

A "big commitment to the club" would be showing a willingness to honour the contract he himself agreed to not even a year ago. At £40k a week he would still be one of the best-paid players in the division.

If he wanted to angle for a move we were under no pressure to sell him below our valuation of him.
Spot on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Mitch on May 03, 2019, 04:48:48 PM
He had a contract until 2023 anyway.

This gives him one extra year, at a point in his career when we all would expect him to not be at his peak.

So it begs the question, why have we done this? What is Fulham's benefit to giving a contracted player an additional year, which would be at the age of 34.

It won't be Tom on less money, will it? Could it be less, but over a long period? If so, any benefit to that for Fulham?

Assuming his former contract had a relegation clause, this is likely Tom on more money (than he would have been contractually entitled to post-relegation). Nice move by the club. If we drop to League 1 like half this board thinks we will, he'll be incredible into his early 30s :)

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Riversider on May 03, 2019, 09:23:24 PM
Cairney on a long contract is fine provided we never get promoted !
:doh:
:dead horse:

Mitch

Genuine question - I wonder if there's a wage increase clause related to promotion now. Seems they're happy to pay him Premier League money in the Championship, going back on their previous intentions with the relegation clause. If we go up, I wonder what will happen?

Appreciate that's a champagne problem, but just occurred to me.

The Rational Fan

I think Tom Cairney only has four seasons left as premier league player, and maybe six left seasons as a championship player. I would have thought the four plus one years left on his existing contract was enough, why not wait two years before deciding to extend again. I think it's a mistake for FFC to extend when he is already on a long contract well into his 30s and has injuries.

Mitch

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 03, 2019, 10:08:36 PM

I think Tom Cairney only has four seasons left as premier league player, and maybe six left seasons as a championship player. I would have thought the four plus one years left on his existing contract was enough, why not wait two years before deciding to extend again.

It is odd timing considering what you've said. Definitely agent at play here, don't you think? Which makes the whole 'love the club' sort of stuff stick in my throat a bit.