more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Twitter

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, April 07, 2020, 02:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 07, 2020, 07:18:18 AM
People know far too much about others business nowadays, they seem to want other folks to know all about them.
In the paper the other day certain female singers from this country and USA going on Instragram whatever it is and showing themselves in isolation parading about in their underwear and whatever,have they no pride in themselves.
The sad thing is that there are millions out there following them,they need get a life.Big Ass Kardashian has 89 million followers on there,you would think a lot of young women would have someone more important to look up to,other than a person who has millions due to having a huge butt.

Yes there are plenty of good and gracious women to look up to, especially when you are laying down. Maria Sharapova is 6 feet 2 inches, and as I am 6ft 8 inches I would have to lay down to look up to her.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

fcfulham55

Depends who you follow,  I limit mine to  following some firms/ people for market info + follow Fulham related content.   99% of the said content is then relevant to me.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

love4ffc

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 07, 2020, 01:53:54 PM
The Internet with all its wonderful technology and knowledge and all the great way it allows everyone to communicate wherever you are, has at the same time created a social monster to create hostility that never existed in that way before.
  For me and for some reason it has never appealed to me and I have never had the desire to participate thank goodness, due to what I have been informed as it has been well documented that Twitter is frequented by Twits.
What I have been told by many an upstanding member of society. It is clearly a platform for the evil loony left as well as other self appointed nutters to rear their ugly heads and spout their usual bile behind their shield called a computer.
So for me what I do not read will not inflame my natural desire to put them over my knee and tan their backsides until they couldn't sit down for a fortnight, that would really give them something to moan about.
Instead I choose to stay away rather than get wound up by Cretins, and mental afflictions.
They are a Stench under the noses of decent human beings.
I am off into my garden to read a book on the life of Attila The Hun who coincidentally had the same middle name as Rupert The Bear.

You were doing so well until you belittled the "left". 

As a reminder to all, even in these troubling times please leave your political views as best you can out of your postings.

*** Note for the record I think the extremes that people take their beliefs and politics to is the root cause of so much discord today.  Social media platforms is what you make of them and in general are used to exchange information, ideas and views.  They can also be used to stir the pot.  I think it's up to the individual users of those platforms to decide how they will use them.       
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

john dempsey

Twitter Boss pledges 1 billion$ to help fight virus.
out of the dark comes light

FFC1987

Quote from: john dempsey on April 08, 2020, 07:14:17 AM
Twitter Boss pledges 1 billion$ to help fight virus.
out of the dark comes light

Yeh, I mentioned him when he went on  Joe Rogan. He seems such a down to earth guy and just wants what best for everyone. If he/twitter interests, give that podcast a listen.

bill taylors apprentice

I don't see the need for the majority to use this product, at least not as often as a lot of people do.
Before any individual criticises or lists endless positive uses, of course its a useful tool in some instances but many people are fixated by it and should be talking to their family, reading a book, playing a sport or doing a hobby.

Logicalman

If there is anything that SM has taught us, it's that it is both a representation of a cross-section of society, and that it beings out the worst in people (aka keyboard warriors). I have accounts to almost all the different platforms though I post rarely in comparison to others.
The one thing I have learned is that it is all opinion, and so everything can be taken with a pinch of salt. I have not found one or another particular SM outlet to be politically biased one way or the other as there is such a wide selection of opinions, so I guess it's just the people/groups that one follows that influences that (and dare I say one's own biases play a part).
I avoid the obvious big hitters (Politicians and music celebrities) and, like was mentioned on here prior, I do follow people like AMS, Branson, for example, simply because they are people I have respect for.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Logicalman on April 08, 2020, 11:04:18 AM
If there is anything that SM has taught us, it's that it is both a representation of a cross-section of society, and that it beings out the worst in people (aka keyboard warriors). I have accounts to almost all the different platforms though I post rarely in comparison to others.
The one thing I have learned is that it is all opinion, and so everything can be taken with a pinch of salt. I have not found one or another particular SM outlet to be politically biased one way or the other as there is such a wide selection of opinions, so I guess it's just the people/groups that one follows that influences that (and dare I say one's own biases play a part).
I avoid the obvious big hitters (Politicians and music celebrities) and, like was mentioned on here prior, I do follow people like AMS, Branson, for example, simply because they are people I have respect for.

Following AMS and Branson will certainly bias your feed to a particular side, in the way you mention though... ;)

But I do agree. They are platforms. They are not biased one way or another. How you fill them - who you follow, who the people you follow follow themselves determine, what you see.

