watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The reaction to last nights result

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, January 23, 2020, 08:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

After the game, I came on here expecting most people to be cautiously satisfied with the point gained. Instead I saw all sorts of criticism of our performance, season and manager.

The following I think is pertinent:

- we have a lot of injuries especially up front
- we were playing away from home
- the opposition as they were in the reverse fixture proved to be stubborn. They have a manager who I hate from his playing days but I would say appears to be a canny head coach tactics wise.
- we shut them out - they didn't have any clear chances I think.

I think a point was reasonable from this fixture.

We have a rookie manager who has got us to within touching distance of auto promotion half way through the season. I would have taken this position if someone would have asked me at the start of the campaign.

Mince n Tatties

Yes you have to laugh, there's a few Managers on here after every game telling Scotty where he went wrong..😁😁😁

Baszab

Agree with OP

Thought we played and managed the game well
0-0 was an acceptable plan with the team set up and availability
Nick a goal if we could at the end

Thought the players looked like they knew they wouldn't score after about 70 minutes and took the draw

Will need something more dynamic in the playoffs but assume some of the forwards will be fit again soon

RaySmith

Well, Charlton could have quite easily broken away and scored on against the run of play, if we'd completely thrown caution to the  winds going for a result in the final minutes.

Though Scott put on Stansfield up front, only not  much time for him to make an impression.

toshes mate

This Boards hysterical reaction to last nights result seemingly includes this delusional perspective.  What one earth has happened to sanity?

Whitestone

I thought the board was quite balanced last night. Definitely wouldn't describe it as hysterical. Certainly didn't go into meltdown. Posters were not surprisingly frustrated/disappointed with the result but many posters were realistic given the way Charlton set up and our lack of firepower due to injuries.

Statto

Two most pertinent points in the OP, which largely explain both the result and our season so far -

"They have... a canny head coach"

"We have a rookie manager"

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on January 23, 2020, 08:01:30 AM
After the game, once I'd finished my Shisha, I came on here expecting most people to be cautiously satisfied with the point gained. Instead I saw all sorts

The following I think is pertinent:
- we have a lot of injuries especially up front
- we were playing away from home
- the opposition as they were in the reverse fixture proved to be stubborn. They have a manager who I hate from his playing days but I would say appears to be a canny head coach tactics wise.
- we shut them out - they didn't have any clear chances I think.

I think a point was reasonable from this fixture.

We have a rookie manager who has got us to within touching distance of auto promotion half way through the season. I would have taken this position if someone would have asked me at the start of the campaign.

The front three that we had on the field are worth a combined value of £21m, which more than Charlton's entire playing squad worth £17m. Even with injuries, the combined value of our matchday 18 is around £80m, which is still more than any other team in the league's entire squad. When parachute payments end in May 2021, we will be in exactly the same financial position as QPR and Middlesbrough were at the start of this season. We would be like every other Championship Club, with a rich owner that wants to put more money into the club but cannot due to FFP.

As you pointed out, they have canny head coach tactics wise and we have a rookie manager. I agree Scott Parker is awesome as a rookie manager, but he isn't as good as an experienced manager. And, the only standard Parker should be measured against is that of an experienced manager because we can afford one.

Parker will only stay at this club as long as the club is big enough for him, and as a rookie manager he is rising fast but we may be falling as we get closer to the date parachute payments end and our budget is the same as QPRs.

Whitestone

Hardly a 'canny manager'. Parker and Bowyer are both 'rookie managers'. It's not rocket science to set a limited team like Charlton up to park the bus against a side with the talent we have at our disposal. I'm sure we'll see more of it. Fortunately we have quality players to come back. Charlton were at home and played with no ambition.

HV71

My only real disappointment with last night was the substitutions . We were crying out for a change up top - but SP decided not to 'gamble ' with his rookie centre forward until 3 minutes from the end . Compare this to his opposite number who changed it with twenty minutes to go. Parker gave Stansfield 10 minutes in the cup against Villa but clearly wasn't prepared to go for it against lower opposition in a game when 3 points were really needed to add pressure on the top two.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Whitestone on January 23, 2020, 09:29:10 AM
Hardly a 'canny manager'. Parker and Bowyer are both 'rookie managers'. It's not rocket science to set a limited team like Charlton up to park the bus against a side with the talent we have at our disposal. I'm sure we'll see more of it. Fortunately we have quality players to come back. Charlton were at home and played with no ambition.

