more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Archer Signs For Fulham

Started by sussexwhite, January 16, 2020, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sussexwhite

Archer Signs For Fulham

The Club is pleased to confirm the signing of goalkeeper Jordan Archer on a free transfer.

Archer, 26, has agreed a deal that keeps him at Fulham until the end of the season, with the Club holding an option to extend by a further 12 months.

Speaking to the official website, Archer said: "I've been watching a lot of Championship football this year, and Fulham are playing good, attractive football.

"There are top quality players here, so to be a part of this group is something I couldn't turn down."

Tony Khan added: "I'm happy to welcome Jordan to Fulham, adding more depth in this position with a player who has a lot of Championship experience is very positive, and I know he'll get the best welcome from everyone within the Club and in the stands. Come on Fulham!"

After coming through Tottenham Hotspur's academy, Archer sampled first team football during a number of loan spells, before a permanent move to Millwall in the summer of 2015.

Archer immediately established himself as the Lions' number one, winning their player of the season award in his maiden campaign.

The following year he was a key figure in their promotion to the Championship, and he departed the Den at the end of last season having made 166 appearances for the club.

He took in a short term deal with Oxford United recently, securing three clean sheets in six league outings.

Capped at senior level by Scotland, Archer made his international debut in May 2018.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/january/16/jordan-archer-signs-for-fulham

Archer: Absolute Honour

Jordan Archer needed no convincing when he was made aware of Fulham's interest in his services.

The goalkeeper penned what is initially a short-term contract this week, something he was delighted to get over the line.

When asked what made Craven Cottage such an attractive proposition, he said: "The stature of the Club.

"For years it's been an attractive football club. The Gaffer's come in and got them playing good football, and that's something I want to buy into. When Fulham came in it was a no-brainer.

"I'm buzzing now. I was raring to get it done. I got the call earlier in the week to come in and do the medical.

"It's a fantastic club, I've played against them a few times so I know some of the boys here. This season they're doing well, so it's an absolute honour to be part of it.

"I've been watching a lot of Championship football this year, and Fulham are playing good, attractive football.

"There are top quality players here, so to be a part of this group is something I couldn't turn down."

Having come through Tottenham Hotspur's academy, Archer already knows Scott Parker and Goalkeeping Coach Rob Burch, and he is also well aware of the talent he'll be competing with between the sticks.

"I know Burchy, I worked with him when we were back at Spurs, quite a few years ago when I was a youth team player," he explained.

"I know Scotty Parker – or the Gaffer I should say – as I was a young lad when he was there, so that should help me transition.

"I've played against Betts a few times – he's a top, top 'keeper. I've been watching Fulham this season and Marek's come in and has done a fantastic job as well, so it's a strong group.

"I'm going to add competition to that, and I'm sure we'll bounce off each other."

Archer joins a Fulham side sitting fourth in the league, but he remains confident that his new side can challenge for automatic promotion.

"We've got a strong squad," he stated. "The Championship gets harder every single year. There's a lot of top teams in it and it's a long old season.

"I've played a few seasons in the Championship and teams do have dips in form, but if we can go on a good run and maintain that level, with the quality we've got in the squad, then I've no doubt the boys will be in and around it."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/january/16/jordan-archer-absolute-honour

KeenCottager

junior white

ByTheRiver

Quote from: junior white on January 16, 2020, 10:48:02 AM
What an awful signing

What an awful comment. A Fulham player who hasn't even trained let alone worn the shirt.

He's not come in to be first choice. He (hopefully) won't need to play a game. He is cheap cover with some experience of the league, but yeah, maybe we should have bought Allison or Ederson to sit on our bench..

The likely scenario is he has come in as cover, allowing us to make cash on a player who no longer gets into the team, to strengthen areas where we do need starters and/or strong cover. Which makes the team as a whole better and more likely to gain promotion. Simple, really.

Dr Quinzel

One of those where you hope you never see him play. You don't get great backups and you want your number one to play ever week.

Hopefully Betts has found himself some first team football.

ffcthereligion

Was absolutely shocking against us a few years ago hoping he will be second choice to Rodak

Sting of the North

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 16, 2020, 11:32:21 AM
Was absolutely shocking against us a few years ago hoping he will be second choice to Rodak

I thought it was obvious he is at best second choice? The comments by TK certainly doesn't suggest anything else than that.

filham

Well I guess a play off place is now dependent on Rodak avoiding injury for the rest of the season.

Mince n Tatties

Welcome to Fulham Robin Hood.😜

ALG01

I do not recallhiman d  have no idea how good or bad he is so will assess when I see.
I have nmoted  many very negative comments on people that claim to know so that is not a good start. I also note that TK was thrilled with the signingo f Fabri and Rico, two very poor choices, so have to be extremely cautious in our leadership's ability in getting in a new keeper.

