https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The 64 Million Dollar question for me !

Started by Riversider, June 21, 2020, 10:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Quote from: General on June 22, 2020, 12:27:43 AM
Distilled simply into three areas

1) We have a largely untested manager as our manager. Parker may be getting us in third with this squad and third in the championship is great in many ways, but, in all reality someone with more experience and who knows the league better would simply be expected to get better results. Almost all of our players have dominated this league with their respective teams before joining us. We have lost a lot of points against teams with smaller budgets and less able players. Part of being a manager is man management and players and the squad is underperforming, we should be walking this league. I know it's a very confident statement, but honestly we have lost a lot of points (points that would have us out in the lead) where we shouldn't have. 6 points of Barnsley for instance.

2) We have Tony Khan running things - he's dettached from the club didn't know much about Football before he joined and hasn't committed himself since to really getting the necessary understanding of both the club and the football management style of things.

3) Brentford's academy is unique and pretty special. They go for the top academy dropouts from the premier league who get let go and they give them a second chance and bring them into their first team as they got rid of their academy a few years ago. It's been a masterstroke from them and has shown what concerted effort and thought into developing the club properly.
My only comment refers to point 2, why is it we football supporters are so arrogant to assume that TK after being here a good few years now, doesn't know anything about football, we have no idea how he goes about dealing with agents, other clubs current players etc, I for one reckons he knows a lot more about running a football club than most of us.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

I doubt that very much, as the General said he is detached due to his lack of time and the fact that he does not have his finger on the pulse as he should have. He runs his mouth a lot as brash people do but he forgets that you cannot bullshite a bullshiter.
He is neither qualified or capable of holding down this position and certainly not at this level, he is here because he is his fathers son, anyone else would have been sacked. Nepotism still reigns which collides with a conflict of interest. 
There are a lot of unqualified people in jobs they should not be in because of who they know as well having plenty of front and flannel.
He pops up now and again and says what fans want to hear. If he stated that he once gorged on Burgandy served in a Human Skull, would you believe him ? Of course not, and neither would I, but many would.
I note when there is controversy or we are in a dark place, he keeps under the radar, which tells you a lot more about his ability or lack of it to want to eat dirt like others have to. 
If you pray for rain you have to deal with the mud as well.
The higher up the mountain the more treacherous the path. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: Riversider on June 21, 2020, 10:45:20 AM
How can Wolves and Brentford continually get their recruitment right while Fulham continually get their recruitment so wrong ?

Two words....Tony Khan.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Whitestone

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on June 22, 2020, 09:52:39 AM
How can Wolves and Brentford continually get their recruitment right while Fulham continually get their recruitment so wrong ?

Two words....Tony Khan.

Have we got our recruitment wrong ? I don't necessarily think so. Not all signings work out for a myriad of reasons. It's the same at every club. Many  posters on this site seem to think we have the best squad in the division. I think we have a decent squad but just because we have an expensively recruited squad it doesn't automatically  translate into the best squad. The main reason that Brentford recruit in the way they do is because they don't have the financial muscle to do it any other way. The opposite can be said of Wolves and Fulham. We should consider ourself fortunate that we have an owner who is prepared to finance signings.

As for Tony Khan let's be serious he isn't recruiting players on his own. He heads up a team that do that for him.

Huxley

Wolves getting top players for top money with the Mendes connection. Easy. Brentford, although they wouldn't turn down the premier league, are operating on a smaller budget than Fulham. They have no academy. The go for discards. Some work, some don't. If they don't it not big loss. Fulham however must get back into the Premier league due to high profile players, their associated costs and investment made. We are in between the wolves and brentford model. Fans are demanding top premier league players on a championship budget. We went into the French market and in hind sight got poor value. Would you rather be a club that patiently builds up resources and is a selling club, a club that is doing some dubious business with a super agent or a club that has ambition but doesn't quite get it right all the time.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Whitestone on June 22, 2020, 10:15:52 AM

Two words....Tony Khan.

Have we got our recruitment wrong ? I don't necessarily think so. Not all signings work out for a myriad of reasons. It's the same at every club. Many  posters on this site seem to think we have the best squad in the division. I think we have a decent squad but just because we have an expensively recruited squad it doesn't automatically  translate into the best squad. The main reason that Brentford recruit in the way they do is because they don't have the financial muscle to do it any other way. The opposite can be said of Wolves and Fulham. We should consider ourself fortunate that we have an owner who is prepared to finance signings.

As for Tony Khan let's be serious he isn't recruiting players on his own. He heads up a team that do that for him.

Therefore the buck stops with the owners son who seems to have some immunity from taking responsibility for his Cracked Recruitment Unit I would have thought, wouldn't you.
If his father thinks his son can keep half a dozen plates in the air at the same time, then he is in for a surprise when he sees all the broken crockery laying on the shag pile carpet.
It strikes me as palpable absurdity to keep him in a position he is unqualified to do just because of nepotism, which in turn is at Fulhams expense.

Never forget your Roots.

Whitestone

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 22, 2020, 10:33:41 AM
Quote from: Whitestone on June 22, 2020, 10:15:52 AM

Two words....Tony Khan.

