https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR what should clubs do in regards to climate change eg Forest green

Started by Huxley, January 22, 2020, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: toshes mate on January 23, 2020, 12:21:23 PM
@GloucesterWhite

I would suggest you stop being so quick to judge others without basis.

No stored electricity has been reliably tested other than supplying the National Grid which include numerous others e.g. wind and solar farms etc.

Cryopower is an innovative stored electricity project, not on demand electricity i.e. it has to be released to replace an already existing source about to be withdrawn and all systems need that base on demand lower limit which is why with have huge power stations to deliver it reliably.  That is why we do not have hydroelectric as a reliable base on demand supply which could be fantastic if we could find a way to do it.

If you go back to my original posting you will see that I argue with your comment: "electricity cannot be economically stored". It can, Cryopower does that. Not sure how pointing that out means I am being "so quick to judge others without basis"?

You also say "No stored electricity has been reliably tested other than supplying the National Grid". Surely supplying the Grid is exactly what is wanted? The problem until now with 'green' power (wind/solar) is that supply is intermittent and therefore cannot be relied upon to supply most/all of the country's power, Cryopower solves that problem.

Ged

Quote from: sarnian on January 23, 2020, 03:51:17 PM
What to believe and what to not believe that is the question.

I keep hearing that the likes of the Maldives islands will disappear under water in a few year time. If so can someone please explain the following.

So who do we believe the prophets of doom who say who say the likes of the Maldives will disappear or the governments of these type of islands that are expanding year on year.

I would start with the government of the Maldives.     https://www.newscientist.com/article/2125198-on-front-line-of-climate-change-as-maldives-fights-rising-seas/amp/

toshes mate

Quote from: Ged on January 23, 2020, 04:54:40 PM

I keep hearing that the likes of the Maldives islands will disappear under water in a few year time. If so can someone please explain the following.

So who do we believe the prophets of doom who say who say the likes of the Maldives will disappear or the governments of these type of islands that are expanding year on year.

I would start with the government of the Maldives.     https://www.newscientist.com/article/2125198-on-front-line-of-climate-change-as-maldives-fights-rising-seas/amp/
Or you could consider this http://www.marklynas.org/2012/04/where-sea-level-rise-isnt-what-it-seems/

Luka

*Every street within a one mile radius of a ground should be planted and lined with trees.
*All transport to away matches for the team to be 100% non fossil fuel powered.
*All food and consumer goods sold on match days to be sourced from within 25 mile radius of the club.

Quick and simple contributions for any cub.

Ged

Quote from: toshes mate on January 23, 2020, 05:05:30 PM
Quote from: Ged on January 23, 2020, 04:54:40 PM

Or you could consider this http://www.marklynas.org/2012/04/where-sea-level-rise-isnt-what-it-seems/
Good read I totally agree with him
"This leads to important communications issues, of course.  So whilst I have no truck with sceptics like Nils-Axel Mörner, who use highly-questionable anecdotes in one small area to 'prove' that the entire global rise in sea levels isn't happening, I do feel that any degree of exaggeration simply leaves an open goal for sceptics to belittle the real challenges these island countries face. It is therefore counter-productive as well as dishonest"

toshes mate

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on January 23, 2020, 04:40:27 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 23, 2020, 12:21:23 PM
@GloucesterWhite

I would suggest you stop being so quick to judge others without basis.

No stored electricity has been reliably tested other than supplying the National Grid which include numerous others e.g. wind and solar farms etc.

Cryopower is an innovative stored electricity project, not on demand electricity i.e. it has to be released to replace an already existing source about to be withdrawn and all systems need that base on demand lower limit which is why with have huge power stations to deliver it reliably.  That is why we do not have hydroelectric as a reliable base on demand supply which could be fantastic if we could find a way to do it.

If you go back to my original posting you will see that I argue with your comment: "electricity cannot be economically stored". It can, Cryopower does that. Not sure how pointing that out means I am being "so quick to judge others without basis"?

You also say "No stored electricity has been reliably tested other than supplying the National Grid". Surely supplying the Grid is exactly what is wanted? The problem until now with 'green' power (wind/solar) is that supply is intermittent and therefore cannot be relied upon to supply most/all of the country's power, Cryopower solves that problem.
I didn't write the quote you attribute to me because you messed up the copying.  I nave never said electricity cannot be economically stored since reservoirs and dams do a pretty damn good job.

