watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

For what is worth,

Started by Peabody, July 03, 2020, 10:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

This is my view. Sacrilege I know, but I really don't want us to go up this season. The three who I think will go up are Leeds, Brentford and WBA, they deserve to go up. I truly believe that it will be a struggle for them because there will be a very short time for them to strengthen their squads, an essential if they want to survive, plus a much shorter bedding in period, again, essential as we found to our cost. I think Brentford, with their manager, are best equipped to survive, provided they don't allow their better players to move on. Meanwhile, we can look forward to next season,  having learned a lot from this season and, maybe bedding in some of our youngsters.

ByTheRiver

Whilst I do agree with your logic, we could do with resetting the parachute payments. There's no guarantee we would go up next season and then, if not, we would be in big trouble. Budget would be back among the middling clubs, all the big players gone and we are back to buying Ben Pringle type players with playoff places a pipe dream.

I think if we can scrape up this year, even if it means coming straight back down (again not guaranteed, might stay up somehow!), we have to hope and take that until the chance is no longer there. Tomorrow never comes and all that.

Penfold

Assuming we don't go up this year, I would expect to lose Mitrovic.

Peabody

Brentford seem to have managed with a limited budget and no parachute payment

Statto

All I can see next season is less money, potentially some of our best players gone (albeit not a foregone conclusion IMO), better teams coming down from the PL than those going up, and Parker has not improved us at all through the course of this season so I've no reason to believe we'll be any better.

Of course if we've a different manager, that changes things, but with SP in charge, we won't do any better next season than we've done this season   

Statto

Quote from: Peabody on July 03, 2020, 11:30:26 AM

I once met a fat bloke who was a surprisingly fast runner. That doesn't mean anyone wanting to run fast should get fat.

filham

I agree with your logic Peabody and another Championship season could be more enjoyable than yet another relegation season in the Premier league.
However being in the top six with six matches to go presents us with a promotion  opportunity that, if not taken, may be a while in coming around again.
I really can't find it in me to say lets forget this season and hope for better next season.
Even a relegation season in the Premier league has attractions and can be financially rewarding.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Peabody on July 03, 2020, 11:30:26 AM

Brentford have been consistently very very savvy with recruitment (other than Liverpool, possibly the best in terms of value in the entirety of the professional leagues). Now, as much as I think TK did a good job in the summer (his best yet), would you want to take that risk and be reliant on that?

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Statto on July 03, 2020, 11:39:59 AM
All I can see next season is less money, potentially some of our best players gone (albeit not a foregone conclusion IMO), better teams coming down from the PL than those going up, and Parker has not improved us at all through the course of this season so I've no reason to believe we'll be any better.

Of course if we've a different manager, that changes things, but with SP in charge, we won't do any better next season than we've done this season   

Agree with all of this. Some very strong teams set to come down and whichever way it goes with Mitro we will be weaker.

ALG01

I totally understand the logic of the Peabody post.

But it runs counter to everything I believe despite the logic.

I believe that it is best to get to the next level and make sure you do what is necessary to survive. as l;ong as we do not do what we did last time and shoot ourselves in the foot before the season starts all we need do is make fourth to bottom and then proceed. I would rather watch premier leagiue players than championship, the quality we have seen this season is obviously less good and the games rather more tedious.

I want us to go up more than anything. You have to aspire to be the best you can and if we fail this season there is not guarantee we will do better next... you have to take the chance when it comes not delay. we are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.

WindyCity

Quote from: filham on July 03, 2020, 11:44:45 AM
I agree with your logic Peabody and another Championship season could be more enjoyable than yet another relegation season in the Premier league.
However being in the top six with six matches to go presents us with a promotion  opportunity that, if not taken, may be a while in coming around again.
I really can't find it in me to say lets forget this season and hope for better next season.
Even a relegation season in the Premier league has attractions and can be financially rewarding.

