watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chambers

Started by ByTheRiver, August 06, 2020, 12:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

Just thought I'd add it to its own thread: I've seen a few calls now to bring Chambers back. Personally, I don't see why. He never really settled at CB (bit of a disaster really there) and ended up a bit of a light amongst a lot of darkness playing as a basic DM breaking up play. I think Reed (and even Arter) can do that to an equal level and for a lot less money. In the cold light of day, did he do that much or is he seen through rose tinted glasses as that spell under Claudio R was pretty bleak.

Do we really need him? Would the money be better spent elsewhere? What are folks rationale for wanting him?

Deuce

Wouldnt mind signing him, think he'd be useful considering his versatility. But yeah, id prefer Reed.

Colton F.C.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Colton F.C. on August 06, 2020, 12:27:10 PM
I think we need him (if fit):

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/may/25/calum-chambers-player-of-the-season

'A protector of the back four' - do we not already have those? I'm not saying we don't need him, just looking for opinions as to why. Posting the player of the season link is not really an argument - I know he was voted that and addressed it in the question re. rose tinted glasses. What has he done since (other than receive some bad injuries)? I think maybe we view his time here in a slightly elevated way due to how poor we were.

If Zambo returns, I would say we could leave CM pretty much and concentrate funds in other positions more in need of an upgrade.

Statto

Quote from: ByTheRiver on August 06, 2020, 12:06:39 PM
Just thought I'd add it to its own thread: I've seen a few calls now to bring Chambers back. Personally, I don't see why. He never really settled at CB (bit of a disaster really there) and ended up a bit of a light amongst a lot of darkness playing as a basic DM breaking up play. I think Reed (and even Arter) can do that to an equal level and for a lot less money. In the cold light of day, did he do that much or is he seen through rose tinted glasses as that spell under Claudio R was pretty bleak.

Agree, most of the credit he got from fans was for effort rather than talent IMO

Colton F.C.

Defensive Midfield ia a position that always carries a fair amount of injury risk.  Harrison Reed played only 25 League matches and fair few of those where he was absent was down to injury.  Chambers is a player familiar with the club and provides continuity a theme taken in other posts....... 'Effort' is good.

Deeping_white

My main memories of Chambers would be him doing quite well to win the ball back, but then as soon as he attempted a pass that was longer than 5 yards, he'd just end up lumping it out for a throw in. Not a bad player if you're defending a 1-0 lead but not the best for ball retention.

Also knackered his ACL so out for a fair while and once you have that sort of injury you're lucky if there aren't long term repercussions and reliability issues.

Woolly Mammoth

I would take him, he punches his weight and is an honest player, and he stood out and shone in a struggling Fulham team, having to put up with playing alongside milky no nut players like Schurrie, Seri, Vietto, Zambo, and that on loan Man U RB to name but a few.
Can you imagine having to train with that bunch of deadwood and passengers, and I haven't even mentioned Fabri and Rico.
Yet Chambers always gave 100% despite carrying half the team who clearly unlike him had no heart or passion or guts for the fight.
So yes I would take him because alongside the current players he would embrace the team and look even better than he did in that awful disastrous season.
He shone when others ran away.
You can always tell the face of cowards, it's the back of their head when they retreat from the battlefield.
Chambers is not one of them.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ffc73

Signed as a CB and failed miserably.
Tried at right back and appalling.
In desperation played in centre mid-field in a sunk ship of a shipwreck season and he was player of the season for effort alone.

If we are aiming to survive for more than one season, as the boss says, lessons have to be learnt from last time. 
To me that does not mean re-signing triers but signing players that can do the job they are signed to do.

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC73 on August 06, 2020, 12:57:59 PM
Signed as a CB and failed miserably.
Tried at right back and appalling.
In desperation played in centre mid-field in a sunk ship of a shipwreck season and he was player of the season for effort alone.

