watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Twitter

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, April 07, 2020, 02:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

What a vile, and horrible social media platform it has become.

I thought Facebook was bad, but, with Twitter, you're completely and utterly exposed.

Looked on Twitter tonight, and there is completely no control, no filters, with people saying what the hell they like, and getting away with it.

The place used to be ok for a bit of information, news etc, but now, everyone just wants to mug you off, be damn right nasty, and the comments about wishing Boris dead, are completely unacceptable.

That, along with the persistent racist comments, has finally persuaded me to rest my Twitter account.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on April 07, 2020, 02:47:14 AM
What a vile, and horrible social media platform it has become.

I thought Facebook was bad, but, with Twitter, you're completely and utterly exposed.

Looked on Twitter tonight, and there is completely no control, no filters, with people saying what the hell they like, and getting away with it.

The place used to be ok for a bit of information, news etc, but now, everyone just wants to mug you off, be damn right nasty, and the comments about wishing Boris dead, are completely unacceptable.

That, along with the persistent racist comments, has finally persuaded me to rest my Twitter account.

I'm entirely off social media except for LinkedIn, and even with that I don't read or write comments - I only look at business related articles and upcoming job postings.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Milo

It's an interesting point because people who use FoF could well be using Twitter alongside. This means that people may be used to that cut-throat, unregulated wilderness and then transfer some of that atmosphere to here. It's difficult to moderate sometimes because you want to allow people freedom to speak, but then you have to draw the line at abusive posts and also think of the bigger picture (which is more of a problem now) in that small things add up to an atmosphere that creates fear to post.

MJG

Twitter and how you use it depends a lot on who you follow. I use it more than here and while you can still mute people on fof I find it easier to do that on twitter as well as keeping lists of people and subjects you can just dive into.
I know a few on here who's persona on Twitter is different and are much more shall we say controversial.
There are some low lifes on twitter for sure and some may have seen one fulham fan and his tweet about Boris last night being absolutely disgusting. But dont take too much of a high moral ground about FOF, some posts are very close to the line and the mods do a very good job of controlling it, but some stuff from certain individuals is just bubbling under the surface towards being unacceptable.

In the end room for all types of SM and forums and quality on all can range from great to rubbish.
Just the views of a long term fan

Mince n Tatties

People know far too much about others business nowadays, they seem to want other folks to know all about them.
In the paper the other day certain female singers from this country and USA going on Instragram whatever it is and showing themselves in isolation parading about in their underwear and whatever,have they no pride in themselves.
The sad thing is that there are millions out there following them,they need get a life.Big Ass Kardashian has 89 million followers on there,you would think a lot of young women would have someone more important to look up to,other than a person who has millions due to having a huge butt.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: MJG on April 07, 2020, 07:04:18 AM
Twitter and how you use it depends a lot on who you follow. I use it more than here and while you can still mute people on fof I find it easier to do that on twitter as well as keeping lists of people and subjects you can just dive into.
I know a few on here who's persona on Twitter is different and are much more shall we say controversial.
There are some low lifes on twitter for sure and some may have seen one fulham fan and his tweet about Boris last night being absolutely disgusting. But dont take too much of a high moral ground about FOF, some posts are very close to the line and the mods do a very good job of controlling it, but some stuff from certain individuals is just bubbling under the surface towards being unacceptable.

In the end room for all types of SM and forums and quality on all can range from great to rubbish.
:plus one: Very well put.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

grandad

I don´t use it a lot. I only follow a select few. Jamie Reid, MJG, Fulham players. I do like the banter between Lord Sugar & Piers Morgan.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Statto

I read Twitter but don't have an account. It's a good concept with the potential to enable or improve free speech, transparency, education, democracy etc, and for those reasons I support its existence. But I agree with the OP that the real thing is actually a horrible place. And the results of the last few elections and referendum have shown that the Twitter community is actually a peculiar minority and totally out of sync with the general population.

FFC1987

I've come to realise that actually Reddit is by far the most toxic social media platform now. Twitter is by no means a place I'd recommend for civil discussion but Reddit is a whole new sh*tshow. I don't use anything bar facebook anymore and that's mainly for the messenger groups I have with friends and strictly keep it apolitical. Maybe its an age thing, but I can't recall a more divisive time where very simple concepts in say, politics can't be discussed without accusations of some sort of bigotry unless you follow someone elses zealous doctrine.

As much as I hate it, I'm sure you can make a productive use of it like MJG says, but for me, it just wasn't worth the hassle. To try and prove that point, I strictly followed only football, Ice Hockey, Fulham, Gaming, Comics and a small amount of authors like Stephen King, and everyday, my timeline was still full of political grandstanding and shouting of 'isms' levied at people. Particularly, and I must say, as a liberal, a lot of talking down about 'white cis males' which seems to be normalised and fashionable to hurl insults at.

Each to their own but it wasn't for me.

