more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Good Call

Started by Arthur, February 08, 2020, 05:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

Well done, Scott Parker.

You rode in the face of popular opinion calling for Kongolo to come into the side ahead of Ream and were repaid with a fourth consecutive clean sheet from the Hector/Ream pairing. Even more impressively, our opponents managed only one attempt on target - taking the cumulative total by our opponents in these four games to... four. (Out of interest, Huddersfield had eight shots on target last week.)

SP

I think we'll see Kongolo at Millwall.

ByTheRiver

The shaky defensive performance against Huddersfield last week was predicted here and entirely down to them getting their barrings again, after the first choice we're stupidly chosen and thrown to the wolves, in a nothing game against City. That only proved those people correct (as you are hoping this game proved the Ream fans correct). I didn't come on here to gloat though. Gotta have a bit of class.

FFCFOREVER

What a player Hector is looking like as well. Composed and assured on the ball. Ok, a couple of silly stray passes but what a difference he has made to the confidence in that back line and he has great control and passing ability. COYW.

Statto

Perhaps you have access to some indicator of popular opinion that I don't, but I'm not sure popular opinion was that Kongolo should start.

Starting Ream was the easy option, not the controversial one.

I didn't watch the game so have no idea whether we won because of, or despite, him playing. I'm guessing most commenting on here about Ream in the last half an hour are in the same position.

What I do know is that Ream is a very poor defender, and whilst we may get away with having him at CB for a while (maybe even until the end of the season, like we did with him and Odoi in 17/18) it will come crashing down on us sooner or later (like it did in 18/19)

ByTheRiver

Quote from: FFCFOREVER on February 08, 2020, 05:30:14 PM
What a player Hector is looking like as well. Composed and assured on the ball. Ok, a couple of silly stray passes but what a difference he has made to the confidence in that back line and he has great control and passing ability. COYW.

This. He has been nothing short of superb. There was a lot of expectation ahead of his debut but I'd say he's exceeding it at present. Lost count of the clearances today.

filham

The Odoi , Hector, Ream, Bryan, McDonald defence is looking pretty good . Just that two goal lapse against Huddersfield last week, but even then they held on to an odd goal lead for an hour. We are seeing better defensive performances than we have seen for a long time.
Well done and stay with it Scotty, it is beginning to look as if you may have cracked our major problem.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: SP on February 08, 2020, 05:27:22 PM

Only if he is fit, GJ said he was in pain and limped off at the final whistle.

BarryP

Quote from: filham on February 08, 2020, 05:37:50 PM
The Odoi , Hector, Ream, Bryan, McDonald defence is looking pretty good . Just that two goal lapse against Huddersfield last week, but even then they held on to an odd goal lead for an hour. We are seeing better defensive performances than we have seen for a long time.
Well done and stay with it Scotty, it is beginning to look as if you may have cracked our major problem.

The two goal lapse at Huddersfield was a shakeup of the defense you have listed above.  Hector was the only true CB that played against Huddersfield with Odoi partnering him in the middle.  I believe when the defense you listed has played together they have four straight clean sheets in the Championship.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

colinwhite

Excellent result and very professional performance. We can win this league!

Arthur

Quote from: ByTheRiver on February 08, 2020, 05:25:41 PM
Jesus wept.

Go and stroke the Tim Ream poster on your bedroom wall...

Yes, I'm pleased for Tim. He's taken stick throughout the past couple of weeks - some of it justified, much of it not.

From your reply, you seemingly felt I was pointing a finger directly at you. I wasn't. Not you or anyone in particular.

Another game, Ream may cost us the points. And if he does, you may have something to say about it. I'm not worried if that happens because I can see I'm not as touchy as you.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: SP on February 08, 2020, 05:27:22 PM
Not if he has an injury.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

Jims Dentist

Let's  not underestimate  the effect  that McDonald' has just in front of the defence.
He was key in our last promotion and could be key again in this run in.

Arthur

Quote from: Statto on February 08, 2020, 05:30:20 PM
Perhaps you have access to some indicator of popular opinion that I don't, but I'm not sure popular opinion was that Kongolo should start.

What I do know is that Ream is a very poor defender, and whilst we may get away with having him at CB for a while (maybe even until the end of the season, like we did with him and Odoi in 17/18) it will come crashing down on us sooner or later (like it did in 18/19)

The 'Pick your team vs Blackburn' thread went 13 to 1 in favour of Kongolo partnering Hector. Even on such a small sample size, the margin of the vote suggests that, even among the wider fan base, Kongolo would be more supporters' choice than Ream. And though I'm not on Twitter, I understand there was a reaction to the announcement of today's team.

I agree that it was neither difficult nor controversial for Parker to pick Ream. But nor would it have been for Parker to leave him on the bench.

Again, I agree that Ream would need to play somewhat better than he did last season to have a chance of competing for a starting spot were we to go up again. But his partnership with Hector is a better one than he shared with Mawson. And Odoi alongside Hector last week did not look like an upgrade. In my opinion, Ream is currently deserving of a place in the team. With the majority of those who express a view saying that they would not pick Tim in the starting XI, I don't mind 'fighting his corner' until such a time as I no longer feel he merits it.

colinwhite

4 clean sheets out of 5 playing together (minus city game ) says quite a lot really.

Whitesideup

I didn't watch the game so have no idea whether we won because of, or despite, him playing. I'm guessing most commenting on here about Ream in the last half an hour are in the same position.

Groundhog day. Despite another clean sheet, let's bash or rubbish Ream. Give it a rest.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Whitesideup on February 08, 2020, 07:40:58 PM

Groundhog day. Despite another clean sheet, let's bash or rubbish Ream. Give it a rest.
I watched the game. Thought Ream played well today.

grandad

Although I wanted Kongolo  to start I was happy that Ream put in a solid performance.
Where there's a will there's a wife

love4ffc

Very happy for Ream and the team.  After Ream got his red card loads of people where on Twitter saying that Ream would never play again for Fulham.  That Kongo would take his place and Ream would fade away.   :005: 

Think the Hector Ream duo is working well so far and both played very well today with both putting in some important tackles.  Enjoying the rest of my day with this win and hoping for a good result come tomorrow. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Sting of the North

Quote from: colinwhite on February 08, 2020, 07:33:30 PM
4 clean sheets out of 5 playing together (minus city game ) says quite a lot really.

The goals conceded against City were all on Hector, we conceded no goals with Ream on the field.  086.gif