watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just a word on our defence/Tim Ream

Started by 70sPimlico, September 10, 2020, 12:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

I read an awful lot on here regarding the awful defence we have.

Tim Ream is singled out as some sort of geriatric bystander in our back 5.

It has been like this for a few years and it is often the same posters. Now, you have every right to single him out if you so wish but I happen to think that the times our defence has looked all at sea is nearly always when the tactics (or performance of players) in front of them is so piss poor, it has left them on a hiding to nothing.

Throughout much of the start of last season, Tim was past it, too slow etc and at times in the season he was horribly exposed. Then for the last 3rd I thought he played superbly.

I am fairly certain our wide players were under strict instructions to put their bodies on the line tracking back. AK especially and Cav noticeably introduced this into their game. Add Reed into the mix and all of a sudden our defence gets to Wembley and makes the BMW Middlesex Globetrotters look toothless.

Tim Ream really suits our style. Without question, one-on-one against a quick premiership striker, he's struggling big time but he has great positional sense and if every player does their bit around our defence, we won't be the punch bag that some people thing.

Weirdly, I think you find that Hector may be the one to struggle to come to terms for a while as his positional sense, first touch and short passing is not as good as Tim's. He will give us a few heart attacks receiving the ball short.

Having said all of that, we do need an upgrade at the back.

absenteeism

Both are Fulhsm players.

Both are popular and try hard.

They will make mistakes against a very good arsenal attack.

I trust them too though. I think they will surprise a few especially with the protection of zambo, reed in front of them

colinwhite

Tim has done brilliantly for the club. We need to strengthen central defense and that is  no more a reflection on him that signing top class keeper was connected to Rodaks performances. Its a squad game and they will both play a big part in our season, wether it be as starters or back up. Dont underestimate the power of competition for places.

hongkongfulham

At this point we just need to get behind the lads. They will need us this year and hate to think that people will get on their backs early if results aren't flowing.

Really up for opening day, let have it boys!

Southcoastffc

Re Tim Ream, I don't have any stats to back this up, but my IMPRESSION (so I may be quite wrong) is that he most frequently made mistakes/played poorly when he came back from international duty. Sometimes he seemed to improve in the 2nd half of games.  Jet lag maybe?  I'd be pleased if he decided to give up international football.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

filham

So good to have a positive post on Tim Ream.
Tim is a favourite of mine and I think his defensive partnership with Hector is the best we have seen since Hughes and Hangeland.

In fact with the introduction of Hector, Reed in front of the back four, Rodak in goal and our full backs being more cautious with their attacking adventures our defence has looked a lot better and have produce a number of clean sheets.

It is possible that Ream is going to be under pressure in the premier league and we may need a faster player but let us be clear he again played a major role in our promotion.

toshes mate

As I have said before Tim Ream is an excellent game reader and, from that aspect alone, would be hard to improve upon.  Hector has shown a different skill set and may be better at marking his man although that can mean he loses sight of a more dangerously placed striker.  Together they represent our promotion winning defence, and, it would seem, the defence we will in some way or another open with on Saturday.  Many goals can seem to be down to defenders when, as the OP says, the mistakes are caused by players further up the pitch who fail to cover 'breakdowns' when possession is lost.  During one match after the break last season Parker can be seen urging his midfielders to 'keep the ball' repeatedly.  We need sharpness from the whole team on Saturday to buy us the kind of result Jokanovic wished for when he opened our season with a win against much fancied Newcastle without what he could have regarded as a 'proper' centre forward (apologies to Matt Smith).  Our pacier wide players must cover when the ball is not in their quarter of the pitch and be alert to breakaways.    If we get things right we can start this season with a win.   

Statto

Quote from: 70sPimlico on September 10, 2020, 12:05:07 PM
Weirdly, I think you find that Hector may be the one to struggle to come to terms for a while as his positional sense, first touch and short passing is not as good as Tim's. He will give us a few heart attacks receiving the ball short.

Do you have an example of Hector inexcusably being caught out of possession recently? Personally I haven't noticed any errors in his positioning

And whilst there were a couple of misplaced passes, there were still more from Ream this year (including at least a couple in the play-off final) 

Can I also clarify that in relation to Ream, by "positional sense" we mean him compensating for his lack of pace by standing five yards off his man. Which is fine if we're not playing the offside trap, and if we're content for there to be no immediate pressure on the striker when he receives the ball, and for him to be free to bring it under control and turn (and then skin Ream anyway...)