But okay, where does the energy required to supply the Cryopower project to start the process up?  Once it is going it is fine since it is highly innovative and rather clever but it is going to go offline for maintenance and you could argue it can be chained to and run in tandem with other Cryopower generators supplying restart up power.  With several of these storage units it may even become close to being a perpetual motion machine but we know no such thing exists.     

Base load on demand is the bottom line and, at the moment, there is no viable alternative to large scale (preferably nuclear and gas turbine) generators which do the job extraordinarily well using reliable external fuel sources.  That is the key factor in everything about electricity e.g. if it cannot supply base load electricity reliably then it cannot keep essential services going and base load requires a tremendous amount of power which these projects simply do not yield.  You can attach no end of small projects to the reliable base load to clean up energy production but we still have the problem of where base load comes from.  France have been really innovative for years but they still rely on nuclear for base load because it is a magnitude problem not a quantity problem.   

MikeW

I live just over a mile from FGR's ground in Nailsworth - a delightful working country town.  The ground is at the top of a very long hill which even the most modern buses wheeze up and on match day becomes a parking nightmare for visitors and residents alike.  The surrounding area is totally housing.

As a location it is no more inappropriate than the Cottage so they decided to move to a 'green field' site next to the M5 - just upwind from Gloucestershire's spanking new waste incinerator - which generates electricity I might add.

The stadium is scheduled to be made of wood and looks very impressive.  And yes, Vegan burgers and pies will feature. But how many trees will be lost?

I just wonder as an old cynic how much a football team making such a drastic move (which I suspect will lose them support) actually feels it is contributing the the wider eco thing.  It all seems very commercially motivated to me.

The old ground will be sold for housing
All the costs and disruption associated with demolition
Creating a large infrastructure around the new ground (with a massive car park and a few token plug in points no doubt)
.... and maybe a team that ends up back in the Conference once the owner gets bored.

You can tell I'm not fully signed up to this sustainable lark.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

john dempsey

do you think if sea levels rise as predicted
the human race should just go with the flow?

Logicalman

Quote from: Luka on January 23, 2020, 05:07:33 PM
*Every street within a one mile radius of a ground should be planted and lined with trees.
*All food and consumer goods sold on match days to be sourced from within 25 mile radius of the club.

Quick and simple contributions for any cub.

Slight changes to above:
*Every street within a one mile radius of a ground should be razed and replaced with bike parking, play areas and public transport terminus.

Solves any issues with local residents! :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Woolly Mammoth

I blame those Native American Indian tribes for all those thousands maybe even millions of Smoke Signals from top of a hill with the help of a small fire and a horse blanket. They started all this and it's all their fault along with all the hot air that brazen twit Jim White from Sky Sports bellows out every time he is on screen, is he a bit mutton.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Logicalman

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 24, 2020, 12:50:43 AM
I blame those Native American Indian tribes for all those thousands maybe even millions of Smoke Signals from top of a hill with the help of a small fire and a horse blanket. They started all this and it's all their fault along with all the hot air that brazen twit Jim White from Sky Sports bellows out every time he is on screen, is he a bit mutton.

.. as in dressed up as someone who has a clue, you mean?  or is that lamb?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Logicalman on January 24, 2020, 12:53:06 AM

Mutton ? short for Mutt and Jeff, Cockney slang for Deaf.

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

On a more serious note,apparently stockings and suspenders are to make  comeback this summer,as girls ditch their tight jeans for flowing summer dresses..... :drums:

Dr Quinzel

Get rid of those clappers for a start. Although cynically that would mean less advertising space for the club, so....

The re-usable beer glasses I assume are much better than throwing away 1000's of plastic glasses every week. The beer seemed better for it too, although not much  :beer:

I wouldn't be surprised to see an electronic ticket system for single tickets come in soon as many other countries have. Although with the poor reception around the Cottage I can imagine the teething problems with that.

A friend in the Reading end over Christmas had his Wife with him - she's veggie. She couldn't find anything for her to eat. It isn't exactly traditional to have vegetarian food or vegan food, but it wouldn't hurt to offer a few more options in that regard. I'm not really a big 'eat the stadium' person, but some are and if the choice is there, maybe some will take it up.

