more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer Deadline Day

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 27, 2020, 09:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 11, 2020, 01:13:08 PM
I don't think there's really any validity to the argument that the market is any worse off due to Covid. You can argue maybe that struggling clubs will need to sell at cut prices maybe but I very much doubt thats the calibre of player we're looking for. As others have mentioned, championship clubs won't be selling best players for less than 20m or thereabouts so it's hardly depreciated.
it will be though, sponsor money will go down, ticket sales will go down, Match day revenue will go down, domestic tv revenue will go down. It was just on talk sport that the Chinese broadcaster is with holding 160 million from last seasons payments. I'm willing to bet that this will be one of the lowest total spend for clubs for years. And quite frankly clubs need to be frugal, more now than ever
Liverpool have come out and said they don't have much of a kitty
Arsenal have laid people off and are selling to raise funds
City Chelsea and Man U will no doubt spend big but the rest won't
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: JimOG on August 11, 2020, 08:19:16 AM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 11, 2020, 07:49:43 AM
I want Kongolo back...on a purchase. I don't know how many people noticed ...but the game where he injured himself...he played the last 10 minutes hurt.

I'd much rather have him as a backup LB/LCB than MLM...if healthy.

Agreed - he has the pace and determination plus he fits Parker's view of not being another 'new boy'

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

I would like SP to add a last element to the interview process.
"See that wall over there. I want you to put this shirt on and run through it"

FFC1987

Quote from: fulhamben on August 11, 2020, 01:28:28 PM
I don't think there's really any validity to the argument that the market is any worse off due to Covid. You can argue maybe that struggling clubs will need to sell at cut prices maybe but I very much doubt thats the calibre of player we're looking for. As others have mentioned, championship clubs won't be selling best players for less than 20m or thereabouts so it's hardly depreciated.
it will be though, sponsor money will go down, ticket sales will go down, Match day revenue will go down, domestic tv revenue will go down. It was just on talk sport that the Chinese broadcaster is with holding 160 million from last seasons payments. I'm willing to bet that this will be one of the lowest total spend for clubs for years. And quite frankly clubs need to be frugal, more now than ever

Oh, I don't doubt clubs will spend less, but my comment was more indicative at clubs undervaluing players in spite of this.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on August 11, 2020, 08:14:55 AM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 11, 2020, 01:09:55 AM
Quote from: Statto on August 11, 2020, 12:59:17 AM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 11, 2020, 12:36:26 AM
Just for a comparison and why I don't think we need to spend 100m/sign a load of players this summer. First Friendly we had for 18/19 we had a team/squad of;
Rodak; Christie, Odoi, Jenz, R. Sessegnon; de la Torre, Johansen, O'Riley; AK47, Kait, Thorsteinsson
Ashby-Hammond, Ream, Djalo, Fossey, S. Sessegnon, Cisse, Francois, Cairney, Kebano, Ayite, Fonte.

And of that whole squad I'd say it's fair to say the only players who actually played a significant amount in the Prem were Christie, Odoi, R. Sessegnon, Ream and Cairney and we were basically padding the team out with Youth players.

If we had a game tomorrow without any signings (even making Harrison Reed permanent) we could play a team of;
Rodak; Christie, Hector, Ream, Bryan; Anguissa, Cairney; Knockaert, Onomah, Kebano; Mitrovic
Bettinelli, Le Marchand, Odoi, Johansen, Seri, Cavaleiro, AK47
... and on top of that we have Fabri, Mawson, S. Sessegnon, McDonald, Bobby Reid and Youth Players.

I'm not saying that team would keep us up, but it's a fact that we're in a much better position this time around.

But as I said up the thread, last time we spent 90% of the £100m on just 4 players.

So we don't have to need or buy a lot of new players for it to cost £100m

Said it in an earlier comment, it shouldn't be costing us 100m especially in this market unless we get ideas above our station of "17th is a good season" and go for the big name players like Seri when I'd prefer to sign perhaps on paper "worse" players but players who'll scrap for every point next season and buy into the team spirit/mentality Parker's constantly talked about over the last year.

I've thought/said all along we need 4 signings minimum, 7 maximum. And of the 4 "needed", Harrison Reed would be one and I think everyone agrees that he's "only" 8m.

