more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Post Match Thread: Fulham 0-3 Arsenal

Started by Milo, September 12, 2020, 02:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: PaulJ123 on September 12, 2020, 03:33:46 PM
Think it's time to look past the rose tinted glasses and realise that Kebano isn't and won't be up to PL standard.

Could do with a new, quick winger in the next week. Let's hope Boetius joins.

Kebano was the most effective of our front three. Not a starter but definitely good enough to come off the bench.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 12, 2020, 02:33:50 PM
Ok game. Good reminder that players like Reed and Hector is not necessarily part of a decent spine at this level. Odoi, Cairney and Ream our three best players.

If we keep grinding and trying to play our game, we will get points from lesser teams than Arsenal.

Cairney was average at best.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: PaulJ123 on September 12, 2020, 03:33:46 PM
Think it's time to look past the rose tinted glasses and realise that Kebano isn't and won't be up to PL standard.

Could do with a new, quick winger in the next week. Let's hope Boetius joins.

I have less of an issue with Kebano at this level than I do Ivan at this level.   We loaned two players from EPL squads last year and I don't see either of them being good offensive options against better defenses.   Kebano plays well with Mitro...so I see his value.

I don't think Cav or Knock play well with Mitro...neither has good hold up play, neither can beat their man and Knock is good at crossing on the side where we don't play him.

Need size, strength and pace on the wing (which is why I keep harping on old Babel).   

We need a winger.

Bryanthebroom

Feel like we should have tried harder for Eze/Diangana.

I know we were playing a good Arsenal team, but today felt like a carbon copy of our performances 2 seasons ago. Played some pretty football in the middle of the park, but toothless in attack and making huge mistakes at the back.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Bryanthebroom on September 12, 2020, 03:59:34 PM
I know we were playing a good Arsenal team, but today felt like a carbon copy of our performances 2 seasons ago. Played some pretty football in the middle of the park, but toothless in attack and making huge mistakes at the back.

I have to say this part sums up my feelings too. It felt very familiar. Lots of times in 18/19 I felt we played well, missed some chances (or lacked the final ball), shipped a silly goal (or two...) and were unlucky. But eventually you realise you can't be unlucky every week...

WindyCity

I actually thought FFC looked competitive during first half.  Obviously the two goals conceded were garbage and poor work by Ream and Hector.  But possession was good, and had a few chances to score.  But the offense was weak in the final third for the most part and for most of the game. 

Obviously need help with the backline four.  First taste of top flight for Hector, I think he can learn from it and improve.  But we need either help or need to get better with what we have.  String of winnable games coming up starting with Leeds next week, and we need to capture points during this time because if we don't we're gonna be out of it before we can blink twice.

copthornemike

Good point - we were very predictable and didn't have someone who looked like they could create a bit of magic. Eze is that sort of player whereas I would argue only Kebano looked he would beat a defender and create something. At no time did we get behing their defence other than when Gabriel sent a poor back pass.
In contrast Arsenal had Aubangeyang and Lacazette who left our defenders for dead at times - not to mention Gabriel for his goal.
It always felt as though Arsenal has an extra gear if they required it - unfortunately they didn't.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: VamosFFC on September 12, 2020, 03:32:12 PM
Yes, I thought we actually had an OK game. We weren't played off the pitch or anything like that. Arsenal just took their opportunities and converted them. We also played our passing game quite well I thought against a good team like Arsenal, but once we got into the attacking third we have no outlets. That's one of the areas we really need to improve in.

Agree with this too.

itombomb

Having Zaha makes a difference, but you look at that Palace XI and it really does tell you a) how good a manager/coach Roy is and b) how important it is to be solid at the back and not make stupid mistakes.

clarkey

I am amazed at the negativity frankly.

At least we looked like a proper team, kept fighting and played some decent stuff at times.
Arsenal are a very good, well coached team.

Of our players no one disgraced themselves, and some looked good. Some selections are not so good though. Cav was awful and I don't think touched the ball second half once. Why Kebano got taken off first I have no idea, at least Neeskens tried to beat his man.But we need a goal scorer to play alongside or just off from  Mitro and that means spending big.AK47 looked pretty good and put in a shift, but this is high level stuff and we need a fox in the box type.

It obviously is not Bobby.

At the back we would have been OK if not for that horlicks in the 7th minute.So keep the faith, Scott's got the team playing the right way.Centre Back would be good.And Hector needs to jump defending corners.Bryan and Odoi played well, amazed at the criticism.

AnOldBrownie

Actually it felt like last season (last Leeds game).   We need two more players.  One attacking and a CB.   We already have 3 new FBs.

We'll be fine, but our offense has to be more than crosses into the box.   Give and goes like we saw Joe Bryan do with Mitro in the championship game should be the norm.     

We don't know what to do most of the time unless it's a cross in the box, and that is going to be way less effective in the top tier, where they have better CB pairings.

Edit:  Sitting here watching the Palace v Southampton match.     

Sure, Palace has pace that we'll have to figure out, but from purely a ball playing perspective we don't look like we can't beat either of these teams.

We really need a tall strong CB to help defend set pieces though.

Whitestone

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 12, 2020, 04:05:26 PM

I have to say this part sums up my feelings too. It felt very familiar. Lots of times in 18/19 I felt we played well, missed some chances (or lacked the final ball), shipped a silly goal (or two...) and were unlucky. But eventually you realise you can't be unlucky every week...

