watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

D Day Veterans

Started by bog, June 05, 2019, 07:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

The one time I can never keep it together is seeing a war veteran talking, usually reluctantly, about their involvement in the wars. Today one is to make a parachute jump just as he did 75 years ago aged 20. Very humbling. One of the few things that makes me proud to be British are the endevours of the 'ordinary' men and women who stepped forward to 'do their duty' and fight for freedom in both World wars.     

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Well said Bog & I fully agree
Their sacrifice leaves us free to live life as we choose today

Twig

I agree and nicely put sir.

snarks

I agree.

Although and I am possibly going to be slammed for this, when the last of them has gone, we have to stop going on about it (WW2). We have to move on as a country and as a world. The only thing we should celebrate then is the 100th anniversary of the end.

Fernhurst

P
Quote from: bog on June 05, 2019, 07:58:19 AM
The one time I can never keep it together is seeing a war veteran talking, usually reluctantly, about their involvement in the wars. Today one is to make a parachute jump just as he did 75 years ago aged 20. Very humbling. One of the few things that makes me proud to be British are the endevours of the 'ordinary' men and women who stepped forward to 'do their duty' and fight for freedom in both World wars.     

Could not agree more Captain.
True legends....... Don't ever abuse free speech guys. These veterans fought and sacrificed for every present day freedom.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: snarks on June 05, 2019, 08:24:14 AM
I agree.

Although and I am possibly going to be slammed for this, when the last of them has gone, we have to stop going on about it (WW2). We have to move on as a country and as a world. The only thing we should celebrate then is the 100th anniversary of the end.

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. .

KJS

I agree.

You are entitled to you views on this only because of those brave men and women that laid their lives down for their country in order for us to have the freedom we experience today so sorry but I have to disagree and will remember them every year as a mark of respect to them all but especially my relatives some of whom survived and some that perished whom served with honor and pride as I did during the Falklands conflict and Gulf campaign.

filham

I agree.

I too am against celebrating war but these people did their duty and deserve our thanks and memory, where would we be today if they had not sacrificed so much for us.

Oakeshott

"Although and I am possibly going to be slammed for this, when the last of them has gone, we have to stop going on about it (WW2). We have to move on as a country and as a world. The only thing we should celebrate then is the 100th anniversary of the end."

The primarily British, Commonwealth and US success in WW2 is unarguably the most important event in modern history. Without it, like as not we and much of the rest of Europe would be living like the Russians, in a dictatorship with very little freedom and a dire economy, or at best like the ex Russian ruled countries like Poland, with all too recent memories of the oppression of dictatorship and decades behind western europe in terms of standards of living.

There will never be a time when it will not be appropriate to remember the sacrifices made by so many of our forebears, the skill and determination of the Allied wartime leadership most notably Churchill, and debt we owe to our fellow Commonwealth countries and the US. 

Peabody

Well said Bog.

Though I was born in 1939, I remember very little about the war, though I do have vague memories of being bombed out in Chancellors Road and being told by my Mum that an on leave Sailor finding us in all the rubble, so, I never knew or ever saw our rescuer but I will always be grateful to those veterans both past and present.

KJS

Quote from: Peabody on June 05, 2019, 11:39:23 AM
Well said Bog.

Though I was born in 1939, I remember very little about the war, though I do have vague memories of being bombed out in Chancellors Road and being told by my Mum that an on leave Sailor finding us in all the rubble, so, I never knew or ever saw our rescuer but I will always be grateful to those veterans both past and present.

:54:

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I was born in Kensington on 2 September 1940 the significance of that being that it was just when the German blitz of London began. There were no shelters for the mums in the wards and tv programmes since have proved my mums story that during the bombing they all had to shelter with their babies under their beds. The unlucky ones did not survive.
Nothing to do with DDay but while people are around who were there on the day it will not be forgotten

Ronnief

My Dad went over on the D day landings and was lucky to survive. If he hadn't I wouldn't be here.
He told me of the horrific time when he got off a landing craft chest high in water with bodies floating around him.
He was lucky and went on to get a medal for valiant conduct and I still have a letter to him signed by Montgomerie.
He and his colleagues were brave beyond belief and I hope nothing like that ever occurs again.
We should always remember the effort of those brave service men who fought for us.

Fernhurst

All over now......... Emotionally quite draining, terrific programme

On a lighter note, I remember playing football for my youth club in front of that cenotaph. After 10 mins we were 5 nil up against Pompey.
Spent the rest of the match running around catching huge snowflakes in mouth.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Peabody

Further to my earlier comments, I seem to remember the absolute confidence of the adult population who seemed to be confident that we (the allies) were not going to lose this war. So as well as the veterans, a big thank you to the civilians.

HobGoblin

I and my family will always remember the sacrifice our brave service personal have given. In whatever role and conflict.

Woolly Mammoth

These men and women made the ultimate sacrifice so that that the rest of us have the opportunity to live our lives, and so those brave men and women should never be forgotten by anyone, even the people who think they can draw a line under it, think again, and remember in the future not to not allow ruthless extreme leftist politicians to pander to globalism.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

We should always remember all those brave and selfless men and women who gave their lives for our freedom.
But we would also do well to remember the causes of this and many other conflicts; petty nationalism, bigotry, persecution, ruthless politicians pandering to populism etc. If we want to avoid future repeats we need to resist the urge to follow such doctrines again.

Andy S

We hear a lot about today's soldiers and how they were affected and how they struggle to sleep. Some of those Men came back from over seas with no therapy. They were left to cope alone and some couldn't we learned a lot from them and we owe them big time

bog

Quote from: Andy S on June 05, 2019, 04:39:14 PM
We hear a lot about today's soldiers and how they were affected and how they struggle to sleep. Some of those Men came back from over seas with no therapy. They were left to cope alone and some couldn't we learned a lot from them and we owe them big time

When I was young I can recall seeing a man behaving 'oddly' in the 50's in the street. Apparently he was suffering shell shock and left to get on with it.  Scandalous.