I'd be more than happy with spending ~50m this summer getting Harrison Reed, Babel and maybe Arter back in addition to 4 or 5 new faces which wouldn't be too many to where it would actively disrupt the dressing room.

£50m for Reed, Arter, Babel and 4-5 new faces? So about £8m each for the new faces, on average?

All based on your personal assumption that due to Covid "this market", which hasn't even started yet, will be cheaper than previous years.

That despite it being relatively obvious that proven PL players are going for £40m+ each (eg Ake) and good championship players (eg Benrahma, Watkins) aren't going anywhere for less than £20m.

You're acting as though 50m is pennies, and by the way it's more or less exactly what Sheffield Utd spent and they did alright.

I know exactly what I want out of this window. The "needed" transfers are a Left Centre-Back, Right-Back, Harrison Reed and a Winger;
Ethan Pinnock (12m), Joakim Maehle (14m), Harrison Reed (8m), Ryan Babel (ideally we'd get Cash + Babel for Seri). Roughly 30m spent.

Additional three I'd like but aren't absolutely "must haves" are a back-up Left-Back, another Centre-Mid and a genuine back-up Striker;
Jorge (3-4m), either Harry Arter for (~5m) or go for a "prospect" like Enock Mwepu (15m), Ivan Toney (6-8m). 17-27m spent. 47-57m spent total.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: JimOG on August 11, 2020, 08:19:16 AM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 11, 2020, 07:49:43 AM
I want Kongolo back...on a purchase. I don't know how many people noticed ...but the game where he injured himself...he played the last 10 minutes hurt.

I'd much rather have him as a backup LB/LCB than MLM...if healthy.

Agreed - he has the pace and determination plus he fits Parker's view of not being another 'new boy'

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk
If we could afford to take Kongolo when we were in the Championship, and now we find ourselves in the Prem and the Terriers are floundering still in Championship this must be a real possibility. Especially if Parker likes him or at least we know what we are getting. As long as the recovery is complete rather than we get into yet another Mawson situation. I thought he looked great with Hector for the short time they played together...
Quark, strangeness and charm

Riversider

Villa in for Ollie Watkins, would love to see both Watkins and Rico Henry at Fulham.

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 11, 2020, 01:50:48 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 11, 2020, 01:28:28 PM

Oh, I don't doubt clubs will spend less, but my comment was more indicative at clubs undervaluing players in spite of this.
Is it undervaluing or just having an upper limit for what you will pay for a player. Did we under value targett or were saints over valuing him. I can really see transfer fees and wages coming down over the next few years. As I already mentioned domestic tv revenue is falling and the oversees tv revenue will follow suit. 22 is when the contract is up, so all clubs need to bare this in mind or we could see a lot more clubs go up the swanny

fulhamben

Quote from: Riversider on August 11, 2020, 02:47:14 PM
Villa in for Ollie Watkins, would love to see both Watkins and Rico Henry at Fulham.
id loan them and then loan them out to qpr for sh!ts and giggles 😂

dgnffc

Ex-Brentford manager at Villa of course

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We Are Premier League

I'm worried about our forwards/wingers, not sure that either Kebano/Cavaleiro/Kamara/Knockhaert/Reid is a starter but i doubt we will sign two players to replaced them...and which of them would you sell...Mitro + 2 signings + 5 existing is 8; which probably is too many...

The Rational Fan

Quote from: We Are Premier League on August 11, 2020, 03:52:32 PM
I'm worried about our forwards/wingers, not sure that either Kebano/Cavaleiro/Kamara/Knockhaert/Reid is a starter but i doubt we will sign two players to replaced them...and which of them would you sell...Mitro + 2 signings + 5 existing is 8; which probably is too many...

I wouldn't sell any wingers. If we get two new wingers into the team, I would send two of our wingers on loan for the first half of the season say Kebano and Kamara to get some practice, then bring them back to replace our poorest performing wingers and if all our wingers are performing send them on loan again.

