Twitter

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, April 07, 2020, 02:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Quote from: Holders on April 09, 2020, 02:12:34 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on April 09, 2020, 01:58:25 PM
Quote from: Holders on April 09, 2020, 01:03:26 PM
Quote from: bog on April 09, 2020, 08:38:19 AM
Generally every method of communication has been used for cowardly nastiness. With post there were anonymous poison pen letters, with the telephone nasty calls and now all these modern methods are full of them.  I am not on any of them. My dinosaur view of life I am happy with. 

092.gif 

Mr Bog, I've been doing Twitter for about a year now and found it a useful source of information on events I might otherwise have missed and records of the natural world (an interest of mine). There is some occasional nastiness on there which can be readily avoided in my experience but I find a higher level of animosity on this board (where we're meant to be friends of Fulham) - and this is without doubt a "social medium" itself.

Yeh, the animosity on the friends of Fulham forum can be compared to twitter....blimey dude, that's a very silly comment.

You think I understated it? I was trying to be tactful.

Haha You must know the toxicity of twitter is almost unrivalled? Maybe only Reddit compares.

Holders

Quote from: FFC1987 on April 09, 2020, 05:17:54 PM
Generally every method of communication has been used for cowardly nastiness. With post there were anonymous poison pen letters, with the telephone nasty calls and now all these modern methods are full of them.  I am not on any of them. My dinosaur view of life I am happy with. 

092.gif 

Mr Bog, I've been doing Twitter for about a year now and found it a useful source of information on events I might otherwise have missed and records of the natural world (an interest of mine). There is some occasional nastiness on there which can be readily avoided in my experience but I find a higher level of animosity on this board (where we're meant to be friends of Fulham) - and this is without doubt a "social medium" itself.

Yeh, the animosity on the friends of Fulham forum can be compared to twitter....blimey dude, that's a very silly comment.

Haha You must know the toxicity of twitter is almost unrivalled? Maybe only Reddit compares.

Then your experience has been totally different to mine which is overwhelmingly favourable. No doubt it depends on whom you follow and the topics discussed but, as well as useful links and very up to date information,  I've had interesting and educative exchanges with prominent people and experts in their fields and I know of no other vehicle where that could so easily be achieved. I'm pretty much a dinosaur and not into this "social media" stuff in general, had never heard of Reddit till your mention above and have heard bad stories of Faecesbook so I can only compare twitter and FoF.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

FFC1987

Quote from: Holders on April 10, 2020, 09:59:54 AM

092.gif 

Then your experience has been totally different to mine which is overwhelmingly favourable. No doubt it depends on whom you follow and the topics discussed but, as well as useful links and very up to date information,  I've had interesting and educative exchanges with prominent people and experts in their fields and I know of no other vehicle where that could so easily be achieved. I'm pretty much a dinosaur and not into this "social media" stuff in general, had never heard of Reddit till your mention above and have heard bad stories of Faecesbook so I can only compare twitter and FoF.

Ok, I mean, I've had the experiences you speak of too but I can't deny that Twitter has a extremely dark side to it. I don't think FoF ever had issues with Isis recruitment, blatent anti-semitism and as much as I've seen some borderline racist/misogynist comments on this board, twitter is unrivalled. I appreciate it is absolutely the experience you make it in terms of blocking and ignoring, but you just don't get the extremes you do on twitter here.

As much as I talk down about Reddit, i'd actually recommend. There's some terrific subs ranging from scientific futurology to Fulham FC, lots of optimism within a lot of subs. I think I came off twitter at the height of Trump/Brexit where it was probably at its most toxic with even basic football pundits to authors spamming their feed with politics so maybe I'm bias and out of the loop here. I'd still recommend the Jack Dorsey, Joe Rogan podcast though as they really did highlight some of the internal issues they face. 

Each to their own I suppose, I'm glad people find social media platforms helpful, I guess I'd always just recommend airing on the side of caution though.

Holders

Quote from: FFC1987 on April 10, 2020, 10:28:46 AM
Quote from: Holders on April 10, 2020, 09:59:54 AM

092.gif 

Ok, I mean, I've had the experiences you speak of too but I can't deny that Twitter has a extremely dark side to it. I don't think FoF ever had issues with Isis recruitment, blatent anti-semitism and as much as I've seen some borderline racist/misogynist comments on this board, twitter is unrivalled. I appreciate it is absolutely the experience you make it in terms of blocking and ignoring, but you just don't get the extremes you do on twitter here.

As much as I talk down about Reddit, i'd actually recommend. There's some terrific subs ranging from scientific futurology to Fulham FC, lots of optimism within a lot of subs. I think I came off twitter at the height of Trump/Brexit where it was probably at its most toxic with even basic football pundits to authors spamming their feed with politics so maybe I'm bias and out of the loop here. I'd still recommend the Jack Dorsey, Joe Rogan podcast though as they really did highlight some of the internal issues they face. 

Each to their own I suppose, I'm glad people find social media platforms helpful, I guess I'd always just recommend airing on the side of caution though.

Having avoided facebook like the plague because of what I'd heard about it, I joined twitter almost by accident and was pleasantly surprised, though there is also a lot of rubbish on it. The matters you mention are certainly a very dark side and I've experienced nothing like that. People must be aware of legalities and libel when they post. I did experience a few extremist and nasty people during the Brexit debate but it was so easy to mute them. Plainly, one must be careful of being in a bubble of like-minded opinions but as a source of information not otherwise generally available, I've found it excellent.

I spend too much time on there, like I do on here. The Fulham fora used to be good sources of information (and misinformation) in the past but that seems to have largely gone by the by and not just down to the hiatus in the season.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria