watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Guillermo Ochoa Close To Signing

Started by White Noise, November 18, 2010, 08:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteroom

I am going to go against the grain on this one and say that I would be really excited about him coming to Fulham. He is young for a start, that means that he has probably got 10+ seasons left in him. With that in mind it seems clever to get him in now, get him used to English football and then when Mark begins his coaching in a season or two he can step up. I can see him having a few games in the mean time too.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Whiteroom on December 09, 2010, 04:02:03 PM
I am going to go against the grain on this one and say that I would be really excited about him coming to Fulham. He is young for a start, that means that he has probably got 10+ seasons left in him. With that in mind it seems clever to get him in now, get him used to English football and then when Mark begins his coaching in a season or two he can step up. I can see him having a few games in the mean time too.

And Stockdale? :dft005:

Mr_Moon

One of my favourite players on Football Manager, would be silly to see him here.

Silly in both ways and yes I've hardly ever seen him play in real life before.

SmithyFFC

Makes sense, when Schwarzer goes in January we will need some backup/competition for Stockdale.

:045:
FTID

Whiteroom

Presuming we don't have Mark after this season, or a little bit more, then what do we do? Sit back with Stockdale and Zuba? I really rate Stockdale, but we don't know how consistent he is. I think that a few people have fallen foul of praising too quickly and then having to revise, or at least put on hold, their initial unreserved enthusiasm (Dembele, Salcido [both of whom I actually have a lot of faith in]).

Lighthouse

Quote from: Whiteroom on December 09, 2010, 04:57:02 PM
Presuming we don't have Mark after this season, or a little bit more, then what do we do? Sit back with Stockdale and Zuba? I really rate Stockdale, but we don't know how consistent he is. I think that a few people have fallen foul of praising too quickly and then having to revise, or at least put on hold, their initial unreserved enthusiasm (Dembele, Salcido [both of whom I actually have a lot of faith in]).

It is a fair argument and shows, if true, that Hughes is looking to the future. But on what we have seen of him, he looks far from being a keeper that can make it in the Prem. If he comes I shall be the first to praise him for anything good he does. In the short term I would have liked a player we actually need now to be linked so strongly.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Whiteroom

I definitely agree with you Lighthouse. It would be nice to have the same speculation over a striker, or even any other outfield player.

TonyGilroy

Hughes isn't stupid.

If we're paying £9M or anything like it for a reserve keeper there must be one hell of a transfer fund waiting to be spent.

White Noise

Fulham hand trial to Guillermo Ochoa as Arsenal and Manchester United are linked with £9m-rated goalkeeper

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 4:32 PM on 9th December 2010

Mexico goalkeeping ace Guillermo Ochoa is having a trial with Fulham as Mark Hughes eyes a long-term replacement for Mark Schwarzer.

The 25-year-old Club America star has long been regarded as one of the most promising keepers in the world and has also been linked with Arsenal and Manchester United.

While bigger clubs have balked at a reported £9million price tag, Fulham are said to be closing in on a deal for the 6ft 1in No 1.

England is watching: Ochoa faces a penalty from Manchester City's Emmanuel Adebayor in pre-season

His Mexico City-based employers are reluctant to let him go, but boss Manuel Lapuente admitted: '"Memo" wants to play in the Premier League, the best in the world, and wants to learn and grow. Therefore, I understand his desire to leave.'

Ochoa, who has 40 caps but surprisingly played second fiddle at the World Cup finals this year, has already met up with compatriot Carlos Salcido in London.

Defender Salcido, 30, has impressed at Craven Cottage since joining from PSV Eindhoven in the summer and would help Ochoa adapt in west London.

If a deal isn't concluded quickly, he is expected back at Club America on Monday.

In the spotlight: Ochoa has caught the eye at Club America

The Mexican club said in a statement: 'Our goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa has travelled to London after accepting the invitation he has received from Fulham and the manager Mark Hughes.

