Pod interview with Tony Khan

Started by Jonnoj, June 24, 2019, 08:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 25, 2019, 03:40:31 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on June 25, 2019, 01:04:09 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 25, 2019, 02:12:13 AM
Quote from: ALG01 on June 24, 2019, 11:54:51 PM

Mr Khan jnr would not get a job at any other top professional club and even if by some miracle he did, he would have been thrown out ages ago.

Yes he would get a job at another club, as Tony Khan is working for free, its pretty easy to get a job at zero wages and most non-profit jobs get a fancy title like "Director of Football". I also think many other Championship Clubs would let him buy players as he was probably the only person able to source money for new players. Many clubs in Championship failed to source money last season, with only ten championship clubs having net transfer budgets over £4m (with only six of the ten over £10m) and nine clubs even had negative transfer budgets.

I have no doubt a DOF that works for free, that can source £10m+ every season would get a job at most Championship Clubs. Other clubs are surely jealous.

With no disrespect intend at all... I do not begin to understand what you are saying. I would do the job for nothing and nobody would employ me either. He has no talent or experience, all he has is his dad's money and lineage. Did I really have to say in words of one syllable, imagine TK had never done the job before, and did not have access to his dad's funds, I thought that was self evidently implied.

The ability to source money is down to hios dad not down to his ability which he has spectacularly not shown any of.

I believe Tony Khan has the ability to source money from Fulham's owner better than other DoF. The ability to source money is Best Prediictor of DoF success. Even if Shahid Khan wasn't the owner, I have little doubt about Tony Khan's ability to source money probable from his family.

I continue to be confounded by your words which make no sense in response to my comment. I have said without his dad's money, nobody would emplioy him in football...and you have said they would employ him because he has access to his dad's money.
I am talking about his ability not his parentage.
You are trying to make a point that does not address  anything I have said.

So let me try a question. assume TK's dad was broke, i.e. has no vast cash reserve... would TK be a good DoF based on his track record?   Can you answer that OR,  A young man walks into a top football club with no previous experience at all and barely any knowledge of football management, would you give him an interview let alone a job as DoF?....
and IMO the answer is no he would not be given an interview let alone the job and as a consequence we have a very nice young man that is a serial failure at the job. I heard the podcast and he is very nice, very committed, speak brilliantly and is a state of denial. He is not accepting his own many shortcomings and I was rather he was relieved of his duties.

He did confirm that he a totally inexperienced man and Slava a top manager had a diffrence of view on how things should be done and we got left with the inexcperienced end of the bargain.

He is basing next season on the team from two seasons ago BUThas forgotten we do not have the same manager and the manager was fundamental to the style and tunnel vision. That team was also built upon way too many loanees and Kmac and stefJo are likely to be a little less committed to the cause and as far as setri or anguissa are concerned I wouldn't like to bet my life on their value. withouit his dad TK would never get a job ianywhere in football management.

toshes mate

Quote from: Riversider on June 26, 2019, 10:48:11 AM
Interestingly Ryan Sessegnon doesn't get a mention throughout,  not even a "we would love him to stay and sign a new contract" type of line,
Tough going listening at times, and maybe should have ended half an hour earlier.
I duly noticed that he wasn't even asked a direct question about RS, although Mitro, Johansen and Kamara got the full works.  None of the questioning was in the least bit provocative, with serious attempts to follow up.  Just like a bunch of mates not interested in upsetting each other.   What did I expect, I know, but you live in hope as the saying goes?

ALG01

Quote from: toshes mate on June 26, 2019, 12:46:58 PM
Interestingly Ryan Sessegnon doesn't get a mention throughout,  not even a "we would love him to stay and sign a new contract" type of line,
Tough going listening at times, and maybe should have ended half an hour earlier.
I duly noticed that he wasn't even asked a direct question about RS, although Mitro, Johansen and Kamara got the full works.  None of the questioning was in the least bit provocative, with serious attempts to follow up.  Just like a bunch of mates not interested in upsetting each other.   What did I expect, I know, but you live in hope as the saying goes?

Even I think it fair enough to let him speak for himself.
You can draw your conclusions based on what he said.
Personally I heard a nice young man, very committed, in total denial, clearly using the wrong approach but justifying his myriad of failures very well and not accepting he is our problem.
He needs to be removed from his duties for the common good. If his name was not Khan he would have been long gone.

Southcoastffc

It's quite conceivable that the interview was agreed provided that certain questions were not raised, Sess being an obvious one if my supposition is correct.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

toshes mate

Quote from: Southcoastffc on June 26, 2019, 12:56:57 PM
It's quite conceivable that the interview was agreed provided that certain questions were not raised, Sess being an obvious one if my supposition is correct.
Which kind of negates the intended purpose of the interview, so the hype suggests - to get to know the 'real' TK.  For sure there are no go areas in all forms of media, but there are ways of 'implying things' via what is not even asked or openly stated.  Does TK not know that and should he have had 'a prepared answer' to assuage any misconceptions, or chosen not to was lyrical about his triumphs so as not to invite misconceptions?   He is communicating to an audience that would love to know more about him and what makes him tick.  He has missed a golden opportunity in my opinion.   

