Brentford, watkins and benrahma

Started by ALG01, July 12, 2020, 10:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on July 12, 2020, 12:59:24 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 12, 2020, 12:49:52 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 12, 2020, 12:47:34 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 12, 2020, 12:46:16 PM
'Ayite was as good as Benrahma.' How did you come to that conclusion!?

Their rate of goals and assists per minute in their best seasons

Where would I see that? Be interested to see them in comparison actually.

I think Benrahma is a significantly better player than Ayite (who I really rate btw) and will play a much higher standard than him.

Benrahma this season - 16 goals, 9 assists from 3,277 minutes, 36 starts

Ayite 16/17 - 9 goals, 9 assists from 1,978 minutes, 22 starts

Transfermarkt

Interesting, on whoscored it's similar but Ayite has 7 assists to Benrahmas 8 and 9 goals against Benrahmas 17.

It also shows Benrahma has had 10 MoTM appearances in that time to Ayites 2.

Having watched both quite a bit now, I just see Benrahma as a much better player to be honest.

bobbo

just read the OP not read any replies yet . i agree with all said . i know its easy to blame TK for the signings, and to a large degree he must shoulder the blame . despite the few past signings we made - many years back- we seem over the last 20 years to have been making the same mistake not seemingly able to find those kind of talents. weve let Charlie Goode go as an 18 year old hes playing lower division football and doing well at northampton, who knows with better coaching he may have been ok for us , so theres a bit of blame to ba taken by our scouts as well.   
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Carborundum

It's the missed opportunity to sign Pontus Jannson that has hurt us.  Brentford's attackers play with the confidence of knowing they concede very few.  He is clearly exceptional at Championship level and fell out with Bielsa for the cardinal sin of - get this - trying to stop Aston Villa scoring.  It's bonkers we didn't outbid Brentford.

Texas White

Quote from: bog on July 12, 2020, 10:52:43 AM
100% in agreement. There must be another Vardy somewhere.

It always rankles with me that Cyrille Regis was at Hayes in 1976/7 and we never heard about him and he ended up in the Midlands with WBA.  Sometimes a club is only as good as it's scouting system.   

092.gif

Fulham scouts came and watched him along with many others. They never Made an offer which was crazy as the Hayes chairman was a lifetime Fulham supporter.

SP

Quote from: Carborundum on July 12, 2020, 01:55:34 PM
It's the missed opportunity to sign Pontus Jannson that has hurt us.  Brentford's attackers play with the confidence of knowing they concede very few.  He is clearly exceptional at Championship level and fell out with Bielsa for the cardinal sin of - get this - trying to stop Aston Villa scoring.  It's bonkers we didn't outbid Brentford.

That certainly was a strange one, I never understood why he chose the Bees, I'm sure he must've had numerous other offers from far bigger clubs?

ALG01

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 12, 2020, 12:49:52 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 12, 2020, 12:47:34 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 12, 2020, 12:46:16 PM
'Ayite was as good as Benrahma.' How did you come to that conclusion!?

Their rate of goals and assists per minute in their best seasons

Where would I see that? Be interested to see them in comparison actually.

I think Benrahma is a significantly better player than Ayite (who I really rate btw) and will play a much higher standard than him.

i totally agree they are chalk and cheese. ayite was a good bloke but a bit hoit and miss and was not my idea of a top player. benrahma is looking a thourghbred. nobody in the media ever spoke of ayite as being a top top player who would move on for a big fee. Ben is the opposite with a many clubs interested if brentford do not go up.

ALG01

Quote from: bobby01 on July 12, 2020, 12:51:14 PM
Sorry alg, no way can I agree with "Parker is forced to play dull football and grind out results with this squad."

and how would you describe the last four games? a thrill packed roller coaster of a team creating chances for fun. or more realistically a workman like side that occasionally gets in the box. we knock it aout in a very pointless manner, it is dull. slavs team stretched defences then sprang the trap.. we play left to right this season and then pass back to the keeper...hardly thrilling in terms of the football.

fulhamphil

It always rankles with me that Cyrille Regis was at Hayes in 1976/7 and we never heard about him and he ended up in the Midlands with WBA.  Sometimes a club is only as good as it's scouting system.   

092.gif

Tabby

Quote from: ALG01 on July 12, 2020, 02:46:00 PM
Sorry alg, no way can I agree with "Parker is forced to play dull football and grind out results with this squad."

and how would you describe the last four games? a thrill packed roller coaster of a team creating chances for fun. or more realistically a workman like side that occasionally gets in the box. we knock it aout in a very pointless manner, it is dull. slavs team stretched defences then sprang the trap.. we play left to right this season and then pass back to the keeper...hardly thrilling in terms of the football.

I would put that on Parker more rather than thinking that players who were tearing up the division as recently as two seasons ago suddenly becoming bad players.

I don't think Parker would have the Brentford players performing like they are now.

fulhamphil

Currently featuring in Brentford's Premiership bound side are players from Spain, Denmark, France, Algeria. Fulham have no players from any of those nations currently in the first team and I doubt we have any decent scouts even covering these leagues. At Brentford Manager Frank is a younger version of Roy with a meticulous and schoolmasterly dedication to unearthing the talent to fit Brentford's ethos. The Dane brings incisive knowledge of the European scene plus excellent coaching skills while the board sensibly trust and support his judgements. It's light years away from our own set up. When those in charge feel a permanent long term deal on big money for Anthony Knockheart represents good business then you realise the size of the problem at Fulham.