Therefore the buck stops with the owners son who seems to have some immunity from taking responsibility for his Cracked Recruitment Unit I would have thought, wouldn't you.
If his father thinks his son can keep half a dozen plates in the air at the same time, then he is in for a surprise when he sees all the broken crockery laying on the shag pile carpet.
It strikes me as palpable absurdity to keep him in a position he is unqualified to do just because of nepotism, which in turn is at Fulhams expense.

I do agree with you. It does on the face of it seem a ridiculous appointment.

Riversider

Quote from: Huxley on June 22, 2020, 10:32:34 AM
Wolves getting top players for top money with the Mendes connection. Easy. Brentford, although they wouldn't turn down the premier league, are operating on a smaller budget than Fulham. They have no academy. The go for discards. Some work, some don't. If they don't it not big loss. Fulham however must get back into the Premier league due to high profile players, their associated costs and investment made. We are in between the wolves and brentford model. Fans are demanding top premier league players on a championship budget. We went into the French market and in hind sight got poor value. Would you rather be a club that patiently builds up resources and is a selling club, a club that is doing some dubious business with a super agent or a club that has ambition but doesn't quite get it right all the time.

So your final point is basically "Would I rather be in Brentfords position right now rather than Fulhams ?"
Hell Yes !
We need Brentford to go up automatically,  because we've got no chance in the play offs if they are in them, I hope they thrash WBA on Friday night.

jarv

With a rookie manager, some flaws in the team, I checked the table and we are clear THIRD. Not bad in a division where anybody can beat anybody....Barnsley...ouch.

Living in USA I dont get to see games but maybe a Mullery type leader on the pitch would help. (Based on comments on here). Mullery did wonders for a good team in the 70s.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes an Alan Mullery type leader on the field of play who leads by example and takes no prisoners is the kind of leader we are shy of. Mullery would run through a brick wall and come out fighting on the other side. Because that is what leaders do, and if he saw one of his team mates not pulling their weight he would send them away with a flee in their ear.
Cairney wouldn't know where to start because he never says a Dickie Bird, I dread to think what would happen if somebody said BOO to him.
There are matters and issues no matter how small are overlooked that a Sunday morning side would not want to miss, and the Captaincy is one of them. 

Never forget your Roots.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Riversider on June 22, 2020, 01:25:37 PM

So your final point is basically "Would I rather be in Brentfords position right now rather than Fulhams ?"
Hell Yes !
We need Brentford to go up automatically,  because we've got no chance in the play offs if they are in them, I hope they thrash WBA on Friday night.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that we don't stand a chance against Brentford when just a few days ago we showed that we clearly do. Why the constant need for hyperbole?

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on June 22, 2020, 02:31:34 PM

Hell Yes !

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that we don't stand a chance against Brentford when just a few days ago we showed that we clearly do. Why the constant need for hyperbole?

Having watched the game again, soon as Reid missed his chance and energy levels started to dwindle, I still maintain Brentford looked comfortable for vast majority of game.

colinwhite

Then again so did we. they got lucky with 2 minutes to go ,if we had taken our chances it would have been a different story.

Sting of the North

Regardless, of course we have quite a good chance of beating any team in the playoffs. If nothing else because we have many players who on their day create a bit of magic.

colinwhite

Riversider

Hell Yes !

Allow me to educate you on Fulham history,  Brentford are the ultimate bogey team, we've beaten them only once in the league at Craven Cottage since 1953, oh and they've just done the double of us without one of their best players,
Believe me, we want Brentford to go up automatically.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Riversider on June 22, 2020, 05:16:54 PM

Hell Yes !

Allow me to educate you on Fulham history,  Brentford are the ultimate bogey team, we've beaten them only once in the league at Craven Cottage since 1953, oh and they've just done the double of us without one of their best players,

Yes, that is all well known. Since I don't believe in bogey teams (coincidences are just that) it matters little to me personally, but understand that some people are more superstitious. As I said, we showed on Saturday that we have a good chance of beating them, regardless of the result on the day. That's enough for me for now. I am optimistic beforehand about our chances in a play off, but will of course be pessimistic on the day like I always am because of the nerves.

Whitestone

Quote from: Riversider on June 22, 2020, 05:16:54 PM

Hell Yes !

Believe me we don't. I think it'll be a very small minority if indeed anyone else who who want Brentford to go up at all. Let's get behind our team and target the top two. Forget about Brentford they're nothing special and if it's the play offs for both of us which is my guess let's ensure we're the ones smiling at the end of the season.

Penfold

Quote from: colinwhite on June 22, 2020, 04:34:48 PM
Then again so did we. they got lucky with 2 minutes to go ,if we had taken our chances it would have been a different story.

In what way did they get lucky with two minutes to go? Did they not just take their chance that they created?

Statto

Quote from: Penfold on June 22, 2020, 06:32:09 PM
Quote from: colinwhite on June 22, 2020, 04:34:48 PM

In what way did they get lucky with two minutes to go? Did they not just take their chance that they created?

Perhaps a better way to put it would be to say they got lucky earlier in the match when we didn't take chances we created, eg when Reid hit the underside of the bar and when Mitro headed the ball too close to their keeper from just a few yards out