Main Menu

Mawson off injured with a knee injury

Started by JoelH5, July 27, 2019, 04:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: mrmicawbers on July 28, 2019, 01:04:30 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on July 28, 2019, 12:50:08 AM
Quote from: mrmicawbers on July 28, 2019, 12:46:23 AM
Poor fellow hope he's ok soon.poo happens and this could have happened during the season. Don't you think they plan for this?The blessing in disguise is that it has happened early,before the window shuts. I will be totally surprised if we don't get people in to fill positions that need addressing. There are people on here that want us to fail so there TK agenda is valid.

I don't think anyone on here wants TK to fail, since that is bad for FFC.
Not how I read some of the posts on here. You would think we all want our team to do well.There are some posters on here would have us fail to back up ther theory our owners don't no what there doing. I will give them until the window shuts before I make my mind up.Until then I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

I am still fairly certain that those posters would prefer everything FFC related to go well. People just act differently when things are not (subjectively) perceived to be going very well.

deadcowboys

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on July 28, 2019, 12:54:07 AM
Read some wierd stuff about Mawson tonight. Admittedly it has turned out to be a disastrous signing for both parties & people are understandably exasperated but blaming the club & TK etc is bloody ludicrous.
Lets get a few things straight, Alfie Mawson had no history of knee problems, he had avoided injuries through his career, he had just come off a season where he was ever present. We're not talking about a Darren Anderton, Jack Wilshere etc, this is/was a player who was rarely in the treatment room.
He had a routine operation & I dont apologize for repeating that because some medical experts on here are talking about him as if he had reconstructive knee surgery or had chronic issues with ligaments, he went in to have his cartilage cleaned up & little bit of fat removed. It was a supposedly very straightforward procedure.
When we were in the process of signing him, there were two other clubs trying to get him, one in particular were very keen & thought they had him tied up. He had trained on his own & was on the road to fitness, obviously a few weeks behind the rest.
He underwent a stringent medical, as you would expect when you're talking about the money involved. He was passed fit, Fulham or any other club would have signed him.
Getting injured while taking his boot off is nonsense too, he felt something go before half time & it popped when he tried to take it off. He wasnt happy with the knee prior to then. Was playing with a bit of discomfort but was told it would pass.
Its obvious something not right, its a shame for him because hes worked very hard to get fit, he was only saying in the week he feels fit & is raring to show Fulham fans what he can do. Hes had no luck whatsoever, its clear he now has an issue with his knee but when we signed him he was a player not sidelined but back in training, No way have Swansea had us over or the clubs hierachy been negligent.
Unfortunately its just one of those things. Hes got a scan in the morning & is walking about. They dont think hes done anything too drastic but will find out tomorrow for sure

At last some common sense.

70sPimlico

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on July 28, 2019, 12:54:07 AM
Read some wierd stuff about Mawson tonight. Admittedly it has turned out to be a disastrous signing for both parties & people are understandably exasperated but blaming the club & TK etc is bloody ludicrous.
Lets get a few things straight, Alfie Mawson had no history of knee problems, he had avoided injuries through his career, he had just come off a season where he was ever present. We're not talking about a Darren Anderton, Jack Wilshere etc, this is/was a player who was rarely in the treatment room.
He had a routine operation & I dont apologize for repeating that because some medical experts on here are talking about him as if he had reconstructive knee surgery or had chronic issues with ligaments, he went in to have his cartilage cleaned up & little bit of fat removed. It was a supposedly very straightforward procedure.
When we were in the process of signing him, there were two other clubs trying to get him, one in particular were very keen & thought they had him tied up. He had trained on his own & was on the road to fitness, obviously a few weeks behind the rest.
He underwent a stringent medical, as you would expect when you're talking about the money involved. He was passed fit, Fulham or any other club would have signed him.
Getting injured while taking his boot off is nonsense too, he felt something go before half time & it popped when he tried to take it off. He wasnt happy with the knee prior to then. Was playing with a bit of discomfort but was told it would pass.
Its obvious something not right, its a shame for him because hes worked very hard to get fit, he was only saying in the week he feels fit & is raring to show Fulham fans what he can do. Hes had no luck whatsoever, its clear he now has an issue with his knee but when we signed him he was a player not sidelined but back in training, No way have Swansea had us over or the clubs hierachy been negligent.
Unfortunately its just one of those things. Hes got a scan in the morning & is walking about. They dont think hes done anything too drastic but will find out tomorrow for sure

Cheers for that

toshes mate

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 28, 2019, 12:21:39 AM
As expected, there is an almost impressive lack of reason on here tonight.

