Main Menu

Transfer Deadline Day

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 27, 2020, 09:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestSussexWhite

Kongolo medical due today....for around 8 million pounds. Things are happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jelmo

Kongolo.... Another championship level player who will most likely stay with us next year as he was willing to come to us last year when we were already in that division.

absenteeism

9 million is very expensive for someone coming back off of a terrible injrry

Deeping_white

Quote from: bencher on September 24, 2020, 12:08:45 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on September 24, 2020, 12:00:59 PM
Since 2018 Amartey has had a 3 month lay off from a hamstring injury and then required surgery on his ankle so was out for about 7 months, added to the fact he's not very good. If we sign him as a CB I really don't see the point, and if we sign him as a DM we're also a bit stuffed because he's just not very good. Even at €4m I fail to see the value

We've lacked a DM in the squad that doesn't really play at all since Cisse left us so perhaps he's earmarked for that role? More seriously, we all expect KMac to leave, and that leaves us with only Reed as a DM. Amartey may or may not be better than Reed (and on paper at least you'd probably say he is better), but we will need a second DM one way or another. 4 million Euros for a DM that is an international and has played 46 games in the PL at a decent team and is only 25 is a pretty decent deal.

We need a good DM that's reliable since Reed has niggly injury issues and will probably end up suspended at some stage from accumulating yellow card and Amartey is a makeshift DM if we do sign him to play there. If we spend the season with one DM (unproven at this level) and a DM who's played almost half his appearances in defence as his backup then I would be a bit worried. He's only made 17 appearances in the PL since 2017/18 as well

The Cravenette

Deeping_white

Quote from: jelmo on September 24, 2020, 12:13:20 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on September 24, 2020, 12:00:59 PM
Since 2018 Amartey has had a 3 month lay off from a hamstring injury and then required surgery on his ankle so was out for about 7 months, added to the fact he's not very good. If we sign him as a CB I really don't see the point, and if we sign him as a DM we're also a bit stuffed because he's just not very good. Even at €4m I fail to see the value

True. But part of me thinks that we are making signings that won't bankrupt us during these uncertain times (as we are most likely to go down). Also, Amartey will probably be one of the better players in the championship (as he is at the level where he will stick with us if/when we do go down). To be honest.... The only player whois currently a nailed on starter for us that would definitely leave if we go down is Anguissa. SO I suppose we are making signings not just for this year, but next year as well...

With our current team, we would most probably walk the championship next year. That will be more fun than trying to scrape draws each week in the Premier league.

Thats my (semi) positive spin on this one.

Maybe it's just me but if what you hypothesise what the club is doing is actually true then I'd be severely disappointed that they're expecting to get relegated and buying players for next season. With proper recruitment we could easily survive this season, spending money on players like Amartey just seems a waste because he's going to be on a big salary too, and he's also a crock so it's like what's the point? I watched him against Arsenal last night and he looked worse than Odoi, Hector and Ream did and he was lucky to not give a stonewall penalty away, so we could potentially be replacing our old guard with a younger and worse version

WestSussexWhite

Amartey has been our injured for 2 years, Last night was his first game for 2 yearsp

Deeping_white

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on September 24, 2020, 12:24:05 PM
Amartey has been our injured for 2 years, Last night was his first game for 2 yearsp
He played last season in the EFL Trophy

Jim©

Quote from: jelmo on September 24, 2020, 12:15:51 PM
Kongolo.... Another championship level player who will most likely stay with us next year as he was willing to come to us last year when we were already in that division.

He's played 12 games out of a career total of 234 in the Championship. He's played more games in the Europa league than Championship.

Bracken White

Seems to me that many feel that big money signings are the only answer - much as the club did a year or two back. I believe it is players who can do the job for us competently in positions we need. So awaiting to see what we can achieve strategically this window but without totally changing last season's side.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

Hoppus

Quote from: Jim© on September 24, 2020, 12:27:13 PM

He's played 12 games out of a career total of 234 in the Championship. He's played more games in the Europa league than Championship.

How many games did he play last season?

