more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

January Silly Season Transfer Thread 2019/20

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 02, 2019, 08:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilEsh

Quote from: MrFFC on January 31, 2020, 08:52:37 AM
Would everyone be happy with the window if no signings were made today?

No way: we need A full back, centre back and a striker at a min and so long as Joe Bryan Doesn't leave.

Sting of the North

Quote from: PhilEsh on January 31, 2020, 10:59:17 AM

No way: we need A full back, centre back and a striker at a min and so long as Joe Bryan Doesn't leave.

Why do we need a centre back? We have 5 already + Odoi. Also, do you mean striker as in a short term replacement for Mitro? Because Kamara is reportedly almost back...

Sting of the North

Quote from: filham on January 31, 2020, 10:59:16 AM
We really don't want to see any of those bargain basement last minute half fit loan signings coming in today. All that we really need is a proven goalscorer to take the weight of Mitro.  A good goalscorer would have to be better than Kamara and would cost a lot of money and it is not going to happen so we had best settle for what we have.

Competion for places on the bench is already strong so no more benchwarmers please.

I already tried to kind of suggest this with more words before (not to you specifically), but why do you believe we need someone better than Kamara as our back up striker?

JimmyConway

Who will be the one that got away this window? the one we think would of been an excellent addition.

Woolly Mammoth

Not really, we need another full back, plus a striker minimum, we need a bigger squad if we are to make a serious challenge for automatic spot. Believe me there will injuries loss of form and the odd suspension most likely. We have to be prepared for any eventuality if this club wants to give itself the best chance of promotion.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rusty shackleford

Has there ever been a window were this thread is not full of people expecting 3 or 4 starters to be signed on deadline day. Not gonna happen

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rusty shackleford on January 31, 2020, 11:42:23 AM
Has there ever been a window were this thread is not full of people expecting 3 or 4 starters to be signed on deadline day. Not gonna happen

We all know that, but their is no harm in talking about it.
Also if the recruitment unit are reading the posts, they can pick up a few tips as well, as they need a little educating.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

brightster

Now I think this is a deal that we should be looking at if the rumours are true!
"Tottenham are willing to allow Kenya midfielder Victor Wanyama to leave the club - but only if their £8m asking price is met. Celtic are interested in the 28-year-old"

Really rate him even when at Southampton, would definitely be an upgrade for us ahead of McDonald and Reid IMO. Only mentioned them 2 as they seem to be the preferred defensive mids.

DevonFFC

spikey norman

Sky reporting that we along with some other clubs have had bids for Sheff Utds Luke Freeman knocked back.

FFC1987

What do you think of WestBrom signing Grosicki from Hull?

Riversider

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 31, 2020, 12:52:46 PM
What do you think of WestBrom signing Grosicki from Hull?

Great signing he has all the trickery and know how to open up any packed defence, we would all be delighted if he was coming here, Jota is a similar style of player so hopefully we can tie up a deal for him.

Bracken White

Window closes 11pm in England - midnight in Scotland. Brexit parties tonight, too!
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

Sting of the North

Quote from: brightster on January 31, 2020, 11:56:05 AM
Now I think this is a deal that we should be looking at if the rumours are true!
"Tottenham are willing to allow Kenya midfielder Victor Wanyama to leave the club - but only if their £8m asking price is met. Celtic are interested in the 28-year-old"

Really rate him even when at Southampton, would definitely be an upgrade for us ahead of McDonald and Reid IMO. Only mentioned them 2 as they seem to be the preferred defensive mids.

:plus one:

Maybe questions over match fitness, but he is already a proven PL performer so would be good for the future anyway for that price I believe.

Riversider

We're in for Domingos Quina on loan, a young midfielder from Watford, none of the reports that I've just read seem to make this a move to get too excited about.

MikeW

This lad from Raith .... one for the future I assume.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Carborundum

Quote from: MikeW on January 31, 2020, 02:24:58 PM
This lad from Raith .... one for the future I assume.
Quite literally, because we have allowed him to continue being Raith's starman until the end of the season

LVBPTS

Marcus Maddison [Peterborough - Hull] Loan
Supporter since 2000

JimOG

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 31, 2020, 10:08:50 AM
Quote from: JimOG on January 31, 2020, 09:06:56 AM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 31, 2020, 08:59:09 AM

Yes. If no one of any note leaves either.

That said, I don't think it'll happen and we will surely get a loan in, otherwise why pay out early for Bobby Reid if not to free up the loan space?

We can cover the full backs but we really need a Glenn Murray to get us over the line. For me AK is not a top class finisher. Too much hangs on Mitro. Look, for example at Brentford's spread of scorers. Watkins is top man but has great support

He may not be a top class finisher (kind of subjective I guess), but he has scored a goal every 209 minutes on the pitch in his Fulham career, even though he often has played as a winger. That would translate to almost a 20 goal season if he played 46 full games. Not too shabby in my opinion.

For comparison, Mitrovic has scored every 179 minutes.

If we only look at the Championship (which may be more relevant) Kamara has a very decent record of a goal every 182 minutes, which would put him at at roughly a 23 goal pace if he played a full season.

Again, for comparison, Mitrovic has a goal every 123 minutes for Fulham in the Championship (falls to a goal every 142 minutes if we count his Newcastle days), which is of course remarkably good and maybe not a standard for which we should hold our back up striker that often plays on the wing instead.

Lastly, if I read the available stats correctly, Kamara has scored a goal every 118 minutes when playing as a centre forward for Fulham in the Championship. That is actually superior to Mitrovic in terms on goals mer minutes, albeit from a smaller sample size.

So the stats point to Kamara being more than good enough as a back up striker in the current situation (he is likely good enough as a starter in almost every other Championship team). Stats of course don't paint a complete picture, but it can be helpful in mitigating potential bias in opinions.
Much appreciated SOTN - that has cheered me up and surprised me. AK's header against QPR was scored with such finesse that I was shocked & wondered whether I'd misjudged him