watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer Deadline Day

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 27, 2020, 09:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronaldinho

Kongolo is a good addition if we do sign him.

Tall, pacey, good ball-playing centre-back and most of all a natural left-footer. Which is rare to find these days.

Best years ahead of him, and got a strong CV.

Player of the season when he joined Hudds in prem and they stayed up. Fell out with management there hence less games.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

Riverside

Quote from: Caedal on September 24, 2020, 12:39:44 PM
As we all know, no player is good enough to play for us (according to alot of people on here) as they clearly arent better than the championship players that got us promoted. Doesnt matter if you've won the champions league, or world cup, if you werent part of the promotion team you're rubbish.

Not even Gerrard Pique was deemed good enough by members of this board

BUT if they chose another club they are worldbeaters that Tony Khan has screwed up by not getting to sign for us :-)

Ivorwasgod

i would say that Marlon, Kongolo, Amarty would all be solid signings  we arent in the 'spending £50m' on a player end of the league

so far i'd say Tete was a much better bargain that £15m Cash to Villa (who i was disapppointed we didnt sign at the time)

we do need something more up top - lookman seems more likely than a mitro-alike - but also to have some pace up front i love Mitro but he's not a pacey striker and we need to be able to counter attack in this league.   

the question is having not spent hugely in this window do they have a getting near the window Josh King splurge in mind ?  we know they like a deadline day signing or two   

we have 1 (?) EPL loan slot left dont we ?   

dfwilson84

Quote from: Ivorwasgod on September 24, 2020, 01:17:32 PM
i would say that Marlon, Kongolo, Amarty would all be solid signings  we arent in the 'spending £50m' on a player end of the league

so far i'd say Tete was a much better bargain that £15m Cash to Villa (who i was disapppointed we didnt sign at the time)

we do need something more up top - lookman seems more likely than a mitro-alike - but also to have some pace up front i love Mitro but he's not a pacey striker and we need to be able to counter attack in this league.   

the question is having not spent hugely in this window do they have a getting near the window Josh King splurge in mind ?  we know they like a deadline day signing or two   

we have 1 (?) EPL loan slot left dont we ?

I agree that we should be looking at Josh King. Can play wide and provide a goal threat or provide Mitro cover to a higher level than AK and BDR in this league I reckon.

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 24, 2020, 12:33:12 PM
I can't believe some of the nonsense on here today. Kongolo isn't a championship player and he's not on the back end of a bad injury. As someone else has mentioned he's played in better leagues and competitions and looked head and shoulders better than his team mates in that Huddersfield team minus Mooy. His injury is barely what you'd say is bad in professional terms.

:plus one:

The Rock

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 24, 2020, 01:21:51 PM
I can't believe some of the nonsense on here today. Kongolo isn't a championship player and he's not on the back end of a bad injury. As someone else has mentioned he's played in better leagues and competitions and looked head and shoulders better than his team mates in that Huddersfield team minus Mooy. His injury is barely what you'd say is bad in professional terms.

I'd like to +2 this, but he only played in a few matches for us before getting injured right? I don't feel qualified to have an opinion as we really haven't seen him yet.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 24, 2020, 12:17:59 PM
Quote from: bencher on September 24, 2020, 12:08:45 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on September 24, 2020, 12:00:59 PM
Since 2018 Amartey has had a 3 month lay off from a hamstring injury and then required surgery on his ankle so was out for about 7 months, added to the fact he's not very good. If we sign him as a CB I really don't see the point, and if we sign him as a DM we're also a bit stuffed because he's just not very good. Even at €4m I fail to see the value

We've lacked a DM in the squad that doesn't really play at all since Cisse left us so perhaps he's earmarked for that role? More seriously, we all expect KMac to leave, and that leaves us with only Reed as a DM. Amartey may or may not be better than Reed (and on paper at least you'd probably say he is better), but we will need a second DM one way or another. 4 million Euros for a DM that is an international and has played 46 games in the PL at a decent team and is only 25 is a pretty decent deal.

