watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hector and Odoi

Started by ByTheRiver, January 03, 2020, 09:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

A bit leftfield perhaps (I know Ream is a fans favourite and Mawson was the big money saviour), but I've been doing some thinking about combinations going forward and I genuinely think these two would be our best CB pairing.

A good blend of aerial ability, pace, reading the game and playing out from the back. I feel Ream's team, like K-MAc, has now passed (his level has dipped far too consistently) and Mawson, sadly, has never looked remotely the same player as he was before the injury/before he joined. Very little pace, turns like an oil tanker, not the best with the ball at his feet and doesn't have enough of the resolute Tony Adams/John Terry' type out and out defending to make up for it.

Hector (once settled, appreciate he is an unknown entity at the moment!) and Odoi for me.

Thoughts/abuse/ridicule?

JimOG

I understand your point but with Bryan at left back we would be exposed to any side who carried an aerial threat. I could see those two + Ream in a 3-5-2. Look at the size of Reading's Back 4 - no wonder teams have struggled to score against them.

Facts Not Fiction

Odoi is best at full back for me, considering Christie's defensive frailties.

I think we've got to give Mawson a go, on his favoured LCB position, along with Hector, and see how that effects the whole defence for the rest of the season.

MrFFC

Personally think best back 4 is

Odoi Hector Mawson Bryan
Come on you Whites!! :)

filham

Parker now has a big decision to make regarding our back four, he needs to settle on his best line up pretty quickly as we cannot afford to play around trying all different permutations between now and Easter.
Personally not having seen Hector play I will not offer an opinion but I will be a little sorry if Ream has to drop out as I do enjoy watching him play.

We Are Premier League

Quote from: MrFFC on January 03, 2020, 11:54:28 AM

Odoi Hector Mawson Bryan

:plus one:

Whitestone

Denis Odoi has been great. But a centre back he isn't. For a start off he's only 5'8" give or take an inch. He just doesn't have the stature for the role and only took up the position by default in the magnificent 23 game unbeaten run in the promotion season when he excelled. But that was two years ago. Odoi and Ream are no longer the answer. Personally I think they've been a big part of problem at the back. As a consequence of fitting Ream into the system Alfie Mawson has been played out of position. Sure he has made the odd mistake playing out from the back but so do other centre halves in top Premier League sides.

The sooner we start playing players in their favoured position the sooner we are likely to see an improvement. So I would like to see Mawson and Hector given the time forge the partnership that has been missing since the days of Hughes and Hangeland. Full backs continue to disappoint. Recruitment is needed on both sides. I like Joe Bryan but like so many of our defenders, his strength is going forward, not defending. For now Christie and Bryan are for me the best we have. Fortunately we have an excellent goalkeeper in Rodak.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Whitestone on January 03, 2020, 01:47:40 PM
Denis Odoi has been great. But a centre back he isn't. For a start off he's only 5'8" give or take an inch. He just doesn't have the stature for the role and only took up the position by default in the magnificent 23 game unbeaten run in the promotion season when he excelled. But that was two years ago. Odoi and Ream are no longer the answer. Personally I think they've been a big part of problem at the back. As a consequence of fitting Ream into the system Alfie Mawson has been played out of position. Sure he has made the odd mistake playing out from the back but so do other centre halves in top Premier League sides.

The sooner we start playing players in their favoured position the sooner we are likely to see an improvement. So I would like to see Mawson and Hector given the time forge the partnership that has been missing since the days of Hughes and Hangeland. Full backs continue to disappoint. Recruitment is needed on both sides. I like Joe Bryan but like so many of our defenders, his strength is going forward, not defending. For now Christie and Bryan are for me the best we have. Fortunately we have an excellent goalkeeper in Rodak.

Fair. I do agree with all of this. On paper, Mawson and Hector are obviously the best pairing and the best two individual CBs. I hope I'm wrong, and that the move back to LCB rather than RCB, helps Mawson rediscover his form, but I'm not convinced that (quite bad) injuries haven't taken their toll and that we may never see the player we thought we had purchased. As I say, I hope I'm wrong though.

ByTheRiver

Odoi Hector Mawson Bryan

Again, fair. I don't disagree if Mawson finds form definitely this. I guess I was coming from a place of, if he continues as he has, would it be better to have the bit of recovery pace, enthusiasm and ball playing ability that Odoi brings.

That said, I won't miss the Cruyff turns on the edge of our box from a few years ago if Odoi was dropped/left at FB...

Woolly Mammoth

Too many mistakes in Odoi's game to make him a permanent place CB plus his lack of height in the long term, but RB as it stands is his best bet. Prefer Mawson on the left where he is more comfortable and with Hector alongside him could bring the best out of him, and we need their height.
I would persevere with Bryan as his pluses far outweigh his minuses. So in the absence of any further additions and injury, I would settle for Odio, Hector, Mawson, Bryan.
However, if I had my way, I would bring in at least one more defender, a full back preferably right sided who can actually defend.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 03, 2020, 01:59:59 PM
Too many mistakes in Odoi's game to make him a permanent place CB plus his lack of height in the long term, but RB as it stands is his best bet. Prefer Mawson on the left where he is more comfortable and with Hector alongside him could bring the best out of him, and we need their height.
I would persevere with Bryan as his pluses far outweigh his minuses. So in the absence of any further additions and injury, I would settle for Odio, Hector, Mawson, Bryan.
However, if I had my way, I would bring in at least one more defender, a full back preferably right sided who can actually defend.

Yeah, as my replies above, I do kind of agree. If the move positively affects Mawson's form, then 100% this is the route.

With you on right back although I feel Odoi could do a job here? Potentially Sess too? He does seem to have played CB at various youth levels which suggests he should be better defensively than going forward. Still very early though, as his mistakes earlier in the season showed. I think we could get away with Odoi/Sess/Christie at RB if the CB situation resolves itself (and both play to form)

Dr Quinzel

So much really depends on Hector, so it's hard to say. I don't have a good feeling about playing Odoi at centre half though.

Statto

Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 03, 2020, 01:57:02 PM
On paper, Mawson and Hector are obviously the best pairing and the best two individual CBs.

Indeed. And I'm not inclined to judge players on their current form. Yes, it's how they play on the pitch that matters, not their reputation on paper, but there are currently so many FFC players doing worse on the pitch than they are on paper, that I'm having trouble attributing to the players themselves rather than Parker or some other club-level factor. So I would just go with the best back 4 on paper.

toshes mate

Odoi Hector Mawson Bryan
Could you remind me when they played together in this formation to make you so sure? 

I'd actually consider centre back partnerships in the same way as any other partnership - if it works it is good - and that wouldn't necessarily discount Hector playing alongside Odoi all possibility taken into account, would it?

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Statto on January 03, 2020, 02:23:52 PM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 03, 2020, 01:57:02 PM
On paper, Mawson and Hector are obviously the best pairing and the best two individual CBs.

Indeed. And I'm not inclined to judge players on their current form. Yes, it's how they play on the pitch that matters, not their reputation on paper, but there are currently so many FFC players doing worse on the pitch than they are on paper, that I'm having trouble attributing to the players themselves rather than Parker or some other club-level factor. So I would just go with the best back 4 on paper.

Quite. It's all a bit of a mess, isn't it?

Bill2

On Wednesday I thought Odoi was our best defender, someone here criticised his height, but he can jump and is prepared to let the forward know he is there. But what really made him stand out was his awareness, he was more aware of what was happening around him and showed a level of intelligence which has not been there previously and he can take the ball forward better than Tim Ream.
A lot of central defenders have not been the tallest of players but what he lacks in height he makes up for in his awareness.