I agree with this but trying to stay positive because it's only game one and against a resurgent Arsenal. We really don't help ourselves when we concede sloppy goals early on though.

simplyfulham

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 12, 2020, 03:41:33 PM
Ok game. Good reminder that players like Reed and Hector is not necessarily part of a decent spine at this level. Odoi, Cairney and Ream our three best players.

If we keep grinding and trying to play our game, we will get points from lesser teams than Arsenal.

Couldn't disagree more, I thought he was one of a handful of players who looked comfortable for us today.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: simplyfulham on September 12, 2020, 04:55:05 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 12, 2020, 03:41:33 PM

Couldn't disagree more, I thought he was one of a handful of players who looked comfortable for us today.

Agreed.

I think Tom hasn't lost a starting spot based on today's performance.   If anything against Leeds I slot Anguissa into Tom's spot, but move Tom further forward to where Onomah played.

Tom needs to have shots on goal.   Thought his performance was more notable today than Onomah's.

Midfield wasn't really our problem.

Lordedmundo

I'm trying not to be too down - Arsenal are a top six side in top three form at the moment. 

We need to give the team another 2-3 games to settle , but certainly they need to press and battle a bit more than they did today - in other words for the whole 90 mins rather than 60 or so.  The peformance was incredibly flat and passive from the second half KO, there didn't seem to be a belief that we could come back from 1 goal down.

I think it confirms what we all know - our defence is not good enough. We need at least one centre back to come in who is an upgrade on both Hector and Ream and hope that Tete or Aina are an upgrade at right back (although I think Odoi was one of our better players today). 

All about opinions - but I thought Reed was off the pace, Onomah hardly in the game, Kamara plenty of effort but not enough quality (bring back Babel!) and Bryan doesn't seem quick enough at this level.  But in all honesty nobody played great - and we cannot change the entire first 11 for the next game! However - I think Lemina, Anguissa and Robinson may be pushing for a start very soon.

cmg

Apart from goalkeepers', centre-backs' errors are the easiest to identify and, usually, have the most immediately damaging outcomes. The highly paid pundits on the box do it all the time with their tricksy little highlight circles showing how, if the CB had been six inches closer, the striker wouldn't have scored. There's nowhere to hide for a CB (or keeper). Hector looked quite decent last term and certainly should be given time to show he is (or isn't) up to the PL.
It would be nice to recruit a really top class CB. But potential candidates are few.

The most encouraging feature, to me, of today's experience was Anguissa's half-hour. Looks a midfielder of real quality.

Chobby

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 12, 2020, 03:21:37 PM
Quote from: Chobby on September 12, 2020, 03:18:17 PM
The team did the best they could taking into account the opposition and the fact we are in the Premiership now, so I'm proud of the boys today who got us back up into the Premiership; however, now we need to move on and upgrade.

My only gripe currently is we have still not brought in even one CB and this sits squarely with the recruitment in fact I'd say it's
The team did the best they could taking into account the opposition and the fact we are in the Premiership now, so I'm proud of the boys today who got us back up into the Premiership; however, now we need to move on and upgrade.

My only gripe currently is we have still not brought in even one CB and this sits squarely with the recruitment in fact I'd say it's diabolical, inept and quite frankly a disgrace.

But you don't know WHY we haven't brought in a quality CB.   Who are you looking at, and how much are you willing to spend?  Oh, and make sure you know that player wants to come to a relegation battle.    You make it sound very easy to do.
diabolical, inept and quite frankly a disgrace.[/b]

But you don't know WHY we haven't brought in a quality CB.   Who are you looking at, and how much are you willing to spend?  Oh, and make sure you know that player wants to come to a relegation battle.    You make it sound very easy to do.

My argument is they have had plenty of time to plan for different scenarios and make up a rather long list of potential targets that can improve our current central defence department. I do understand where you are coming from but the silence is deafening.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Chobby on September 12, 2020, 05:10:46 PM

My only gripe currently is we have still not brought in even one CB and this sits squarely with the recruitment in fact I'd say it's

My only gripe currently is we have still not brought in even one CB and this sits squarely with the recruitment in fact I'd say it's diabolical, inept and quite frankly a disgrace.

diabolical, inept and quite frankly a disgrace.[/b]

My argument is they have had plenty of time to plan for different scenarios and make up a rather long list of potential targets that can improve our current central defence department. I do understand where you are coming from but the silence is deafening.

I get what you're saying...   but even with planning for different scenarios...we're still Fulham.

People are saying that we can't even get Chris Smalling...who is better than any CB we have...

...the Arsenal CB that scored against us today...would have been a great signing, but he was probably being courted by the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United.   Manchester City...probably could use a CB.   Tons of teams can use a starting CB.   Manchester United have six CBs on their roster and they are looking for a starting CB.

Unlike some that post on this forum, I don't think Fulham FC are run by stupid people who can't see what simple forum posters can see.   They are working on getting a CB.  They've been working on getting a CB for a long time.  (unless they are stupid or blind or both)

It's frustrating...but it's not in our/they're control alone.

One Martin Thomas

We've got new fullbacks coming and we do need a Ream replacement; having MLM even in the bench speaks volumes !! Rodak may well be just a little bit too young for the Prem IMO !

Midfield needs a box to box type player & we do need a threat up front !

Apart from that ... Saturday ruined 😢

filham

I don't want to be critical of anyone. these were the players that won us promotion but today we were totally outplayed and never really looked like bothering a fast Arsenal team.

It could be a long wait for our first goal.