We need a good DM that's reliable since Reed has niggly injury issues and will probably end up suspended at some stage from accumulating yellow card and Amartey is a makeshift DM if we do sign him to play there. If we spend the season with one DM (unproven at this level) and a DM who's played almost half his appearances in defence as his backup then I would be a bit worried. He's only made 17 appearances in the PL since 2017/18 as well

Amartey played as CB years ago now. In the PL he has played as DM or RB. Don't know how you define makeshift, but it is not as if a player is born into just one role. Even back when he played CB he also featured in midfield. The thing about his last few seasons is however a risk, but we should remember that he played quite a lot before in a very good Leicester side. There is no problem in my book with signing fairly cheap players (don't think he demands a very high salary, he joined Leicester from Denmark) that can cover multiple positions, are still young, have experience of the league and would likely stay IF we are relegated. 

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rock on September 24, 2020, 01:26:18 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on September 24, 2020, 01:21:51 PM

I'd like to +2 this, but he only played in a few matches for us before getting injured right? I don't feel qualified to have an opinion as we really haven't seen him yet.

Personally I base nothing of this on his time with us, but if we want him back it seems likely that we liked what we saw for the little time he was here before. But if you look at his career, it is unfair to lable him as a championship player. In my opinion.

Ivorwasgod

[/quote]
Amartey played as CB years ago now. In the PL he has played as DM or RB. Don't know how you define makeshift, but it is not as if a player is born into just one role. Even back when he played CB he also featured in midfield. The thing about his last few seasons is however a risk, but we should remember that he played quite a lot before in a very good Leicester side. There is no problem in my book with signing fairly cheap players (don't think he demands a very high salary, he joined Leicester from Denmark) that can cover multiple positions, are still young, have experience of the league and would likely stay IF we are relegated.
[/quote]

+1

Deeping_white

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 24, 2020, 01:29:06 PM
Since 2018 Amartey has had a 3 month lay off from a hamstring injury and then required surgery on his ankle so was out for about 7 months, added to the fact he's not very good. If we sign him as a CB I really don't see the point, and if we sign him as a DM we're also a bit stuffed because he's just not very good. Even at €4m I fail to see the value

We've lacked a DM in the squad that doesn't really play at all since Cisse left us so perhaps he's earmarked for that role? More seriously, we all expect KMac to leave, and that leaves us with only Reed as a DM. Amartey may or may not be better than Reed (and on paper at least you'd probably say he is better), but we will need a second DM one way or another. 4 million Euros for a DM that is an international and has played 46 games in the PL at a decent team and is only 25 is a pretty decent deal.

We need a good DM that's reliable since Reed has niggly injury issues and will probably end up suspended at some stage from accumulating yellow card and Amartey is a makeshift DM if we do sign him to play there. If we spend the season with one DM (unproven at this level) and a DM who's played almost half his appearances in defence as his backup then I would be a bit worried. He's only made 17 appearances in the PL since 2017/18 as well

He played as a CB as recently as last night. If a player can't be a nailed on performer in one role for a certain team then it shows they're not good enough. The only season he's ever played consistently for Leicester is the season after they won the PL, in which they were flirting with relegation for most of the season, and since then he's been chronically injured. If he hadn't spent much time injured then I would suggest it might be a decent gamble, but he's literally only made 12 appearances in the last two years and if we're going to be in a relegation dogfight, we don't need him being a crock when he's our backup DM who should see regular game time in theory. I take a keen interest in Leicester as I have family who support them and like I said in another comment - watching him last night he put in a worse performance than any of our defenders did against a weaker Arsenal team.

JimOG

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 24, 2020, 12:21:39 PM
Quote from: jelmo on September 24, 2020, 12:13:20 PM

True. But part of me thinks that we are making signings that won't bankrupt us during these uncertain times (as we are most likely to go down). Also, Amartey will probably be one of the better players in the championship (as he is at the level where he will stick with us if/when we do go down). To be honest.... The only player whois currently a nailed on starter for us that would definitely leave if we go down is Anguissa. SO I suppose we are making signings not just for this year, but next year as well...

With our current team, we would most probably walk the championship next year. That will be more fun than trying to scrape draws each week in the Premier league.

Thats my (semi) positive spin on this one.

