watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Winning but losing

Started by DagenhamDan, November 27, 2019, 01:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DagenhamDan

Feel free to scroll on and ignore.  I need to share my grief with the Fulham family.

Ten minutes after full-time last night my father passed away. Terry was a life long Fulham supporter from the mid fifties. Dad introduced me to Fulham in 1981 and that created an extra special non to be broken bond between the two of us.

He fought against cancer valiantly for 18 months before finally succumbing to it.  Luckily he was able to watch the game on Friday v QPR and his last words to me that night were 'good win Dan'.

I kept him informed of the score last night and ten minutes after telling him the result he passed away with all of us around him.

Thanks Dad for everything including Fulham.

Twig

Dan, I lost my father a few years back. He and his brothers were local boys and all FFC supporters, like you they initiated me into the club.  I know how hard it is to suffer such a loss but it sounds to have been a dignified ending which I hope is some small consolation to you.

Bill2

Sorry to hear of your loss, I am sure the result would have made him smile.

ScalleysDad

Our condolences and best wishes. I work at a Cancer rehab and support unit and it is a wicked and terrible thing. Personally I take some solace in his last few moments when something he clearly cherished gave him some joy.
All the best.

gang

bencher

Sincere condolences for your loss Dan. The beauty of supporting Fulham is how it is passed on through the generations. Now he can rest in peace with other Fulham legends of old.

ByTheRiver

SuffolkWhite

Really tough Dan, a lot of us miss our Dad's, condolences mate.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

davew

Quote from: Bill2 on November 27, 2019, 01:54:45 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, I am sure the result would have made him smile.
+1
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

southwest6

Very sorry for your loss Dan. I'm so pleased that he left us knowing Fulham had won. Wishing you all the courage and peace of mind.

bog

Sorry to hear that Dan. I began in 1953 so will have know most of your dad's times. My father went 39 years ago and I still take him to the games with me. 

jarv

Sorry to hear that. Many years ago I had a similar story when my stepfather died. He too was alifelong Fulham fan and introduced me to Fulham in 1960. Sorry for your loss.

The Swan

Sorry to hear about your sad loss.
I lost my dad to cancer in 1973. I also lost my younger brother to cancer in 2003.
My brother was a home and away Fulham supporter. He followed my lead when I started to support Fulham in 1961.
Hope all deceased Fulham supporters get together in the next life.
The Swan

Carborundum

I'm sorry to read about your loss.  My dad died earlier this year after a long illness.  Nothing quite prepared me for the feelings that followed, but among them was a surprise. I find myself thinking about what he would say or do in response to a difficult situation, more than I did when he was alive. His influence on me is magnified.  I wish you well in the difficult times ahead.

filham

Sorry to hear of your loss Dan. I started watching Fulham in about 1948 so would have enjoyed a lot of the best times that your dad did.

It will be nice for you to think back and remember all those Fulham times you had in common.

MisfitKid

My prayers to you and your family.   9739.gif
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

KJS

Sorry to hear your sad news my thoughts are with you and all your family, it was same with me, I support FFC thanks to my Dad who passed away 20 years ago but he is still with me in spirit at every game

Fernhurst

So sorry to hear of your sad loss Dan, it's a long time since I lost my Dad but every time I visit The Cottage there are memory's of my Dad and I around every corner. I hope you find the same comfort in the future, meantime deepest condolences to you and all your family.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Fulham 442

Commiserations Dagenham Dan, so sorry for your loss. Just to share another Fulham  memory, my father a lifelong  fan, died from cancer on 15/03/03. We were playing at Loftus Road against Southampton and leading 2 1 when Niemi equalised for them in extra time.  I had left the hospice to go to the game and headed straight back there afterwards to give Dad the match report and I remember commenting that we managed to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory! Very Fulhamish! He died a few hours later. I am happy to say that his name is engraved on the plaque on the George Cohen statue and so Dad will be forever at Craven Cottage,  which he will be very happy with.

Finnans Right Peg