ALG01

Look, I heard the whole thing and but for his surname the man would be gone.
He didn't explain rico and fabri? If his stats based points based approach was any good those guys wouldn't have even been considered
Mawsom, signed injured and remained injured
Bryan, immediately injured suggesting he was signed injured
seri and anguissa, less said about that total waste of money
schurrle? a very poor addition, skillful but know for not beeing a proper team player
Christie was already sub standard and we did not get a proper right back

All of that was enough to get him the sack anywhere else. He was the reason we went down, him alone, it was obvious in August and certain in september that his incompetence sabotaged and took the pleasure out of last season. We never slightly looked like we would make a fight of it. A more enlightened and experienced transfer policy at half the price would have seen us survive. The bloke spent an hour in such a terrible state of denial, with clearly no idea about what to do for success this season. I remain in a stste of heightened pessimism for the season. i do not think we will be anywhere in contention for anything except a bottom half finish, most likely bottom six or eight. He gives me zero confidence.

Nero

But think it obvious he would love Ryan to stay but we all know he wants to move on to a top 6 club and if he says something that could be twisted by an agent push a move for a lower fee or no offer comes in and Ryan stays could put him in a bad light when what could happen is signs a new contract says he wants to get Fulham back up and looks a hero

Southcoastffc

Quote from: toshes mate on June 26, 2019, 01:05:08 PM
Which kind of negates the intended purpose of the interview, so the hype suggests - to get to know the 'real' TK.  For sure there are no go areas in all forms of media, but there are ways of 'implying things' via what is not even asked or openly stated.  Does TK not know that and should he have had 'a prepared answer' to assuage any misconceptions, or chosen not to was lyrical about his triumphs so as not to invite misconceptions?   He is communicating to an audience that would love to know more about him and what makes him tick.  He has missed a golden opportunity in my opinion.   
Ah, there's the rub.  Hype is best well-recognised as such.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

wormbridge

I thought it was a good interview but I realise in being reasonably pro TK I am an apologist and worse. 

Sting of the North

Quote from: ALG01 on June 26, 2019, 01:11:41 PM
He didn't explain rico and fabri? If his stats based points based approach was any good those guys wouldn't have even been considered
schurrle? a very poor addition, skillful but know for not beeing a proper team player

All of that was enough to get him the sack anywhere else. He was the reason we went down, him alone, it was obvious in August and certain in september that his incompetence sabotaged and took the pleasure out of last season. We never slightly looked like we would make a fight of it. A more enlightened and experienced transfer policy at half the price would have seen us survive. The bloke spent an hour in such a terrible state of denial, with clearly no idea about what to do for success this season. I remain in a stste of heightened pessimism for the season. i do not think we will be anywhere in contention for anything except a bottom half finish, most likely bottom six or eight. He gives me zero confidence.

Not really the point here, but I thought Rico looked ok. Don't know how anyone can reallt judge Fabri one way or another. The question is of course why both? Further, he did address the right back position with TFM, who should have been good enough for a bottom half PL team. Also, Mawson didn't remain injured as far as we know, but got injured again. Think that Seri would have been decent in a better team, but didn't really seem up for the fight. Anguissa looked pretty good once he got a proper chance to get used to the team. Just to temper the hyperbole a little bit. I don't think TK had such a bad window as some try to make it out. He didn't have a very good one either unfortunately, which we would have needed.

And of course he was not the sole reason. Many players massively under performed. All managers (well maybe not SP given the circumstances), but both Slav and Ranieri did almost nothing right. I agree that TK (or maybe really SK) should bear the most blame, but it takes many people to make such a bad season.

toshes mate

Quote from: ALG01 on June 26, 2019, 12:50:43 PM
Even I think it fair enough to let [TK] speak for himself.
You can draw your conclusions based on what he said.
Personally I heard a nice young man, very committed, in total denial, clearly using the wrong approach but justifying his myriad of failures very well and not accepting he is our problem.
He needs to be removed from his duties for the common good. If his name was Khan he would have been long gone.
He could organise a podcast on the FFC website where he could indulge in a monologue series - 'Getting to Know the Real Tony'.  The purpose of an interview is that the interviewer has control and is perceptive enough to ask questions that provoke proper answers and not a chance to say 'Hey guys, I am normally brilliant but last season I wasn't.  Sorry about that.  But don't worry we are going up next season because I have learned what others were doing wrong and with my brilliant stats system we are going places. It may be just a computer but, boy, it can do things you wouldn't imagine were possible.' (I paraphrase profusely.)