Now our defense is better, other managers see the easiest way to get points is now to "Park the Bus" or "The Double Bus". Bowyer is a canny manager as he followed the Sam Allardyce Tactics 101 method, most of the best 10,000 football managers in the UK have used these tactics from time to time.

Lighthouse

Not so much hysterical but some always are looking for someone to blame. Can't blame it on the long injury list so blame it on the coach or the lack of effort or whatever. I am afraid frustration and the instant gratification culture means football like everything else has to have instant results and instant opinion and criticism.

We didn't play well and yet got a point. That is a point earned away from home for me.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Whitestone

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 23, 2020, 09:34:25 AM

Now our defense is better and our attack is weaker, other managers see the easiest way to get points is now to "Park the Bus" or "The Double Bus".

I think you're right. Fortunately our attack won't be weak for much longer. We have more than enough quality in the squad to unlock teams like Charlton when all of our forwards are available, which won't be long now.

filham

Three league games on the bounce with the clean sheets and the outstanding centre back that we have craved for so long but we are not happy. We now realise that a lack of goals is worse than a leaky defence and that Ried is a not a goalscorer or capable of standing in for Mitro or even Kamara.

We are aware that we have to play more league matches without a match fit Mitro or Kamara and can see no solution to the goalscoring problem, us fans are frustrated hence last night's reaction.

A lack of goals is a more difficult problem for Parker than a leaky defence was.

Statto

Quote from: Whitestone on January 23, 2020, 09:39:12 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 23, 2020, 09:34:25 AM

Now our defense is better and our attack is weaker, other managers see the easiest way to get points is now to "Park the Bus" or "The Double Bus".

I think you're right. Fortunately our attack won't be weak for much longer. We have more than enough quality in the squad to unlock teams like Charlton when all of our forwards are available, which won't be long now.

We had more than enough quality last night. Cavaleiro, Reid, Bryan (as LW) and Cairney is a front 4 most of (if not all) the other teams in this division would give their back teeth for

FFC1987

I could understand you suggesting people are hysterical if calling for Parkers head was mentioned, sacking TK or saying it was a disaster, doom and gloom scenario, but the overwhelmin responses, including my own said it was a poor performance and a missed opportunity which, I'm not sure how else you can describe it. Charlton hadn't kept a clean sheet in 11 games, (I think) and are 20th in form table so it's not unreasonable with this team to think 3 points was what should be expected. Oh well, just need to rely on other teams slipping up again to keep us within distance as slipping back after playing Charlton is hardly a good thing for a team hunting for automatic.

PaddyAddick

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 23, 2020, 10:28:46 AM
I could understand you suggesting people are hysterical if calling for Parkers head was mentioned, sacking TK or saying it was a disaster, doom and gloom scenario, but the overwhelmin responses, including my own said it was a poor performance and a missed opportunity which, I'm not sure how else you can describe it. Charlton hadn't kept a clean sheet in 11 games, (I think) and are 20th in form table so it's not unreasonable with this team to think 3 points was what should be expected. Oh well, just need to rely on other teams slipping up again to keep us within distance as slipping back after playing Charlton is hardly a good thing for a team hunting for automatic.

To be fair, we're undefeated against the top five sides in the league.

Luka

It was a dire game of football to watch and Charlton were really poor quality.
We were clueless in the final third.
We lacked flair, energy and imagination.

Not hysterical.....just want to at be entertained (and thats a minimum requirement) !

The Rational Fan

I think we are hysterical because we have finally fixed our defense only to find we cannot unlock teams with a double bus.

sunburywhite

God forbid what you will all be like next season if we get promoted and start getting slapped 6-0 by Liverpool

I would quite happily settle now for defeat at Wembley and another year in a division where any team can beat the other team as there are no fancy money swilling, money laundering tycoon

Or perhaps you might like the Khans to seel out to Isabel dos Santos (check her out) then we could buy all the best players in the world
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me