Tabby

Quote from: fulhamphil on July 12, 2020, 03:35:41 PM
Currently featuring in Brentford's Premiership bound side are players from Spain, Denmark, France, Algeria. Fulham have no players from any of those nations currently ...

Anthony Knockheart represents good business then you realise the size of the problem at Fulham.

Mate, where do you think Knockaert is from? And if it is that they have to be signed directly from France, we have Le Marchand and Kamara.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Tabby on July 12, 2020, 03:43:19 PM
Currently featuring in Brentford's Premiership bound side are players from Spain, Denmark, France, Algeria. Fulham have no players from any of those nations currently ...

Anthony Knockheart represents good business then you realise the size of the problem at Fulham.

Mate, where do you think Knockaert is from? And if it is that they have to be signed directly from France, we have Le Marchand and Kamara.

Kebano was born in France as well.

bog

Quote from: Texas White on July 12, 2020, 02:13:19 PM

092.gif

Fulham scouts came and watched him along with many others. They never Made an offer which was crazy as the Hayes chairman was a lifetime Fulham supporter.

That makes it 1000000000 time worse!!!  :031: :031:

shepperton white

It's not all bad news, we've scouted two or three youngsters lately; one from PSG, one from Scotland, another from where? Exeter where Ollie Watkins is from.  My beef is getting anything back for efforts - i.e. Liverpool

ALG01

Quote from: Tabby on July 12, 2020, 03:21:24 PM

I would put that on Parker more rather than thinking that players who were tearing up the division as recently as two seasons ago suddenly becoming bad players.

I don't think Parker would have the Brentford players performing like they are now.

It is some and some for me.. they have a better balance in their squad.

bobbo

every time i see this sort of reply mentioning slav  i along with you and i hope many other think the club lacked patience. He didnt suddenly become a poor manager he had players trust upon him with no prem experience . but hey ho that goes for most clubs now . no patience . wycombe wanderers classic example of patience.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Statto

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on July 12, 2020, 03:55:27 PM

Yep. IMO there's a legitimate discussion to be had about why we don't bother looking at Watkins-types in the English lower leagues, but you can't criticise us for a lack of scouting in the French, Belgian and other obscure European leagues. If anything, our problem has been too much recruitment from those areas because they're always a gamble.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on July 12, 2020, 07:52:57 PM

Yep. IMO there's a legitimate discussion to be had about why we don't bother looking at Watkins-types in the English lower leagues, but you can't criticise us for a lack of scouting in the French, Belgian and other obscure European leagues. If anything, our problem has been too much recruitment from those areas because they're always a gamble.

Brentford fill their squad with players from lower leagues partly, because they don't have youth development. We are hoping to bring through juniors at our own club that either play for us or we get big money to finance buying too players. If we only get a million for Harvey Elliott expect TK to change the model from junior-development to young-adult development.

As for rectruitment from France, I actually think we haven't so much recrtuited too much from France but haven't given players a run in the team long enough to find their feet (Seri and Anguissa) and the few players that have been given an extended run like Atyie have got injuried.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 13, 2020, 03:12:06 AM
Quote from: Statto on July 12, 2020, 07:52:57 PM

Brentford fill their squad with players from lower leagues partly, because they don't have youth development. We are hoping to bring through juniors at our own club that either play for us or we get big money to finance buying too players. If we only get a million for Harvey Elliott expect TK to change the model from junior-development to young-adult development.

As for rectruitment from France, I actually think we haven't so much recrtuited too much from France but haven't given players a run in the team long enough to find their feet (Seri and Anguissa) and the few players that have been given an extended run like Atyie have got injuried.

Are you going to just ignore the Sessegnon brothers, Rodak and Bettinelli (to name a few) in your posts? I tried to bring this up in another thread were you tried to point to the uselessness of the academy (based on the pretend figure of 1 million) while ignoring everyone but Elliott. It becomes a meaningless discussion if we just cherry pick one example and ignores the rest.

FulhamStu

This thread shows how people twist the facts to support their view and is interesting if only to observe that.

It's ok to compare us to Brentford, but you have to also admit, they have done things that nobody else has, they have found a way to buy excellent players at low prices and sell previous assets for huge profit.  Well done to them, I expect their success is due to a mixture of good process, judgement and luck.  Brentford are the team of the moment, how long however will that last ?   Maybe a few years, let's wait and see.

Mo threw money at Fulham in the lower leagues, bought players much better than the division and Fulham had great fun.   This was a strategy that some people criticised at the time, but it worked.

The Khans are investing very big into Craven Cottage, Motspur Park, and the Academy.  They also spend a lot of money on the first team squad, some of it well, a lot of it, not so well.  Why do they spend as they do?  I would suggest there are 2 main reasons.  1) They can afford it.  2) They are in it for the long term.   Football is full of successful clubs that buy success, it's proven.  You know who they are and most recently Chelsea, Man City are the most high profile examples.  Man United will always be one of the best clubs, why ?  Answer is because they are the richest.

I would much prefer a club who invest for the long term, Brentford are doing brilliantly well, they can have their moment in the sun and good luck to them, many many clubs are struggling, nobody compares Fulham with Charlton or Sunderland etc etc but there are far more of them than the Brentford's of this world.