watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Udo Onwere

Started by spikey norman, August 18, 2020, 05:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikey norman

For those of you who remember Udo who played for us in the early 90's his name came up in the local Brighton paper the Argus today.
Udo trained to be a lawyer once he retired from playing football which I never knew.
Today he was in court defending Rio Ferdinand against a driving ban for speeding down here in Hove.
Anyone know of other interesting professions our ex players have gone into once they ended their playing careers.
I know Ivor went into pest control.

rebel

Teddy Maybank was on a gameshow, Weakest Link I think.

rebel

Most stay in football in some capacity.

filham

Johnny Haynes ran a laundry in Edinburgh and became a Hearts fan.
Fred Calaghan became a Cabbie.
Bobby Robson became manager of England.

cmg

Ian Black and Eddie Lowe had a sportswear shop in Tolworth.

Bedford Jezzard was landlord of the Thatched House pub in Dalling Road.

spikey norman

Quote from: rebel on August 18, 2020, 05:43:31 PM
Teddy I believe still lives down here in Brighton.
I think he is in construction.
A few years ago he turned up at a friends house to repair her creaky wooden floorboards and told some funny stories of his time at Chelsea and Fulham.

SP

Our best away day ever was at Torquay when Udo, I think, scored an unlikely winner. Great memories.

Motspur Park

Was also on...... Blind Date!!!!

rebel

Quote from: spikey norman on August 18, 2020, 06:00:30 PM
Teddy I believe still lives down here in Brighton.
I think he is in construction.
A few years ago he turned up at a friends house to repair her creaky wooden floorboards and told some funny stories of his time at Chelsea and Fulham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0mXKsqOACc

thebumponleroyshead

Quote from: SP on August 18, 2020, 08:17:53 PM
Our best away day ever was at Torquay when Udo, I think, scored an unlikely winner. Great memories.
He leapt like a salmon great header I was there proper fun train ride home.
Oh You Lucky People We're the Best Team in The Land

SP

Quote from: thebumponleroyshead on August 18, 2020, 08:31:52 PM
Quote from: SP on August 18, 2020, 08:17:53 PM
He leapt like a salmon great header I was there proper fun train ride home.

I camped down there with the kids, plenty of pasties along the way. Brilliant.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: spikey norman on August 18, 2020, 05:26:30 PM
For those of you who remember Udo who played for us in the early 90's his name came up in the local Brighton paper the Argus today.
Udo trained to be a lawyer once he retired from playing football which I never knew.
Today he was in court defending Rio Ferdinand against a driving ban for speeding down here in Hove.
Anyone know of other interesting professions our ex players have gone into once they ended their playing careers.

Udo currently plays and is Captain of my Sunday Football team, he is still as fit as a fiddle, and his appetite and desire is as strong as ever.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

tslyon

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 19, 2020, 01:16:43 AM

Udo currently plays and is Captain of my Sunday Football team, he is still as fit as a fiddle, and his appetite and desire is as strong as ever.

That made me smile!

Cheers,

Steve

spikey norman

Quote from: fulhamfever on August 19, 2020, 09:36:26 AM

What a lie

"He was fined and given a six-month ban for the offences, which all happened on the same road, despite recruiting the help of celebrity lawyer Nick "Mr Loophole" Freeman."
https://news.sky.com/story/rio-ferdinand-gets-six-month-driving-ban-after-being-caught-speeding-12051760

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18658692.rio-ferdinand-banned-driving-speeding-near-brighton/

Says here Udo was defending.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: filham on August 18, 2020, 05:49:05 PM
Johnny Haynes ran a laundry in Edinburgh and became a Hearts fan.
Fred Calaghan became a Cabbie.
Bobby Robson became manager of England.

Talking of Fred - anyone know how he's getting on?

General

Geoff horsefield is in property. I seem to remember there was also something philanthropic about what he did with properties too.

spikey norman

After retiring Peter Storey got into the world's oldest profession by running a brothel.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: spikey norman on August 21, 2020, 09:29:08 AM
After retiring Peter Storey got into the world's oldest profession by running a brothel.

I bumped into Peter Storey on Shaftesbury Avenue, he was part of a three man crew delivering soft drinks to one of the Theatres in that road. He had not long left after serving in one of her majesty hotels due to that particular trade and similar. 
That must have been around 1983/84, he looked like a ghost, as white as a sheet. 

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: spikey norman on August 19, 2020, 10:21:47 AM
Quote from: fulhamfever on August 19, 2020, 09:36:26 AM

What a lie

"He was fined and given a six-month ban for the offences, which all happened on the same road, despite recruiting the help of celebrity lawyer Nick "Mr Loophole" Freeman."
https://news.sky.com/story/rio-ferdinand-gets-six-month-driving-ban-after-being-caught-speeding-12051760

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18658692.rio-ferdinand-banned-driving-speeding-near-brighton/

Says here Udo was defending.

He plays in midfield for me,

Never forget your Roots.