News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham squad to face City in FA cup match Sunday.

Started by charlieFFC, January 23, 2020, 11:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieFFC

Couldn't see a thread on this so thought it would be good to start one now, especially as we reflect on yesterdays squad as its tactics.

I am Normally an advocate of putting out a full strength team in the cup but City (away) are one of the few games I would just mix it up and not risk a further loss of players.

Also gives Parker a chance to try a different system, albeit against a quality side.

Interested to hear who people think we should play, and as someone who isn't fully up to speed on how are youth prospects rate, would be good to get better insight from those more knowledgeable.

Deeping_white

Rodak
Christie-Hector-Kongolo-Mawson-Stevie Sess
                  Arter—Kmac-MoR
                    MTC-Stansfield

Hector for more match fitness, same logic for Kongolo, Arter and Kmac. MoR because he should play more and two youngsters up front because the ones we've still got fit should be wrapped in cotton wool and left well away from Manchester

ByTheRiver

Like you, I'm usually one for full strength in the FA Cup (not so fussed with League Cup), build momentum, etc, but... Given our injury situation and the run of games, given the dire need to get promoted this year, and given the fact that City will now be taking the cup seriously to save their season now the league has all but gone (CL, league cup, FA cup treble looks okay on paper), I think we play the youngsters and fringe players.

Partly to preserve the players we need for the hard run but mostly (as there is a week after city game before the next game) for confidence. If we get whacked for six or similar with the full team, its not going to have a positive effect on confidence levels. If we get whacked and it's Stansfield, Riley, De La Torre, Cisse, etc, it's no real biggie and we move on. Easy for the manager to spin to the team then for the next game.

I would be amazed and disappointed if we go full strength tbh.

charlieFFC

Also being a fan of the same CBs + GK
- I would play Rodak - Hector - Ream (Mawson if he is fit, don't want to rush back) triangle as I feel we need to get a really solid understanding between those three positions and consistency is key. Would maybe play Betts but if he is leaving I definitely wouldn't bother.

Facts Not Fiction

Archer

Christie Mawson Kongolo Sessegnon

Arter Johansen O'Riley

de la Torre Stansfield Harris

twang

I'd go with this team:

Bettinelli                             
Christie - Hector - Mawson - Kongolo - Sessegnon
                 O'Riley - Arter - Johansen                 
                        Reid - Stansfield                       

charlieFFC

I'm actually liking the 5atb suggestions so far - think it allows us to build understanding, match fitness and cohesion at the back and give more cover for the youthful attack we may put out.

Should also be damage limitation in terms of a confidence hit.

FulhamStu

Quote from: twang on January 23, 2020, 12:19:03 PM
I'd go with this team:

Bettinelli                             
                        Reid - Stansfield                       

I totally agree with this defence, integrate Kongolo and lets see if he has quality, I would maybe play Ream to get an understanding with Kongolo but have no issue with Mawson playing if he is fit enough.

As for the MF and Attack, would play Reid only if he is 100% otherwise another fringeU23 player.

fulhamben

Quote from: FulhamStu on January 23, 2020, 12:37:21 PM
I'd go with this team:

Bettinelli                             
                        Reid - Stansfield                       

I totally agree with this defence, integrate Kongolo and lets see if he has quality, I would maybe play Ream to get an understanding with Kongolo but have no issue with Mawson playing if he is fit enough.

As for the MF and Attack, would play Reid only if he is 100% otherwise another fringeU23 player.
i don't, hector is by far our best player at the moment, by far. Why risk him in a game that could end up in double digits
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

FulhamStu

Quote from: fulhamben on January 23, 2020, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: FulhamStu on January 23, 2020, 12:37:21 PM
I'd go with this team:

Bettinelli                             
                        Reid - Stansfield                       

i don't, hector is by far our best player at the moment, by far. Why risk him in a game that could end up in double digits

Because this still a very new defensive set up, if we can integrate Kongolo as well as we have Hector, winning 1-0 or similar on a regular basis could get us promoted.  Hector and Kongolo have had little football so far this season and games will help get them match fit.  If Hector is not 100% fit, like Reid, then I agree do not risk him.

The Rational Fan

Betts
     Hector  Mawson  Kongolo
Christie    Arter  O'Riley  S.Sess     
       Torres  Stansfield  Bryan

Bench: Archer, Cisse, Odoi, Stefjo, Onamah, Reid, MTC

ByTheRiver

Playing Hector is madness. Say we get smoked 7-0 and then he's not the same player for the rest of the season?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 23, 2020, 01:10:33 PM
Playing Hector is madness. Say we get smoked 7-0 and then he's not the same player for the rest of the season?

What's this ludicrousness fear of Man City.
Christ Sake Port Vale gave as good as they got for an hour against them...7-0 don't talk nonsense.
They're a football team not Gods.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 23, 2020, 01:34:59 PM

Christ Sake Port Vale gave as good as they got for an hour against them...7-0 don't talk nonsense.

I think if ManCity beat us 7-0, Hector should still believe he can keep a clean sheet against Huddersfield.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 23, 2020, 01:34:59 PM

Point taken. But that was before the FA Cup was much higher in their priority list and keen to save face. Given that we are massively, massively unlikely (about as likely as me spending a drunken, debauched, lost weekend with Taylor Swift) to win the cup, is it worth the risk? Why not play the fringe/youth players and negate that risk?

David Allen Crankshaw

Marek Rodak played against City with Rotherham last season and picked the ball out of the net seven times. Give Marcus a game. Playing Stansfield against City would be madness. Let's save him for the F.A, Youth Cup match against City in February when he could really make an impact.

filham

Not really fussed, it is a preservation/damage limitation exercise for sure.
However, the first name on the team sheet has to be Stansfield, we must see if he can do a job for us until Kamara and Mitro are match fit.

MrFFC

Will be similar squad to Charlton you would imagine with some young boys on the bench.

Team I would like to see would be

Rodak

Odoi     Hector   Kongolo

Christie                                           Bryan

Onomah    Arter   Johansen

Reid      Cavaleiro

Subs - Archer , Ream , Sess , McDonald , De La Torre , Harris , Stansfield
Come on you Whites!! :)

Fulhamfan666

We need to put the strongest team possible,.,..why not go for it ye know?

Statto

With all our injuries I'm struggling to name 11 second string  players.

There's a strong argument for just forfeiting this game.