If we are aiming to survive for more than one season, as the boss says, lessons have to be learnt from last time. 
To me that does not mean re-signing triers but signing players that can do the job they are signed to do.

I don't think any reasonable assessment on Chambers abilities as either a CB or RB can be drawn from those limited appearance in a completely disjointed team that fell apart all over. He may very well be a good PL centre back. He seemed to have a semi-regular starting place in Arsenal this year before the injury however, so would be surprised if he was available for any reasonable fee.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Deuce on August 06, 2020, 12:19:05 PM
Wouldnt mind signing him, think he'd be useful considering his versatility. But yeah, id prefer Reed.

I love Harrison... but if Calum was healthy I think he's a better version of Harrison.  He looked really good playing CDM in the game we won against Everton.

If we can't do the deal for Harrison Reed, Calum Chambers would be on my radar immediately.  He's a better #6 than Harry Arter too.

rebel

Player of the Season, it was his midfield role that won him that. He was a bit shakey at the back.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2020, 07:37:14 PM
If it wasn't for the odd couple of goals he scored then I bet hardly anyone would want him back as he offered us about as much protection as a split condom. Failed in his own position and did marginal better in dm as we had no one else to really compete for that position

It's easy enough to watch our last 5 matches from the 18/19 season, where Chambers was our CDM.   He wasn't marginally better.  He was better than Harrison Reed against better competition.   

People are really going to forget that he was good at CDM?

Statto

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on August 08, 2020, 07:51:33 PM
He was better than Harrison Reed against better competition.   

Nonsense. Reed reads the game better, anticipates and positions himself better, is more mobile, confident on the ball, and can pick and execute a good pass. Basically all the things a midfielder is supposed to do. Chambers was a CB out of position who threw himself around bravely but demonstrated little or no technical ability. The fact that was enough to win POTY shows what a sh1tshow we were back then.

YankeeJim

Quote from: ByTheRiver on August 06, 2020, 12:06:39 PM

Do we really need him? Would the money be better spent elsewhere? What are folks rationale for wanting him?

What he said. Reed is better.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Whitestone

Reed is better for the reasons that other posters have already mentioned. I do think that Reed like Chambers last season is being viewed through rose tinted glasses at the moment due to his immense performances after the lockdown, not the whole season. He's a player who has had a disjointed injury prone year only playing 24 games. That said I hope we sign him permanently for a sensible fee.

fulhamben

Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2020, 07:37:14 PM
If it wasn't for the odd couple of goals he scored then I bet hardly anyone would want him back as he offered us about as much protection as a split condom. Failed in his own position and did marginal better in dm as we had no one else to really compete for that position

It's easy enough to watch our last 5 matches from the 18/19 season, where Chambers was our CDM.   He wasn't marginally better.  He was better than Harrison Reed against better competition.   

People are really going to forget that he was good at CDM?
it is easy to watch the last 5 games as we were already relegated and played with freedom and no pressure. Why don't you look at the 9 games before that where we lost all 9 conceding 23 goals.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

3-lions

Think Chambers is at the point in his career where he needs to settle in one position . We saw the best of him as DCM. So if we sign him thats got to be his position for FFC.

Sadly he is just returning to fitness after a major injury and wont be back until 2021.
So no use to us until jan 2021 at the earliest.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Statto on August 08, 2020, 07:56:35 PM
He was better than Harrison Reed against better competition.   

Nonsense. Reed reads the game better, anticipates and positions himself better, is more mobile, confident on the ball, and can pick and execute a good pass. Basically all the things a midfielder is supposed to do. Chambers was a CB out of position who threw himself around bravely but demonstrated little or no technical ability. The fact that was enough to win POTY shows what a sh1tshow we were back then.

If you can show me the stats to back that up I'll concede.

Until then we'll agree to disagree.

Hopefully Harrison will have the chance to prove me wrong in extended minutes against premier league competition next season.

filham

No , sorry but not good enough, Reed is better and has to be the minimum acceptable .