Southdowns White

Anything we can do either as individuals or as a collective to help our planet and the welfare of it's people should be considered.  Older people (not all) are living way too long and too many humans are still being born.   Humans are just a blip in the timescale of the world, the world will regenerate again long after we have destroyed ourselves in the quest for financial wealth.
       I am sure there will be some catastrophic event either man made or natural or disease that will remove a large % of the worlds population, it has happened time after time through the history of man. The forests will grow again pollution will drop and the world can start again.   
The only thing we need to worry about is do you want to be one of the dead ones or one of the poor souls who are left.
Enjoy your weekend everyone and don't forget to switch that light off and put your recycling out for collection. COYWs

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Southdowns White on January 24, 2020, 10:55:08 AM
Anything we can do either as individuals or as a collective to help our planet and the welfare of it's people should be considered.  Older people (not all) are living way too long and too many humans are still being born.   Humans are just a blip in the timescale of the world, the world will regenerate again long after we have destroyed ourselves in the quest for financial wealth.
       I am sure there will be some catastrophic event either man made or natural or disease that will remove a large % of the worlds population, it has happened time after time through the history of man. The forests will grow again pollution will drop and the world can start again.   
The only thing we need to worry about is do you want to be one of the dead ones or one of the poor souls who are left.
Enjoy your weekend everyone and don't forget to switch that light off and put your recycling out for collection. COYWs

Why don't you go one step further and make it compulsory for anyone over a certain age after working all their life paying taxes and national insurance and into personal pensions. To form an orderly queue at Beachy Head and all throw themselves off the cliffs like lemmings do.
Better still show a good example and go first, I am sure you will get a round of applause. But I won't be following you.
Are you a descendant of Attila The Hun.
Too much scare mongering for my liking. Rather than punish the elderly for having the audacity to live longer. Would it not be more sensible to slow down the population growth from the inception onwards, by preventing rather than finding a solution afterwards, you could try educating the Catholic Church, that would be your first job, but do it before you leap off Beachy Head to Elysium, just a thought as you brought it up, and when you make these suggestions you have to set an example, you cannot ask people to do something you would not.
So off you go to Elysium.

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

A couple of ideas to make things more eco friendly, easy ones.
At all grounds
1. All weekend and bank holiday games to be played during full daylight hours.
2. Away support includes cost of coach or rail travel (or both) to cut down on the amount of under populated vehicles being driven
3. Turn the volume down on the majority of tannoy systems in the grounds. Maybe it will not save much power but it will make the expereince better, we can rarely talk for the din of the music
4. Turn off the big screens. we do not need instant replays and the score being shown whilst the game is on.
5. We sit behind the press box, turn off their monitors of which there are plenty.

At every game there are a plethora of correspondents and media people. restrict it, they can use common people to do the same job. E.G BBC london has a reporter at the game as does BB 5 live, you don't need both. and radio huddersfield can use the BBC london man when their team is in town.... and do we need 5 live and talk sport to cover the same game every time....

if you want to reduce carbon footprint you have to consider everything. and these are quick wins.

Southdowns White

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 24, 2020, 11:44:38 AM
Quote from: Southdowns White on January 24, 2020, 10:55:08 AM

Why don't you go one step further and make it compulsory for anyone over a certain age after working all their life paying taxes and national insurance and into personal pensions. To form an orderly queue at Beachy Head and all throw themselves off the cliffs like lemmings do.
Better still show a good example and go first, I am sure you will get a round of applause. But I won't be following you.
Are you a descendant of Attila The Hun.
Too much scare mongering for my liking. Rather than punish the elderly for having the audacity to live longer. Would it not be more sensible to slow down the population growth from the inception onwards, by preventing rather than finding a solution afterwards, you could try educating the Catholic Church, that would be your first job, but do it before you leap off Beachy Head to Elysium, just a thought as you brought it up, and when you make these suggestions you have to set an example, you cannot ask people to do something you would not.
So off you go to Elysium.
I'm sure you must know me, some of the things you say are things I've talked about before with friends. There is every chance I am related to Attila the Hun, was he that bad? he helped get rid of the Roman empire and What did the Romans ever do for us? Okay forget that question. I never suggested old people walking or being pushed off Beachy head, even though I don't live that far away, How did you know about my Catholic heritage?  I wouldn't like to go first in the line as I am naturally helpful and would be one of the people helping get people in line.
I would love all football clubs to show a greener side as I think they could be an excellent example to so many other businesses and individuals, unfortunately most clubs can't get it right on the green pitch let alone getting it right for the planet. I'm sure things will work out better in the end. 
While were on the subject, Anyone else had lots of adverts recently from airlines and holiday companies about taking a trip to Australia, Slightly bizarre that one considering the terrible fires and floods they've had recently.

Logicalman

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 24, 2020, 01:38:28 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on January 24, 2020, 12:53:06 AM

Mutton ? short for Mutt and Jeff, Cockney slang for Deaf.

I know what you meant, I was assigning the other term it is used for as it was appropriate for the thread.  :005: