watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Your Preferred 11 v Sheffield Wednesday

Started by Friendsoffulham, September 17, 2019, 12:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

What do we think? Does Rodak deserve a start over Bettinelli, Arter returns after his ban, and Reed keeps his place over Johansen.

What is your preferred 11 v Sheffield Wednesday? Let us know below:

Bassey the warrior

I'd go with that but would worry if Reed and Arter lack creativity.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 17, 2019, 01:42:37 AM
I'd go with that but would worry if Reed and Arter lack creativity.

Reed played brilliantly for 60 minutes (then played just well) and Arter had some of last week off for an operation probably needs a 60 minute game too. I'd start with Reed, Johasen and Cairney; then bring on "Arter for Reed" if we are behind or bring on "Arter on for Johansen" if we are ahead. If start with Reed and Arter, then if they cannot do 90 mins each we could end up with KMac and Stefjo at the end of the game (not the worst option).

Statto

I like the OP's team but am inclined to agree with the Rational Fan about Arter

Rodak
Sessegnon - Mawson - Ream - Bryan
Reed - Johansen - Cairney
Knockaert - Mitrovic - Cavaleiro

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Statto on September 17, 2019, 08:00:47 AM
I like the OP's team but am inclined to agree with the Rational Fan about Arter

Rodak
Reed - Johansen - Cairney

Agree with that. Wouldn't be against Reid in for Johansen, but may have to err on the side of caution away from home.

One Martin Thomas

I would start with the team at the top but in a 4 2 3 1 formation ...

Spirit of 2000

Rodak, Sess, Bryan, Ream, Mawson, Arter, Reed, Cairney, Knockaert, Cav, Mitro.

Whitesideup

Possibly Rodak for Betts - or is it too early? Does it undermine Betts' confidence, or does it make him more determined to improve performance when the ball is in the air?

Odoi for Sess - as mentioned on another thread, Sess could easily have given away another good goal-scoring opportunity - I also think he was responsible for not getting hold of Murphy in the Cardiff game. He started his run from behind Sess who missed his move. And of course the Forest 2nd goal. Generally he has been doing ok, though I didn't think Saturday was his best performance, but for me it's a mistake too far, and I think Odoi should come in. I know many will disagree, but you can't argue for Betts being replaced while ignoring mistakes of others.

Can't drop Harrison Reed after his performance. Arter for Bobby? Makes us a bit defensive. Not sure I wouldn't keep the midfield the same. Tough call.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Whitesideup on September 17, 2019, 10:58:21 AM
Possibly Rodak for Betts - or is it too early? Does it undermine Betts' confidence, or does it make him more determined to improve performance when the ball is in the air?

Odoi for Sess - as mentioned on another thread, Sess could easily have given away another good goal-scoring opportunity - I also think he was responsible for not getting hold of Murphy in the Cardiff game. He started his run from behind Sess who missed his move. And of course the Forest 2nd goal. Generally he has been doing ok, though I didn't think Saturday was his best performance, but for me it's a mistake too far, and I think Odoi should come in. I know many will disagree, but you can't argue for Betts being replaced while ignoring mistakes of others.

Can't drop Harrison Reed after his performance. Arter for Bobby? Makes us a bit defensive. Not sure I wouldn't keep the midfield the same. Tough call.

I agree Sessegnon isn't perfect, but he has played in the first team for a few months, not 5 years.

He isn't a 90 minute player yet. I'd start him, but when he starts to look leggy, bring Odoi on.

Sting of the North

Betts
Reed - Arter - Cairney

Believe that Rodak, Reid, Johansen, Odoi and Kamara are all knocking on the door here, but I believe it is to our advantage not to change too much. Even though I was a bit disappointed with both our wingers last game, they have had several good games as well so would keep them in the team for now. Also a bit harsh on Reid who I believe had a fairly strong game, but Arter has also been really good so far and Reed had a really strong game against WBA.

Matt10

Betts

Sess        Mawson       Ream     Bryan

Cairney   Arter    Johansen

Knockaert    Mitro      Cava

----
Think Betts has basically one more chance before Parker considers Rodak. It doesn't seem to me that Parker will make that move so obviously. He's a player's coach and I imagine that Betts' confidence could hurt longterm if Rodak is introduced right away. I know Reed played great in place of Arter, but Johansen is a big time player for us just as much in terms of creativity and is coming off a good stretch for Norway during the break.