FFC1987

I can't believe some of the nonsense on here today. Kongolo isn't a championship player and he's not on the back end of a bad injury. As someone else has mentioned he's played in better leagues and competitions and looked head and shoulders better than his team mates in that Huddersfield team minus Mooy. His injury is barely what you'd say is bad in professional terms.

filham

Quote from: Bracken White on September 24, 2020, 12:30:07 PM
Seems to me that many feel that big money signings are the only answer - much as the club did a year or two back. I believe it is players who can do the job for us competently in positions we need. So awaiting to see what we can achieve strategically this window but without totally changing last season's side.
OK but rumours are indicating that we are in no way inhibited by a sicknote history. That is not reassuring.

Tabby

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 24, 2020, 12:33:12 PM
I can't believe some of the nonsense on here today. Kongolo isn't a championship player and he's not on the back end of a bad injury. As someone else has mentioned he's played in better leagues and competitions and looked head and shoulders better than his team mates in that Huddersfield team minus Mooy. His injury is barely what you'd say is bad in professional terms.

It was a bad injury in that it took a long time to get over, but it isn't something that is reoccurring like a knee injury.

Caedal

As we all know, no player is good enough to play for us (according to alot of people on here) as they clearly arent better than the championship players that got us promoted. Doesnt matter if you've won the champions league, or world cup, if you werent part of the promotion team you're rubbish.

Not even Gerrard Pique was deemed good enough by members of this board

Deeping_white

Think Kongolo is a bit of a false equivalence when you look at the league we're getting him from, he's a good player that got relegated in a bad team and then wasn't quite up for playing in the championship which you can kind of understand when you consider the team and manager he was working with. I think he's got plenty to offer as a LCB, although I don't get why we'd offer big money for Todibo if we're signing him and Marlon, unless we're on the verge of going 3-5-2

FFC1987

Quote from: Tabby on September 24, 2020, 12:39:07 PM

It was a bad injury in that it took a long time to get over, but it isn't something that is reoccurring like a knee injury.

You wouldn't call a basic foot injury like he had a bad injury though. Its a par for the course injury for most footballers that rarely, if ever set them back in terms of performance.

Tabby

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 24, 2020, 12:42:24 PM
Quote from: Tabby on September 24, 2020, 12:39:07 PM

You wouldn't call a basic foot injury like he had a bad injury though. Its a par for the course injury for most footballers that rarely, if ever set them back in terms of performance.

I'd consider any injury that leaves you off the field for 9 months to be bad. He has just started getting back into regular training.

cmg

Quote from: Caedal on September 24, 2020, 12:39:44 PM
As we all know, no player is good enough to play for us (according to alot of people on here) as they clearly arent better than the championship players that got us promoted. Doesnt matter if you've won the champions league, or world cup, if you werent part of the promotion team you're rubbish.

Not even Gerrard Pique was deemed good enough by members of this board

True enough, but also....
Any player we don't sign is world class and represents a missed opportunity/inept negotiating.
Any player that leaves us, even on loan, however heavily criticized when playing, was, in fact vital and should never have been let go.

bencher

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 24, 2020, 12:41:34 PM

Think Kongolo is a bit of a false equivalence when you look at the league we're getting him from, he's a good player that got relegated in a bad team and then wasn't quite up for playing in the championship which you can kind of understand when you consider the team and manager he was working with. I think he's got plenty to offer as a LCB, although I don't get why we'd offer big money for Todibo if we're signing him and Marlon, unless we're on the verge of going 3-5-2

I think it's quite simple:

We bid for say, 3 centre backs at the same time, with an order of preference. We work on all three deals simultaneously, and if e.g. Todibo comes off, we pull out of Kongolo.

NB our assumption is that because Todibo is more expensive, he's our no. 1 preference, but it doesn't necessarily work that way. As a straight comparison, Kongolo has far more experience at PL level and the top level generally. Todibo may have a higher ceiling, but as we've seen with Anguissa, we do really need a player that will be the difference maker this season, not one who might be the difference maker in 1-2 seasons' time.