Maybe it's just me but if what you hypothesise what the club is doing is actually true then I'd be severely disappointed that they're expecting to get relegated and buying players for next season. With proper recruitment we could easily survive this season, spending money on players like Amartey just seems a waste because he's going to be on a big salary too, and he's also a crock so it's like what's the point? I watched him against Arsenal last night and he looked worse than Odoi, Hector and Ream did and he was lucky to not give a stonewall penalty away, so we could potentially be replacing our old guard with a younger and worse version

I was thinking much the same re: relegation. I think we've a better more realistic manager plus SK & TK have had 2 more years to understand the English League but (& it's a big but) our very late promotion plus the fact that we do not have a solid, well rehearsed defence makes us very likely candidates for the drop. Is their current buying policy with that in mind - a 3 year plan to come back with a better quality Championship side a la Wolves or Newcastle so this time we'll stay and have an impact?

finknottle

Leicester have confirmed that Ndidi is out for 12 weeks so they may want to hang on to Amartey now.

fulhamfever

Quote from: finknottle on September 24, 2020, 02:06:18 PM
Leicester have confirmed that Ndidi is out for 12 weeks so they may want to hang on to Amartey now.

They will sign a new holding midfielder

absenteeism

[Fabrizio Romano on Twitter] Everton first choice as CB is Tomori but #CFC are trying to keep him and loan out Rudiger. That's why #EFC have now re-opened talks with Barcelona to sign Todibo. Loan with buy option [€18m] offered, but #FCB want to sell him on a permanent deal to sign Eric Garcia

Hoppus

Quote from: absenteeism on September 24, 2020, 02:53:57 PM

[Fabrizio Romano on Twitter] Everton first choice as CB is Tomori but #CFC are trying to keep him and loan out Rudiger. That's why #EFC have now re-opened talks with Barcelona to sign Todibo. Loan with buy option [€18m] offered, but #FCB want to sell him on a permanent deal to sign Eric Garcia

Rudiger is a better option then Kongolo?

finknottle

Quote from: Hoppus on September 24, 2020, 03:01:55 PM
Quote from: absenteeism on September 24, 2020, 02:53:57 PM

Rudiger is a better option then Kongolo?

Yes he is. Which is why Barcelona are trying to sign him!

Sting of the North

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 24, 2020, 01:42:44 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on September 24, 2020, 01:29:06 PM

He played as a CB as recently as last night. If a player can't be a nailed on performer in one role for a certain team then it shows they're not good enough. The only season he's ever played consistently for Leicester is the season after they won the PL, in which they were flirting with relegation for most of the season, and since then he's been chronically injured. If he hadn't spent much time injured then I would suggest it might be a decent gamble, but he's literally only made 12 appearances in the last two years and if we're going to be in a relegation dogfight, we don't need him being a crock when he's our backup DM who should see regular game time in theory. I take a keen interest in Leicester as I have family who support them and like I said in another comment - watching him last night he put in a worse performance than any of our defenders did against a weaker Arsenal team.

Last night was the third time in his five years with Leicester that he played CB in a competitive game, so not sure that strengthens your point at all. Kmac played CB for us in the cup against Villa, but that doesn't mean it is accurate to describe him as being a CB for us.

Of course there was every risk that he would look bad against one of the best teams in the league, playing in a position he very rarely plays in nowadays after only having played 12 times in the last two years. Surely we won't sign him on his performances the last two years, but because before that he looked an up and coming player with a lot of potential. Those two years is the reason for why he is so cheap, which is why we may feel we can afford the gamble. We have no idea what the short term plan is here, and whether he is thought as the immediate back up to Reed or not.

I profundly disagree that versatility in iteslf is a negative characteristic of a player. Out of interest on the makeshift thing, did you consider a player like Rooney not good enough for Man Utd? Or Mascherano not good enough for Barcelona? They both shifted between roles.

Lastly, if he was currently deemed good enough to be a regular starter for today's Leicester we would probably have no chance to sign him, so we cannot get players from them that they deem good enough. This is the way we get PL experience into our team, we have to go for players that relegated teams cannot afford to keep or players that better teams than us deem surplus to requirements.

For what it's worth, I don't think Amartey would be an overwhelming signing by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it may be a good gamble as it ticks many boxes. Not every transfer has to immediately solve a short term problem.

In my opinion.

Nero

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Nero on September 24, 2020, 05:14:38 PM
Rumours on sky Cardiff enquiry about knockhert

Please yes. £5m or £6m would be fine, if we can get more even better.