Deeping_white

Quote from: ALG01 on June 26, 2019, 01:11:41 PM

The only problem with Rico was that he probably punched the ball too much, and wasn't an Englishman called Betinelli, same with Fabri who got vilified instantly for not saving a shot that Betts also wouldn't have saved. Mawson was a risk yes, but we're talking about a player who was on the cusp of the England team and was worth taking a risk on, sadly he had a reoccurrence of his injury. Bryan got injured on debut as a result of a coming together with another player, again not his or TK's fault. Seri and Anguissa were potentially worth less than what we paid, but I maintain that if we'd played a system similar to that from which they'd come, there'd have been no problems. If Anguissa is such a waste of money then how come he's already picking up MoTM awards at AFCON?

He was not the only problem and reason we went down, I refer you to Slav's suicidal tactics that lost him 6 games running, or Claudio being a clown and alienating players for no reason. If you don't like him fair enough, but stop letting your loathing get in the way of forming a balanced argument

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 25, 2019, 03:40:31 PM

I believe Tony Khan has the ability to source money from Fulham's owner better than other DoF. The ability to source money is Best Prediictor of DoF success. Even if Shahid Khan wasn't the owner, I have little doubt about Tony Khan's ability to source money probable from his family.

Are you actually suggesting that Tony Khan can source money from his family to buy players for a club his father doesn't own? TK wouldn't get anywhere near a professional football club unless his father owned it. As for his father funding a club he doesn't own...  :005: are you serious???

Lighthouse

Thought the interview was fascinating and informative. Tony Khan came over very well and was as frustrated as the fans at our failure last season which he takes the responsibility for as far as his role went. We have been very good at blaming people when things don't work out while others are treated as saintly. We all share the frustration but to then go on to say would Tony Khan have the job if his Dad wasn't a Millionaire is like saying would his Dad be an owner if he wasn't a millionaire. Makes no sense. Before Tony Khan we blamed Mackintosh. We seem to need a pantomime villain.  Fact is we failed last season because the recruitment was poor, the tactics were poor, the players were poor and some of the fans were quick to turn on the team and each other.

Life doesn't always work out and it is always somebody's fault. But it doesn't mean it was their fault  alone. It seems the modern way of seeing things in politics or sport or Films. We have to have a Black and White answer and not everything is Black and White except the strip Fulham play in. Even that varies.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

I Ronic

There would of been a few things off limits due to on going negotiations. The fella's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. We now know a bit more than we did. I'd like to see a regular podcast featuring a mix of people at the Club.

wormbridge

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 26, 2019, 02:01:34 PM
Thought the interview was fascinating and informative. Tony Khan came over very well and was as frustrated as the fans at our failure last season which he takes the responsibility for as far as his role went. We have been very good at blaming people when things don't work out while others are treated as saintly. We all share the frustration but to then go on to say would Tony Khan have the job if his Dad wasn't a Millionaire is like saying would his Dad be an owner if he wasn't a millionaire. Makes no sense. Before Tony Khan we blamed Mackintosh. We seem to need a pantomime villain.  Fact is we failed last season because the recruitment was poor, the tactics were poor, the players were poor and some of the fans were quick to turn on the team and each other.

Life doesn't always work out and it is always somebody's fault. But it doesn't mean it was their fault  alone. It seems the modern way of seeing things in politics or sport or Films. We have to have a Black and White answer and not everything is Black and White except the strip Fulham play in. Even that varies.

well said!

Statto

Quote from: I Ronic on June 26, 2019, 02:08:06 PM
There would of been a few things off limits due to on going negotiations.

Agree with these two comments, and think it absolutely normal and sensible if that's what he's done.

Unfortunately I won't be able to listen to it properly until this evening.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: ALG01 on June 26, 2019, 12:38:58 PM
He is basing next season on the team from two seasons ago BUThas forgotten we do not have the same manager and the manager was fundamental to the style and tunnel vision.

BOOM.

And here is the vital point that seemingly everyone (press and fans alike) is completely overlooking when weighing up our chances and/or talking about minimal changes to the squad. The manager and the system are VITAL.

The same players often perform very differently under different managers and systems. Just as a quick and really obvious example, Man Utd won the league in Ferguson's last season, how did they do the season after? Or after that? Or any period since really despite spending half a billion pounds?

wheelerdeeler

Thought it was as good as it could have been. Few interesting things in there like the squad saying they wanted Kamara back next season, talking about Zambo, Mitrovic and Mawson in regard to next season etc. and it confirmed what I've thought all along that we needed to sort the outgoings before making any "big" signings.

I'm sure some people will take what they want to hear out of it, but overall I thought it was pretty good.

I Ronic

I don't know much about Tony Khan but have to say after listening to the podcast he genuinely seems to love the club and believes he has a role to play. I learned alot more than I thought I would. I think it's fair to say that generally Americans tend to be far more optimistic than us Brits and focus on what they got right. I think making the podcast was a risk but proved a good move. I like the guy.