Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

Quote from: rebel on August 20, 2020, 07:44:25 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 20, 2020, 03:30:59 AM
Quote from: Statto on August 19, 2020, 04:31:22 PM
Quote from: Riverside on August 19, 2020, 02:19:02 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 19, 2020, 01:46:00 PM
Quote from: SuffolkWhite on August 19, 2020, 01:13:31 PM
Buying a house takes months and that's without signing on fees, staying up bonus, goals bonus, clean sheet bonus, win bonus, games played bonus, release clause, Europa place bonus, Cups, plates, saucepan and the kitchen sink!

These things take time, nothing to Reed in to it  :005: 

Buying a house is much more complicated but I agree with the fundamental point you're making

This got me thinking
I am not sure if buying a house is more complicated
- only 2 parties vs at least 3 ( 2 clubs and a player )
- survey = medical
- both involved agents
- insurance for both
- no sell on clauses
- no FFP
- no bonuses
- no wage structure to worry about 

Regardless for most of us it is certainly less money

The third party would be a mortgage lender unless you're paying cash. I'm sure it seems very simple from your perspective, but behind the scenes your lawyer is checking all manner of things like whether there's any radon at the site and whether you've a historical obligation to contribute to the upkeep of local churches. No sell-on clauses, FFP.... but 100+ other things I could list here. And for the parties it's proportionately far more money.

Generally, if you buy a house in Fulham it doesn't fall down 6 months later with opening a door the wrong way, but Mawson's knee can fall apart with the lacing of his boots the wrong way. There is also psycological issues such as Seri's influence on the dressing room and Antonee Robinson's disruption of the wage structure.

The other issue is the buying of players "involves five parties" including the media and the fans. In 2018, Fulham spent £120 poorly according to the media, but no one knew Bournemouth spent £94m in the same season until the accounts came out.

A strong case could be made that Tony Khan spent his £120m better than Eddie Howe spent his £94m despite what media reported at the time. Many of the clubs that people think spent well are just not being honest at the time and I have never seen anyone criticize a club when the real accounts come out 20 months after the players were bought.

Universities that have studied the average football clubs' accounts have found around 60% of the purchases were mistakes, but many clubs lead their fans to think they spent less than they did so think they are getting 70% correct. An example is MAF didn't even realize how much Tigana actually spent until near the time he sacked him, due to sell-on clauses, bonuses, and other things adding £7m to the expected costs.

Tony Khan is averaging around 60-70% mistakes, which is better than many other DOFs if they were honest about the costs. Tony Khan needs to improve a little to be an average DOF in terms of spending effectively but not near as much as many think.

If he spends £80m this season spread over time (such as preseason, the start of the season, summer deadline day, winter transfer window open and winter deadline day) with only some of the purchases being good signings and the rest providing something, it may be enough to scrap a 17th position, especially if Leeds and WBA aren't smart with their purchases.

Bournemouth had a host of injuries throughout the season. You could argue that they lacked depth.

Official Bournemouth Accounts show £94m of investment in 2018 for Jefferson Lerma (DM), Dominic Solanke (CF), Diego Rico (LB), Chris Mepham (CB), and David Brooks (RW), they still couldn't keep them up.

toshes mate

There are a whole lot of reasons why a house may fall down or a knee may capsize under any weight placed upon it.  Why, when and where are just three of a very long list of anomalous reasons for things that happen or not as the case may be.  Human beings are not, in general, renowned for being prescient.   At best we have rules and methods that guide us into best practice but they are sometimes less than useful at the very cutting edges of our march to progress.  If SARS-CoV-2 is ever proven to be a laboratory fashioned virus it will become another example of what can go wrong.

The Harrison Reed transfer situation is also a composite of a lot of factorials about which most of us will know very little.  As the saying goes everything is possible until it becomes impossible or vice versa.  Playing out the charms and deceits of those involved may appear to be an influence if you think that way but sometimes we need to accept that we will never know the why's and wherefore's.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

This speculation is getting a little boring - yes I know that I don't have to read it if I don't want to!
Just let things happen as they happen. The opinion is that he wanted to come to us so let's just wait and see.

filham

Funny how this Reed matter has dragged on, we all thought that if we gained promotion it would be a formality similar to the Cav. and Knock deals.

alfie

Quote from: filham on August 20, 2020, 09:51:47 AM
Funny how this Reed matter has dragged on, we all thought that if we gained promotion it would be a formality similar to the Cav. and Knock deals.
Fulham probably thought it was a formality as well, but I suspect H-R and his agent are perusing other options that have expressed an interest.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Sting of the North

How do you know that the Cavaleiro and Knockeart deals were more of a formality than Reed? Do you have insight into those negotiations, or was it reported somewhere?

Statto

But how long after signing Knockaert and Cavaleiro on loan did we complete the "formality" of making them permanent?

6-12 months.

So why are we surprised that it's taken a fortnight to wrap-up the Reed deal?

ALG01

Quote from: Statto on August 20, 2020, 01:10:06 PM

But how long after signing Knockaert and Cavaleiro on loan did we complete the "formality" of making them permanent?

6-12 months.

So why are we surprised that it's taken a fortnight to wrap-up the Reed deal?

I am not defending the club but i think everyone went on holiday for two weeks and I suspect whatever is going to happen will start to happen soon. The club tends to spin things out to make the announcements more of a fanfare. Well at least i hope that is the issue.