Holders

I use Twitter, started a year or so back and finding it very useful for information on matters of interest and more up to date and unbiased than the MSM. I scarcely use it for Fulham-related stuff, although I follow a couple of people, As MJG says, you can always mute or block the most irritating or rude.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Statto

Quote from: Holders on April 07, 2020, 10:11:35 AM
more up to date and unbiased than the MSM

I don't mean to be patronising and maybe this doesn't apply to you but a lot of stuff on Twitter is, naturally, fake news. I agree about the bias in MSN but personally negate that by getting my news from a number of MSM sources across the spectrum. I also read Twitter but can't recall ever reading anything on Twitter (that I believed) that wasn't also reported in at least one MSM source (albeit probably not all of them).

FFC1987

I would also never recommend Twitter for news. Its hugely weighted to the left and is very much full of false information. I'd argue more false than true by a sizeable margin.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on April 07, 2020, 09:37:49 AM
I read Twitter but don't have an account. It's a good concept with the potential to enable or improve free speech, transparency, education, democracy etc, and for those reasons I support its existence. But I agree with the OP that the real thing is actually a horrible place. And the results of the last few elections and referendum have shown that the Twitter community is actually a peculiar minority and totally out of sync with the general population.

Totally sums it up in my view.

Southcoastffc

I don't take Twitter very seriously - for information, it's a bit like Wikipedia in that anyone can pretty much say what they like - but mainly use it for a source of entertainment, Fulham-related stuff, various comedians and a couple of economists.   It's harmless and damaging, nice and nasty, depending on how you use it.

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Holders

Quote from: Statto on April 07, 2020, 10:25:36 AM
Quote from: Holders on April 07, 2020, 10:11:35 AM
more up to date and unbiased than the MSM

I don't mean to be patronising and maybe this doesn't apply to you but a lot of stuff on Twitter is, naturally, fake news. I agree about the bias in MSN but personally negate that by getting my news from a number of MSM sources across the spectrum. I also read Twitter but can't recall ever reading anything on Twitter (that I believed) that wasn't also reported in at least one MSM source (albeit probably not all of them).

Yes, in being brief I laid myself open there. Of course one has to be selective and there is a lot of fake news but there is also very useful information that MSM fail to cover and links to articles etc that are outwith their remit anyway. Choose whom you follow - most of mine are scientists.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Sgt Fulham

Twitter is just an extension of the famous Milgram study. People are willing to spout abhorrent nonsense because they're so far removed from any consequence. That's to say that people spouting about how they hope Boris dies would immediately choose the button allowing him to live if presented with a choice by his hospital bedside.

These people just want attention, probably because they felt an absence of it growing up. I would say the actual percentage that mean their words are very low. That is why I avoid twitter apart from when I want instant updates (e.g. Fulham games that I cant attend).

Woolly Mammoth

The Internet with all its wonderful technology and knowledge and all the great way it allows everyone to communicate wherever you are, has at the same time created a social monster to create hostility that never existed in that way before.
  For me and for some reason it has never appealed to me and I have never had the desire to participate thank goodness, due to what I have been informed as it has been well documented that Twitter is frequented by Twits.
What I have been told by many an upstanding member of society. It is clearly a platform for the evil loony left as well as other self appointed nutters to rear their ugly heads and spout their usual bile behind their shield called a computer.
So for me what I do not read will not inflame my natural desire to put them over my knee and tan their backsides until they couldn't sit down for a fortnight, that would really give them something to moan about.
Instead I choose to stay away rather than get wound up by Cretins, and mental afflictions.
They are a Stench under the noses of decent human beings.
I am off into my garden to read a book on the life of Attila The Hun who coincidentally had the same middle name as Rupert The Bear.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 07, 2020, 01:53:54 PM
The Internet with all its wonderful technology and knowledge and all the great way it allows everyone to communicate wherever you are, has at the same time created a social monster to create hostility that never existed in that way before.
  For me and for some reason it has never appealed to me and I have never had the desire to participate thank goodness, due to what I have been informed as it has been well documented that Twitter is frequented by Twits.
What I have been told by many an upstanding member of society. It is clearly a platform for the evil loony left as well as other self appointed nutters to rear their ugly heads and spout their usual bile behind their shield called a computer.
So for me what I do not read will not inflame my natural desire to put them over my knee and tan their backsides until they couldn't sit down for a fortnight, that would really give them something to moan about.
Instead I choose to stay away rather than get wound up by Cretins, and mental afflictions.
They are a Stench under the noses of decent human beings.
I am off into my garden to read a book on the life of Attila The Hun who coincidentally had the same middle name as Rupert The Bear.
That last sentence made me chuckle.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ffcne

Problem i find .
Is no one has any respect ,morals ,principles or decency these days .
The use of  the worst swear words is the norm along with personal insults.
All caused by social media ,people think they can say what they like.
People cannot communicate properly  as never have conversations .
Headphones on and eyes looking at phones etc.
Horrible world .
Glad i enjoyed 60's 70' 80' and some of the 90's  .

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ffcne on April 07, 2020, 03:30:31 PM
Problem i find .
Is no one has any respect ,morals ,principles or decency these days .
The use of  the worst swear words is the norm along with personal insults.
All caused by social media ,people think they can say what they like.
People cannot communicate properly  as never have conversations .
Headphones on and eyes looking at phones etc.
Horrible world .
Glad i enjoyed 60's 70' 80' and some of the 90's  .

Same here, how lucky we were.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.