'Our club has been in touch all the time with Ochoa, who is enjoying his holidays, and that's why he has accepted the invitation he has received from Fulham.
'America will be aware of the results of this invitation and, in case there is a negotiation between both clubs, we will let the press know once they have finished.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1337185/Fulham-hand-trial-Guillermo-Ochoa-Arsenal-Manchester-United-circle.html#ixzz17ds8Gko4

Admin

One of THE best 'agile' goalkeepers around and I can see why Fulham are trying to tie the lad down. Be it only 25, he is head and shoulder above Stockdale and he will be right up Swartz @ss if he comes. The move will be for a permanent replacement for Mark in 1 years time as he steps down for a coaching roll at Fulham. Good aquisition but he's not worth 9 million yet and I'm sure Fulham will work out an installement package passed on apperances, sell on clause etc. Go get him Hughesy  :045:   

jarv

I thought Stockdale did quite well when he had the chance. Don't we need a striker or two???  Building for the future is to be applauded but right now, points are needed. I don't mean to be negative but other teams around Fulham are snatching points here and there. 2-1 win this week-end.

FFC4Life

Never seen Ochoa play (other than the YouTube clips, of course!), but it's clear that he's highly regarded in footballing circles; being rated by Diego Maradona as one of the top 3 goalkeepers in the world, for example. If nothing else, it's quite exciting to be linked with a player of his age with that sort of reputation :045:

LRCN

gutted for stockdale, he looked good, but ochoa from loads of sources seems to be a special player. thing is i really dont want to sign a goalie for 9 million no matter how good he is. we have much bigger problems than in goal, even for 6 months, we'd be better off investing it elsewhere

Mr Fulham

"It is a real honour to have this chance to train with Fulham. I hope i can train well and impress Mark Hughes and who knows what will happen after that. The Premier League is the best league in the world and to have the chance to train with a club like Fulham is a great achievement in my footballing career".

- Guillermo Ochoa, 09.12.2010

:wine:

Lighthouse

It appears that a medical has been completed and the Keeper will return to his club on Monday for the deal or no deal to be completed. Another Mexican player, a 17 year old Rodrigo Fernandez could also be on his way according to reports in the Mexican papers.

How true any of this is we shall just have to wait and see.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Tom

Quote from: Lork on December 09, 2010, 09:02:57 PM
gutted for stockdale, he looked good, but ochoa from loads of sources seems to be a special player. thing is i really dont want to sign a goalie for 9 million no matter how good he is. we have much bigger problems than in goal, even for 6 months, we'd be better off investing it elsewhere
Agree with everything you said.
Fulham for life!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Lighthouse on December 10, 2010, 01:11:55 AM
It appears that a medical has been completed and the Keeper will return to his club on Monday for the deal or no deal to be completed. Another Mexican player, a 17 year old Rodrigo Fernandez could also be on his way according to reports in the Mexican papers.

Interesting, how good is this youngster? Who does he play for?

Mr Fulham

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 10, 2010, 09:21:56 AM

Cruz Azul.

TonyGilroy

If the report is true he's "£9M rated" but is out of contract in June.

Presumably therefore much cheaper and could be a real coup. Presumably Salcido has had an input.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Mr Fulham on December 10, 2010, 09:24:15 AM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on December 10, 2010, 09:21:56 AM

Cruz Azul.

Here he is:

Cruz Azul's youth squad will play for Fulham

The midfielder Rodrigo Fernández Bustamante will partner Carlos Salcido in the Premier League
Fri, 12/03/2010 8:29 

Rodrigo Fernandez Bustamante, U-17 midfielder for Cruz Azul, go to Fulham in the Premier League after the English club to offer him a trade for a year to play in England.

The wheel will travel to Europe tomorrow to finalize details of joining the team in the military also Mexico's Carlos Salcido.

According to information from ESPN, Fernandez was followed closely by British viewers, who made him an offer, although being a minor does not receive a payment.