RaySmith

I think it's a big decision to change a keeper mid season, especially after  one or two errors that have led to game changing goals conceded, which can effect a keeper's confidence. A keeper's relationship with his defence is also very important - that understanding.

I don't myself think that Betts has done a lot wrong, and also seems to be getting to grips with playing out from the back.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: RaySmith on September 17, 2019, 04:57:05 PM
I think it's a big decision to change a keeper mid season, especially after  one or two errors that have led to game changing goals conceded, which can effect a keeper's confidence. A keeper's relationship with his defence is also very important - that understanding.

I don't myself think that Betts has done a lot wrong, and also seems to be getting to grips with playing out from the back.

Granted his passing is improving, but he may be suffering from complacency which would explain the frequent mistakes. No player should be undroppable.

Classic94

Rodak
Odoi Mawson Ream Bryan
Reed Arter Cairney
Knockaert Mitro Cavaleiro

Give Sess a breather. It could be best to rotate him with Odoi throughout the season.

Twig

Quote from: Matt10 on September 17, 2019, 04:40:40 PM
                      Betts

----
Think Betts has basically one more chance before Parker considers Rodak. It doesn't seem to me that Parker will make that move so obviously. He's a player's coach and I imagine that Betts' confidence could hurt longterm if Rodak is introduced right away. I know Reed played great in place of Arter, but Johansen is a big time player for us just as much in terms of creativity and is coming off a good stretch for Norway during the break.

This, but if I were to consider one change it would be Odoi for Sess as he has looked pretty ordinary for the last couple of home games.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Classic94 on September 17, 2019, 08:04:38 PM
Rodak
Odoi Mawson Ream Bryan
Reed Arter Cairney
Knockaert Mitro Cavaleiro

Give Sess a breather. It could be best to rotate him with Odoi throughout the season.

I couldn't agree more about giving players "a breather", especially Betts and S.Sess.

Woolly Mammoth

Betts
Sessegnon
Mawson
Ream
Bryan
Reed
Arter
Cairney
Knockaert
Mitro
Cav

Stick with Betts for the moment and hope his head is clear and his confidence is all there. As for Sess start him and see how he performs, there is no need to overreact, although I appreciate it is better to be wise before the event.
Working with the players Scott will know his mind.
It's also about game management. I also would not get too obsessed with whether we are home or away. If we have the right characters then it should not matter 11 v 11. Silence the crowd and do not give them hope where there isn't any. The pressure is on the opponent.
We also have a strong bench, and subs play a huge part. We have to have players that can win games for us, and players who can save games for us.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jims Dentist

Betts
Odoi  Mawson. Ream. Bryan
       Reed          Arter
                Reid
     Cav. Mitro   Knocky.

Yes I have swopped sides for the two wide men to see if Cav is up to it using his favoured right foot.
Although they should have freedom to interchange though out the game.
Also Caiirney to the bench. Very controversial, but does he work hard enough for tough away games, he rarely even competes for 50/50's.
I would hope Reid would be more effective away when we may have a chance to run at opponent's.
Reed and Arter could alternate between DMF and box to box MF.

Matt10

Quote from: Twig on September 17, 2019, 09:13:03 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on September 17, 2019, 04:40:40 PM
                      Betts

----

This, but if I were to consider one change it would be Odoi for Sess as he has looked pretty ordinary for the last couple of home games.

Personally, I saw enough of Odoi last season. As much as a club hero he is, there were too many brain-fleeting moments for me that will take a while to warm back up into good standing. Steve Sess hasn't played enough for me to have a real opinion yet. He keeps it simple, and got caught out twice when he didn't.

The Rational Fan

A Team
              Rodak
Odoi Mawson Ream Bryan
               Reed
        Johasen Cairney
Knockaert  Mitro   Kebano

B Team
                Betts
Christie  KMac  MLM  S.Sess
                   Arter       
           Riley      Onamah
Kamara        Reid      Kebano

Other Options: Norman, Fossey, Hector, Edun, Cisse, Torres and MTC

I think this is a stronger backup than 17/18.