Guillermo Ochoa Close To Signing

Started by White Noise, November 18, 2010, 08:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Mark Hughes rules out Fulham move for Mexican keeper

Dec 10 2010

By Jacob Murtagh

Mark Hughes

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes has denied Mexican keeper Guillermo Ochoa is coming to Craven Cottage on trial.

The £9million-rated 25-year-old is pals with Whites full-back Carlos Salcido, and is reported to be heading to SW6.

Mark Schwarzer signed a new deal with Fulham last week, while youngster David Stockdale is also waiting in the wings.

And Hughes has played down any move for Club America keeper Ochoa.

He said: "He hasn't been to the club and he hasn't trained with us.

"It's not the case [that he's coming on trial]."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/12/10/mark-hughes-rules-out-fulham-move-for-mexican-keeper-64767-27804699/#ixzz17ilRDxwL

sipwell

May I  say: Phew! We have bigger worries than a goalie and 9  million £ is even to my eurocentric ears a loooooooooooot of money!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

TheInsider

Hughes hasn't been quoted saying it won't happen though. And I thought it was for a cut price?

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6570284,00.html

Hughes denies keeper trial

Mexican shot-stopper visiting Salcido on holiday says manager

Last updated: 12th December 2010   

Hughes: Laughed off speculation

Mark Hughes has rubbished claims Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa has joined Fulham on trial.

The Club America shot-stopper has been linked with a move to the Premier League outfit where he would join close friend and Cottagers left-back Carlos Salcido.

But Hughes has dismissed reports claiming the 25-year-old custodian has come to west London other than as a vacation.

The Craven Cottage boss said: "There has been a bit of confusion about that.

"I think he is actually on holiday here from Mexico and he knows Carlos but he hasn't been at the club and he hasn't trained."

Burt

Good news, if true... We have more pressing shortcomings in the squad that need fixing.

Tom

Quote from: Burt on December 13, 2010, 02:53:41 AM
Good news, if true... We have more pressing shortcomings in the squad that need fixing.
A huge +1!
Fulham for life!

clintclintdeuce

I dont want this whatsoever... he is a cheap "ronaldoesque" typeplayer not fulham standard.... i would hate to see this guy try to cleet someone in black and white... just not morally sound this player is.
The Dude abides.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on December 13, 2010, 01:03:06 PM
I dont want this whatsoever... he is a cheap "ronaldoesque" typeplayer not fulham standard.... i would hate to see this guy try to cleet someone in black and white... just not morally sound this player is.

Seems to be another US-MEX story, init? :dead horse:

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: Mr Fulham on December 13, 2010, 02:03:33 PM
Quote from: clintclintdeuce on December 13, 2010, 01:03:06 PM

Seems to be another US-MEX story, init? :dead horse:

Club and country sir.. and just not against the Americans at the country level either...
The Dude abides.

Lighthouse

The very latest on this - There is no problem between the two clubs - But Ochoa will not be coming to Fulham. The big reason is - Mark Hughes simply didn't want him.

So what has all the reports been about. Sometimes I wonder if looking at any of these reports is worth my time.

Hold on - A report from a paper in Lilliput. New target man coming to the Cottage. Now if this is true ..............
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LRCN

Quote from: Lighthouse on December 14, 2010, 01:15:56 AM
The very latest on this - There is no problem between the two clubs - But Ochoa will not be coming to Fulham. The big reason is - Mark Hughes simply didn't want him.

So what has all the reports been about. Sometimes I wonder if looking at any of these reports is worth my time.

Hold on - A report from a paper in Lilliput. New target man coming to the Cottage. Now if this is true ..............

that makes the stuff coming from his club really bizarre. unless ofc hughes is on his way out but i doubt it

White Noise

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/01/premiership/7m-mexican-sparks-premiership-merry-go-round

£7M Mexican Sparks Premiership Merry Go Round

Date: 10th January 2011 at 2:05 pm

25-year old goalkeeper, Guillermo Ochoa, who is widely considered to be the best keeper not playing his club football in Europe, might finally be making the move over to this side of the Atlantic this month.

Ochoa officially took a trip to Fulham last month to speak with Mark Hughes and train with his Fulham squad. However, there was nothing formal between the Cottagers and his club side America back then, with the clubs president's response to Ochoa's wish to train with Fulham being;

'You're on your vacation, you can go anyway.'

It now appears that Fulham see the former Arsenal and Everton target as their long term successor to 38-year old Mark Schwarzer. This is an interesting decision due to the form of David Stockdale, both when Schwarzer was injured earlier in the season and now he has left for the Asian Cup.

However, there is no doubting Ochoa's quality, as the new Mexican number one has been highly touted for several years. The biggest stumbling block in Fulham's pursuit of Ochoa will be the £7M price tag that America have placed on his head.

Despite this, Ochoa's contract is up in the summer and his agent, who is part of the 'just football' agency that has Diego Forlan and Benoit Assou-Ekotto on their books, has been desperate to take Ochoa to Europe for years.

As a result, with decent negotiation and the threat of him leaving for nothing in the summer, Fulham may well be able to get their man at a price they can afford.

Burt

Thought this one had died a death
:dead horse:

FatFreddysCat

I'm hoping we sign the Scandie keeper that is coming on trial, sounds like he has a lot of potential and would be cheap so not much of a gamble.

SmithyFFC

£7 milllion on this guy, or Stockdale?

No contest  :dead horse:
FTID