I agree with your logic Peabody and another Championship season could be more enjoyable than yet another relegation season in the Premier league.----DON'T AGREE
However being in the top six with six matches to go presents us with a promotion  opportunity that, if not taken, may be a while in coming around again.----AGREE!!!
I really can't find it in me to say lets forget this season and hope for better next season.----AGREE!!
Even a relegation season in the Premier league has attractions and can be financially rewarding.---AGREE!!

YankeeJim

I actually enjoy the football more in the Championship than the Prem. In the Prem we have fully a third of the matches where we can't compete. Trips to Manchester and Liverpool are seldom enjoyable.
Still, football being a business, we need to go up to keep our best players. Tony Khan is long overdue for a player who's a real diamond in the rough and the long shot of a victory at the Bridge is worth a punt.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Sgt Fulham

The Championship can be fun when you're destroying teams like under Slav. Think of the best memories, such as Millwall away, Wolves at home etc. However for the most part it is a long grind full of dull and unimaginative football, playing against brawn rather than brain and players like Jordan Hugill. There is no recognition. You can destroy Leeds and barely anyone cares. At least in the Premier league you can take a proper scalp like Man Utd or Liverpool and get heroic backs to the wall performances. Think 2-0 against Utd, followed by 3-0 the next season. In the Premier League the football can be wonderful to watch, but rarely is in the Championship. I watch a lot of Man City and Liverpool and so it is so noticeable how amateurish our football is compared to theirs. Its like not even watching the same sport. I want Fulham to aspire to that level, however unrealistic. I want the chance to play in Europe again. Mostly I want to forget players like Mark Fotheringham, Sheyi Ojo, and Onomah.

Woolly Mammoth

I can understand why supporters enjoy the Championship for the reasons stated, and in a funny old way so do I.
Nonetheless, our current position means we have a fighting chance of making it to the Premier Division, and we have to fight tooth and nail to achieve that, and the rewards and glory that runs in conjunction with promotion to the top flight.
The alternatives for failing on this occasion and the repercussions could be dire. On the rebound of not making it after all the proper gander of having a good enough squad which is arguably incorrect.
The other side of the coin is that we lose a lot of key players, and with less financial clout, it could be a long hard road in the Championship, and I repeat it could not would.
So it is paramount that we really give our best shot in every sense, because whether you agree or disagree, Success has many Fathers, whereas Failure is an Orphan, and the domino effect of failing can really have dire consequences.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

So Peabody what are you hoping for today, can't really believe that in order to provide insurance against promotion you would like a Fulham defeat when the rest of us are nervous about not getting a clear win.

bog

Morning Peabody. I totally agree about Brentford deserving to go up.  A few years back Uwe Rossler got them out of the doldrums in Div 1 and from then on a recruitment set up to be much admired has produced a conveyer belt of many quality players. Despite selling on many they have maintained a high level in results. I think that the chap in charge of player recruitment is being eyed up by a bigger club.

092.gif     

Woolly Mammoth

I understand that no result or performance is guaranteed or cut and dry.
However, if we are serious contenders for a promotion place, with or without a crowd we have to beat Birmingham one way or another. Otherwise seeds of doubt will start playing on players minds let alone the supporters. So no pressure Fulham but promotion means beating the Birmingham Cities of this world, and then swiftly move on to give Nottingham Forest a bloody nose on Tuesday if we are the force we should be.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: bog on July 04, 2020, 09:54:32 AM
Morning Peabody. I totally agree about Brentford deserving to go up.  A few years back Uwe Rossler got them out of the doldrums in Div 1 and from then on a recruitment set up to be much admired has produced a conveyer belt of many quality players. Despite selling on many they have maintained a high level in results. I think that the chap in charge of player recruitment is being eyed up by a bigger club.

092.gif     
I think they also abandoned their academy and some of the money saved enabled them to invest more in scouting and transfers.
It would be interesting to know if we have recouped the cost of our academy in transfer fees.

blingo

Its about management Mr P. SP simply isnt experienced enough. Do you think that SJ or Roy would not have done loads better? We have put a mini driver into a Ferrari and it doesnt work.

keithh

I do not wish to lose today.