Shouts to MJG and White Noise and so on whilst we are on the subject of Twitter. They run sterling accounts for Fulham bits. If anyone has Twitter and doesn't follow them then I would recommend they do.

Milo

28% of his wealth! Fair play

Cambridge Pete

I think it was an American Poet/Songwriter named Moondog who came up with the line " It begins with and blessing but ends with a curse, making life better whilst making life worse"  It seems to sum up much of the SM/Internet. Apart from this forum I don't participate in any social media. I have occasionally looked at some platforms and have found the content not to my liking. The latest being the Mayor in Nottingham tweeting about the PM. I would never wish such a thing on another human being. It appears that people give vent to their ire and offer very little constructive criticism. Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man!

Twig

I think that's very fair.  I used to use Linked In until I retired and I found Facebook useful whilst living abroad, my experience of Twitter is a bit limited.  I haven't really noticed a political bias on any of these platforms, seems to me it depends who you follow.  And anyway, one person's left/right wing rant is another's staple diet.

Twig

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on April 08, 2020, 01:10:27 PM
I think it was an American Poet/Songwriter named Moondog who came up with the line " It begins with and blessing but ends with a curse, making life better whilst making life worse"  It seems to sum up much of the SM/Internet. Apart from this forum I don't participate in any social media. I have occasionally looked at some platforms and have found the content not to my liking. The latest being the Mayor in Nottingham tweeting about the PM. I would never wish such a thing on another human being. It appears that people give vent to their ire and offer very little constructive criticism. Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man!

I remember Moondog but certainly couldn't have quoted him. Respect for that!

FFC1987

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 08, 2020, 11:15:07 AM

Following AMS and Branson will certainly bias your feed to a particular side, in the way you mention though... ;)

But I do agree. They are platforms. They are not biased one way or another. How you fill them - who you follow, who the people you follow follow themselves determine, what you see.

Shouts to MJG and White Noise and so on whilst we are on the subject of Twitter. They run sterling accounts for Fulham bits. If anyone has Twitter and doesn't follow them then I would recommend they do.

With all due respect guys, when the owner of said social media company, comes forward and says they have made mistakes and internal politics have created leanings towards on side of the political spectrum, I think he's probably more equipped to say so.

Twitter can be great for sure, but it has it's issues. Like most things.

Cambridge Pete

Sitting down for dinner with my wife I stated thinking of the tune I referenced above. Apologies I then realised the lyrics were from Kevin Ayers not Moondog

Mr K.Dilkington

Twitter is very nearly the worst of the internet. It's the only website I feel like I have to take a break from periodically.
Foolish ham

bog

Generally every method of communication has been used for cowardly nastiness. With post there were anonymous poison pen letters, with the telephone nasty calls and now all these modern methods are full of them.  I am not on any of them. My dinosaur view of life I am happy with. 

092.gif 

Holders

Quote from: bog on April 09, 2020, 08:38:19 AM
Generally every method of communication has been used for cowardly nastiness. With post there were anonymous poison pen letters, with the telephone nasty calls and now all these modern methods are full of them.  I am not on any of them. My dinosaur view of life I am happy with. 

092.gif 

Mr Bog, I've been doing Twitter for about a year now and found it a useful source of information on events I might otherwise have missed and records of the natural world (an interest of mine). There is some occasional nastiness on there which can be readily avoided in my experience but I find a higher level of animosity on this board (where we're meant to be friends of Fulham) - and this is without doubt a "social medium" itself.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

FFC1987

Quote from: Holders on April 09, 2020, 01:03:26 PM

092.gif 

Mr Bog, I've been doing Twitter for about a year now and found it a useful source of information on events I might otherwise have missed and records of the natural world (an interest of mine). There is some occasional nastiness on there which can be readily avoided in my experience but I find a higher level of animosity on this board (where we're meant to be friends of Fulham) - and this is without doubt a "social medium" itself.

Yeh, the animosity on the friends of Fulham forum can be compared to twitter....blimey dude, that's a very silly comment.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

092.gif 

Don't forget the white feather via the post as well Cap'n!

Holders

Quote from: FFC1987 on April 09, 2020, 01:58:25 PM
Quote from: Holders on April 09, 2020, 01:03:26 PM

092.gif 

Yeh, the animosity on the friends of Fulham forum can be compared to twitter....blimey dude, that's a very silly comment.

You think I understated it? I was trying to be tactful.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria