Started by Facts Not Fiction, November 18, 2019, 10:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twang

Rodak
Christie - Odoi - Mawson - Bryan
Cairney - Reed - Johansen
Cavaleiro - Kamara - Knockaert

Bench: Bettinelli, Sessegnon, Le Marchand, McDonald, O'Riley, Kebano & Reid

If Johansen's not available then Reid takes his place and Taylor-Crossdale takes his spot on the bench.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: Moltobueno on November 20, 2019, 10:46:18 AM
4-1-4-1

Rodak

Christie     Odoi     Mawson        Bryan

Reed

Knockaert    Johansen  Cairney   Cavaleiro

Reid

Subs: Bettinelli, Sessegnon, De la Torre, Onomah, Kamara, Kebano

I like this set up, and you could swap wingers as and when.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

We Are Premier League

I am to lazy to check but I dont think we tend to rest Ream after the international break. I assume that he is quite used to the trip across the pond after all these years in england.

We Are Premier League

Rodak

Christie       Mawson  Ream       Bryan

Reed

Knockaert    Johansen  Cairney   Cavaleiro

Reid

Subs: Bettinelli, Sessegnon, Odoi, McD, Onomah, Kamara, Kebano

bahay18

Considering Kamara hasn't had a look in this year ( possibly harshly) , bobby Reid seems the likely central striker and was very effective for Bristol at this level and caused us no end of problems when he has played against us in that role . If Parker wants to stick with the inverted wingers then the 2 full backs need to provide us some attacking width . A front 3 of cav, reid and knock should be very interchangeable across the line and should cause a different set of problems .  ( as long as they are prepared to move and chase )

HV71

Their back 4 are very very slow and oddly would probably have relished the physical battle with Mitro more than AK running at them.

They will be terrified of a mental battle with Kamara ......( what will he do next ? )

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: HV71 on November 20, 2019, 08:55:14 PM
Their back 4 are very very slow and oddly would probably have relished the physical battle with Mitro more than AK running at them.

They will be terrified of a mental battle with Kamara ......( what will he do next ? )

I can't fathom any world where defenders would rather play against Kamara than Mitrovic.

copthornemike

Obviously Mitro is a big miss (not just for his goals & hold up play, but also has been excellent when we defend deadball positions, particularly corners.
However I do tend to agree with others that a rest may be exactly what he needs longterm.
The only criticism which one can raise about Mitro is that he is not the quickest. I recall a few seasons ago with McCormack who was our main goal scorer (sometimes only one it appeared on occassion) and like Mitro the major problem was his lack of speed which could  slow down our overall approach play.
Hopefully Scotty has a Plan B in hand to implement quicker, more mobile approach play when Mitro is not available. Hodgson's introduction of Zoltan Gera as a 'false forward' following a 'striker injury crisis' in the end worked well and maybe Bobby Reid might turn out to be an excellent Plan B?

HV71

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on November 20, 2019, 09:11:09 PM

I can't fathom any world where defenders would rather play against Kamara than Mitrovic.

Defenders may fear playing Kamara more than Mitrovoic, but any fool can realise Mitrovoic is more likely to hit the back of the net.

kiwian

Bit off topic, but who is #70 in the slideshow?
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Dr Quinzel

Only on messageboards.

I appreciate their positivity though!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on November 20, 2019, 02:02:14 PM
Is everyone consciously endorsing Cavaliero on the left and Knockaert on the right (rather than the other way around) or just going along with it because we know Parker won't change it?

I endorse Cavaliero on the right, but I strongly endorse Knockaert on the right (or at least disendorse him on the left). We have two right wingers, the problem is Knockaert seems shoot with his left and cross with his right foot but not capable of the other way around in open play. From what i can see us there is a reason has played 240 games on the right and 24 games on the left.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 21, 2019, 10:15:03 AM
Is everyone consciously endorsing Cavaliero on the left and Knockaert on the right (rather than the other way around) or just going along with it because we know Parker won't change it?

I endorse Cavaliero on the right, but I strongly endorse Knockaert on the right (or at least disendorse him on the left). We have two right wingers, the problem is Knockaert seems shoot with his left and cross with his right foot but not capable of the other way around in open play. From what i can see us there is a reason has played 240 games on the right and 24 games on the left.

If he's played on the right, then naturally he's going to be crossing with his right foot and shooting (when cutting inside) with his left.

I'm sure he's capable of doing it the other way around - he's supposed to be predominantly left-footed.

I accept he probably prefers to play on the right but so does Cavaleiro (historically) and since Cavaliero has been the better player, I'd rather play him in his preferred position at RW and let Knockaert and Reid fight over the LW slot.

Then we can move on from this inverted wingers rubbish which is just not working IMO

Statto

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on November 21, 2019, 09:59:16 AM

Only on messageboards.

I appreciate their positivity though!

Extremely harsh

Mitrovic, whilst brilliant, is a very one-dimensional player and Kamara clearly offers something different (mainly, pace). It follows there are going to be some defenders who could perhaps limit Mitrovic to 2-3 chances in the game but will struggle to keep hold of Kamara.

I admit the problem is Mitrovic will probably score from 2-3 chances whereas Kamara can waste double that

Dr Quinzel

If there's a professional football in the world that would rather face Kamara over Mitrovic, in terms of winning a game and keeping a clean sheet or a score low enough to win, then I'd be blown!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on November 21, 2019, 10:26:09 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 21, 2019, 10:15:03 AM

If he's played on the right, then naturally he's going to be crossing with his right foot and shooting (when cutting inside) with his left.

I'm sure he's capable of doing it the other way around - he's supposed to be predominantly left-footed.

I accept he probably prefers to play on the right but so does Cavaleiro (historically) and since Cavaliero has been the better player, I'd rather play him in his preferred position at RW and let Knockaert and Reid fight over the LW slot.

Then we can move on from this inverted wingers rubbish which is just not working IMO

There is logic that the LW should be a rotation position, as our two best forwards are best in CF/RW respectively; and I'm sure Knockaert can cross with his left from open play, he is quite good crossing with his left from corners.

I even wonder if Joe Bryan should be the left wing sometimes, especially when we are ahead and need the LW to get back. 

But frankly, this match is the one it makes most sense to have two inverted wingers, because our centre forward (ie not Mitro) can get back if our wingers cut in and our full backs  (Christie and Bryan) can get up providing width.

If inverted wingers doesn't work with this team, it definately won't work with Mitro back and Christie on the bench.

Jim©

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on November 21, 2019, 10:32:54 AM
If there's a professional football in the world that would rather face Kamara over Mitrovic, in terms of winning a game and keeping a clean sheet or a score low enough to win, then I'd be blown!

I think it's more of a case that QPR's backline aren't the quickest and may be able to cope (a la Charlton CB) with Mitro in a more physical, everything is played infront of you type of way. AK can ask for the longer ball in behind which will scare the defenders.
This probably means that the QPR defence will sit 4 or 5 yards deeper than usual, giving us even more of the ball in the relatively uncongested MF area.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Jim© on November 21, 2019, 02:40:47 PM
Quote from: Dr Quinzel on November 21, 2019, 10:32:54 AM

I think it's more of a case that QPR's backline aren't the quickest and may be able to copy (a la Charlton CB) with Mitro in a more physical, everything is played infront of you type of way. AK can ask for the longer ball in behind which will scare the defenders.
This probably means that the QPR defence will sit 4 or 5 yards deeper than usual, giving us even more of the ball in the relatively uncongested MF area.

Agreed. It doesn't mean that they believe Kamara is better than Mitro, but that the style of play may be different. Just because Mitro is a good player doesn't mean that everything he does always makes the team play better.

Dr Quinzel

All of that ignores the point - You ask any QPR defender who they'd rather see lining up against them tomorrow, Kamara or Mitro. I have no doubt they would all rather play against Kamara. Fulham are less likely to win by playing Kamara than they are Mitrovic. Other than being contrary and over thinking football, I don't see how anyone would believe any different. Kamara may pose different problems, but overall, they'd rather play him than Mitrovic if the aim is to win the game.