Even if you dislike TK, and even if you pretend (like some on here) that you know more than the medical team assessing our potential signings, many comments on here are complete childish nonsense, in my opinion. Most likely Mawson was cleared by FFC's doctor's before we signed him, and if so it was not an unreasonable move at the time. His new injury is of course mostly down to bad luck (unless he wasn't cleared at signing), even if there was an increased risk. In my opinion that is, although obviously many on here knows much better (because reasons). 
There is only ever a lack of full reasoning simply because we never actually know the full picture, and we never know anything of real consequence (i.e. plausible evidence) unless it has been given to us in the public domain.  With that in mind who are you to say what was the discussion between the medics and the recruiters about Mawson?  Was it for example a case of the injury and operation have an '80-20 percent' positive outcome which are the best odds the best surgeon can give you?  That is a risk that, as a player, you'd take to keep your career on the road, but as a buyer what would you do if you were not desperate to get a transfer over the line?

I am fed up with people talking nonsense on both sides of the TK divide, and also stop playing the points game with his position.  TK is on a severe reprimand in my books and he isn't doing much to restore my faith.

toshes mate

Quote from: deadcowboys on July 28, 2019, 01:19:58 AM
Lets get a few things straight, Alfie Mawson had no history of knee problems.
Nobody has a history of knee problems until they find they have one. 

Walking, running and even stretching on the knee do not show up as critical points or activities, but you can suddenly feel the knee joint or lower leg bones move with a 'popping' or 'loud click' sound which may or may not be accompanied by pain or muscle discomfort, cramp or spasm elsewhere in the leg.  The leg will appear to recover fully when you lie down and gradually stretch it out and half an hour or so later will often appear as good as new.  Your leg may be slightly sore but that is all.  At other times the pain will not recede although you may still be quite mobile.  You can freely walk, run or exercise on it without pain in many cases.  And then when you are doing something quite routine it'll pop or click again and so on.  A scan will reveal the underlying nature of the issue.

All knee ops are routine because it is the commonest joint to give people problems.  No surgery is, however, routine since the surgeons do not know what they will find until they operate.  There are things the scans simply do not reveal which is why consultants will tend not to want to operate unless it is absolutely necessary since the operation can render the knee less movement instead of movement without pain.  The cartilage is part of the ligament, and the fat is fluid build up as a result of damage.

Edit: I have managed to incorrectly attribute the quote to deadcowboys rather than Hillingdon FFC.  My apologies to both.

Sting of the North

Quote from: toshes mate on July 28, 2019, 10:02:46 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on July 28, 2019, 12:21:39 AM
As expected, there is an almost impressive lack of reason on here tonight.

Even if you dislike TK, and even if you pretend (like some on here) that you know more than the medical team assessing our potential signings, many comments on here are complete childish nonsense, in my opinion. Most likely Mawson was cleared by FFC's doctor's before we signed him, and if so it was not an unreasonable move at the time. His new injury is of course mostly down to bad luck (unless he wasn't cleared at signing), even if there was an increased risk. In my opinion that is, although obviously many on here knows much better (because reasons). 
There is only ever a lack of full reasoning simply because we never actually know the full picture, and we never know anything of real consequence (i.e. plausible evidence) unless it has been given to us in the public domain.  With that in mind who are you to say what was the discussion between the medics and the recruiters about Mawson?  Was it for example a case of the injury and operation have an '80-20 percent' positive outcome which are the best odds the best surgeon can give you?  That is a risk that, as a player, you'd take to keep your career on the road, but as a buyer what would you do if you were not desperate to get a transfer over the line?