ByTheRiver

Let's revisit this circa 2.20pm on Saturday afternoon.

Radiowhite

Reams not good enough for the prem. Was disastrous 2 seasons ago and even made many mistakes last year. He's almost 33, time for people to realise we won't be successful this year with ream playing each game.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Radiowhite on September 10, 2020, 01:36:18 PM
time for people to realise we won't be successful this year with ream playing each game.

Thankfully for us, it doesn't matter what we think

AnOldBrownie

Tim has my support 100%. I'll also support whomever we hire to challenge him for that starting position also.

The sour taste from that last Leeds game is still fresh in my mouth.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

filham

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 10, 2020, 01:53:37 PM
Tim has my support 100%. I'll also support whomever we hire to challenge him for that starting position also.

The sour taste from that last Leeds game is still fresh in my mouth.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk
Don't expect to win against Arsenal, a consolation goal and a good general performance will do. The pressure starts with the Leeds game, we need a result there for one or two reasons.

Matt10

Ream could honestly play the best match ever versus Arsenal, it won't matter, he can't win supporters back after something that happened two years ago. This is a recurring theme for a lot of our players unfortunately - but it's also the nature of the beast of sports in general. I'm very thankful the players have someone like Parker to motivate and inspire themselves. The proof has already taken shape by us being promoted through many trials and tribulations. Ream was integral in both sides of that, but that is literally what it means to be part of a team. You lose and win as one, or you listen to the naysayers and breakdown as individuals.

At this point a ball just needs to be kicked to get a glimpse of an understanding of where Ream's game is at. It's the only way to find out, and no amount of those stuck in the past or those optimistic about the future can prove otherwise.

snarks

Quote from: Statto on September 10, 2020, 12:56:51 PM
Quote from: 70sPimlico on September 10, 2020, 12:05:07 PM

Do you have an example of Hector inexcusably being caught out of possession recently? Personally I haven't noticed any errors in his positioning

And whilst there were a couple of misplaced passes, there were still more from Ream this year (including at least a couple in the play-off final) 

Can I also clarify that in relation to Ream, by "positional sense" we mean him compensating for his lack of pace by standing five yards off his man. Which is fine if we're not playing the offside trap, and if we're content for there to be no immediate pressure on the striker when he receives the ball, and for him to be free to bring it under control and turn (and then skin Ream anyway...)

I can recall Hector getting caught out of position a couple of times, when there was a long punt downfield, from the opposition keeper.

Generally his positioning is good. Ream I always feel gets too much blame when things go wrong. I do think he needs a strong left back along side him. Interestingly he was player of the year with Targett there (albeit for 1/2 a season), and when Bryan improved his defending so did Ream's performance. He is integral to the way Scott wants the team to play, and if there is to be a replacement he needs to be as comfortable on the ball. One of those types will cost a fortune.

Stef 73

Can see tim getting motm saturday in a backs to the wall 0-0 draw.  049:gif

FFC In Oz

Tim wasn't up to Premier League standard 2 seasons ago, and he is now 2 years older.

I think he's OK to fill in as a back up here or there due to injury/suspension, but he is definitely not good enough to start consistently in this league.

If he is, we will be exposed consistently.  And by most teams, not just the good teams

Statto

Quote from: Stef 73 on September 10, 2020, 04:20:51 PM

Ream only looks like a good defender when we don't actually have to defend. So I'm happy to stick my neck out and say he won't win MotM on Saturday.

Jim©

Quote from: Statto on September 10, 2020, 04:43:00 PM
Quote from: Stef 73 on September 10, 2020, 04:20:51 PM

Ream only looks like a good defender when we don't actually have to defend. So I'm happy to stick my neck out and say he won't win MotM on Saturday.

Looked pretty good in the playoff games if I remember correctly and very good in the run in and we had a fair bit of defending to do there as we had to play W Brom, Forest, Cardiff, Brum (3 of top 6) and didn't concede a goal. I guess if people have a downer on someone, they'll struggle to change their opinion of them very easily.

filham

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 10, 2020, 01:17:40 PM
Let's revisit this circa 2.20pm on Saturday afternoon.
Shame the ground will have been empty and the REEE-------M chant will not have been heard.