I also have to assume Betts is now surplus to requirements, although contrary to some very disappointing comments about him on this MB I cannot see a great deal of difference between him and Rodak and suspect they will have very similar long term careers. It is a shame Betts did not even play in the game V Villa because clearly he should have if he was staying.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: ALG01 on January 16, 2020, 11:48:56 AM
It is a shame Betts did not even play in the game V Villa because clearly he should have if he was staying.

In normal circumstances, perhaps, but it was Hector's first game, so does it not make sense to start building that understanding between keeper and first choice CB in matches as quickly as possible? Definitely. Hence no Betts.

grandad

Just watched a compilation of his errors from 2017/2018 season. Not pretty viewing.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ffcthereligion

Quote from: grandad on January 16, 2020, 11:58:36 AM
Just watched a compilation of his errors from 2017/2018 season. Not pretty viewing.

For anybody who fancies it. Includes the hapless spill to Sessegnon which is probably the best moment he ll give us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-8oxiI0q-k

junior white

Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 16, 2020, 11:21:04 AM
What an awful signing

What an awful comment. A Fulham player who hasn't even trained let alone worn the shirt.

He's not come in to be first choice. He (hopefully) won't need to play a game. He is cheap cover with some experience of the league, but yeah, maybe we should have bought Allison or Ederson to sit on our bench..

The likely scenario is he has come in as cover, allowing us to make cash on a player who no longer gets into the team, to strengthen areas where we do need starters and/or strong cover. Which makes the team as a whole better and more likely to gain promotion. Simple, really.
If he is in as a number 3 with Rodak and Norman above him then fine, but as back up, simply for me not good enough. You dont leave Millwall, then train and play in league 1 with Southend and oxford if your good. Yes some good keepers have come from league 1 Dan Bentley for one but you work up not down then up.

As for signing Alison and Emerson did i say that NO, pathetic comment by yourself. Betts is a good keeper similar to Rodak why let him go if Archer is the replacement. Yesterday on this forum people were saying the same as me, did you have a pop at them too?

charlieFFC

Incredibly underwhelming if not outright disappointing signing.

Then again wouldn't be Fulham if we didn't have at least one "flappy" keeper on our books at all times...

Matt10

Like some have said, hopefully we won't need to use him as Rodak is our #1. However, if he puts on the shirt, he gets my support.

Maybe he can regain this form

Sting of the North

What do people want?

Assuming that Betts has been told that he's allowed to leave if a suitable offer comes in (which would be reasonable from the club given his loyalty through the years), would people want us to splash the cash on a back up goalie? Who would even want to come here in January to play second (third) fiddle to Rodak (and Norman)? A solution such as this is common, isn't it? Find a cheap, available keeper with some experience who can step up in case of an emergency.

If anything, question the potential sale of Betts, not the acquisition of Archer. In my opinion.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: junior white on January 16, 2020, 12:12:15 PM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 16, 2020, 11:21:04 AM
What an awful signing

If he is in as a number 3 with Rodak and Norman above him then fine, but as back up, simply for me not good enough. You dont leave Millwall, then train and play in league 1 with Southend and oxford if your good. Yes some good keepers have come from league 1 Dan Bentley for one but you work up not down then up.

As for signing Alison and Emerson did i say that NO, pathetic comment by yourself. Betts is a good keeper similar to Rodak why let him go if Archer is the replacement. Yesterday on this forum people were saying the same as me, did you have a pop at them too?

I wasn't singling you out. I did point out having two keepers of similar ability helps no one. It doesn't work. It didn't at Liverpool back when it was Westerveld and someone or Dudek and Kirkland. If Rodak is our number one, and it is clear he is, then we can't really afford to keep Betts (and nor is it fair on him). If letting Betts go means we get a good RB or cover for Mitro or whatever position you feel we should strengthen, would you be happy?

Bringing in someone as good/similar level to Rodak doesn't help anyones confidence and you end up chopping and changing every time there's the slightest error (as we have done with Button and Betts, Fabri/Rico/Betts and everyone since Scwartzer, really.

It's time to pick a number one (Rodak is young, doing brilliantly and will only get better) and then have a youth (Norman) and some cheap cover (Archer). As I said in original post, hopefully he doesn't need to play a single game.

The 'awful comment' was a play on your 'awful signing'. Not every signing is a first team, marquee player. 

sarvenpa

Bettinelli liked Archers signing on Instagram.

Maybe MB is just injured?

Well....we`ll know soon.