I am fed up with people talking nonsense on both sides of the TK divide, and also stop playing the points game with his position.  TK is on a severe reprimand in my books and he isn't doing much to restore my faith.

I am not saying what the discussion was between medics and recruiters, since I do not know. That was kind of my point (that we don't know). Then I added what I thought was likely, namely that recruiters got the green light from the medical team (again, I don't claim to know this). I also added that I believe that we are having bad luck (should not have used the word "of course", since that indicates something to be true, although I cannot possibly know, sorry about that). I am not on any particular side regarding TK, and see absolutely no reason to be on a side since that seem very limiting.

SG

Rightly or wrongly I believe people's judgement and comments are influenced by the string of poor signings this management has made. The money wasted is borderline criminal if it wasn't their own. Whilst every signing carries risks we seem to have a very high failure percentage. This adds to people's frustration when in this case we appear to have been more unfortunate than anything at a critical stage of the season

GJB

Quote from: ALG01 on July 28, 2019, 12:24:42 AM
Quote from: GJB on July 27, 2019, 10:27:52 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on July 27, 2019, 09:54:28 PM
when we got him I said it was an error to sign an injured player... again
then when he was recovering and injured himself tieing up his boots I saud it was error to sign an injured player again
and all through this pre season and from the time last season finished I said do not rely on him he will not play 10 full games because he was injured

and I was told I was a doom and gloom merchant and he had recovered and would be our main man this season

seems I know more than many on here, largely because I have seen it all before and know how to use my eyes and ears properly.

I am sorry for the lad, not his fault our DoF is arrogant, negligent, useless and only and very unfortunately here because of his dad. Our DoF is so useless that if he was in a government department the governement would fall because of keeping an incompetent in place. He does not learn from errors and is strangling the lifeblood from us.

I loved the booklet this morning with my season ticket and the beautiful pacjkaging but I would swap that for a man that knew what he was doing in charge.

Oh and another thing, from the highlits I saw on the westr ham site (they have the decency to put them up quickly) MLM and bryan look way below the required quality...bryan never knows wheether to tackle or back off and MLM is just a poor excuse.

Bottom 8 nailed on

Which sixteen teams do you think are "nailed on" better than us this season?

I'm unsure how the West Ham highlights portrayed him, but from what I saw at the Cottage today Bryan made crucial tackles, looked comfortable in defence and he made Anderson look very average. He's the least of our worries at the back this season.

"I feel sorry for the lad, not his fault our DOF is arrogant, negligent, useless" - Are you trying to suggest here Tony Khan caused Mawson's injury today, which is why you're sorry? Or that people are blaming Mawson stating it's his fault for Tony Khan's decision-making as DOF, which is why you feel sorry??

we signed mawsom when he was already injured and it was obvious he would remain so especially the boot lace incident confirmed that.

we are poor bottom 8 is most likely as we have no defence.

bryan? he was poor in the highlits displaying all the weakness he showed last season when defending. he gets caught in no mans land endlessly and cannot decided whether to close or back off consequently does neither. If you say he did ok because younwere at the game I have to believe you, the bits I saw were not like that.

Do you think sixteen of the other teams in the Championship have a better defence than us? I'm struggling to see it personally

Nero

Was Mawson injured watched the highlights nothing showing the injury, Scotts post game reaction no mention of injury, watched sky no mention of injury but we get Dominic Solanke being hit in the ball in the face report on there.

sunburywhite

Didnt one of our players go to America a few years ago for surgery on his knee which saved his career?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

spikey norman

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 28, 2019, 10:53:50 AM
Didnt one of our players go to America a few years ago for surgery on his knee which saved his career?
Was that Jimmy Bullard?

Tabby

Quote from: Nero on July 28, 2019, 10:51:16 AM
Was Mawson injured watched the highlights nothing showing the injury, Scotts post game reaction no mention of injury, watched sky no mention of injury but we get Dominic Solanke being hit in the ball in the face report on there.

He was carried off by MLM and a physio just before the second half started.

toshes mate

SP stated that Mawson was going to have a scan.  Whether or not that happens is a question I have in my head because I am unsure it'll achieve anything more than confirm what is already known but it may give the player confidence if no new damage is discovered.