The Rock

Quote from: fulhamben on August 10, 2020, 08:41:08 PM
Quote from: The Rock on August 10, 2020, 08:34:14 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 10, 2020, 07:47:37 PM
Quote from: The Rock on August 10, 2020, 07:08:52 PM
Quote from: Tabby on August 10, 2020, 06:52:07 PM
New Tony Khan interview in the times, some highlights.

About budget:

"We won't spend £100m again, I don't think we need to. The best players we bought are still with us. I feel better about the club, it's not as if we have to build again. I have already exercised most of options on loan payers and I expect the squad to look very similar to the one that got promoted."

About Reed:

"I'm working on it. I have an option to buy and I think he does want to stay."

About Seri and Anguissa:

"I love both players. The plan now is for them both to return to train with us in a couple of weeks. If the right bid came in, I'd have to consider it but right now they're aiming to come back to Fulham. Zambo is under contract for three more years and I believe in him. They like him a lot in Spain. Nobody is going to get Frank cheap. He's a great asset."

And finally about Ryan Sess:

"I am not not interested. Ryan already played for us in the Premier League and he didn't do enough to keep us in there. We get two [Premier League] loans and I can't be in the business of developing other people's players when they don't have time to play them. In my statistical system, I actually rated Josh [Onomah] equally with Sessegnon."

I will stop short of slagging TK for the 743rd time as he has to say this kind of stuff, especially if any given player is in the store front window waiting to be sold to the highest bidder.

No money needs to be spent net/net. You sell Seri, MLM and Mawson 20-25m total and replace them with one or two proven defenders, that's almost all the team needs. Zambo to Villareal for 22m would be great business. If TK keeps him he better be sure he can actually be the ~ 25m + player he really should have been that never was for us.
why would 22m be great business? We payed more than that for him and he's just had a great season.

I think he wasn't worth the price tag based on his performance with us season before last, and he didn't fit in the side most of the season.

Just because he had a great season away doesn't mean he will magically fit with our plans and system. I hope he's improved.

Not my call though. 50/50 chance he comes back and sets the PL alight with us which would be fantastic. Seems a gamble; a repeat mediocre repeat performance would go over like a lead balloon. I like Reed and Onomah for their value in MF.

I'd rather we sell some of these players and bring in proper defenders. I'd sell Seri long before Zambo though.

thats great sell them if you want, but why take a huge loss on him. Would you sell mitro for 15 million?

No. Zambo I thought we paid ~ 30m for for ~ 4 years. It's been two years, someone else has paid his wages for one of those years, and if we got 22m-25m for him that would be decent biz/straight up recoups our loss and then some after depreciation over time.

If you rate him higher, which it seems you do, you may disagree.

St. Andrews White

Kyle Walker-Peters gone to Southampton with Hojberg going the other way. Puts paid to that rumour

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

FFC1987

Quote from: St. Andrews White on August 11, 2020, 06:16:58 PM
Kyle Walker-Peters gone to Southampton with Hojberg going the other way. Puts paid to that rumour

Was always going to happen. Hojberg is not good enough for a starting spot at Spurs.....

St. Andrews White

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 11, 2020, 06:18:21 PM
Quote from: St. Andrews White on August 11, 2020, 06:16:58 PM

Was always going to happen. Hojberg is not good enough for a starting spot at Spurs.....
Aye, never gave much credence to the KWP rumour to us.

Actually think Hojberg will do well there and Spurs have gotten him for a good fee. Not the prettiest player but a functional cog they're lacking atm

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

Statto

Right let's see what the fees are. If the assertions above are correct then they should be cheaper than a couple of years ago. Going rate then would have been about £12m for Watkins and £6m for Henry.

Statto

Quote from: fulhamben on August 11, 2020, 02:49:21 PM
As I already mentioned domestic tv revenue is falling and the oversees tv revenue will follow suit.

Source?
Not sure why people being banned from grounds would mean less interest in live football on TV.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on August 11, 2020, 06:40:00 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 11, 2020, 02:49:21 PM
As I already mentioned domestic tv revenue is falling and the oversees tv revenue will follow suit.

Source?
Not sure why people being banned from grounds would mean less interest in live football on TV.
it was on talksport. Domestic tv income had already dropped and like I said Chinese broadcaster if refusing 160 million that it owed from last season.

St. Andrews White