Obviously, and as I have explained above, he can say no more than that for the reasons given above.  In Mawson's favour it may be just one of those moments with no longer term necessity for treatment or solution other than focusing minds on the fact repetition of yesterday's incident may be a risk to be countered and covered for the future.  I hope for Mawson's sake it was just a moment.

ALG01

Quote from: GJB on July 28, 2019, 10:44:33 AM
then when he was recovering and injured himself tieing up his boots I saud it was error to sign an injured player again
and all through this pre season and from the time last season finished I said do not rely on him he will not play 10 full games because he was injured

and I was told I was a doom and gloom merchant and he had recovered and would be our main man this season

seems I know more than many on here, largely because I have seen it all before and know how to use my eyes and ears properly.

I am sorry for the lad, not his fault our DoF is arrogant, negligent, useless and only and very unfortunately here because of his dad. Our DoF is so useless that if he was in a government department the governement would fall because of keeping an incompetent in place. He does not learn from errors and is strangling the lifeblood from us.

I loved the booklet this morning with my season ticket and the beautiful pacjkaging but I would swap that for a man that knew what he was doing in charge.

Oh and another thing, from the highlits I saw on the westr ham site (they have the decency to put them up quickly) MLM and bryan look way below the required quality...bryan never knows wheether to tackle or back off and MLM is just a poor excuse.

Bottom 8 nailed on

I'm unsure how the West Ham highlights portrayed him, but from what I saw at the Cottage today Bryan made crucial tackles, looked comfortable in defence and he made Anderson look very average. He's the least of our worries at the back this season.

"I feel sorry for the lad, not his fault our DOF is arrogant, negligent, useless" - Are you trying to suggest here Tony Khan caused Mawson's injury today, which is why you're sorry? Or that people are blaming Mawson stating it's his fault for Tony Khan's decision-making as DOF, which is why you feel sorry??

we signed mawsom when he was already injured and it was obvious he would remain so especially the boot lace incident confirmed that.

bryan? he was poor in the highlits displaying all the weakness he showed last season when defending. he gets caught in no mans land endlessly and cannot decided whether to close or back off consequently does neither. If you say he did ok because younwere at the game I have to believe you, the bits I saw were not like that.

Do you think sixteen of the other teams in the Championship have a better defence than us? I'm struggling to see it personally

Your opinion v mine based on our current squad. I am glad you are so optimistic and really hope you are more right than me but this squad has disaster written all ove it as it stands.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: Tabby on July 28, 2019, 11:19:37 AM

Sorry, but were you there? The incident happened a few minutes into the 2nd half, the ball had just gone out for a throw in, that's when he went down. As it was in the corner nearest the Cottage he was helped off and went straight to the dressing room, he was then subbed by Christie.

Berserker

We just need a couple of people coming in to cover Mawson as he is still unreliable

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

colinwhite

He tweaked his knee making a pass unchallenged before he went down. Looks like a ligament strain or rupture to me.

absenteeism

Always sad when an athletes body just gives up.

Last season was a complete sham.

Tabby

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on July 28, 2019, 11:35:24 AM
Quote from: Tabby on July 28, 2019, 11:19:37 AM

Sorry, but were you there? The incident happened a few minutes into the 2nd half, the ball had just gone out for a throw in, that's when he went down. As it was in the corner nearest the Cottage he was helped off and went straight to the dressing room, he was then subbed by Christie.

Nah, was listening to the radio. Must have misheard.

GJB

Quote from: ALG01 on July 28, 2019, 11:34:29 AM
Quote from: GJB on July 28, 2019, 10:44:33 AM

Bottom 8 nailed on

Your opinion v mine based on our current squad. I am glad you are so optimistic and really hope you are more right than me but this squad has disaster written all ove it as it stands.

You're right, it is just my opinion and I'm trying to consider the situation with a glass half full approach.

My thoughts are not just based on our squad. Comparing our squad to others, there's very few stand-out teams who have depth to their squad that is categorically strong enough for promotion, or even a defence where I look at each defender and I get worried that Fulham's defence is clearly lacking in comparison.